• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I realised that the PS5 has on the front
1 USB C port, and 1 dedicated charging port (USB A) without USB function.

psusb.jpg

fp59-1.jpg

"USB Battery Charging defines a charging port, which may be a charging downstream port (CDP), with data, or a dedicated charging port (DCP) without data. Dedicated charging ports can be found on USB power adapters to run attached devices and battery packs. Charging ports on a host with both kinds will be labelled."

What this means is that if you plug in an arcade stick into that USB-A port, it won't function (I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the USB-A port to charge DualShock 4s, since they apparently work on the PS5). That being said, I'd imagine that there will be back ports as well. But given that Sony made the USB-A front port only for charging, I wouldn't be surprised if the back ports that are for data end up being USB-C.

Source: Sony (pointed out by EagleClaw here on ResetEra)

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Good. It's time for USB-A to go away. Also, makes sense as they can use the data pins for power, so it can charge compatible devices faster.

EDIT: Wait, that doesn't mean it's only for charging, though......

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This kinda guarantees there's a data USB A in the back, no? Otherwise PSVR wouldn't work.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I wonder if this was a cost saving decision?

This may change the configuration of my PS5 wen I get it because my wired headset would be connected through the back, so its a pain.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Disappointing that there's now only one port on the front.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
So you need to plug in the external or any usb sticks only into the back?

Kinda weird.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
on my ps4 i use one port for external drive and the other has a usb hub for my pad and headset,so for ps5 it would be hub at front and external at back then.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
They may add an extra port or two to the rear of the unit to make up for it.

For me, it doesn't matter. I don't plan to plug anything into it except the controller to charge, so either one will work (I assume you can charge through the C port). I'll probably end up getting another cable anyway so I can keep it charging on the couch or while I'm still playing. The dinky 3' cable it will inevitably come with won't even reach my coffee table.

Edit: That's referring to the front ports. I do plan on getting a small external SSD to put my PS4 games on, but that will plug into the rear. I'll wait until we get a look at the back of the box and get the specs on all the ports before I decide which one to buy.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to put the thing on there, why wouldn't you just make it support data anyway?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that is the case, I have a laptop with that exact symbol and it's not a charge only port. It means it provides standby power and also can charge at higher rates than other ports.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Also, I really don't understand what the advantage of USB C over A is at all.
Copied from Digital Trends:

USB-C is a newer port design officially announced in 2014, although it took several years for the ports to reach widespread consumer devices, as we're seeing today. USB-C was made to be an entirely new type of USB port that would solve many of the problems of the old USB-A port. Key features of USB-C include:
  • A slimmer design that can fit into a port no matter which direction it's flipped, designed to replace A, B, mini and micro connections all at once
  • A 100-watt, 20-volt connection that's far more powerful than the older port and can handily power even larger devices
  • Potential for much higher transfer speeds than USB-A
  • Support for power delivery so that it can charge up devices located on either end (with the right cables), and charge larger devices
  • Support for video delivery at much higher quality, including the ability to transmit 4K video to a screen
  • Support for alternate modes that allow for lots of different adapters for specific connections like HDMI or VG — or older types of USB connections
  • Potential compatibility with Thunderbolt 3 connections, which means a USB-C port can double as a Thunderbolt 3 port with extra hardware

USB-C is great and it's damn time to abandon the old USB-A connector

Oct 25, 2017
"just use an adapter"
come on man don't do this to me, not on the forum that still uses headphone jacks

It costs Sony probably pennies to have a full functional USB port on the front

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
So just speculation?
How is the source Sony? Where does Sony say that it is only for charging ?

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
No matter what kind of USB's are on the front I highly doubt there are none at the back. Two USB's are not enough no matter the type.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I guess few people here use the front ports to record footage. That's my primary use and I use my 128gb usb drive.

if this only does charging, then it means I need to position the console in a way that I can access the back without too much difficulty.
That's not a good thing.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not finding a lot of links online that support that the lightning symbol means that it doesn't deliver data. Anyone got some additional links?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Why i think they choosed to use a "only charging port"

Wikipedia:

Per the base specification, any device attached to a standard downstream port (SDP) must initially be a low-power device, with high-power mode contingent on later USB configuration by the host. Charging ports, however, can immediately supply between 0.5 and 1.5 A of current. The charging port must not apply current limiting below 0.5 A, and must not shut down below 1.5 A or before the voltage drops to 2 V.

It guarantees fast charging, or "high" power supply for devices.
So, that is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.