• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11986

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Are we expecting another tease or a real thing like gameplay footage? My wallet just want to know if will be 1st person exprience only or not.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
As much as I would love this, yeah they did come with Cranky Kong one year. So i think the odds of a Smash fighter are way higher. This would be a good event to announce a big Western franchise character like Banjo or Steve.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If it releases next year, they will have a damn good line-up for 2019.

Prime 4
Animal Crossing
Luigi's Mansion
New gen Pokemon
Bayonetta
Yoshi
Fire Emblem

Probably missing some more.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Smash doesn't count because it's Smash? Moving goalposts much?

Do you even know what moving goalposts means? Lol.

I explained why. Unlike a first party game like botw and Odyssey, what you get in smash in terms of an experience is a known quantity. I'm excited for it and especially super mario party, but my point still stands.

2018 has been lacking in original single player content from Nintendo and the reveals so far have been just ok, especially visually. Kirby, yoshi, and a meh looking lm3 dont scream hype.

Plum

May 31, 2018
As much as I would love this, yeah they did come with Cranky Kong one year. So i think the odds of a Smash fighter are way higher. This would be a good event to announce a big Western franchise character like Banjo or Steve.

Cranky Kong wasn't at The Game Awards, it was at the 'VGX' which was the under-hyped and under-funded dying breath of the VGAs. Nintendo's history with The Game Awards, an event entirely unrelated to the VGAs outside of Geoff Keighley's involvement, has shown that they see it as a crucial event in the year to reveal/show off their more 'hardcore' fan favorites.

Oct 26, 2017
That was VGX, It's not the same show, it's not the same content!
Possible they show Smash dlc too I guess.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm skeptical.

Nintendo hasn't had a truly exciting reveal since Odyssey and Botw.

Luigi's mansion looks like it's using dark moon engine.
Fire emblem doesn't look graphically impressive.
Let's to reception has been mixed.
Smash is a known quantity.

I need some real hype for a first party game from Nintendo
I feel you. I need some substance.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Speculation: 2019 will be the Year of Samus.

Spring = Metroid Prime Trilogy HD Collection

Summer = Metroid: Samus Returns HD

Fall = Metroid Prime 4

Nov 23, 2017
I'm skeptical.

Nintendo hasn't had a truly exciting reveal since Odyssey and Botw.

Luigi's mansion looks like it's using dark moon engine.
Fire emblem doesn't look graphically impressive.
Let's to reception has been mixed.
Smash is a known quantity.

I need some real hype for a first party game from Nintendo

Ok? So they should throw out years of engine work for no reason

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously Reggie made sure he got that pose right and made sure that Metroid logo showed enough for the FANS to see it.

Oct 30, 2017
People expecting Metroid 4

But what if it's a complete new unannounced game.

Zelda Breath the Wild was released March 2017, that would be nearly 2 years ago. Also the game robablynwas ready before that and just got delayed to coincide with Switch launch.

The Zelda team probably quite far in development in their next project with probably over 2 years development time so u wouldn't rule out a teaser for that especially Zelda winning game of the year in 2017. Reggie could talk about how it was the winner of last year and let's look at what the team has been upto.

They can even do a Bayonetta style reveal.
Skywards Sword HD announced for March.
Zelda: The Adventure of Shirk teaser with no release date.

Oct 26, 2017
Ok? So they should throw out years of engine work for no reason
Actually I really doubt it is using LM2 engine seeing as that's by a different company and Grezzo is competent enough to use their own existing one, it just happens that one game that's trying to look like Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS is going to look similar to another game that's trying to look like Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS.

Edit: lol nevermind you're all talking about LM3 and not the remake, I should have realised.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I doubt they'll show it if it is not with some gameplay. SHowing just a logo in 2017 was understandable given the circumstances, but at the tail of 2018, I think they would receive some backlash if they only give us a 20 seconds CG teaser.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm not sure being a different show makes a difference with regards to how Nintendo sees awards shows as PR opportunities.

It does. VGX was a farce and Nintendo clearly knew that at the time. The event was held in what looked like some guy's apartment, had no audience to speak off, and was hosted by a guy who clearly did not want to be there. The Game Awards, on the other hand, has at least some prestige to it (if you look past the constant advertisements and poor presentation decisions) so Nintendo has saw fit to use it as a way to show off/reveal some of their larger more fan-favorite titles in a period of the year mostly free of any other major game announcements. There's also the fact that 2013 Nintendo is very different to 2018 Nintendo, they've learnt a lot and clearly understand that coming to an event like the TGAs with another Cranky Kong would be a bad move.

Nov 23, 2017
Actually I really doubt it is using LM2 engine seeing as that's by a different company and Grezzo is competent enough to use their own existing one, it just happens that one game that's trying to look like Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS is going to look similar to another game that's trying to look like Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS.

Considering ive played decent grezzo games but not really any good ones from nlg (sorry not sorry) this is only good news.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It does. VGX was a farce and Nintendo clearly knew that at the time. The event was held in what looked like some guy's apartment, had no audience to speak off, and was hosted by a guy who clearly did not want to be there. The Game Awards, on the other hand, has at least some prestige to it (if you look past the constant advertisements and poor presentation decisions) so Nintendo has saw fit to use it as a way to show off/reveal some of their larger more fan-favorite titles in a period of the year mostly free of any other major game announcements. There's also the fact that 2013 Nintendo is very different to 2018 Nintendo, they've learnt a lot and clearly understand that coming to an event like the TGAs with another Cranky Kong would be a bad move.
And the thing is it's not just Nintendo. From Software teased their new game last year. The Game Awards is more prestigious and has more eyes on it. It's beneficial for developers and publishers to show stuff here with so many eyes on the event.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
So last year at TGA we had Bayonetta 3 and Bayonetta 1/2,
this year Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid Trilogy HD.

Lets to this! :D

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Zelda Breath the Wild was released March 2017, that would be nearly 2 years ago. Also the game robablynwas ready before that and just got delayed to coincide with Switch launch.

The Zelda team probably quite far in development in their next project with probably over 2 years development time so u wouldn't rule out a teaser for that especially Zelda winning game of the year in 2017. Reggie could talk about how it was the winner of last year and let's look at what the team has been upto.

They can even do a Bayonetta style reveal.
Skywards Sword HD announced for March.
Zelda: The Adventure of Shirk teaser with no release date.
He's wearing a Samus shirt and made sure people saw it. He had no reason to wear it if they're weren't showing MP4 at the Game Awards.

Plus, without Reggie I've said early this year I expected MP4 at Game Awards. It was always the perfect event for it.

Plum

May 31, 2018

I personally doubt it. There are too many "loose threads" in Nintendo's catalogue for Nintendo to add another huge game like that onto the pile at the moment. "Loose threads" meaning games that haven't reached the natural end to their pre-release marketing cycle. Nintendo's got MP4, Bayonetta 3, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing Switch, Daemon X Machina, Yoshi's Crafted World and, to a lesser extent, Pokemon 2019 coming out relatively soon and they all need the proper amount of marketing.

Oct 30, 2017
He's wearing a Samus shirt and made sure people saw it. He had no reason to wear it if they're weren't showing MP4 at the Game Awards.

Plus, without Reggie I've said early this year I expected MP4 at Game Awards. It was always the perfect event for it.

He was wearing a Metroid Pin years ago and it took him a few a year or 2 to announce Samus Returns

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if next year has an early concept tease for the next big Zelda even if it's a few years out.