• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
Dozens of companies have announced they will no longer be advertising on the Spanish version of the TV reality show Big Brother after it emerged that a contestant had been shown footage of her alleged rape.

Carlota Prado was sent to the diary room to watch a video of how a fellow contestant apparently had sex with her when she was unconscious after drinking.

"Please, Super, stop now, please," a tearful Ms Prado asked. But the tape continued to play, with the Voice saying: "We think you need to see this, Carlota." The scene was never broadcast but was leaked to the Spanish press this week.

Until being asked to enter the diary room, Ms Prado had no idea of what had happened the previous night in her bed after she had been helped to lie down by José María López, her fellow contestant with whom she had started a relationship with in the house.

According to footage of the alleged rape, she said "no, I can't" to Mr López. But he then got into bed with the prone Ms Prado and allegedly had sex with her for several minutes before the show's production team spoke over the bedroom speaker to interrupt him.

"With hindsight we regret that the conversation where Carlota was informed took place in the diary room environment," the company said, adding that Mr López was expelled from the show and that Ms Prado was given psychological support after the diary room experience.

What the fuck.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like production fucked up in a number of ways here. How did they let it go on for several minutes???

That poor woman. Hope the sues the hell out of them. If there's any small shred of a silver lining, she's one of not enough women who can prove beyond doubt she was raped, so hopefully the legal system works as it should.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. Like...How does it take several minutes to realize you need to stop him. I understand wanting to inform her what happened, but not just fucking running a video and saying 'no we think you need to see this'...I THINK SHE CAN DETERMINE THAT HERSELF THANKS.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
What the fuck were they thinking showing her that footage? They should have put an end to that right then and there when the rape was happening.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
According to footage of the alleged rape, she said "no, I can't" to Mr López. But he then got into bed with the prone Ms Prado and allegedly had sex with her for several minutes before the show's production team spoke over the bedroom speaker to interrupt him.

What kind of sick fuck watches a rape-in-progress and doesn't do shit?

That's the kind of thing you stop RIGHT AWAY and call the police ASAP.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. So not only did they let the guy rape an unconscious woman, but they forced her to watch the fucking footage of it?!

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
So not only did they show her the rape but they watched her being raped for several minutes before stopping him.

What. The. Fuck.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Boy I sure hope he's not still in that house. Fuck him and the producer.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Toxic brand devolves into what the brand name implies. Perhaps in the me too era this will finally bring the franchise down or the ratings will surge and they will try to top this each year, who knows at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck were they thinking showing her that footage? They should have put an end to that right then and there when the rape was happening.
The same thing they were thinking by letting the rape happen: "Omg, think of the ratings!!... Oh, what? We can't air rape?.... aight, someone tell him to stop, I guess."

I've heard so many horror stories about how amoral and craven reality productions can be. They don't give a shit if they can't monetize it.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Did they call the police on him?? How the hell did they even let him start raping her, let alone let him do it for several minutes???

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
Multiple people watched him raping her and let the cameras roll...?

This is beyond reprehensible and the Big Brother franchise globally has so much proverbial blood on its hands with various incidents of violence and sexual violence that it's clear they are in desperate need of oversight--that is to say, I'm not proffering this as an excuse, but just in case people aren't aware, Big Brother houses are set up so that the filming is automated. Recordings are being made 24 hours a day by cameras that are mounted around the house. There are producers and technicians on hand at all hours but, especially if it was the middle of the night, they may not have been immediately aware.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like production fucked up in a number of ways here. How did they let it go on for several minutes???

That poor woman. Hope the sues the hell out of them. If there's any small shred of a silver lining, she's one of not enough women who can prove beyond doubt she was raped, so hopefully the legal system works as it should.

Someone in that production room thought that it would be AMAZING television.

Because people are ghouls.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to ask why they didn't set off a fire alarm and charge in there with the cops on the way.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully that kills that shit show and kills half of the programming in Tele5.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yup, it has been a thing on social media, I don't watch TV at all so I hadn't found out, but... It's some of the most disgusting shit I ever read, shocking even for Big Brother standards.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Mediaset should be full closed down, that channel is just a big pile of shit. They let someone rape a woman (they should be watched 24hours, yet they let that happens over minutes) and then show the video to the victim, just let that shit sink. Fuck all of them.

Boy I sure hope he's not still in that house. Fuck him and the producer.

He got kicked the day after but they didn't say why. Mind you this happened a couple of years ago, this is know now because has denounced. If not we would have never know.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine the producers being like "oh shit this is great reality TV right here" as someone is literally being raped.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Not wanting to hijack the thread but something similar happend in the Dutch program "The Villa" recently, when a participant was sexually assaulted and the production company (Blue Circle) did not intervene. RTL (the broadcasting company) removed the program from its schedule and also stopped broadcasting Temptation Island, Love Island and similar shows until things are investigated properly: "The results of the investigation must lead to a stricter ethical policy, whereby a safe environment for participants is guaranteed. These programs will not return before that time"

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't something like this happen on the U.S. show (by a swimming pool)? There was also a possible rape that aired on the Brazilian show several years ago. The franchise is trash.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy lack of judgement and decency. Trash tier people abound in producing that show it sounds like.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
3 minutes? WHAT THE FUCK

ARE YOU SERIOUS

fucking trash all-around.

really feel for the victim here. =(

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Think of the ratings. That was their lone thought until someone probably pointed out they could be in serious legal trouble.

yeah they saw this working for the controversy and didn't think about legal repercussions OR the fact that there was a human being getting harmed

this should be the end of the show or several people's careers

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington