• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For you guys wondering about the story - It's approx 30 hours long with some meaty sidequests. The general spoiler free gist is there is a conspiracy going on around a plague that appeared amidst a war against mages. Each of the races in the game have their own ideas of why... It's pretty standard fantasy with some pretty good intrigue a'la Dragon Age origins / BG 2 vain.

I really want to point out how excellent the voice acting is here too which aids the story a LOT. Really nice work, even on the rando npc's. The game also has some really nicely crafted environments with some good atmosphere. It feels like one of those 'gather your party and voyage into the woods' kind of games.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked this up due to the Eurogamer review. I really enjoyed Spellforce 1 way back in the day, and didn't even know they were working on a third one.

Put about 3 hours in last night, and it is fantastic so far. I don't know where all these bug complaints are coming from, it's one of the most polished PC games I've played in a while.

Wheelsner

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yeah, put in about 11 hours and haven't encountered any bugs myself. That said they've been patching this thing like mad since release,even at weekends, so they may have been fixing issues before I got far enough to encounter them. Regardless it's been smooth sailing for me and their post-release support has been excellent.

Agreed about the voice acting too. I've mentioned it already, but it is really well done and I've played AAA RPGs with significantly worse voice work.

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
Spellforce 2 was the last game i played until i gave up on pc gaming, my pc was weak at the time and i couldn't keep up with the specs at the time.But man what a game absolutely loved it, spent many hours with the mini game can't remember the name.Damn i have to see if my laptop can run this in the bare minimum.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Got to meet the orcs.

Didnt expand fast enough.

Got rolled.

Feelsbadman.

Tbf rolling with a black mage, with the elf on healing duty, sounds a bit redundant. Need some non-zombie melee PCs. Thinking of following the steamcommunity suggestion of going 2h bloodlust+aura. Would make sense, given that the range on that thing aint exactly huge.

Deleted member 40148

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 20, 2018
Im sad to see this thread is as dead as my dog. I just finished the game yesterday and it was one of the better RPGs ive played. RTS bit is wonky however there are so many other things the game gets right.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
Same wrt patching. Was looking forward to going back to it this weekend, in fact
-
*checks steamspy*
oh dear, it barely moved 100k units

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017
Had this game on my wishlist for quite some time but was put off by the amount of bugreports.
How is the game these days? Worth picking up?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finishing SP3 now just in time for.....

Soul Harvest. Stand alone SP3 expansion. Release date: 5/28/2019!

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Just noticed on Steam that if you have Spellforce 3 in your library, the standalone expansion is only $14.99 instead of $24.99. It says limited time offer, but no idea how long it is.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spellforce Soul Harvest seems to be significantly better reviewed than Spellforce 3. Are both worth getting, or should I just grab Soul Harvest?

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Started playing this few days ago and I'm literally stunned! Graphically this game is phenomenal. Some effects are not even in every shooter (grass wobbling when something is going through for example). It seems I'm lucky and all the major bugs are fixed. I'm having a blast so far. Will get Soul Harvest soon if the game continues as good as the first few missions are.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
This is not a very active OT, but it's still an OT!

Just found out that another SP3 DLC is coming out. Also standalone or addon. You play as Trolls. My guess is the pricing will be the same as the last one. Reduced if you own the base game.
store.steampowered.com

SpellForce 3 Fallen God on Steam

Command the Trolls and lead them on an epic journey across the wild continent of Urgath. As Chieftain of the Moonkin, a tribe driven from its home by tusk hunters and disease, their survival is in your hands.

When the gods have abandoned you, there is only one hope for salvation: Find a new god! This is the conclusion Akrog, chieftain of the Moonkin trolls, comes to. He leads his clan through the continent of Urgath, struggling to survive. The player's mission is to guide the new playable faction, the trolls, through an all-new 15-hour long singleplayer campaign. SpellForce 3 - Fallen God is a standalone expansion and can be played without having played any SpellForce game before (but we would encourage everyone to do so!)

New features for the singleplayer campaign include:
  • Salvaging of weapons to craft superior equipment for your tribe and your heroes
  • The new character-shaping mechanic, adding true replayability value (see below)
  • Multiple endings for the campaign, based on your decisions
Trailer

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
It's a janky RTS/RPG for sure, but it's still fun, looks great and there isn't much out there in this area lately.
How does this compare to WC3? Been looking for a similar game due to Blizzard's antics and I've heard this be referenced by a few articles, but it's hard to get a good read on the game from videos I've seen.

Oct 27, 2017
How does this compare to WC3? Been looking for a similar game due to Blizzard's antics and I've heard this be referenced by a few articles, but it's hard to get a good read on the game from videos I've seen.

Those two games can't be compared at all. Surprisingly Spellforce 3 is more like Baldurs Gate than Warcraft. There's a huge emphasis on the story and RPG elements. The RTS part is kinda underwhelming because the AI literally cheats and overwhelmes you with bigger and bigger automatically spawned waves if you give it enough time, so slowly expanding and building an army is more or less discouraged.

In fact most of the time the only viable strategy later on once an RTS battle starts is to take your group of heroes straight to the enemy headquarter and destroy it before the AI has units to react.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Those two games can't be compared at all. Surprisingly Spellforce 3 is more like Baldurs Gate than Warcraft. There's a huge emphasis on the story and RPG elements. The RTS part is kinda underwhelming because the AI literally cheats and overwhelmes you with bigger and bigger automatically spawned waves if you give it enough time, so slowly expanding and building an army is more or less discouraged.

In fact most of the time the only viable strategy later on once an RTS battle starts is to take your group of heroes straight to the enemy headquarter and destroy it before the AI has units to react.
Darn, well thanks for the heads up!

Oct 27, 2017
Darn, well thanks for the heads up!

Don't get me wrong, it's really really good for what it is but if you look for some kind of competitive alternative to WC3 this probably isn't it. Then again this new expansion seems to have a focus on multiplayer by introducing ranked battles and ladders and stuff like that so it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out for it.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Don't get me wrong, it's really really good for what it is but if you look for some kind of competitive alternative to WC3 this probably isn't it. Then again this new expansion seems to have a focus on multiplayer by introducing ranked battles and ladders and stuff like that so it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out for it.
No no I'm actually not interested in the competitive aspect of WC3 at all, I'm more interested in something similar to WC3 and it's campaign but expanded upon the RPG hero aspects.

Having a hero + some units and a base or two and doing a variety of campaign missions was what appealed to me the most in WC3, that and custom games.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
The RTS part is kinda underwhelming because the AI literally cheats and overwhelmes you with bigger and bigger automatically spawned waves if you give it enough time, so slowly expanding and building an army is more or less discouraged.
depends heavily on the map though. There are maps/missions where the cheating is fucking annoying. But most are fair and the AI is not noticable cheating.

The base game is dirt cheap quiet often. Then you can try. Or buy and try and refund on steam instead.

Oct 27, 2017
No no I'm actually not interested in the competitive aspect of WC3 at all, I'm more interested in something similar to WC3 and it's campaign but expanded upon the RPG hero aspects.

Having a hero + some units and a base or two and doing a variety of campaign missions was what appealed to me the most in WC3, that and custom games.

If that's your angle then absolutely give the game a try if you can get it on a sale.

depends heavily on the map though. There are maps/missions where the cheating is fucking annoying. But most are fair and the AI is not noticable cheating.

The base game is dirt cheap quiet often. Then you can try. Or buy and try and refund on steam instead.

I've played it on hard since normal was way too easy, except for the RTS part where the number of enemies is cranked up to eleven. I even had to turn it down to normal during some parts because it was way too annoying otherwise.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Figure it's fine to bump this old OT as the game is now on PC Gamepass. I noticed on the client there is a co-op option here. Has anyone played it? How does the game hold up now after all the patches? Never played a Spellforce title.