• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My belief and expectation is that Starfield is a PS4/Xbox One/PC game that will get a Fallout 4 style treatment at Bethesda's E3 showcase with a mobile app releasing at some point during the presentation of the game. Also expecting Starfield to be released in mid November 2018.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Historically speaking, Bethesda has filed the trademark for their next game near the end of development of their last one.

For example, Bethesda trademarked Skyrim in 2006, though in that case they picked up Fallout, and didn't end up doing meaningful development on it until after Fallout 3 was complete.

Starfield was filed near the end of Fallout 4's development, so being Bethesda's next AAA game seems plausible.

However, I do think that SweetNicole's point might be correct here. There's nearly a 0% chance that Bethesda's mobile game is an IP unrelated to any of their console games, so it's going to be Elder Scrolls, Fallout, or possibly even Starfield.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
At this time administrators cannot verify the contents of the quoted post made by Potterson in this thread are accurate. However, the user has shared information with us that suggests they could be in a position to know the information they claim in the post. As always, ResetEra members take full responsibility for what they post.
tenor.gif

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I want to get excited. It's just very difficult for me to do so with Bethesda developed games. I know it's going to be on that same tired engine that has some of the same problems it has always had. Todd Howard did hint that the game after their next game would be on a new engine. That game is no doubt ESVI for next generation.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if a mobile tie in to Starfield would be considered the second major project before TES6. I know they considered Fallout Shelter major, so maybe. I just can't imagine a new IP would come right after another new one, so it's got to be that or Fallout 5 before TES6. Super interedintto finally see what the hell this game is, though.

Eh, I feel like it's be too messy to tie them together. The nature of the Elder Scrolls world is... Complicated (to the best of my knowledge). So unless they want to do away with all their lore and say "it's a misunderstanding, Fallout is the REAL beginning," and explain that in Starfield, I can't see it happening. Let them be their own things with small nods to each other, I say.

Yeah, I'm not exactly an expert on TES lore, but going by what I have read about it... Well, honestly, it probably would be possible to get a space opera in there, I think? But only in the sense that the nature of reality in TES is super malleable because of the specific conceit behind why and how that universe even exists. It still wouldn't really fit thematically, though.

I'd be all for CDPR making the connection between The Witcher-verse and Cyberpunk's world they hinted at in TW3 more concrete, though. It'd be a cool little easter egg that would actually enhance The Witcher's lore, while not having any significant negative impact on Cyberpunk's. Like, it'd be perfect if one of the random side-quest givers in the game was just straight-up Ciri. She could talk about where she came from in deliberately vague terms, just like with the Cyberpunk reference in TW3.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if a mobile tie in to Starfield would be considered the second major project before TES6. I know they considered Fallout Shelter major, so maybe. I just can't imagine a new IP would come right after another new one, so it's got to be that or Fallout 5 before TES6. Super interedintto finally see what the hell this game is, though.
What they've said historically is that they have a major mobile game and two AAA games before TES VI.

Please note that they might get more than one major mobile game out in that timeframe.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Starfield has been in pre production for a very long time.

Since at least 2013

This shouldn't be surprising to anyone who follows Bethesda Game Studio development. They are usually in pre-production for several games at any given time while working on production of single game. Case in point, while they are production of the assumed Starfield, they have talked about another title coming out after Starfield and before the next elder scrolls. I would assume both those games (after Starfield and next elder scrolls) are well into pre-production at this point.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
What they've said historically is that they have a major mobile game and two AAA games before TES VI.

Please note that they might get more than one major mobile game out in that timeframe.
Oh, gotcha. I never heard the mobile game specification. That makes things even more interesting then.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone who follows Bethesda Game Studio development. They are usually in pre-production for several games at any given time while working on production of single game. Case in point, while they are production of the assumed Starfield, they have talked about another title coming out after Starfield and before the next elder scrolls. I would assume both those games (after Starfield and next elder scrolls) are well into pre-production at this point.

Yup. Pre-poduction on Fallout 4 began and then paused when Skyrim entered full-production. Likewise, pre-production on Skyrim began when Fallout 3 was in production.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, gotcha. I never heard the mobile game specification. That makes things even more interesting then.
There are a number of bigger Western developers taking another stab at mobile soon.

On the ZeniMax front, ZeniMax Online Studios (TESO) is also making multiple mobile games based on ZeniMax's existing IPs, but I think they started a year or two later than Bethesda, who is about three years into the development of their second mobile title, so presumably that will be out soon.

OP
OP
AAMARMO

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have seen that a user from this thread has been verified and is in position on knowing this knowledge, however, they have not verified there claim for it being there next triple-A game coming this fall. So im still skeptical of this being a Mobile or a Console game. So im here to provide more evidence why I still most likely think its a mobile game rather than there next big triple-a Game or maybe a mobile tie-in game. However, there's also a possibility that the game was in development or planned for the console due to an old trademark back in 2013 that was abandon found by FelipeMGM. Also a shout out to Rösti helping me to find more evidence.

Canada Trademark: http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-c...24&extension=00&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=1
NHfcTbL.png

Malaysian Trademark: http://www.wipo.int/branddb/en/showData.jsp?ID=MYTM.2016057729
x6tcIIZ.png

New Zeland: http://www.wipo.int/branddb/en/showData.jsp?ID=NZTM.1053343
wlFCFxc.png

Israil: http://www.trademarks.justice.gov.il/TrademarkSearch/ReportView?tmCaseID=280617
UKqK5fu.png

Singapore: http://www.wipo.int/branddb/en/showData.jsp?ID=SGTM.40201617724X.TM
UA2unRQ.png

United States: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86970879&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
ERsrDcd.png

Last edited:

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
My belief and expectation is that Starfield is a PS4/Xbox One/PC game that will get a Fallout 4 style treatment at Bethesda's E3 showcase with a mobile app releasing at some point during the presentation of the game. Also expecting Starfield to be released in mid November 2018.

Almost same time frame with RDR2 release ? No way or Betesheda would be incredibly confident in their title.

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
Yep. SMO/ACO and a few others didn't stop Bethesda from releasing TEW2 and Wolfenstein 2 last October. I believe that Bethesda is the one publisher that won't care or fear RDR 2.
I mean not every player who like both games will be able to buy both games in a short time frame.
Because a game launch and sales matters for studios, should not Betesheda go for December or next year instead, period without big game competitors ?

Last edited:

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
A new Bethesda game makes my whole year better. Every time they release a new game it's like I'm living a special time of my life, as dumb as that may sound. Their formula always delivers for me, both in hype and the actual product.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
They would be basically sending their new IP to die.

Eh, dump enough money into ads that include the phrase, 'From the makers of Skyrim', and I'd say Starfield could stand up to Red Dead reasonably well. Particularly since they'll have the PC market to themselves.

To be clear, I'm not saying it'll outsell Red Dead by any means, but I think it still has the potential to do perfectly respectable numbers. Now, as for why they wouldn't shift the release to get it out of Red Dead's way and do better than 'respectable' numbers... Honestly, no idea, but that doesn't mean they'll move it--it certainly wouldn't be the first time a game company just said 'fuck it', and took on incredibly stiff release date competition.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Eh, dump enough money into ads that include the phrase, 'From the makers of Skyrim', and I'd say Starfield could stand up to Red Dead reasonably well. Particularly since they'll have the PC market to themselves.

To be clear, I'm not saying it'll outsell Red Dead by any means, but I think it still has the potential to do perfectly respectable numbers. Now, as for why they wouldn't shift the release to get it out of Red Dead's way... Honestly, no idea, but that doesn't mean they'll move it--it certainly wouldn't be the first time a game company just said 'fuck it', and took on incredibly stiff release date competition.
You're right. They have done it before with Dishonored 2 and TEW2. If they do release it near it, I'd expect November or something to the like. At least a few weeks away from RDR2.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

To be clear, I'm not saying it'll outsell Red Dead by any means, but I think it still has the potential to do perfectly respectable numbers. Now, as for why they wouldn't shift the release to get it out of Red Dead's way and do better than 'respectable' numbers... Honestly, no idea, but that doesn't mean they'll move it--it certainly wouldn't be the first time a game company just said 'fuck it', and took on incredibly stiff release date competition.

Not to mention they won't be competing with RDR 2 on PC, which has traditionally been a very strong market for BGS.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean not every player who like both games will be able to buy both games in a short time frame. Because a game launch and sales matters for studios, should not Betesheda go for December or next year instead, period without big game competitors ?

I obviously could be very wrong but Bethesda has released at least one game in the Fall for each year they've have a showcase at E3. Starfield seems to be the next game up. Only other game would be Doom 2 which I see as May 2019. Starfield will also be different enough to separate itself from RDR 2. Also, it's from Bethesda Game Studios which I think in of itself, people will want to play it.

RDR 2 will sell better than the original but it's NOT GTA. Also, Bethesda putting their game out a few weeks after RDR 2 also shows the confidence in the game.

I simply disagree. BGS has enough loyal fans that will buy the game day one with or without RDR 2.

We'll see what happens but im fully expecting it to be given a long slot at the showcase and to release in November.

Rexx

Mar 3, 2018

Naw, you're looking at two very different genres here. Some will opt for cowboys, others for aliens and ray guns. If both games rate well, most likely many will buy the other later once done with their first choice.

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
Naw, you're looking at two very different genres here. Some will opt for cowboys, others for aliens and ray guns. If both games rate well, most likely many will buy the other later once done with their first choice.

Most players enjoyed both Fallout and Skyrim, i think they will enjoy both Sicfi and Cowboy open worlds.
Players will be buzzy with RDR2 ; many won't start another open world when they are still playing RDR2.
For sales it's not the best period, but perhaps they have something groundbreaking most players will want to play; something miles better than Mass Effect Andromeda.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy. I was disappointed with Fallout 4, but not enough to stop a new BGS game from going straight to the top of my my most anticipated. Smash and Starfield in one year... oh boy.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Most players enjoyed both Fallout and Skyrim, i think they will enjoy both Sicfi and Cowboy open worlds.
Players will be buzzy with RDR2 ; many won't start another open world when they are still playing RDR2.
For sales it's not the best period, but perhaps they have something groundbreaking most players will want to play; something miles better than Mass Effect Andromeda.

Yeah, but depending on what Starfield looks like I'd be more likely to play it than RDR2. Space over cowboys. He's right. I'd get both but RDR2 wouldn't be my first choice if you created a game that was open world space opera.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say like a year or two ago that the next Bethesda game would have a mobile game accompaniment just like Fallout Shelter? When either Hines or Howard were at E3 and speaking during Keighly's show.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope Potterson is wrong and the OP is right. A big RPG release for mobile would be quite nice.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Starfield would face much problem releasing in the same month as RDR2. It certainly won't outsell RDR2, but let's not forget how huge and popular BGS games are either. We know that Fallout 4 shipped 12 million units on launch day and went on to become BGS' most successful title (though Skyrim Special Edition has probably changed that). Yeah, Starfield is a new ip, but all they need to do is use "From the makers of Skyrim and Fallout" just like Rockstar will use "From the makers of GTA V" for RDR2.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I don't think Starfield would face much problem releasing in the same month as RDR2. It certainly won't outsell RDR2, but let's not forget how huge and popular BGS games are either. We know that Fallout 4 shipped 12 million units on launch day and went on to become BGS' most successful title (though Skyrim Special Edition has probably changed that). Yeah, Starfield is a new ip, but all they need to do is use "From the makers of Skyrim and Fallout" just like Rockstar will use "From the makers of GTA V" for RDR2.
Yeah. Bethesda Game Studios is probably the only developer that can release a game around the same time as Rockstar without it hurting their sales much. And unlike RDR, their game will also be available on PC, which will certainly help the sales, especially since their games are very moddable and have great sales on PC. Old Skyrim has over 11 million owners just on PC (and Skyrim SE has another 5-6 million). Bethesda will be fine.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
A new Bethesda game makes my whole year better. Every time they release a new game it's like I'm living a special time of my life, as dumb as that may sound. Their formula always delivers for me, both in hype and the actual product.

What this guy said ^

Also, I believe BGS will develop and release a mobile game to tie-in with their next release. Like Fallout Shelter and Fallout 4. I think that's the situation we're looking at here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Bethesda Game Studios is probably the only developer that can release a game around the same time as Rockstar without it hurting their sales much. And unlike RDR, their game will also be available on PC, which will certainly help the sales, especially since their games are very moddable and have great sales on PC. Old Skyrim has over 11 million owners just on PC (and Skyrim SE has another 5-6 million). Bethesda will be fine.
No they're not the only developer. Lol

RDR2 is slated for October. Starfield could be a November game.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
No they're not the only developer. Lol

RDR2 is slated for October. Starfield could be a November game.
Maybe not the only developer, but definitely one of the few. I can see most other AAA open-world games' sales being very hurt if i they're released against Rockstar's games, but Bethesda's open-world games offer a different experience than Rockstar games and they have a huge following, too.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Starfield, here's a random reddit 'leak'. I hope it's true, because that's almost exactly what I want from Starfield.
https://www.reddit.com/r/BethesdaSoftworks/comments/8cg8vn/information_on_starfield/
This is going to come across as a "my dad works for bethesda" post, but I won't name my source. You'll see a lot of this is true in May. I'll just get to the content and information I know and list it in bullet points:

• Heads at Bethesda have been noticing a rise in science fiction influenced content in the market (not just the video game market), so they're going to make a game of their own in this genre (they've always wanted to do this anyway, even Todd Howard has). They want to get ahead of games like Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen, and Beyond Good and Evil 2. They want to bundle a lot of their previous sci fi ideas into this game.

• The game is in fact called Starfield

• It is more like a space fantasy or opera setting instead of harder science fiction, it's like Star Wars, so there are fantasy themes in it that have naturally transferred over from their previous work

• You can make your own character, the game looks a lot like Fallout 4 but the animations aren't as janky (you can climb on buildings and terrain from a skill even)

• This game will use cutting edge procedural generation technology, a lot of the game mechanics rely on it

• There are 4 important planets in the game you can travel between in a system, 3 of them have procedural generated terrain and are fully sized, the other one is a big city planet and has a set map size (maybe around the size of Morrowind's map)

• On the galaxy map, there is a section of the map called The Unknown Regions where there are endless planets that are generated you can explore, they are fully sized. Planets in themselves have been described as planet sized "dungeons"

• Content on the planet is procedurally generated as well like aliens species, animals, locations, all of it is generated. You can find things as small as a camp, to something the size of a colony or city on the planets surface (city as in Skyrim sized city)

• There is a unique mechanic in the exploration side of the gameplay that if you discover a sapient alien species and catalogue it and successfully return the information to normal space (the 4 system starting area) you unlock that species as playable for future characters

• Your character is silent, and the character is not anyone special

• You choose what planet you want to start the game on, you can also choose a random planet which will spawn you on a generated planet in the unknown

• There are a lot of ships to buy, probably around 30. They can be from the size of an X-Wing to an Imperial Light Cruiser (you can have a small crew, i dont know the mechanics for this)

• Combat is similar to Fallout 4, but with better cover mechanic

• There are infinite weapons, comparable to Borderlands system of guns (there are melee weapons too)

• The settlement system is expanded, you can establish colonies on an empty plot of land on any planet. You can establish colonies in the unknown planets and populate them for income

• There are some ground vehicles like speeders and some transports, but nothing too large. There is nothing bigger than a garbage truck

• There are factions, but even they can be procedurally generated (because of the unknown region mechanic and what you can find in that area), you can also make your own faction

• You can't just join every faction but you can be in multiple at once
That's all I know, a trailer is supposed to come in late May and they will show more gameplay at E3 showing a lot of this. The game isn't fully polished yet.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm. Some of that sounds good, but the words procedurally generated makes me itch. I'll have to see the presentation, end game, quest design...

Oct 26, 2017
No way in hell will it only be a mobile game. Not after the critique of their show last year and the big hype around BGS's new game. Pete Hines recently said they will have something for everyone, new games etc and they hope to deliver.

I don't recall him talking much about their 2017 show beforehand. The "hate" is gonna be insane if they show BGS'S new game and it's only mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.