• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
You think a president who actually committed a crime and engaged in a years long cover-up is less impeachable than one who possibly obstructed justice over a crime they didn't commit? That is an amazing read on the current situation and history.
While Nixon is bad, please keep in mind that Obstruction of Justice itself is a crime, regardless if it's obstructing something that may or may not be a crime. It was stated plainly today, multiple times, that Trump would be indicted were he not in office.

Seeing as the obstruction was specifically in efforts to cover up and stop investigation of other potential crimes over the past 2+ years as well, includes witness tampering and intimidation, and could have involved influence on that person even being in office?

I'd say it is at least nearing Nixon level bad.

Kowpucky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it always sound like Trump always give interviews next to a PS4? Can barely hear the reporters
I was just thinking watching this that he always does these interviews beside a running helicopter for that exact reason..... so the public can't actually here the question. All people hear is the story and lies he wants them to hear. I couldn't hear a single question.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
While Nixon is bad, please keep in mind that Obstruction of Justice itself is a crime, regardless if it's obstructing something that may or may not be a crime. It was stated plainly today, multiple times, that Trump would be indicted were he not in office.

Seeing as the obstruction was specifically in efforts to cover up and stop investigation of other potential crimes over the past 2+ years as well, includes witness tampering and intimidation, and could have involved influence on that person even being in office?

I'd say it is at least nearing Nixon level bad.

No that was not stated, and Mueller even went so far as clarifying his comments during the HIC hearing.

As to the second point, your inferring crimes that might have been committed. Nixon had tapes that contained them talking about crimes were committed. The Supreme Court ruling against him was essentially the end of the road as no reasonable Congressman or Senator could possibly protect the president once those tapes came out.

This of course ignores everything that was done in the course of the Special Counsels investigation into Watergate which included the actual firing of the Special Counsel (as well as others who refused to carry out the presidents demand).

Anyone comparing this to Watergate in terms of scale and import is fluffing for effect and nothing more.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
No that was not stated, and Mueller even went so far as clarifying his comments during the HIC hearing.

As to the second point, your inferring crimes that might have been committed. Nixon had tapes that contained them talking about crimes were committed. The Supreme Court ruling against him was essentially the end of the road as no reasonable Congressman or Senator could possibly protect the president once those tapes came out.

This of course ignores everything that was done in the course of the Special Counsels investigation into Watergate which included the actual firing of the Special Counsel (as well as others who refused to carry out the presidents demand).

Anyone comparing this to Watergate in terms of scale and import is fluffing for effect and nothing more.

A seating President's administration was attempting to and in some cases definitely coordinating with a foreign aggressive power to sway our election process (and likely did in ways the public hasn't fully gotten a grasp on). ALL of these guys, Page, Manafort, Flynn, Stone, etc. we're supposedly just doing that of their own volition? Bullshit. They had matching orders. We just don't have HD audio and video proving as much (although volume 1 of the report curiously redacts the parts where some of these individuals, like the campaign manager were talking to Trump). But THEN this motherfucker tries to strong arm witnesses, obstruct the investigation and shut it down? Something every innocent person would do right?
While it may not be Exactly comparable to Watergate, I can't take anyone seriously who downplays any of this stuff going on.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
A seating President's administration was attempting to and in some cases definitely coordinating with a foreign aggressive power to sway our election process (and likely did in ways the public hasn't fully gotten a grasp on). ALL of these guys, Page, Manafort, Flynn, Stone, etc. we're supposedly just doing that of their own volition? Bullshit. They had matching orders. We just don't have HD audio and video proving as much (although volume 1 of the report curiously redacts the parts where some of these individuals, like the campaign manager were talking to Trump). But THEN this motherfucker tries to strong arm witnesses, obstruct the investigation and shut it down?

Not a single person has been convicted or charged with criminal conspiracy with a foreign power. If your argument is that contact with foreign agents constitutes criminal conspiracy it is not one shared by the Special Counsels office or there would have been charges related to such.

Something every innocent person would do right?

If I was president I would do everything in my power legally to minimize or dilute in the public's mind as partisan a special counsel investigation; why wouldn't you?

While it may not be Exactly comparable to Watergate, I can't take anyone seriously who downplays any of this stuff going on.

You're reading intent in my comment where none exists; suggesting that this isn't even in the same sport as Watergate (much less the same league) is not downplaying the egregious (but not criminal) missteps of the Trump campaign. In regards to obstruction, if one is going to make a comparison, this is Clinton levels of impeachable offenses.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
all this shit and again nothing happens

I 1000% guarantee that the next democratic president will be impeached, doesn't matter what for, republicans will do it anyway and it will work out for them. Because fuck the future that's why.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
all this shit and again nothing happens

I 1000% guarantee that the next democratic president will be impeached, doesn't matter what for, republicans will do it anyway and it will work out for them. Because fuck the future that's why.

I know this is how Republicans feel today.

giphy.gif

:/