• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Because new media can't say someone did something unless it has been proven, and with crime that usually applies to be being actually convicted of the crime.

Arrested murderers and arsonists are usually called "alleged murder/arsonist" until they are convicted as well.

It's a think news media has done for years.

https://archives.cjr.org/language_corner/jumping_off_allege.php
Yeah. It seems stupid in many cases, but it's done to ensure there's no possibility of using media coverage as a defence by saying it categorised the suspect as guilty before their trial.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Yeah. It seems stupid in many cases, but it's done to ensure there's no possibility of using media coverage as a defence by saying it categorised the suspect as guilty before their trial.
Yep. It's stupid but it also helps kepe newspapers from being sued for defamation for saying someone was X when it hasn't been officially proven.

The article I link suggested alternatives to saying allegedly that work just as well, but most news media always just falls back on the term because it's easier and works better than suspected as "alleged" implies they did in fact do the crime it just hasn't been proven yet.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is sick. What the hell?! The end of it shouldn't be him getting expelled from the show. He should go to court, producers working that day should be fired and the entire thing should be shut off.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It really says a lot about both Spanish TV and Big Brother that I'm not even particularly shocked at this. Spanish TV is awful even in the best of cases; literally unwatchable garbage most of the time. I didn't know Big Brother kept being produced after all these years but it doesn't surprise me either, it's the kind of trash that fits perfectly with all the other abominable stuff that airs here. The people that produce these shows sold their souls decades ago; there is no depth they won't sink to for ratings.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i only watched one of these show like 15 years ago.... But aren't the camera pretty far usually, especially in the bedroom at night? Maybe they just didn't realise immediatly a rape was going on? That's the only explanation i can think of...

But then showing it to her in these conditions, what the fuck? This is so dumb, they should just stop the whole show and start an investigation and put that asshole on trial