• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
If Switch Is a brand name like "PlayStation" or "Xbox", why not.
If it's another one generation console name, please no.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the name is just weird, because "nintendo switch online" is already the name of their online subscription service. just putting a "shop" after that makes it sound like the shop is only for subscribers, like if the playstation store was called the ps+ store.
they shouldn't try to fix what isn't broken, people are used to eshop, it's a short and good name.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What a horrible way to tie the branding of your storefront to a device, what's going to happen when the Switch successor is released? Are they going to rename their store again?

When the next console rolls around:
"Why would you expect your purchases in the Nintendo switch online store to carry over to our completely different store, the Nintendo fandangle online store?"

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... so this legal document is in regards to the guy selling Nintendo Classic consoles loaded up with extra roms. So what's the context here? Why is eshop being mentioned at all? Is their argument that they will sell these roms on the switch? If so, maybe what's mis-written / confusing is any mention of "eshop".

What if there is going to literally be a "Nintendo Switch Online" shop? A shop specifically for NSO members where they sell... roms.

The NES games will still continue as free through the membership, but maybe they'll start selling SNES, N64, etc ala carte, but gated behind NSO (which you need to be subscribed to to access the NSO Shop)?

Am I crazy here?

Edit - also, to anyone questioning Nintendo picking a dumb / nonsensical name for something, please check out so many of their previous products, lol.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait... so this legal document is in regards to the guy selling Nintendo Classic consoles loaded up with extra roms. So what's the context here? Why is eshop being mentioned at all? Is their argument that they will sell these roms on the switch? If so, maybe what's mis-written / confusing is any mention of "eshop".

What if there is going to literally be a "Nintendo Switch Online" shop? A shop specifically for NSO members where they sell... roms.

The NES games will still continue as free through the membership, but maybe they'll start selling SNES, N64, etc ala carte, but gated behind NSO (which you need to be subscribed to to access the NSO Shop)?

Am I crazy here?

Edit - also, to anyone questioning Nintendo picking a dumb / nonsensical name for something, please check out so many of their previous products, lol.

I think this is a better idea. But the document itself says (previously called the Nintendo eshop) implying it's being replaced.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Am I crazy here?

needing a subscription to be able to pay money and buy roms would be a seriously dumb move.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a better idea. But the document itself says (previously called the Nintendo eshop) implying it's being replaced.

Yeah that's the part that doesn't work with my argument. But I just wonder why they're mentioning how the eshop works unless it's part of a specific point about how they are planning to sell the same roms that he's illegally selling.

So maybe what they mean is this:
- we used to sell classic games on the eshop
- moving forward we'll sell classic games on the NSO shop

Basically meaning that eshop could still exist and that NSO Shop is for NSO subscribers and only sells roms.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that's the part that doesn't work with my argument. But I just wonder why they're mentioning how the eshop works unless it's part of a specific point about how they are planning to sell the same roms that he's illegally selling.

So maybe what they mean is this:
- we used to sell classic games on the eshop
- moving forward we'll sell classic games on the NSO shop

Basically meaning that eshop could still exist and that NSO Shop is for NSO subscribers and only sells roms.

Could also be a way of letting indies still own a space they are benefitting from. If Super Mario World is sitting next to Hollow Knight and they both cost the same, a lot of people might opt for SMW. It would be a thoughtful gesture.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Too long and doesn't roll off the tongue like e-shop does. As long as they have a better search function and better interface, than I'll deal with whatever name they come up with.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Just name it the Nintendo Online Shop and it'll be future proofed. I wish they'd decouple their classic games from the online service.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
That is not a smart namechange. Why put the name of the product in an online shop?

There is a reason it's not called iphone store...

eShop was a brilliant name.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is not a smart namechange. Why put the name of the product in an online shop?

There is a reason it's not called iphone store...

eShop was a brilliant name.
Drive awareness of 'Nintendo Switch Online' as a product. Nintendo Switch Online is a product with a price tag, which eShop is not.

It's a bit fluffy because it assumes there's some link between changing the name of the shop, to propensity to buy the online service. But working with marketing, this line of thinking wouldn't surprise me.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uh, is the idea to make "Switch" their gaming brand, like "PlayStation" and "Xbox" are for Sony and Microsoft?

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, the document just clarify that the online store in Switch is called "eShop" it's fairly common in this kind of documents where every term needs to be extremely detailed to avoid legal holes.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the document just clarify that the online store in Switch is called "eShop" it's fairly common in this kind of documents where every term needs to be extremely detailed to avoid legal holes.
No. That's not it. It cleay states that it was formerly called eShop, not anymore. As you said, the document is extremely detailed and carefully redacted, they mention multiple times the service is called Nintendo Switch Online shop.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the name is just weird, because "nintendo switch online" is already the name of their online subscription service. just putting a "shop" after that makes it sound like the shop is only for subscribers, like if the playstation store was called the ps+ store.
they shouldn't try to fix what isn't broken, people are used to eshop, it's a short and good name.
Good point, they should just call it nintendo shop or Nintendo store

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
What a stupid name change if it happens, Nintendo eShop was fine as the name of the store for multiple platforms. Even if they never release a handheld again, the next console will have yet another shop name and branding.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I posted this in another thread. It's about the name "eShop".

This name is a brand coming from the Wii/Wii U/3DS. With the 3DS about to be out of production expecting at some time in later down the road, it marks the end of the 3 consoles, and thus the brand name along with them.

This is Nintendo's attempt at renaming their online services as a Switch-only storefront. Who knows how it will be like in 2 to 3 years?

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Terrible choice of name if true. First its to long and second your shop branding should not be linked to the console name as at some point you will change console name and then have to rebrand again.

If they wanted to get away from the eshop branding they could have just called it Nintendo Store or something like that.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
eShop was short and fine, not a fan of the new name, especially if it's referencing a console's name.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this is something they'd announce in the January Direct, assuming we even get a January Direct

if it's called nintendo switch online shop people won't think their purchases will carry on to the New Console Online Shop.
People keep saying this but

1) they've done this for like three generations in a row by now, as has been mentioned several times

2) the deal they made with Nvidia for the Switch lasts something like 20 years and they've stated over and over that the Switch is going to become a family of devices going forward like the iPhone, so they're proooobably going to be using the Switch branding for quite a while

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think Nintendo is changing the name.

This just sounds like the lawyers wanted to stess to the judge that these NES games are still available for sale (formally eShop, now Nintendo Switch Online) in order to seek a higher damage amount. Nintendo Switch Online service is still a "shop" even it's a subscription service.

From the original thread; Nintendo is seeking "three times the NOA's actual damages or profits from the defendant, all attorney fees paid and costs of the suit incurred, pre and post judgement interest on the above damages." You build a better case for yourself if you can show the judge you're still profiting off of these games.

Last edited:

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"Nintendo Shop" or "Nintendo Store" would be a better, simpler name.

Or at least just "Nintendo Switch Shop". The 'Online' part is unnecessary. Like, it's online? Well, no shit.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well Sony doesn't call their store the Sony store, they call it playstion store

So switch shop makes sense in that sense