• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought this was really interesting:
https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/calebhart42-twitch-ban-racist-chat/

Calebhart42 was midway through a stream when he accidentally pulled up a Discord chat. He closed the window promptly, but not before his viewers caught a glimpse. The chat window briefly displayed Calebhart42's use of a racial slur. The people at Twitch quickly responded, banning Calebhart42 for an unannounced period of time.

CW: Hard-R N-word.

I think in this particular case, it's pretty clear he deserves a ban. The T.O.S forbids streamers from broadcasting themselves being racist. Caleb broadcast himself being racist. He did it unintentionally, and he didn't make the racist comment live, but there's no reading of the rules that gets him out of this imo.

What is interesting is how far this punishment should extend. He sent the racist message to another Twitch streamer. As far as we can tell, the other Twitch streamer, while an active participant in the conversation, didn't say anything racist. Should this guy get banned or suspended? What would have happened if this message was revealed on the other streamer's channel?

Clearly, Twitch cares about context when it comes to cases like this: they probably judge having a swastika on display in your stream's background a lot differently than looking at them in Wolfenstein or whatever. Does context matter here? Does/should Twitch care about it's content producers participating in conversations with racist language? What are your guys' thoughts?

If you're just going to post "FUCK THAT GUY, BAN HIS ASS," please don't. While I agree with you, I don't think comments like that add anything to discussions and I'm a little disappointed the mods aren't more strict about them.

EDIT 19-04-20:
OP, you should rewrite the second paragraph of your opening post.

You are not being clear here. Are you talking about the banned streamer or his friend?

I am going to assume you're talking about the latter.

But your ambiguity is leading some to think you are standing up for the racist ("Should the racist be banned or suspended?" means "Should the racist receive a lesser punishment?", given that the idiot was permanently barred). And even if you are referring to his friend, it doesn't help that you are referring to them as "the guy". You should clear things up.

I don't think it's particularly ambiguous, but to be clear: Caleb is a racist, and he got banned for being racist. There is no universe where you can portray the sequence of events in a way that doesn't involve him using a slur and broadcasting it. It's as just as a ban can get, there's very little room for discussion about the particulars of this specific case.

What is more interesting, and what most people in this thread have been engaging with, is how far accountability should go here. Should Carcinogen be given any sort of penalty? What would have happened if Caleb's Discord logs leaked while he wasn't on Twitch, or if they leaked while streaming, but the conversation was reversed and he wasn't the one who said the n-word?

Twitch should absolutely have a mandate to ban racists from using their services, and as a privately owned company they're well within their rights to define "racist" however they want, but cases aren't always going to be as clear-cut as Caleb's.

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't wanna make a generalization, but between this and the guy that got banned from GDQ...is there something particularly toxic about the Doom speedrunning community?

EDIT:
AFAIK Caleb isn't a DooM speedrunner. He just has it as a background.

And I can't speak to the DooM speedrunning community, but I'm a lurker in the DooM Mapping community, and 99% of the people there are just chill old boomers.
Ah, okay. Should've clicked the video to confirm what game he was playing, but I really didn't want to see the content described...

OP
OP

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really don't wanna make a generalization, but between this and the guy that got banned from GDQ...is there something particularly toxic about the Doom speedrunning community?

AFAIK Caleb isn't a DooM speedrunner. He just has it as a background.

And I can't speak to the DooM speedrunning community, but I'm a lurker in the DooM Mapping community, and 99% of the people there are just chill old boomers.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Uh, I don't think the other person should eat a ban. If my coworker says a racial slur in front of me and a third party hears it, should I be fired?

Also. Sad. He seemed cool at GDQ, but alas. Hard unfollow

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017

Caleb is not a dedicated Doom speedrunner. He's known for running Mega Man, FF VII, and other classic games. He's in my followed list (most good GDQ runners are) and I've never seen him run Doom.

Uh, I don't think the other person should eat a ban. If my coworker says a racial slur in front of me and a third party hears it, should I be fired?

Apparently Caleb used the N word, not someone else.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

Well, considering that before DOOM16 came out, the most popular contemporary form of DOOM was Brutal Doom... Which is a mod that regularly has Racist slurs and other problematic shit in its patchnotes...

Yes.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You could write a book on the toxicity and drama that goes down in the speedrunning community at large - or behind the scenes anyway.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
what kind of corny ass angling are you going for OP?

Not much debate here, he was broadcasting and accidentally outed his racist ass. Not much else to go off really.

If you're gonna be a trashbag, hide it better?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
What is interesting is how far this punishment should extend. He sent the racist message to another Twitch streamer. As far as we can tell, the other Twitch streamer, while an active participant in the conversation, didn't say anything racist. Should this guy get banned or suspended? What would have happened if this message was revealed on the other streamer's channel?
Of course the other person shouldn't be banned. That's silly.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Caleb is not a dedicated Doom speedrunner. He's known for running Mega Man, FF VII, and other classic games. He's in my followed list (most good GDQ runners are) and I've never seen him run Doom.

Apparently Caleb used the N word, not someone else.
Yeah. No, fuck Caleb. But if I was reading can correctly, the guy in discord didn't.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Got all the context you need. Very white dude writes "sup nigger?" as a greeting. Who knows how often he says this. Yes, Twitch should care about conservations because I'm assuming they don't want racist Twitch content producers.

OP
OP

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
what kind of corny ass angling are you going for OP?

Not much debate here, he was broadcasting and accidentally outed his racist ass. Not much else to go off really.

If you're gonna be a trashbag, hide it better?

Hmm, I feel like I was pretty explicit several times in the OP about how I felt about the ban (specifically that it was just and good), but it's interesting you decided to just completely ignore that and assume I meant literally the exact opposite. I'm sorry you're looking to fight about this and instead found a thread where the OP agrees with you. Better luck in the future!

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
A real gamer would have screamed it out loud for a true heated gamer moment instead of cowardly flashing it on screen. We truly live in a society.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Weird I had some recommended video last night of him failing a ff7 speedrun. Never knew of him before and will continue to not know.

Peace.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Super interesting. /s

Obviously Twitch only cares if he broadcasts racism on his stream using their service.

What does it matter if this dude and plenty of others say slurs in their private discords and whatnot? People can decide to watch him or not, but Twitch isn't going to ban people for just being known as somebody who says racist slurs. It has to be in a broadcast for it to apply to Twitch. In this case, it seems like it was.

Sorry, but why do you care that Era mods aren't strict on people who show disdain for bigoted people? Is there really some nuanced discussion to be had, other than "Fuck that guy, ban his ass."? Cuz that's pretty much it. Some people are rightfully disappointed because they're probably fans, so maybe they might be less harsh, but seriously. Fuck that guy.

Got all the context you need. Very white dude writes "sup nigger?" as a greeting. Who knows how often he says this. Yes, Twitch should care about conservations because I'm assuming they don't want racist Twitch content producers.

This. Also what is the point in asking about the person on the other end of the convo, who didn't write anything offensive or bannable? Just seems to serve no purpose.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Personally, no, I don't think so, but it also depends on your demeanor during the conversation I guess.

Your demeanor doesn't matte, no. Someone could laugh uncomfortably, that doesn't mean they condone a racist remark they just heard.

This guy deserves to be banned, no two ways about it, but it's ridiculous to even ask whether someone else should be banned for simply receiving a slur in a message.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"He did it unintentionally"

What, being racist or being caught as a racist? It wouldn't make a difference when he made the racist comment. Seems like a dumb thing to say.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
For real, almost all of these people are crappy people behind the curtain. That extends to any medium. It's a shame younger people graft on to streamers as hard as they do.

OP
OP

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"He did it unintentionally"

What, being racist or being caught as a racist? It wouldn't make a difference when he made the racist comment. Seems like a dumb thing to say.

If there are two parts of getting banned on Twitch for racism (being racist, and broadcasting it), he did the first part intentionally, and the second part unintentionally. It's not a dumb thing to say, it's a perfectly accurate description of what happened: he unintentionally showed his Discord.

Oct 30, 2017
Can we talk about Carcinogensda as well? What should be expected of him here?
th

Zaverious

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess CarcinogenSDA says it casually or allows it too. Shame since he's one of the few streamers I watch.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This coming from caleb is 100% unsurprising. He has had his share of issues with GDQ before. I dont' know why its so hard to be a speed runner and not be a complete idiot.

OP
OP

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This coming from caleb is 100% unsurprising. He has had his share of issues with GDQ before. I dont' know why its so hard to be a speed runner and not be a complete idiot.

Is it that hard tho? There are a shitload of speedrunners and only a handful of shitheads, people just don't make threads or discuss speedrunners who aren't being racist/sexist/transphobic/homophobic/whatever.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If there are two parts of getting banned on Twitch for racism (being racist, and broadcasting it), he did the first part intentionally, and the second part unintentionally. It's not a dumb thing to say, it's a perfectly accurate description of what happened: he unintentionally showed his Discord.
You can't know his intentions unless you're close to him and have talked about it. Was he drunk when he decided to check his Discord? No. You know you can livestream without showing your desktop. He decided to show everything. He's an adult with mental capacity.

OP
OP

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You can't know his intentions unless you're close to him and have talked about it. Was he drunk when he decided to check his Discord? No. You know you can livestream without showing your desktop. He decided to show everything. He's an adult with mental capacity.

People routinely accidentally do things that damage their own personal well being.

You're right, I'm not a mindreader, I can't definitively say why Caleb showed the Discord messages, but it's pretty clear from watching the video that the person who gets paid thousands of dollars to play videogames for a living didn't intentionally reveal banworthy material to his stream for a few seconds.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. He routinely uses the term soy boy and he calls people gay as a comeback. When his chat starts posting racist shit he laughs along with it.

OP
OP

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not surprising. He routinely uses the term soy boy and he calls people gay as a comeback. When his chat starts posting racist shit he laughs along with it.

It's certainly not surprising he's racist, but I am always taken aback whenever people who luck into being able to stream videogames for a living can't do the bare minimum to protect their job. Imagine being told you can work from home by playing Mega Man X all day with the only condition being you can't do anything overtly racist on stream and STILL fucking that up lmao.