• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Cumulative retail sales data as of week 44, 2018 for the following titles:

Red Dead Redemption 2 (ALL) - 182,000

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PlayStation 4) - 160,500
Red Dead Redemption 2(Xbox One) - 21,500

Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII (ALL) - 100,400

Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII (PlayStation 4) - 95,000
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII (Xbox One) - 5,400

The World Ends With You: Final Remix (Nintendo Switch) - 3,900

Luigi's Mansion (Nintendo 3DS) - 3,900

Soul Calibur VI (ALL) - 2,710

Soul Calibur VI (PlayStation 4) - 2,400
Soul Calibur VI (Xbox One) - 310

Starlink: Battle for Atlas (ALL) - 2,590

Starlink: Battle for Atlas(Nintendo Switch) - 2,300
Starlink: Battle for Atlas (PlayStation 4) - 250
Starlink: Battle for Atlas (Xbox One) - 40

Source: Hobby Consolas December 2018 No 329

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Cumulative retail sales data as of week 44, 2018 for the following titles:

Red Dead Redemption 2 (ALL) - 182,000

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PlayStation 4) - 160,500
Red Dead Redemption 2(Xbox One) - 21,500

Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII (ALL) - 100,400

Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII (PlayStation 4) - 95,000
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII (Xbox One) - 5,400

The World Ends With You: Final Remix (Nintendo Switch) - 3,900

Luigi's Mansion (Nintendo 3DS) - 3,900

Soul Calibur VI (ALL) - 2,710

Soul Calibur VI (PlayStation 4) - 2,400
Soul Calibur VI (Xbox One) - 310

Source: Hobby Consolas December 2018 No 329
Pretty good splits for Xbox, everything taken into account.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
TWEWY outselling Soil Calibur and Starlink is pretty amazing. Not sure how that one did overall but Im not sure if it did well enough to greenlit a sequel.

OP
OP
Bruno MB

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The World Ends With You (NDS) only shipped 20,000 units in Europe in its first 6 months. Here in just 1 market it sold 4,000 units in a month.

Still though overall sales don't suggest it is worth investing on a new entry.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Speaking of which, I wonder if TWEWY will reach a million? It seems like it sold fairly decently both physically and digitally.

Sure, is not an immediate success like Octopath Traveler but it should have done fine (and it would have done even better if SE would have implemented more control options).

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Speaking of which, I wonder if TWEWY will reach a million? It seems like it sold fairly decently both physically and digitally.

Sure, is not an immediate success like Octopath Traveler but it should have done fine (and it would have done even better if SE would have implemented more control options).
Lol no not even close. That's not happening

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know if this is a fair comparison in any way, but I always did wonder how well a Nintendo game would do on other consoles... And whilst this isn't a Nintendo game in any way, it was heavily advertised as one, and it selling almost TEN TIMES as much as PS4 and XBOX One combined is just absolutely crazy.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
TWEWY outselling Soil Calibur and Starlink is pretty amazing. Not sure how that one did overall but Im not sure if it did well enough to greenlit a sequel.
It was in the eshop(US) for a while and charted in the switch NPD, this is a remaster of DS game sold at like 50 bucks, allow me to feel confident in saying that it has more than made back its share for a sequel

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Better controls, better critical reception, better sales.

For example, I was going to get it but the issues with the controls made me buy other RPGs instead.

You could apply this logic to basically any game. If they improved X thing the score would have been higher and so would the sales. The reality is the original game was not a great commercial success and it's just unlikely this remaster had a much bigger market out there just waiting for better controls.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Spain has always been a Sony country, tbh. Though Nintendo has historically some good presence
Exactly. All my friends have both a Ps4 and Switch, but none of them have a XO. Both Nintendo and Sony have good marketing here, Smash Ultimate being fully playable in a public event for he first time in Barcelona (only one day after the Direct) shows how much Nintendo Iberica cares about being in touch with the fans.

Man, Spain does not like Xbox
I can say the opposite too, the Xbox Spanish branch doesn't even care to be on the events or make good marketing here.

I remember that they tried to sell Kinect games during some Saló del Manga a few years ago, but Nintendo has established as the videogame main host of the event, one of the biggest in the country considering how many video game fans attend it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if this is a fair comparison in any way, but I always did wonder how well a Nintendo game would do on other consoles... And whilst this isn't a Nintendo game in any way, it was heavily advertised as one, and it selling almost TEN TIMES as much as PS4 and XBOX One combined is just absolutely crazy.

It's not really the same though. It only sold as well as it did on Switch due to Star Fox (the presence of which being the whole reason it got more exposure to the Nintendo audience). Star Fox isn't in the other versions.

If ever a proper Nintendo game released for the other systems as well (somehow) you can be sure it would perform better.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really the same though. It only sold as well as it did on Switch due to Star Fox (the presence of which being the whole reason it got more exposure to the Nintendo audience). Star Fox isn't in the other versions.

If ever a proper Nintendo game released for the other systems as well (somehow) you can be sure it would perform better.

Yeah it's a strange comparison for sure, but I can't think of anything else we can use that would give us a better idea! But yeah perhaps the other console owners would have bought more copies if it had Star Fox on the cover too.

I suppose all this proves is that if you have a new franchise, then sticking a known mascot on there will potentially increase sales ~tenfold, and this isn't even a relatively widely known mascot. Wonderful 101 would have probably also sold 10x if it did include Nintendo characters. And on a separate example, if it was just "Rabbids Kingdom Battle" it would have sold that much less. Shows how brave Nintendo were with Splatoon and Pikmin. It must be so tempting to just stick a known mascot in there.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah it's a strange comparison for sure, but I can't think of anything else we can use that would give us a better idea! But yeah perhaps the other console owners would have bought more copies if it had Star Fox on the cover too.

I suppose all this proves is that if you have a new franchise, then sticking a known mascot on there will potentially increase sales ~tenfold, and this isn't even a relatively widely known mascot. Wonderful 101 would have probably also sold 10x if it did include Nintendo characters. And on a separate example, if it was just "Rabbids Kingdom Battle" it would have sold that much less. Shows how brave Nintendo were with Splatoon and Pikmin. It must be so tempting to just stick a known mascot in there.
I'm sure that adding a mascot helps, but I think that a major factor was the fact that from the very start it was closely associated with Nintendo - with a special E3 appearance of Miyamoto and all. And basically all marketing was for the Switch version, too. Obviously those decisions and actions were due to the inclusion of a star fox character, but the non-IP related boost from this is likely not insignificant.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And some people are still surprised about the Xbox Software Sales

The saying "Xbox has only 2 markets they aren't completely irrelevant in" doesn't come without reason.
Everywhere outside of the US and UK Market is basically Japan for them.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

The saying "Xbox has only 2 markets they aren't completely irrelevant in" doesn't come without reason.

The brand is pretty strong in Canada. Though your general point remains.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

360 fared far better in Europe, obviously not to the success of PS3/Wii, but they still managed to shift over 25m units of hardware in the region which is certainly solid. They've got a tough task of regaining mindshare again next gen though. They can't fuck things up anymore than they did with XBO though, that's for sure.

People forget that Xbox sees a lot of success in South America though, eg Mexico and Brazil. It's not just North America and the UK. Spain is one of the weakest markets for them in Europe though, and indeed 360-era Japan-tier (even this performance is better than the literal non-existence of XBO in Japan).

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
People forget that Xbox sees a lot of success in South America though, eg Mexico and Brazil. It's not just North America and the UK

Mexico is in North America...

Still, though that may be true (I have no idea), those numbers aren't really very significant in the grand scheme of things. I've heard the same about Australia and New Zealand.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Imo the sequel was likely greenlit before they even released this.
I don't think they were expecting particularly great sales to begin with, but it seems to have done OK for what it is.
Not everything is destined to sell 1mil+ copies.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
360 fared far better in Europe, obviously not to the success of PS3/Wii, but they still managed to shift over 25m units of hardware in the region which is certainly solid. They've got a tough task of regaining mindshare again next gen though. They can't fuck things up anymore than they did with XBO though, that's for sure.

Before this generation started I thought Xbox was going to really push in Europe this time, with the 360 they'd captured the US and the UK. But they dropped the ball in a bigger way than then did with even the various 180s they did at the start. All the Tier 2 stuff was just plain weird. It was like they were forced to release much earlier than they expected and were just completely unprepared.

FerozElMejor

Jul 8, 2018
I still think that TWEWY should be on 3DS (and maybe Switch too), it would be really better to play and more people would play the game.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018

How does everyone forget Mexico ? The Xbox one is actually outselling the PS4 if I remember correctly (maybe wron)