• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GodzillaDB

Oct 25, 2017
Potential thread worthy news for fans of both Ruiner and tangible game releases. Special Reserve Games announced today that their planned physical treatment for Reikon Games' science-fiction shooter on the PS4 will be not released thanks to the recent mandate of ESRB ratings on physical console copies. I believe this might be the first actual game cancellation due to this new requirement from the rating organization outside of the mail-order 32X cover variant planned for Limited Run Games' Night Trap: 25th Anniversary Edition.

In late August, the ESRB announced a new mandate for all physical releases across all consoles would soon be required, and shortly after we announced our intention to produce Ruiner, we received word that this mandate would be applied to it and future new game releases. The process of obtaining this rating comes with a fee that puts the production costs for new releases like Ruiner out of the acceptable range for us to produce physical discs for PS4. This decision was agonizing, and we have tried multiple ways to reach a compromise, but sadly, we have had to change our plans to produce our intended collector edition PS4 discs for Ruiner.

More bits of information are available on the official website. Apparently, one release for Ruiner will still be launched within the next few weeks, likely on PC based from their past batches for Strafe and Shadow Warrior 2, along with some merchandise. Special Reserve Games further clarified that they will focus on "[producing] discs for legacy digital titles already on the market" at a more reasonable cost in regard to the ESRB requirements. These costs impacted another aforementioned distributor, Limited Run Games, who loaded down their July and August release schedule with a total of fourteen titles to bypass the sudden financial requirement for a selection of their catalog. Hoping for LRG to save the day? Doesn't look likely, I'm afraid. It appears the actually pricing for the rating fee is determined by the production cost of the game, thus making a costly hurdle that impacts small developers from making physical releases of their digital darlings.

If the ESRB are clamping down on digital-to-physical stuff in the U.S., perhaps those outside of its authority, like newcomer Strictly Limited Games (Germany) or even Eastasiasoft/Play-Asia (China), can make dreams come true?

Apologies if another thread already exists.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
This industry is managed as a joke. They're self regulating themselves, yet they are ADDING more costs to development. That's insane.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Limited Run Games ran into this problem recently, too.

ESRB requires physical releases get new ratings, because there were too many releases coming out that they weren't rating (and thus taking fees for). LRG ended up having to just roll with and work around it, since they didn't really have a choice. I can definitely see developers who see the physical versions as optional just not wanting to bother.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I understand it, ESRB basically granted digital-only games free ratings, while you had to pay if you wanted to print discs to put on shop shelves. The ruling clarifies that, yes, Limited Run-style releases have to pay up, and since all the console manufacturers make complying with the ESRB a certification requirement, that's the end of the matter.

In the case of Ruiner, since Special Reserve Games is literally Devolver Digital (in a similar manner to how Limited Run Games is literally Mighty Rabbit), I would be very hesitant for anyone else picking up Ruiner for a PS4 release. I am also not sure how legacy games would somehow be excluded by this, but we shall see.

As I understand it, the ESRB is the only notable ratings board that differentiates its fees based on delivery method, so I would expect any Limited Run style publisher based outside of North America to be unaffected (i.e. they would have had to factor in the age ratings fee that they would inevitably have to pay in the business model in the first place).