• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AS STATED BELOW IN DETAIL, THIS IS JUST SPECULATION, BASED ON SOME GUESSWORK AND PRECEDENCE, AS WELL AS SIMPLE DEDUCTION AND ELIMINATION. NO INSIDER KNOWLEDGE IS INVOLVED.

Assuming that Pokemon is due out this year for the Nintendo Switch, we are rapidly running out of time for Nintendo to actually announce it. There are indications that the game is coming out this year (it's the only one of the Switch games that have been announced with nebulous release dates which has a concrete "2018" attached with it; the anime is almost done with material from the Gen 7 games; the last Gen 7 Pokemon has been revealed, so there's nothing else left for Gen 7 at this point, short of another surprise mid-gen addition like Zeroara was)- but there's still no actual concrete word Pokemon is coming this year.

My theory is, assuming that Pokemon is due out on Switch this year, could it be getting announced within the next eight days? Now, this might sound like a rather dramatic idea without context, but there are reasons to speculate that might be happening. Given that Nintendo's financial report is April 26 and that they will need to outline their planned lineup of games for the year in their report (at least from the games that they have actually announced), what are the odds that, assuming Pokémon is this year, it is announced before then, even if the announcement is as facile and empty as Sun/Moon's original announcement was? I mean, of course, nothing stops them from "2018 or later"ing it again in their financial report and just announcing it later, but still, it is an idea to consider, especially given that there is a free slot on the Japanese Nintendo Direct archive (and that a Pokemon Direct was removed from the page to free up that slot). If Nintendo plans to actually assure investors of how they plan on selling 20 million Switch units this year, then announcing that they have Pokemon and Smash hitting this year will be the easiest way to assure them of that idea- but unless they want to actually announce the game's release date via an investor briefing, it would be to their benefit to make a consumer facing announcement via a Pokemon Direct ahead of time then as well. With Zeroara's announcement now out of the way, and no more Gen 7 considerations, the way is clear for them to announce Gen 8 at last, too.

It is also important to remember that we are really far into the year now- while Pokemon games have previously been announced as late as May or June, they have been remakes and re-releases like ORAS and USUM, never a new game entirely. It is also important to remember that new mainline Pokemon games have thus far never debuted at E3- The Pokemon Company usually likes to do its own thing. All of this suggests that we are due for an announcement sooner rather than later- and sooner, well, Nintendo and TPCi would probably want to do it asap so they can commit to the date to Nintendo's investors too.

To be clear, the lack of an announcement in the next eight days doesn't necessarily mean that Pokemon isn't coming this year. As noted already, Nintendo can just "2018 or later" the game again, and announce it at a later date- but as noted above, beyond April 26, precedence makes the pool of possibility for the game to be announced and subsequently released this year smaller and smaller.

TL;DR: I think that Pokemon is due an announcement within the next eight days. If it's not announced by April 26, the chances of it releasing this year drop dramatically. I also think that it is in Nintendo's best interests to actually get Pokemon out this year, because right now they are sorely lacking in mainstream titles to keep the Switch's momentum going- as big as Smash is, it alone cannot carry the system for the entire year. That is, to me, another consideration for why Pokemon will be this year, and why, as a result, it will be announced within the next eight days.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Eight days is such a hilariously specific number. I'd agree with you though, that time is running out if it's this year. Also a possibility that they're genuinely not sure if it's going to be ready. I think it'll sell well regardless of when it's announced. At the end of the day, the Switch itself was only revealed like two months before it released.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eight days is such a hilariously specific number. I'd agree with you though, that time is running out if it's this year. Also a possibility that they're genuinely not sure if it's going to be ready. I think it'll sell well regardless of when it's announced. At the end of the day, the Switch itself was only revealed like two months before it released.
Well, eight days is predicated on their financial briefing, lol. It's eight days from now. It has to happen before then, is the thesis of my post.

Oct 25, 2017
It could still be announced at e3 and released this year. Don't think they have to follow the traditional reveal to release period with the new game

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
What Lapras screenshot?

I think it was this?

Pokemon-Nintendo-Switch-Leaked-Image-640x353.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't think not being announced within 8 days kill it being released this year because ... well .. theorically it was ALREADY announced =P

They can do exactly like last year e3 did "we are doing a pokemon for switch" in the investors and announce properly it on a pokemon direct in may or at e3.

But I have faith that it will be a very lukewarm announcement within 8 days with more details later at e3 or not

ckfy63a

Oct 28, 2017
a place beyond seeing...
Quoting my reply from the other thread:

Just looking at the facts here, every Results Briefing since Tatsumi Kimishima took over as Global President:

2015-10-29: Miitomo, Nintendo's first smartphone application, announced
2016-02-03: Nothing
2016-04-28: Nintendo's E3 2016 plans announced, focused on BOTW, and NX coming March 2017
2016-10-27: 8 days before this, Nintendo Switch was unveiled to the world
2017-02-01: Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 was a couple weeks beforehand, essentially full reveal of console and lineup
2017-04-28: New Nintendo 2DS announced
2017-10-31: Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp announced a week prior
2018-02-01: Nintendo Labo announced a couple weeks prior
2018-04-26: ?

It's clear that Nintendo's current leadership (I can't speak for the Iwata days, but we saw it with ORAS at least) likes to time big announcement around their quarterly results. If we don't get a significant announcement this or next week that would be impactful to Nintendo's financials in the future (read: Pokémon this holiday), it'd be shocking.

It's pretty clear from precedent that we're going to get some significant information in the next 8-9 days about how Nintendo intends to hit their targets for this fiscal year. As we saw in April 2016, though, this can be as simple as a text slide saying "We intend to do a full gameplay reveal of Pokémon RPG for Nintendo Switch (temp.) at the E3 trade show in June, plans will be announced by NoA in the coming weeks."

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What if they saw all of the crazy speculation and decided to delay gen 8 and just make a sequel to Pokemon Shuffle?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think not being announced within 8 days kill it being released this year because ... well .. theorically it was ALREADY announced =P

They can do exactly like last year e3 did "we are doing a pokemon for switch" in the investors and announce it on a pokemon direct in may or at e3.

But I have faith that it will be a very lukewarm announcement within 8 days with more details later at e3 or not
Well yes, like I said, it doesn't kill the chance, it just reduces the pool sharply.

I do think it will be as you said, an empty announcement ala SuMo, and then a proper blowout later.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
ORAS was revealed right after the investor meeting in 2014. Since they don't need to provide actual game details to investors, I could see Nintendo pulling something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.