• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Centrist shill Speaker, trying to enfranchise ~700K citizens and reduce the rural, white slant in the Senate.

OP
OP
Autodidact

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they can. I'm not quite sure why they chose DC first, but I'm sure there's a strategic reason.
DC would actually be the harder of the two because of the constitutional ambiguity and definition of the term "federal district." PR would be a clear-cut case of adding a territory/commonwealth as we've done about 50 times in the past.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
lol what a center-right shill /s

(cant wait for two years of "House passes progressive legislation, goes nowhere in the senate")

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
DC would actually be the harder of the two because of the constitutional ambiguity and definition of the term "federal district." PR would be a clear-cut case of adding a territory/commonwealth as we've done about 50 times in the past.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Getting the tougher one out of the way first, then.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has Schumer indicated his thoughts on new states (in case the Dems take the Senate in 2020)?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But then they'll have to change their license plates to have some other passive aggressive slogan

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can they do one for Puerto Rico or does that have to come from there itself?
They can. DC's the harder sell of the two. (But really we should be adding 6-7 in total.)
Pretty sure they can. I'm not quite sure why they chose DC first, but I'm sure there's a strategic reason. How did Puerto Rico's last statehood referendum go?
The "no statehood" people sat out when it was done under Obama, which is a pretty dumb tactical move given what happened next w/ Trump & the Hurricane- I don't think they can turn it down now.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they can. I'm not quite sure why they chose DC first, but I'm sure there's a strategic reason. How did Puerto Rico's last statehood referendum go?

Wasn't there a poll a few years ago where 40% of Americans didn't know that Puerto Ricans are US citizens? I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it'd be harder to argue against DC statehood vs Puerto Rico.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
They voted for statehood. Congress just needs to pick it up and run with it

Hell yeah, glad we're all on the same page.
Wasn't there a poll a few years ago where 40% of Americans didn't know that Puerto Ricans are US citizens? I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it'd be harder to argue against DC statehood vs Puerto Rico.

That sounds about right. I imagine more people know now thanks to all of the Hurricane Maria coverage.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
All of the territories who fit the requirements and have the desire to be states should be considered by this Congress. I don't care how it affects the composition of the house or senate, it's the right thing to do.

XenodudeX

Oct 25, 2017
Jacksonville, Florida
If wyoming can be a state with two senators,then DC should also be a state with two senators. But of course that would give black people more power in congress. We can't have that now can we?

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
All of the territories who fit the requirements and have the desire to be states should be considered by this Congress. I don't care how it affects the composition of the house or senate, it's the right thing to do.

Well partisan Republican hacks care. They already only skirt by winning national congressional elections via gerrymandering. Now they will have to gerrymander districts full of democrats...makes it very difficult!

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
They can. DC's the harder sell of the two. (But really we should be adding 6-7 in total.)

The "no statehood" people sat out when it was done under Obama, which is a pretty dumb tactical move given what happened next w/ Trump & the Hurricane- I don't think they can turn it down now.
You could always do my idea and make evreysingle native american lands that exist within california their own state if the want to be ones

Add like 90 states and california is blue enouph that i think they would agree to. This plan , and it doesnt really split the state up"

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
DC and PR statehood should be huge Democratic priorities. It should be +3-4 senators.

If they keep the house and win the senate and presidency in 2020, they could basically do them both on DAY ONE.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could always do my idea and make evreysingle native american lands that exist within california their own state if the want to be ones

Add like 90 states and california is blue enouph that i think they would agree to. This plan , and it doesnt really split the state up"
They won't go for it for the same reason Scotland's basically stuck in the UK- Rural areas aren't very economically productive and have massive wealth transfers via taxation/redistribution at both the state and federal level.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed. It's long overdue. No U.S. citizen should be denied the rights or representation of ones born elsewhere. That's basically what our nation was founded on: lack of representation in government.

And there shouldn't even be such a thing as a "non-citizen national", which is what people in U.S. Samoa are.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, you need 50+1 in both the House/Senate, fillibuster doesn't apply.
Really, this can't be fillibustered? Interesting. Actually kind of shocked they didn't try to give statehood to DC and PR back in 2009/10, although I realize that the ACA took up 99% of their time and political capital.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DC absolutely should get statehood. That would be amazing both for residents of DC and the nation as a whole.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure Puerto Ricans don't want statehood.

Only less then a quarter wants to. And my mom being a Puerto Rican herself and VERY liberal, doesn't want it either.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is this not centrist tho. Is there any Dem at all who wouldn't support this?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really, this can't be fillibustered? Interesting. Actually kind of shocked they didn't try to give statehood to DC and PR back in 2009/10, although I realize that the ACA took up 99% of their time and political capital.
If you have 50+1 and any part of it is fillibusterable you can just change the rules. Parts of it might technicaly apply but it's just a basic resolution, not a law, so you won't get pushback on removing it (similar to how it's dead for appointments now.)
Nope. It ignores the executive.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure Puerto Ricans don't want statehood.

Only less then a quarter wants to. And my mom being a Puerto Rican herself and VERY liberal, doesn't want it either.
It's been pretty close until recently. I think the "less than a quarter" you're referring to was actually the turnout for the 2017 referendum. 23% of eligible voters turned out, compared to the 78% of the 2012 referendum, due to some political leaders calling for a boycott of the vote (lol) after they lost the 2012 vote.

1993 status referendum: commonwealth won 48/46
1998 status referendum: "none of these options" won
2012 status referendum: statehood won 61/33
2017 status referendum: statehood won 97/3*

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Really. What's her reasoning? Seems like nothing but upside vs current status quo?
Honestly, there's a lot of fear mongering going on about statehood. I went to school there as a kid and I remember teachers telling us that if PR became a state, it would be stripped of its language and culture. The "less than a quarter" was actually voter turnout in the latest referendum (23%), though. It won by two thirds in 2012 with 78% turnout and the opposition called for a boycott after their defeat, leading to statehood winning again by a landslide in 2017.

Last edited:

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017

Centrist shill Speaker, trying to enfranchise ~700K citizens and reduce the rural, white slant in the Senate.

Hopefully people will now understand why certain posters here were calling for Nancy not to be elected speaker again. They don't actually want a progressive that good at her job.

And I'm sure the fact that she's a woman had absolutely nothing to do with it. /S

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Really. What's her reasoning? Seems like nothing but upside vs current status quo?

Honestly, there's a lot of fear mongering going on about statehood. I went to school there as a kid and I remember teachers telling us that if PR became a state, it would be stripped of its language and culture.

Culture and language has little to do with it.

PR has it's own problem with it's Government.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All U.S territories should be states, I dont get how Democrats never thought of doing this long ago.

Besides the fact that it's the right thing to do, it would neuter the Republican party in its current form, putting majority power in Democrats hands long enough to push meaningful legislation and reform.

Unfortunately, this also creates an issue as it likely makes it more difficult to abolish the Senate, it's only a temporary solution to counter the right-leaning/rural skew of the Senate.

Hopefully people will now understand why certain posters here were calling for Nancy not to be elected speaker again. They don't actually want a progressive that good at her job.

And I'm sure the fact that she's a woman had absolutely nothing to do with it. /S

Certain posters? Its likely majority of the posters who hate on Pelosi just fall for disinformation campaigns.

If you guys are going to insinuate all the time, you should just be more direct, kind of annoying.