• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
FVDyQ8x.jpg

First a little bit of context. Yesterday Nintendo of America sued a man for selling NES Classic and Switch consoles with pirated games. You can find more info in this thread.

However, what caught my attention is that the document mentions that the digital shop for Switch is called Nintendo Switch Online shop (formerly Nintendo eShop).

Could that mean a name change is coming soon? This is a legal document so I doubt is a mistake. And the O is capitalized, so the name clearly refers to the Nintendo Switch Online service.

Maybe this is the next step for the online service? It would be nice to be able to browse the eShop from the Switch Online app.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Can they please let me use a foreign card on the Japanese eShop? Why does it work on 3DS but not Switch.

I don't mind the store now, would like more discounts and the return of the Wii Shop Channel music

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not a huge fan of that rebranding, and kind of weird they'd lock it into being Switch brand exclusive. eShop felt platform agnostic, even if it wasn't really.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I demand this redesign has music

Also everyone's just gonna keep calling it the eShop let's be real

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Can they please let me use a foreign card on the Japanese eShop? Why does it work on 3DS but not Switch.

I don't mind the store now, would like more discounts and the return of the Wii Shop Channel music

I always use my card from Costa Rica no problem. Have you check with your bank already?

Jan 2, 2018
Oh no, I really liked the name "eShop". It sounded somewhat oldschool.
Not a big deal and perhaps some enhancements will ease the "pain".

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Not a huge fan of that rebranding, and kind of weird they'd lock it into being Switch brand exclusive. eShop felt platform agnostic, even if it wasn't really.

Well, the Switch will be a family of consoles soon enough. With sales like these, I don't think they intend to use any of the other device brands going forward. I also think this is an attempt to streamline branding of online services since the introduce of the paid service.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
eShop has such a better ring to it than the "Online Shop"

Also, this will most likely confuse the average customer, since you don't need to pay for the "Nintendo Switch Online" service to use the "Nintendo Switch Online Shop."

Lastly, I highly doubt any big changes that actually bring new and highly-requested features will be made to their online services, paid or otherwise. I know that the Switch controllers have that blue light that could be used for notifications--ideally for messages--but I still have nothing but doubt.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Being able to redeem eshop codes online would be a nice QOL feature. It sucks that you can only do it as part of a purchase if you don't already have enough money.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Wii Shop Channel remains their best digital store (all thanks to the awesome music)

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They're really trying hard for that brand recognition, huh?

eShop is the superior name, period.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Boo, the eshop is a nice piece of simple branding that rolls off the tongue and is synonymous with Nintendo after being used for the last 7 or so years. Nintendo Switch Online Shop is verbose, boring, and forgettable and I have to imagine it will create confusion for people who aren't subscribed to the online service

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
What a horrible way to tie the branding of your storefront to a device, what's going to happen when the Switch successor is released? Are they going to rename their store again?

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They need to drop the Switch part of the name, because then they need to rebrand the bloody thing again in 5 years.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
No need for the shop to have its own special name. Just call it a store/shop like any other platform.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Probably just their legal team confusing NSO (which features NES games) and the general marketplace which has everything from Arcade Archives to full-price games.

I wouldn't read too much into it. There's literally no reason for them to rename the eShop considering it's a catchy and easy to understand name.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care what they call it, I just want to know what their plans are.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
Everything about their online branding on switch has been so bland and stiff.

Nintendo Switch Online: Nintendo Entertianment System: Nintendo Switch Version, now with Online (Nintendo Switch Online subscription required)