• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
vandal.elespanol.com

PS5 vendió 43.000 unidades en su primera semana en España, Xbox Series X/S 14.000

Ya conocemos las cifras de ventas de las nuevas consolas de Sony y Microsoft en nuestro país, que agotaron todo su stock en su primera semana a la venta.

Today we bring you some very special sales figures from Spain, those of the new Microsoft and Sony consoles, which debuted on November 10 and 19. Xbox Series X/S sold 14,100 units in its first week on sale in our country for both models, and PlayStation 5 43,000 units, also for both the normal and digital models. As you know, both in the case of PS5 and Series X both are completely sold out, so they sold their entire launch stock. A second batch of consoles will arrive for PS5 around December 15, although they are all reserved and cannot be purchased more for now, and for Xbox Series X it's uncertain when there will be more, although more units are expected to arrive in January. Xbox Series S still has units in stores, although at the moment it is also difficult to find.

Model breakdown:

PS5: 38k
PS5 DE: 5k

Xbox Series X: 10.5k
Xbox Series S: 3.6k

Comparisons with previous consoles:

PS5: 43k
PS4: 38k
PS3: 35k
PS2: 40k
PSP: 54k (!!)

Xbox Series X/S: 14k
Xbox One: 15k
Xbox 360: 14.9k

More info in the article (in Spanish).

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the PSP was really popular here, same with the Vita, it lasted way more than even in most EU countries.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Great results for Sony!

PS5 is sooo supply constrained atm. Crazy digital queues across the board.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
PS is so much more popular than Xbox in the majority of Europe. I think the strong affiliation of the PS brand with the European Champions League is a part of this.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox is closer to the PS5 than i expected tbh. Not bad.

Edit:
Seems like they managed to cater to the same 15k die hard Xbox fans with every console release lol.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Everything looks normal, wasn't a thread saying crazy numbers for PS5 world wide?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The PSP was huge lol, amazing how Sony killed theirs handhelds with the Vita.
EDIT: And wtf the XONE with higher numbers than the XSX|S

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Everything looks normal, wasn't a thread saying crazy numbers for PS5 world wide?
Spain isnt a market where Sony is gonna push more than the absolutely needed - they have this market more or less on lock, unless something big happens. Xbox being cheaper and stuf like GamePass is gonna help for market like Spain, but in the end the PS loyality is too big. This gen is gonna be mostly Nintendo+Sony again.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
These PS5 and Series X numbers simply reflect how many units Sony and MS sent to Spain, because they're all sold out, which is interesting to look at. I wonder how much they could've done if they weren't supply constrained.

As you know, both in the case of PS5 and Series X both are completely sold out, so they sold their entire launch stock. A second batch of consoles will arrive for PS5 around December 15, although they are all reserved and cannot be purchased more for now, and for Xbox Series X it's uncertain when there will be more, although more units are expected to arrive in January. Xbox Series S still has units in stores, although at the moment it is also difficult to find.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
doesn't this basically mean everything they could push out to market was sold, like were you able to see any of these in stock at launch week anyway?
so doesn't tell much?

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
VGchartz next-gen worldwide sales estimation (IDK if VGChartz is still reliable though):

PS5 2.1 to 2.5 million units sold.
XSX and XSS 1.1 to 1.4 million units sold.

https://www./article/446429/ps5-sold-an-estimated-21-to-25-million-units-worldwide-on-launch-day/

Edit: it is a banned site... so I think I have my answer about VGChatz being reliable or not :)

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Numbers will be interesting when we will get past the soldout phase, now we just know that Sony's stocks for Spain were 3 times bigger than Microsoft's.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017

Well ps4 was biggest console launch ever worldwide and they have beaten that by 15% in Spain as well as launching in more markets so... what can we say? Not much to glean from this really.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wondering if the Digital Editions are supply constrained/limited or if....no one wants them.

Almost certainly supply constrained in the case of the PS5 DE. My local store (massive retailer) got a ZERO allocation of digital editions. I ended up pre-ordering a disc version despite looking for a DE because that was all that was available. There were plenty of people in the pre-order threads that did the same.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Pretty much as expected, but then again, the supply is limited, so it's hard to judge.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If everything sells out then we can't really extrapolate a whole lot from the data other than "which company is manufacturing more and allocating to that country at a higher rate". It's good to know, but doesn't really tell too much.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Looks like a lot more for PS5 but I assume both are selling as many as they made right now. Spain is in Europe right? I wonder if things are the same everywhere there.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think the main thing I'm taking away from worldwide launch is that Sony made way more PS5's than Microsoft made Series S/X's.

Demand was obviously much higher for PS5 given its worldwide foothold - but I didn't expect them to make so many of these things before 2021...

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
Sony knows that they will sell any console that they can produce at this point. So, I think they are pushing the more profitable model right now (Blu-ray version).

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
If both are sold out then that more says that MS predicted the Xbox was never going to be in as much demand as the PS5 and shipped less. Which is fair enough. Good going for both then, those are healthy enough numbers.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Sounds about right for Spain.

I'm surprised by the (relatively!) good performance of XSS, compared to the PS5DE. I expected either less XSS, or more PS5DE.
But I assume this is also heavily impacted by shortages (it looked like Series S was the only console you could more or less easily buy without a preorder).

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
I want to see the UK numbers I think PS5 done crazy number's here. Ive heard from my friend that YODEL alone had 60,000 deliveries for PS5 on their own. He's only a warehouse guy though so could be bullshit.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Supplies seem constrained in all regions, it feels like that is going to be an issue in the short term. Sony would be able to sell a ton more units if they had them.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
So does Sony have a much bigger overall manufacturing capacity? Or is Microsoft being careful with their stock allocation so there aren't a bunch of launch Xboxes left on shelves for months after launch again?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like MS didn't expect much sales there. Interesting to hear their shipment sold out.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So does Sony have a much bigger overall manufacturing capacity? Or is Microsoft being careful with their stock allocation so there aren't a bunch of launch Xboxes left on shelves for months after launch again?
Waiting for RDNA2 caused a delay in thier pipeline. Phil confirmed it.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Sony only needs one production line to manufacture both their PS5 SKUs as the only difference in the disk drive, the bottom plate, and the packaging. Proof being that some people who ordered Digital Editions received physical disk units inside their boxes.

Xbox needs to separate production lines for Xbox Series since they differ completely from hardware, box, packaging, and controller (color).

So yes, Sony's manufacturing is much more streamlined.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure what I expected from Spain, but probably a bit more. Clearly not the focus for EU but as it's a pretty decent sized market in Europe I really thought more for PS5 tbh. Xbox probably around the numbers I expected.

Wonder where Sony focused the PS5 shipments in Europe.