• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
While i'm sure they're taking the opportunity to make huge changes to the engine, we have no idea what the game entails. For example, Destiny is a sci-if game set across multiple planets and features various spaceships for the player to collect, but doesn't have any sort of free flight, and the handful of zones it does have are all tiny in comparison to Bethesda games despite having vehicles to traverse them at speed.

And that's the one thing that concerns me about Starfield. The game I WANT it to be (Bethesda quality No Man's Sky but with a handcrafted home solar system to base exploration from)... I'm not sure that's something current gen consoles are capable of, let alone Bethesda's engine. Not if we want worlds on par with Fallout 4 and Skyrim's detail level, instead of No Man's Sky's blocky appearances.
Honestly, I'd be alright with it adopting the KotOR/Mass Effect 'your ship is your home base, you pick planets on a map' structure. (Though with bigger planets, since this is BGS we're talking about.) Like, I'd certainly enjoy being able to actually fly the ship, but I've loved several space opera games that didn't allow you to.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
It better not be like any of their previous games.
Thats what I fear most: It just literally being Fallout 4 in space or it just being a Destiny clone with slightly more interactive environments and a slightly larger play area. The Gamebryo engine cant really handle something on a massive scale that spans across different planets

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
The Gamebryo engine cant really handle something on a massive scale that spans across different planets
Yep, and I don't even think today's consoles are capable of that, with the detailing Bethesda worlds require.

I know a lot of people would hate this to be true, but I really think Starfield might be a next gen title. Seems like Fallout 76 and Skyrim SE were made to squeeze that extra juice from the current gen engine, while they work on Starfield for early next gen, leading into TES6 once the install base is huge. The only leak we've had that we know is legit is the 4chan leak that revealed 76 half a year ago while also saying Starfield is real but years away. And the more I think about what a current gen Starfield might have to look like... the more I think next gen is not only more likely based on what Bethesda do with their games (huge open worlds, heavy on exploration), but more preferable as a player too.

Guess we'll find out more on Sunday!

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Yep, and I don't even think today's consoles are capable of that, with the detailing Bethesda worlds require.

I know a lot of people would hate this to be true, but I really think Starfield might be a next gen title. Seems like Fallout 76 and Skyrim SE were made to squeeze that extra juice from the current gen engine, while they work on Starfield for early next gen, leading into TES6 once the install base is huge. The only leak we've had that we know is legit is the 4chan leak that revealed 76 half a year ago while also saying Starfield is real but years away. And the more I think about what a current gen Starfield might have to look like... the more I think next gen is not only more likely based on what Bethesda do with their games (huge open worlds, heavy on exploration), but more preferable as a player too.

Id rather it be actually if it means it living up to its full potential. Id rather have a full experienced than something watered down just to run on old hardware

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018

I wouldn't, and I am hopeful for it being next-gen. Todd wouldn't be the type to release a game if the next-gen consoles came out a year later, he'd wait until the new consoles are out. He's said multiple times install base doesn't matter.

I've said this before in another thread, but the more and more I think about this, the more and more it makes sense. Job listings, Todd's words, and other things have led us to believe a new engine is being made, and most likely has been for awhile. New engines can take years to make, with dozens of people working on it. So simply put most of the engineers (like 60% or so) are working on the new engine, and since the developers aren't just going to wait until it's done, they started working on Fallout 76 (which will do things they wanted to do but couldn't). Once the engine is usable (which can happen in a couple years even when it's still be developed), level designers, quest designers, animators and so on will start work on the next game. That time is most likely coming soon, if not already. Probably already since even several months out, they're just bug fixing and the game is done.

7Z7

May 30, 2018
Starfield it's real. It's official.

No date, however. (Next Generation?)

TES 6 too but 20 secondes...

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
  • Don't bump Pre E3 threads – Please do not bump old threads with new announcements or news that comes out during E3. Either post new news in a brand-new thread or in a thread that was created specifically to discuss that conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.