• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in the thread about star fox characters in the new starlink trailer, people were talking about possible future collaborations between nintendo and ubisoft. i was saying that i think it's possible, now that mario+rabbids and its DLC are done, davide soliani and his team may want to work with nintendo again. i looked at his twitter and it seems like he was on a trip to japan recently:

it obviously can be a personal trip, but then i saw in an earlier tweet tweet that he was accompanied by the team's combat designer:

do you think on this trip they could have pitched another idea to nintendo? obviously after the success of mario+rabbids both nintendo and the team may see more possibilities about future collaboration. of course if there is anything, it'll be years before we see or hear anything about it.
i'm interested to see what people think. am i reading too much into the tweets?

also, as a bonus, here's an iconic moment:
j1vzHQz.gif

also also, i don't know if speculation threads like this are allowed. if not, a mod can lock the thread.

Last edited:

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
My guess: they're already deep into production on whatever that game is. It was already clear at the E3 where the game debuted it was going to be good. That DLC didn't require the whole team.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to correct the 2 million sales- we don't know the sales numbers. He said in a Tweet he doesn't know the sales numbers.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"Ok so look, we do an Assassin's Creed game but with no blood or violent kills. It's stealth and cartoon violence. And it stars Sheik."

Nintendo: Here's $50 million dollars. Go make a Sheik game.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gimmee!

Mario + Rabbids is one of the best games on the Switch, so whatever these guys make for it, I'm there day 1!

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in the thread about star fox characters in the new starlink trailer, people were talking about possible future collaborations between nintendo and ubisoft. i was saying that i think it's possible, now that mario+rabbids and its DLC are done, davide soliani and his team may want to work with nintendo again. i looked at his twitter and it seems like he was on a trip to japan recently:

it obviously can be a personal trip, but then i saw in an earlier tweet tweet that he was accompanied by the team's combat designer:

do you think on this trip they could have pitched another idea to nintendo? obviously after the success of mario+rabbids (recently confirmed to have sold 2+ million copies) both nintendo and the team may see more possibilities about future collaboration. of course if there is anything, it'll be years before we see or hear anything about it.
i'm interested to see what people think. am i reading too much into the tweets?

also i don't know if speculation threads like this are allowed. if not, a mod can lock the thread.

Man ubisoft sold 2 million of rabbids give that guy a business ticket

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I know is Davide Soliani is a fucking treasure and too good for this world.

Would love to see him do another Nintendo game.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Man his reaction when they revealed Mario Rabbids at E3 was priceless. This is clearly a very passionate man and I would instabuy anything he makes if it has the same reverance and passion shown in Mario Rabbids.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I am hoping for a sequel personally.

I agree and would love a sequel. However, would they really need to fly to Japan and pitch that to Nintendo in person? Not that I know anything about how this works but with the first one selling 2 million I imagine they could probably pick up the phone and be like:

Ubi: "2?"
Nintendo: "Yes plz"

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I presume he went to Japan to give Nintendo an update on the game they've been working on for the last year.

Mario + Rabbids came out last August and I presume only a small team was needed for the DK expansion.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'd like something completely new. Between the base game and the Donkey Kong DLC I don't need more of this concept for some time even though I really liked it.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be okay with a Sequel with more Mario or another Nintendo franchise.

Wind Waker Zelda would fit perfectly.

Kyzon Xin

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take a sequel or even an all-star sequel where they go to different lands collecting various nintendo characters and their rabbit counterparts.

I want Rabbid Link lol

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the challenge they were given with Mario + Rabbids was to use a genre that has not been done by the Mario franchise before. It would be awesome to see that for another Nintendo franchise to a similar quality.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree and would love a sequel. However, would they really need to fly to Japan and pitch that to Nintendo in person? Not that I know anything about how this works but with the first one selling 2 million I imagine they could probably pick up the phone and be like:

i think even the biggest and most obvious sequels come out of a pitch, no? there has to be an idea presented to get nintendo's ok.

Personally I'd like something completely new. Between the base game and the Donkey Kong DLC I don't need more of this concept for some time even though I really liked it.
me too. i find the idea of something entirely new from them much more appealing than a sequel to m+r, and with the dlc a sequel feels even less necessary.
i want their style and humor combined with another nintendo series.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Splatoon + Rabbids would be great but I guess they are rather nostalgic for older IPs.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
What are we speculating about other than the fact that he might have met Nintendo? Is this a "which IP would you like him to be working on" thread?
There's a possibility that they might be collaborating but beyond that there's not much to discuss.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any game they are on will have my interest, whether that's a sequel or something entirely new.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
i think even the biggest and most obvious sequels come out of a pitch, no? there has to be an idea presented to get nintendo's ok.

Yeah nah you're probably completely right. I was just trying to justify the wave of possible different/new Ubi-Nintendo collaborations that span around my head as soon as I read this haha.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

I'm thinking if indeed they were in Japan to meet with Nintendo, it was to personally show off their progress on the new game rather than to pitch it.

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't Rabbids supposed to be released for Wii U and project moved to Switch that means surely they could have started the next project earlier than expected.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Mario + Rabbids 2 or Rayman (or both with rayman thrown into the mushroom kingdom) since Michel Ancel is busy working on Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me something new without disgusting Rabbids and I'm in, the passion of that developer was contagious.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of Mario and rabbids, hopefully future ubisoft x nintendo collaboration isn't a strategy game

Gimme action gimme Zelda shieks Creed

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
This guy is too pure and talented af. Hope he gets another big opportunity of using Nintendo IPs to create something cool.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
As much as I liked M+R after the main game and the DLC I'm not ready for a sequel. It's the kind of game that needs a decent time off to be exciting again, especially if it's just a straight M+R sequel. It'd be nice if they were working on something totally different.

Oct 27, 2017
They don't all have to be using Nintendo IPs. If they can even pitch ideas that would be a good fit for the Switch or the audience, I'd be fine with that as well. Especially if Ubisoft isn't bringing some of their other big Western titles to the Switch

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see this team take a shot at a new Mario RPG franchise, since I feel like the both the Mario and Luigi as well as the Paper Mario franchises are kind of tired.

This team clearly can come up with a creative combat system as well as has the animation chops to make games that have humor that actually lands. I would love to see them take a stab at telling a whole story.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
He's a friend of mine on Facebook. He's the fucking best and also an awesome photographer. It would not suprise me if Ubisoft Milan is already at work on the next project.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I hope he gets to do whatever he wants (and he's probably already knee-deep in doing just that). M+R surprised the heck out of me and then some. GOTY 2017 until I played Hollow Knight. Still need to play the dlc at some point.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
M+R 2 prolly is already in the works knowing Ubi and it shouldn't need a pitch.

If they are working on something else as well, i'd take a guess and say 3D Donkey Kong.