• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Rocksteady Studios, creators of the Batman Arkham franchise, have been eerily quiet about their next game. It has been over 3 years since Arkham Knight released, and not even a peep. Rumors have come out the woodwork saying what their next game might be, and they haven't debunked any(thankfully we have insiders for that). But, it got me to thinking..... what exactly could their next game be? With Game Awards approaching fast and many thinking Rocksteady will finally make an appearance, I thought it would be fun to take a look.

Let's go through what we know about the game:

Now that we know what it is, let's go over what it ain't:

This doesn't leave a ton of possibilities. Gaz Deaves, their marketing manager, has said in a tweet that whatever game it is will "blow our minds." There aren't a ton of DC titles outside of Superman, Batman and the Justice League that would collectively get a ton of people excited. Anything outside of the main seven can probably get tossed out. My personal bet: Green Lantern Corps.

What do you guys think it might be? Flash? Wonder Woman? Or maybe one of the insiders got it wrong and it really is something that has already been "debunked?"

EDIT: Seems a lot of people within the thread think that some of the debunks aren't actually debunks, or could potentially be wrong. Only two I would put back up for contention would be Superman and Justice League, seeing as the others have been debunked by Rocksteady themselves.

Also, just because these job postings point towards a multiplayer-esque game, doesn't mean it relies on it. It could be passive multiplayer, or just have a dedicated game mode.

Lastly, next-gen can and probably should be scratched off that list too. Rocksteady has steadily been using that in job postings since 2016.

UPDATE: The debunks were true.

After that entire Superman fiasco, these three are now officially debunked by Jason Schreier:

UPDATE #2:

For those who still don't believe the debunks, the man himself jschreier was on Kotaku SplitScreen and told that all the rumors of Rocksteady's next game is bs, they are NOT working on: Superman, Batman, Justice League, or TMNT. He says Rocksteady's next game is a "group of superheroes, GaaS type of thing". Take that and speculate as you will.

UPDATE #3:

An email from an employee at WB recently leaked:

In short, it alludes to Rocksteady's next game being a GaaS, multiplayer loot shooter. Things we already knew. Some interesting tidbits in here might point to what the game actually is, though.

It mentions multiple cities/areas (Gotham is the start, Star City is first installment in waves of DLC) and raids that will be accompanied within each city. (Ra's al Ghul is a pre-order bonus). Each city will have hub areas and a hero assigned to them (Green Arrow is in Star City). There will be online multiplayer, combat, and loot alongside customizable options (pre-order bonuses can get you iconic superhero costumes).

All of this information compiled within the document can pretty much guarantee that Rocksteady's next game is some sort of "create your own DC superhero and fight alongside your friends" kind of game where the regular DC heroes are like mentors and send you out on missions a la DC Universe Online. Each city will have a hero in a hub area that will then send you out on missions, and the game will constantly be updated with new cities and new heroes and gear.

If these leaks are true, then it really does sound like a cool game. My only hope is that it will play and feel somewhat like Arkham. I hope Rocksteady gives us a variety of powers/weapons to choose from and really flesh out the world of the DC Game Universe.

As for WB Montreal, they're probably working on keeping the mainline DC games going. They've teased a Batman: Court of Owls game for the past few months, and have another DC game in the pipeline. These will most likely be released every couple years as Rocksteady updates this massive DC game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
More interested in WB Montreal 'cause I want more Batman and assume they are the studio that will make that happen. Crazy that we have gone the whole generation without seeing them, especially since their Batman game with Damian was very nearly revealed a couple years ago. Obviously whatever that was has, at best, been rebooted.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't see them working on something that's a step down from Batman like Green Lantern. A side step like Superman or a step above like Justice League just makes the most sense to me. One of those "debunks" has to be inaccurate. Can't even imagine what they could be doing if not those.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that we know what it is, let's go over what it ain't:

When you put it like this, my interest drops significantly. There aren't really any other DC properties I'd find interesting enough to have a studio as talented as Rocksteady developing them. I was wishing they'd either move on to a new IP or if they didn't, then a Justice League game. The fact that they might be working on a bloody Flash or Wonder Woman game seems like such a waste.

I mean, I'll still buy it cos Rocksteady, but it feels like a waste.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't see them working on something that's a step down from Batman like Green Lantern. A side step like Superman or a step above like Justice League just makes the most sense to me. One of those "debunks" has to be inaccurate. Can't even imagine what they could be doing if not those.
The big question would be then, which one? Because I believe making a Justice League game would kind of get rid of the reason for WB Montreal to make solo games for the DC characters

... is DC Vertigo off the table?
I think so. I don't think WB would give their biggest studio anything less than Batman caliber characters.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol its not a next gen game come on. they didnt start making a next gen game in 2015.

WB wont let them skip a gen with 120 million userbase.

And it's justice league or superman. Probably justice league which is why its taking so long.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Why did it have to be anything DC rated? I'm not aware of their situation. Are they owned by WB or something?

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The job positions may also be for two or three projects. So we don't know if it's really for that one game.
They only have 182 people on their staff. I doubt they got the room for two projects, especially if one is GaaS multiplayer

lol its not a next gen game come on. they didnt start making a next gen game in 2015.

WB wont let them skip a gen with 120 million userbase.

And it's justice league or superman. Probably justice league which is why its taking so long.
All the job posts say the words "next-gen" in them. And insiders who know what the game is already denounced those two. They could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Oct 27, 2017
If WB Montreal has Suicide Squad tied up then I have no clue what they could be working on, but I definitely see it in the vein of creating your own hero and doing missions and stuff like that. Maybe something like DC Universe Online but not a MMO?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Why did it have to be anything DC rated? I'm not aware of their situation. Are they owned by WB or something?
Yes. They were acquired by TimeWarner in February 2010 and are a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Also they were hiring for a community manager like 2 months ago right? Me thinks they're gearing to announce the project at The Game Awards

rocksteady-aaa-game-1132825.jpeg

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
My guess based on all we know is Legion of Super-Heroes.

And, in gameplay terms, basically being Destiny leaning more towards superpowers. Hunter -> Speedster, Warlock -> Green Lantern, etc.

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
GaaS. Arkham Knight already went the route of sacrificing the core game design and structure for "prolonged content" in the good ol' "Keep them playing as long as possible so they're around when DLC releases" model and a grand-slam 40 dollar season pass.

Rocksteady is already WB Games's bitch and I look forward to them crafting fantastic improvements to their engine but being undermined as a creative gamedev team when they have to continually pump out content in shortening deadlines for some GaaS Arkhamverse title where the mary sue player character is the best character evaaar.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
There's a theory online that some of the easter eggs in Arkham Knight don't point towards Superman, but Supergirl instead.

Here's the twitter thread:

Yes. They were acquired by TimeWarner in February 2010 and are a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Also they were hiring for a community manager like 2 months ago right? Me thinks they're gearing to announce the project at The Game Awards

The job ad for that has been gone for quite some time now, so the job has been filled.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Oh. Never knew that. I'm... Kinda bummed at that news. Would like to see what they do away from DC stuff. Oh well.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm betting on gritty Teen Titans if it's not Justice League, since it follows their same passion for cartoons of that era, and it strikes me as a lot more likely than Lanterns given the target demographics for games.

DC is also pushing that brand a lot these days.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

well, given these aspects, i'm no longer sure i really care what it might be, unfortunately :) ...

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm betting on gritty Teen Titans if it's not Justice League, since it follows their same passion for cartoons of that era, and it strikes me as a lot more likely than Lanterns given the target demographics for games.

This wouldn't surprise me a ton, yeah.

I know people have argued this point, but I think a real potential problem for a Superman or GL game would be that delivering mechanically solid and genuinely entertaining gameplay *while also* having a good amount of things to do *while also* truly delivering on the spectacle and bombast of what we'll call the "big budget" superheroes (to whom ordinary humans pose zero threat) would be quite difficult.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

A Teen Titans/Young Justice game would get me as hyped as a Justice League game