• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gummi97

Oct 25, 2017
Karl Jobst beat one of the oldest records in the game. Bunker 17 Agent stood for 5494 days.

Oct 26, 2017
I finally got my ass in gear to speedrun after years of seeing videos on them. I played Maken X casually for a while and after seeing the wr for it skipping the worst level, I got motivated

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
I finally got my ass in gear to speedrun after years of seeing videos on them. I played Maken X casually for a while and after seeing the wr for it skipping the worst level, I got motivated

Nice. The Dreamcast version, right? Outside of the Sonic Adventure games I rarely see much coverage of Dreamcast speedruns, should probably check out more of them.

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. The Dreamcast version, right? Outside of the Sonic Adventure games I rarely see much coverage of Dreamcast speedruns, should probably check out more of them.
Yup. I just got sub 1h with a record of 57:24 today. The differences between the US version and the JP version is staggering also in which the US version is way harder and more prone to dying, but imma try and beat the 2nd place record on my US copy to make it more challenging

I checked out the insane people who run some Shenmue 1 any %. I couldn't imagine trying to route something like that and still have it be 7 hours. That seems like torture.

Last edited:

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize we had a Speedrunning OT

I've been playing/running Dragon Quest Heroes 2 a ton recently. I've never speedrun a game before this, and there's like no speedrunning community at all for this title, but it's been pretty fun and satisfying regardless.

I've always really enjoyed replaying and 'mastering' games so nothing's really changed on that front, but being able to complete a game I love in a practical amount of time is genuinely great. DQH2 is a pretty long game, and is supposed to be around 30 hours long (according to Howlongtobeat), but I've been able to cut that down to under 10 hours, which is way more practical for me (I can get away with two hours a weekday to get through the campaign)

So far I've done only a practice run and two 'serious' attempts. I have the runs "uploaded" (using the PS4 share function) with my current / most recent run being 08:44. Previous runs were 09:34 (old PB) and 11:37 (initial practice run)

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017

0Z8tLTJ.png

I'll try to catch this one. Also Cuphead seems like it'll be a fun one to watch.

Oct 26, 2017
Broke world record for Maken X a while ago and set off to improve it to down to 48:40so far which was over a minute the previous person's WR. Optimizing and improving their strats feels great, and hopefully I can improve it to sub 48 minutes and even more with good RNG. Being the only person running it since previous WR's Dreamcast broke down kinda sucks, but I don't feel as anxious while running it anymore.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to beat my previous best run of DQH2 today. The new run was 7 hours and 59 minutes (pic here, you can see the old PB on save number 1). It was supposed to just be a warm up for me (since I'd taken a break from the game), and it was also a test run for a new party I'd been theorycrafting, so I was surprised that it ended up beating my old, optimized run. It's gonna take some time to upload all the footage, but the main difference between the old and new run is just pure damage output (the new team I ran can just steamroll certain sections of the game)

EDIT: Finally got around to uploading the aforementioned run, here. I also have a newer, recent personal best here which is about 12 minutes faster

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Finally reached my long term goal of sub 48 minutes for Maken X and decided to submit it in for online marathons to showcase my runs. Already did one for Blast the Process, a sega oriented marathon, but I'm not sure if I'll ever stop getting anxious about submitting and doing marathon runs.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Finally reached my long term goal of sub 48 minutes for Maken X and decided to submit it in for online marathons to showcase my runs. Already did one for Blast the Process, a sega oriented marathon, but I'm not sure if I'll ever stop getting anxious about submitting and doing marathon runs.

Congrats! Balancing live speedruns and commentary must be challenging. Not sure how I'd fare but you sound pretty good.

OP
OP
NecroTechno

NecroTechno

Oct 25, 2017
geohell
That's sick! Congratulations :) I don't have any advice for the marathon nerves, but I'm sure you'll be great!

Gummi97

Oct 25, 2017
managed to get my first completion of Uncharted 1 any% on PS3. this game is pretty messy, there's 2 chapters that could kill the run, Chapter 13 to 15 chapter, and Chapter 17 if i don't pause buffers in the correct spot in the Zombie chase. here the run.