• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't out of character for Nintendo, and I could somewhat understand the logic in differentiating between the Switch store and what's on 3DS & WiiU.

Of course, you do then have to point out that neither PlayStation nor Xbox feels the need to rename their store every generation, so *shrug*
It definitely need a better UI and discoverability.
Amen to that. Admittedly, all of the console stores are crap for discoverability, but I do think the Switch eShop, as it stands, is the worst for finding games that aren't on the front page.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
It needs to be more descriptive. "Nintendo Switch Online shop where you buy digital games".

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm...Nintendo Switch Online Shop.

NSO-Shop

Uh.... O-Shop? OShop? I'm trying to say it as I type it.

If this is indeed coming and they overhaul the shop UI and features, I don't care about the name. Better online storefront is definitely a plus.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
If this is true, it's an illustration of one of my least favorite Nintendo habits -- they're constantly ripping up their ancillary services and initiatives and starting over instead of building on what they have, or creating any sort of continuity. Look at online services for example: Xbox Live has been Xbox Live since 2002, the PlayStation Network has been the PlayStation Network since 2006. In the same span, Nintendo has had Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, Nintendo Network and now Nintendo Switch Online (the latter of which sets itself up as a temporal service right there in the name). For digital store fronts, we've had DSiWare/DSi Shop, WiiWare/Wii Shop Channel, eShop, and now potentially this. They're always such a mess in this respect.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
eShop is the much better name.

This also leads me to believe for whatever their next console is, it won't have Nintendo Switch Online or Nintendo Switch Online Shop. It'll likely start over and have its own, which isn't really good.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
The name doesn't evoke "we are adding background music to the store" to me, unfortunately.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a horrible way to tie the branding of your storefront to a device, what's going to happen when the Switch successor is released? Are they going to rename their store again?

Maybe this is the type of consoles they will stick to for the future. So the name for the online service would be like PlayStation network and Xbox live.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
eShop is a good name, this sounds duller and too specific.

The App Store on Apple isn't called The iPhone Online Store

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this means a complete overhaul of the shop, perhaps even with music and not just a name change

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
A re-design would be welcome, but I like the name "Nintendo eShop" a lot better than "Nintendo Switch Online shop".

Magicraft

Dec 1, 2017
I love eShop since is so simple but i guess it doesnt identify itself as a Nintendo shop as the others for those who dont know.

I would be happy if it backfires like Blizzard Battle.net

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch eshop needs an overhaul so badly, it looks like something they threw together in an afternoon because they remembered the Switch was going to launch the next day and they needed an eshop. Sad thing is they had a much more functional version on the Wii U.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Everything should've just fallen under the Nintendo Network banner 😔
Agreed. I know they desperately want to escape from any branding associated with the Wii U era, but Nintendo Network was a fine name for their online service (though maybe they think the name was too close to PlayStation Network). Definitely better than the new "Nintendo Switch Online" branding.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
They can call it whatever, I'm just going to continue calling it eshop. Nintendo Switch Online Shop is ineloquent.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if it's called nintendo switch online shop people won't think their purchases will carry on to the New Console Online Shop.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You people who want music on eShop are also the ones who insist on having blaring music in brick-and-mortar stores, aren't you, you heathen monsters? When I'm spending my money, I prefer to have my entire focus, not be unnecessarily distracted.
if it's called nintendo switch online shop people won't think their purchases will carry on to the New Console Online Shop.
That illusion was shattered already the moment the Switch launched.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo is so shit at this. eshop is a good name. Why change it. They rename thier online every gen. Pick one fucking thing

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
NES games were formally available on the eShop through Virtual Console and are now available through Nintendo Switch Online.

It's not a rebranding of eShop; it's just the lawyer clarifying to the judge that these games are still available for purchase through a "shop" even if it's a subscription service.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
That's a terrible name, but the eShop did need a revamped UI, so if we get that then I'm all for it.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
OP kind of burying the lede. Real news is that the switch will be the platform going forward for Nintendo. Makes sense. No need for a new console. Just keep iterating on the switch like apple does the iPhone every year. New specs, slightly new design sometimes, etc.

Assuming the name change is real.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
eShop isn't an incredible name or anything, but "Nintendo Switch Online Shop" would be Wii U levels of terrible.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
tbh the good thing about eShop was just how short it was.. but the naming was also very generic.

Looking forward to big changes