• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
apple.news

PlayStation 5 Price Reportedly Revealed, and It's Very Cheap — Comicbook.com

The price of the PlayStation 5 has reportedly been revealed, and if the price point is accurate, then the Sony console is cheaper than everyone thinks it's going to be. According to Canadian retailer Play N Trade (via Notebookcheck) the PS5 will cost $600 CA, which is roughly $400 USD. In other...

The price of the PlayStation 5 has reportedly been revealed, and if the price point is accurate, then the Sony console is cheaper than everyone thinks it's going to be. According to Canadian retailer Play N Trade (via Notebookcheck) the PS5 will cost $600 CA, which is roughly $400 USD. In other words, according to the retailer, the next-gen Sony console will cost the same as the PS4 did at release back in 2013. As you will know, most analysts and informed predictions have been placing a $500 USD price tag on the console, so if the PS5 does manage to come in at $400 USD, Sony will be coming in under expectations, which is always a great way to generate hype and consumer interest.

That said, it's quite possible this is nothing more than pure hogwash.

Take with a grain of salt. Please lock if sold.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Get the box out the door, take your losses up front and try and recoup in services and publishers fees.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play N Trade? Never even heard of them. 100% bullshit placeholder.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Well I'm certainly not going to complain if it's cheaper than what we've been expecting! :)

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
No idea if the source is accurate, all I'll say is I haven't wavered from my years old $399 prediction despite being laughed out of the room. This is solely based off of the success of PS4 at that price point and the mammoth that is PSN revenue. PS5 specs were not a part of my thought process.

I'm stubborn, and I'm sticking with it. Who cares if I end up wrong? The internet? lol

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think "Canadian retailer Play N Trade" would have received any official word on the price yet, no. It's likely a placeholder price for a page that wasn't intended to be public.

That said, I don't think $399 is unlikely.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
$400 would be a crazy price. Hope it's true, but I won't be surprised if it isn't the case.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
these are all placeholder prices and mean nothing, right? I'd bet that retailers don't know any more on pricing than we do

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say $400 is very cheap. I'd say that's a realistic price for a next-gen console. Very cheap would be $250 for a console imo.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
That said, it's quite possible this is nothing more than pure hogwash.

Yeah.

And after reading the headline I thought they meant something like 300 bucks by "very cheap".

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It would be fair, same as PS4.
Anything higher will be hard to sell in a post pandemic time.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
This rumor is coming entirely from this:

play_n_trade.png

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Skeptical of the price point, but current US/CA prices for comparison:

US PS4 Slim: $300
CA PS4 Slim: $350

US PS4 Pro: $400
CA PS4 Pro: $500

If it is $600 CA, I think it would be $500 USD

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
(Commence Monotone Voice) How did I know it would be some small retailer's placeholder price that obviously wouldn't know the official price.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
For comparison, the PS3 was 660$CAD (then went up to 700$CAD a few months later, lol) when it was first released. The PS4 was 400$CAD (then 450$CAD a few months later).

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
$600 CAD is closer to $425 USD.

Not sure if they'd round down that much when the PS5 alegedly costs $450 to build.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't say $400 is very cheap. I'd say that's a realistic price for a next-gen console. Very cheap would be $250 for a console imo.

Yeah, I'm not sure why "the same price as the PS4 and PS4 Pro" is suddenly "very cheap." (It likely won't even be the cheapest next-gen console.) I'm also not sure why we're just copy and pasting comicbook.com's clickbait headline.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I've irrationally believed for about a year that one of either Microsoft or Sony will push hard and make their system cost $449 and I'm sticking with that :P

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Nah. I would recommend to stop dreaming about 400.

It's a super high chance to set yourself up for disappointment.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The article said the listing was for $600 CAD, but really it was $559 CAD, which is almost exactly $399 USD.

Oh I see.

$400 USD sounds right if Sony isn't hurting for cash. Wonder if Microsoft will try to match it or if they'll bust out the Series S to undercut it? Sony might actually be in a good spot if their console seems like the best "value" slotted directly between the two Microsoft offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.