• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Being able to pause the game should be mandatory. If I'm in a boss fight and winning and have to use the restroom all of a sudden why should I take that loss instead of doing my deed and coming back to continue? It should not take away ones sense of "accomplishment."

Res

Oct 25, 2017
There should be a pause button, but there should be a separate button for that since I don't want time to freeze when selecting equipment or items

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
We literally have no clue how this game will play an THIS is what you're thinking about?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not one of them but it's probably because most people don't sit down and game for long sessions without having to pause every once in awhile? What if you're in the middle of a boss fight and the phone rings? You're just not gonna answer because the game is more important? I think it's a fairly obvious reason. Nearly all games allow pausing, so to not allow it even offline, I could see how some people would be turned off by it.
I'm sure everyone who has played the Souls games has at some point died because they had to get up and do something immediately and were unable to pause the game but I don't think it happens often enough for most people to avoid the series entirely because of it. Unless these people except random intrusions every few minutes.

Anyway tt feels like the number of life intrusions people have when talking about single player games without pausing is exponentially higher than any other scenario lol. I don't think I've ever read someone online say something like 'I want to play more multiplayer games but the inability to pause in them prevents me from doing so.'

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If there's no invasion mechanics and stuff like that, pause button should be a given. Makes sense that online driven stuff doesn't have pause option, it shouldn't be seen as a From tradition or anything like that.

Imo NPC invasions in Souls like games are meant to simulate the online portion of the game and that's why even offline Souls can't pause.

OP
OP
MajulaDream

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to pause the game should be mandatory. If I'm in a boss fight and winning and have to use the restroom all of a sudden why should I take that loss instead of doing my deed and coming back to continue? It should not take away ones sense of "accomplishment."

Devil's advocate tho, say you were in a boss fight and "losing." Pausing the game to recover or cheese your way to victory could be seen as taking away accomplishment. Similar how fighting games are no-pause allowed lol.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Devil's advocate tho, say you were in a boss fight and "losing." Pausing the game to recover or cheese your way to victory could be seen as taking away accomplishment. Similar how fighting games are no-pause allowed lol.

lol. I'm not sure how pausing can help someone cheese to victory against a.i.? I get how its banned in tournament for fighting games because its real people. Someone could drop a combo, but code will keep going in SP.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Souls doesn't have pause even if you play offline. It's a design decision. Who knows how it will be in this one.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell you guys turn meaningless tripe into something worth discussing and even worse, speculating?

And the bloody game isn't even out yet. :V

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
That's what I'm saying. NPC invasions are basically just another offline enemy so I don't know if 'being online' was the sole reason you were never able to pause the game, as they didn't let you pause when playing offline either.

I would certainly feel okay in assuming the reason you can't pause in Souls is entirely due to integrated online play. I mean, I guess we will see with Sekiro but I'd be surprised if you can't pause the game.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with pausing?

Depends. Can you use healing items and such while the game is paused? If that was possible in Souls a lot of the challenge and tension would be removed. But if pause is just pause and the items menu is a separate thing it wouldn't really change anything I guess. It would still allow you to take a breather in the middle of a difficult boss fight though, and part of what makes Souls so intense is that you cannot escape even for a second (unless you quit out).

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Would be silly not to have it. Then again, it'd have been silly not to have it in any of the Souls games. And yet, here we are.

It's one thing when you're online, but the games are perfectly playable offline (and imo better). No reason not to let ya pause, other than maybe it just being more work to implement.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hope it doesn't have a pause function. I dig Soulsborne's whole "you better find somewhere safe" thing. I like the game always being "on."

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Depends. Can you use healing items and such while the game is paused? If that was possible in Souls a lot of the challenge and tension would be removed. But if pause is just pause and the items menu is a separate thing it wouldn't really change anything I guess. It would still allow you to take a breather in the middle of a difficult boss fight though, and part of what makes Souls so intense is that you cannot escape even for a second (unless you quit out).

When people ask for a pause menu they aren't secretly asking to be able to select healing items or something, it's just simply a pause button lol

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be lame to have it. There's nothing more hardcore for me, as a gamer, to play a game that doesn't have pausing.

I also hope they patch soul levels and bonfires into the game. FROM needs to stop wasting time.

Memphis-Ahn

Nov 7, 2017
There should be a pause button, but there should be a separate button for that since I don't want time to freeze when selecting equipment or items
I have to agree with this individual, especially if healing items can be used from the inventory directly. It's one of the things that bothers me the most about BotW.

VAPORxDYNE

Oct 27, 2017
Off the top of my head I can only think of one reason to not have a pause button when the game is offline, has no invasions and w/e other assumptions you want to make about its mechanics. The devs might not want you to regain your composure by pausing. Lets say you get ambushed by a few strong enemies and you get startled. The devs might have planned to startle you and essentially force you to fight in that state. However, if you can pause then you can just regain your composure and take your time thinking of a strategy. The same can apply to boss fights. The devs might want to stop players from pausing during boss attacks in order to think up a plan to defend against said attacks. With a pause button I'd be able to do these things, not that I ever would, even if the pause screen didn't show any gameplay. No pause button could just be an anti-cheesing method or something. I think someone posted an interview a few weeks ago that hinted at the game being pretty hard, so I can see them neglecting a pause button for this reason. In the end it's their game and their vision so I'm fine with whatever their decision is.

You don't really even lose a lot of progress in souls games when you die anyway. The most you could lose for having to leave the game during a boss fight is what? ~5 minutes? 1-2 minutes to sprint back to the boss and 3-4 minutes of the fight. If you're not in a boss fight just exit the game and when you start it back up you'll be in the same spot.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Makes sense. I guess I see the sense (or even the necessity) in included pause functionality in a game, though yeah, I agree that in a game like Soulsborne, or any other game specifically designed around challenge, even if pause is included, you shouldn't let players heal or use items while doing so.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro has long been confirmed to not be remotedly like any souls game, i think the devs even explicitly stated it's a single player experience, hence nobody is surprised that pause is likely in.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
There is zero reason for Sekiro not to have pause considering it doesn't have any kind of online functionality at all (synchronous or otherwise). If it doesn't have a pause the complaints will be far more justified than the ones of DS' lack of pause.

Depends. Can you use healing items and such while the game is paused?

Why would you? What does this have to do with pause itself? Note that there's no reason why Pause and Opening the Menu have to be the same thing; even if they are, there's no reason why you'd be able to use items from the the menu; and even if you are, no reason why you couldn't be kicked out of the menu when doing s0.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
Has a Pause button been confirmed? If not, this is speculation built upon an assumption, and there's nothing to discuss here.

If yes, a Pause button isn't a concession to accessibility
, it's a concession to understanding that as an adult playing the game, sometimes actual real life might demand that I step away from the game for a minute, and I shouldn't be penalized for putting my controller down for a minute because I didn't want my house to be on fire or something.

FYI, you literally just went on to explain an accessibility issue.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care at all about pause or no pause. This is not an online game so it makes sense to have pause. And no, a pause button won't make it easier.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What do you need a pause button for?

To make a sandwich? Wipe the cheetos off your controller? Sip mountain dew?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What do you need a pause button for?

To make a sandwich? Wipe the cheetos off your controller? Sip mountain dew?
The cat has decided to sit on your face, the delivery boy has arrived with an Amazon package, your partner asks you '' In what box did you leave X '', the house is on fire ...

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
There is no cogent rationalization in favor of a single-player game not having a pause button.

Maintaining player tension is a plenty good reason, and not a rationalization.

Plenty of devs find the ability to pause detrimental to thier design and solve for it in various ways, with real-time inventory and maps, blackout screens for puzzlers, shmups, and other pattern based games, etc.

There's always Home buttons, so I don't see the issue - unless you really want to feel good about pausing when devs to want you to for some reason.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The cat has decided to sit on your face, the delivery boy has arrived with an Amazon package, your partner asks you '' In what box did you leave X '', the house is on fire ...

I don't have a cat. The delivery boy can leave the package with my concierge. If my apartment is on fire there's no way I'm wasting time pausing any game.

Try again.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine to pause the game it involved getting an item and then use of the item along with an animation. Like he has to go down on his knees and then bow while squeezing an item. Then the game has paused. Like takes a good 5 seconds to do and u are open to taking damage until its paused.

I could live with that.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will surely have pause because A this is not a Souls game and B because it is purely offline.

Last edited:

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
A lot of people saying that if it's single player only then there's no reason not to have pause.

As others have stated, the Souls games did not have pause even when playing entirely offline, it was a deliberate design decision.

Whether or not that same mentality carries over remains to be seen, but let's not pretend like it hasn't been done before.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it does, and lol at the tryhard crowd arguing against here, as if a simple feature like that in a game meant to be played offline game diminishes the challenge.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maybe no one is talking about it because it's not that big of a deal to most people?

In most Souls games if you stand still and are not currently being attacked, you can walk away from the game for hours and nothing bad will happen to your character

If you're mid fight then sure it's a pain, but that's because the game has online features

It would be cool if this game had a pause feature if it doesn't need to have online features in play, but being able to pause isn't the kind of bullet point to put on the back of the box a lot of people seem to think it is

When it comes to pausing in games, the biggest crime for me is games that don't kill the music when you pause

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It might have one, why do you need a pause button if you can just hit the home button? Without online functionality it pauses the game state.

OTIX

Oct 28, 2017
This whole discussion is nonsensical. You can already pause in the Souls games by quitting out to menu. It takes literally two seconds to load back in and it puts you EXACTLY where you were. Is your time really so precious that you can't spent two seconds "unpausing" the game?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Pause during boss cutscene and look walkthrough online..
I guess I'm fine with no pause button myself, but wouldn't be surprised to see one, maybe it's something you can only use on last checkpoint or it'll spawn you there so can't spam it during combat.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the thread made me realize there are people still thinking it is a Souls game...

Guys, this game is a more traftraditi From game like the ones they made years before Demon's Souls came out. It will have less to do with Demon's Souls and more to do with Tenchu or Otogi.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
That's... what I said.
Maybe I misunderstood you? You seemed to want a pause button in case you had to deal with a fire or something and don't want to be punished game wise for having to leave it yes?

My point was fuck the game, I don't care about pause at that point, my house is on fire. You know, priorities :p

More on topic I'm sure Sekiro will, it's entirely single player.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question, OP, why would a pause function hamper the challenge or atmosphere of a game? It's a pause button, not something intrusive.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: accidently replied to myself intending to edit. It's early, I failed :(

Edit 2: can't type either today it seems...