• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
MOD EDIT:

We have no intention of banning discussion of this game outright, and the views of the director can be relevant. However, it is clear that there will be no peace in these threads without tighter moderation and brighter lines. Therefore if that discussion is to happen we are laying down two ground rules:

1. Vávra's views on a multitude of subjects are offensive and racist. Defense of his views will be moderated like any other defense of racism. Do not try to find sneaky ways to circumvent this ruling, like singling out Vávra for nonspecific praise or support.

EDIT: We appreciate everyone who took the time to contact us privately to help improve our policies. After discussion and review, we are softening enforcement of the last sentence of Rule 1 – this was never intended to forbid discussion about Vávra as a writer or a developer but rather to close a loophole whereby posters were deliberately attempting to provoke others with vague drive by posts. You should still not do that. However, it is certainly possible to appreciate the accomplishments of the development team without subscribing to Vávra's personal views.

2. Buying this game does not automatically make someone a horrible person and nothing will be learned or gained by anyone if you take that stance. Do not attack other members just for buying the game or enjoying mundane aspects of the game. Do not attempt to shame them.

There is room to discuss the game as a cultural artifact with nuance and in a manner where some actual exchange of ideas is possible -- but only if the above two conditions are met. If you do not feel you can adhere to those two conditions, do not post in these threads. Be advised that moderators may have to apply stricter penalties than usual to keep the peace.

First let me apologize for my english, I know it's pretty bad. I wanted it to share this in this forum.

Just like the title says. Between yesterday and today, a spanish reviewer got harassed for a review by misogynist people via twitter. After that, he changed the entire review.

The game I'm talking about it's Kingdom Come: Deliverance

This is the review after the change, I can't find the original since it has been edited. Of course the review it's in spanish.

https://www.vidaextra.com/rpg/kingdom-come-deliverance-rigor-historico-o-machismo-disfrazado

The reason for that harasment it's because the article was criticizing about how the game was sexism and historically inaccurate. Male chauvinist and historical loyalty does not serve as an excuse.

Also the article also says how the creator of the game, Vávra, is a confessed gamergater. On more than one occasion he has been in favor of the male chauvinist movement that started back in 2014 but whose sequeles continue to this day and which defends that there is not a problem on misogyny in the videogame industry.

Also there's more in the articule that I posted.

This is getting really depressing, seems like you can't even share your opinion because there will be people harassing you.

Last edited by a moderator:

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure these are the same people advocating for freeze peach to spout hatred lmao

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason for that harasment it's because the article was criticizing about how the game was sexism and historically inaccurate.
So the game is relatively accurate or relatively inaccurate with respect to the treatment of women?

Oct 27, 2017
The reason for that harasment it's because the article was criticizing about how the game was sexism and historically inaccurate.

Review sites need to source actual data/references if they are to claim 'historical inaccuracies', and not just say it because you feel that way, but provide proof of your claim.

Are they trying to say there was egalitarianism back then, where the 'sexism' claim would be odd complaint if the game was going for historical accuracies itself, no?

Harassment is just low brow shit either way. Be constructive, fellow humans.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
For what I'm reading that is not a review, just an opinion article about hiding misogynistic views behind a so called historical accuracy.

You may agree or disagree but 1) again, its no a review 2) harassing the writer because you disagree makes you a piece of shit.

I think it would be cool if a mod can edit the info pointing that this is not a review but just an article.

OP
OP
Kainé

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
So the game is relatively accurate or relatively inaccurate with respect to the treatment of women?
Review sites need to source actual data/references if they are to claim 'historical inaccuracies', and not just say it because you feel that way, but provide proof of your claim.

Are they trying to say there was egalitarianism back then, where the 'sexism' claim would be odd complaint if the game was going for historical accuracies itself, no?

Harassment is just low brow shit either way. Be constructive, fellow humans.

As far I know, the article also says that the dev is using "historical loyalty" for his sexism. It's just an excuse for that.

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (5 days): Citing a hate group as a source
Did they list some sources or proof to claim historical inaccuracies?

The so called "historian" of Eurogamer proved to be a not reliable source
*link removed*

Last edited by a moderator:

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh another review not reviewing the game but the lead developer instead.

The game isnt sexist at all IMHO.

The writer being harassed is bullshit though, that should never happen.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I remember in the first hour, we're introduced to Henry's mother. Her husband greets her with slap ass. Later we see Henry and his father admiring another female character's butt, of which the camera zooms in on.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, how was the review changed? I don't really speak spanish, so sorry if I'm reading anything wrong, but it seems like he's saying that it would be absurd to pay the negative comments any mind when he's received a lot of support for his review.

That doesn't justify the harrassment in any way, but the tweet you linked really doesn't sound like he's letting himself be too impacted by it, thankfully.

Or did he change it to even further press on the same points and make the people who are harrassing him even more pissed? That I can see.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I, for one, and surprised that people who sympathize with a Gamergate would resort to harassment when people disagree with their opinions.

For what I'm reading that is not a review, just an opinion article about hiding misogynistic views behind a so called historical accuracy.

You may agree or disagree but 1) again, its no a review 2) harassing the writer because you disagree makes you a piece of shit.

I think it would be cool if a mod can edit the info pointing that this is not a review but just an article.

Ahh another review not reviewing the game but the lead developer instead.

The game isnt sexist at all IMHO.

If this isn't claiming to be a review - I don't read Spanish so maybe it does - then I think this demonstrates why a title change is in order.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember in the first hour, we're introduced to Henry's mother. Her husband greets her with slap ass. Later we see Henry and his father admiring another female character's butt, of which the camera zooms in on.

A husband lovingly slaps his wife on the butt. How is that sexist?

Later Henry is admiring a female's butt because he is infatuated with her. Where is the sexism?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Btw, gotta LOOOOOOOOVE how the discussion in this thread isn't going to be about a dude getting harassed for an opinion article.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Kainé

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, how was the review changed? I don't really speak spanish, so sorry if I'm reading anything wrong, but it seems like he's saying that it would be absurd to pay the negative comments any mind when he's received a lot of support for his review.

That doesn't justify the harrassment in any way, but the tweet you linked really doesn't sound like he's letting himself be too impacted by it, thankfully.

Or did he change it to even further press on the same points and make the people who are harrassing him even more pissed? That I can see.

He edited the name of the article and some other things, that's for sure. You can see when the articule got published and when was edited.

Oct 25, 2017
They do in their proper review here

https://www.vidaextra.com/analisis/...o-a-guerrero-en-un-impecable-ejercicio-de-rol

this is just an article, thing is that both comes from the same person, but he doesn't dive into mysoginistic talk in the review.
So it's not even a review, but just a piece on sexism in the game?

This is a weird thread.

Still sucks that he got harrassed over it, and the thread should stay for that reason, but it really needs to be reworded, especially the title, so the discussion can have anything to do with what actually happened.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A husband slapping his wife's butt really? Is the game sexiest if it's portraying a sexiest world?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an OPINION piece, not his review.

It's absurd that he's being threatened over this. I don't get why this one game is drawing this level of vitriol and ire from so god damn many to lose their minds. Everybody needs to step back a little.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So it's not even a review, but just a piece on sexism in the game?

This is a weird thread.

Still sucks that he got harrassed over it, and the thread should stay for that reason, but it really needs to be reworded, especially the title, so the discussion can have anything to do with what actually happened.

The only thing I'm seeing is that he took off the article, then put it latter again. Dunno if it got changed, I don't follow Vidaextra and he didn't mention any change other than it being took off but it's possible.
I do see the shitstorm he got in Twittter though :/

Oct 25, 2017
He edited the name of the article and some other things, that's for sure. You can see when the articule got published and when was edited.
I see, but it seems like he's still making the point he wanted to make about sexism in Kingdom Come, and from that tweet it seems like he's getting a lot of support and not letting the harassment get to him.

Doesn't sound like someone retracting their opinion because of harassment, even if said harrassment is still unacceptable.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far I know, the article also says that the dev is using "historical loyalty" for his sexism. It's just an excuse for that.
So, let me get this straight.

Im still a bit confused. Is the article saying that because the game is historically accurate (I have no idea if it is), it is sexist?

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
A husband lovingly slaps his wife on the butt. How is that sexist?

Later Henry is admiring a female's butt because he is infatuated with her. Where is the sexism?
I didn't say it was sexist I just thought it was out of place. Similarly,

That side quest where you ran errands for Lady Stephanie rewarded you with sex without warning. Oh, I got a nice shirt. Nope, it's actually sex because completing a shopping list is apparently enough of a requirement for sexual conquest.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Let's be real here, I playfuly slap my wife's arse from time to time. I'm sure I'm not the only one either. Does that make me sexist?

I've got 35 hours in the game so far and have not seen anything sexist or racist.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't read like a review at all.

Let's be real here, I playfuly slap my wife's arse from time to time. I'm sure I'm not the only one either. Does that make me sexist?

I've got 35 hours in the game so far and not seen anything sexist or racist.

You're not alone, and no the act isn't sexist when I do it to my wife nor is misandry involved when she does the same to me.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Sending hostile and unsolicited PMs to another user. History of hostile behavior.
I didn't say it was sexist I just thought it was out of place. Similarly,

That side quest where you ran errands for Lady Stephanie rewarded you with sex without warning. Oh, I got a nice shirt. Nope, it's actually sex because completing a shopping list is apparently enough of a requirement for sexual conquest.

How is a husband giving his wife's butt a loving slap out of place? Eh whatever.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The article is implying that since the game is presenting some historical inaccuracies like the son of a blacksmith getting his own horse or using potions to heal are not realistic, there is no reason to not take more liberties like a better portrayal of womens

I really don't know who they are, isn't Kotaku a reliable source or i am missing something?

Kotaku in Action is a gamergate reddit which shits in SJW sites like kotaku

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Character issues with the director aside, I think they need to provide receipts if they claim the game is going too far away from historical accuracies of the time.

Edit: If we're referencing a slap on the ass between a husband and wife...that's not sexism.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The OP seems inaccurate. The author wrote an opinion piece, not a review. He did get harassed, but his tweet is essentially a call to "ignore the haters" and it does not appear he substantially altered his article. If you can find evidence of otherwise, PM a moderator to discuss reposting the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.