• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bigkurz

User permanently banned at their own request.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really have to give the first another try. I gave up too fast because I was bad

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After thinking about it, I'm honestly a little hesitant about a Spelunky 2. I mean the original is such a master class example of excellent game design that I'm finding it hard to imagine a sequel that could do it justice. I'm almost expecting Spelunky 2 to not be as good as Spelunky 1 simply due to how hard it would be to make it better overall. Change too many things and the game balance breaks, don't change enough and it's just a retread of the first one....
Pretty much my thoughts 1:1.

I'll still be playing it and I'm super excited to see how they decided to iterate on Spelunky's near-perfect design, but I'm very unsure about how successful they'll be.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
True, other developers didn't did that for Steamworld Dig 2...

Indeed, they didn't; neither Steamworld Dig is a roguelike.

It was only a question that still hasn't an official answer for what I see. Even if there are little chances I'll still looking too, cause I liked the gameplay of Spelunky but not the formula.

I don't understand how that's possible considering Spelunky's formula IS its gameplay, but OK, keep hoping for that Spelunky-somehow-reimagined-as-a-normal-platformer (actually, that is a sleight of hand I would love to see, just out of morbid curiosity).

After thinking about it, I'm honestly a little hesitant about a Spelunky 2. I mean the original is such a master class example of excellent game design that I'm finding it hard to imagine a sequel that could do it justice. I'm almost expecting Spelunky 2 to not be as good as Spelunky 1 simply due to how hard it would be to make it better overall. Change too many things and the game balance breaks, don't change enough and it's just a retread of the first one....

This is my gut instinct as well, but again I didn't think the original freeware version could be improved either, so I'm cautiously optimistic and willing to be surprised. :)

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Really looking forward to this. And I'm hoping they change it up a bit from the original. I guess we'll be climbing into the sky instead of tunnelling down?

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017

Thinking of the few but annoying flaws the first game had (the tediousness of kiting the ghost for maximum score being the biggest one) keeps me from putting it on an unassailable pedestal; I'm looking forward to enjoying the sequel on its own terms. Plus, there are features that I was hoping would be expanded on in DLC in the original game, such as a larger number of alternate level "feelings" (like the snake pit in the mines, the big yeti in the ice caves, etc.) that would further keep playthroughs feeling varied. Another great potential addition would be branching endgame paths with different final bosses, or different characters that actually played slightly differently (to crib shamelessly from Binding of Isaac).

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Just curious and without judgement: what about the random generation turns you off? Do you prefer perfecting the execution of a known layout in a platformer to forever trying to react to unpredictable levels?
Yeah, i like to learn and master a level, beat it and move on, that sense of progression
Even if it will last 5-6 hours, I will love to play it in that way and the mechanic of Spelunky were good (jumping and killing) but everything else turned me off after one hour.

I prefer to play "crafted" product, so I asked, that's it.

Indeed, they didn't; neither Steamworld Dig is a roguelike.
The first one had random generated levels, the second one not.
I don't understand how that's possible considering Spelunky's formula IS its gameplay, but OK, keep hoping for that Spelunky-somehow-reimagined-as-a-normal-platformer (actually, that is a sleight of hand I would love to see, just out of morbid curiosity).

Like said before, I liked game mechanics like jump etc, how character controls, the basic gameplay, not the rng and roguelike elements, I don't think it's that hard to get my position.

I only asked if the game shared the same formula of first game, I haven't demanded anything..

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I feel like the first game is SO GOOD that the announcement makes me anxious that i'll be disappointed by the sequel. It's like a Portal 2 situation to me. Derek Yu and his team are under crazy pressure.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I feel like the first game is SO GOOD that the announcement makes me anxious that i'll be disappointed by the sequel. It's like a Portal 2 situation to me. Derek Yu and his team are under crazy pressure.

The absolutely worst-case scenario is that Spelunky 2 isn't as good as the original and we'll have to go back to playing Spelunky.

Crunchewy

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, i like to learn and master a level, beat it and move on, that sense of progression
Even if it will last 5-6 hours, I will love to play it in that way and the mechanic of Spelunky were good (jumping and killing) but everything else turned me off after one hour.

I prefer to play "crafted" product, so I asked, that's it.

Like said before, I liked game mechanics like jump etc, how character controls, the basic gameplay, not the rng and roguelike elements, I don't think it's that hard to get my position.

I only asked if the game shared the same formula of first game, I haven't demanded anything..

Spelunky 2 will be a roguelike. That's your answer.

Parakeetman

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to a lot of death & swearing once again just like the first. Hope the shopkeeper makes his shotgun wielding ass back in the 2nd title also lol

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Yeah, but a roguelite is a lot more than randomly generated levels. Asking for a Spelunky with crafted levels is asking for a clearly inferior product, but at least I could imagine how that would work. Asking for a Spelunky that is not a roguelite is asking for a completely different product; you might as well reimagine it as a soccer game.

Indeed. If what you liked about Spelunky is "jump" and "how the character controls", then yours is the position of someone who doesn't know anything about Spelunky, and so doesn't really understand what they are asking for. It's like watching the first minute of Casablanca and saying "I like the setting, but could they remove this Rick character? Also, I don't like that it's in black and white". Changing it to make a color movie would result in a movie that at least resembles Casablanca; removing Rick would not; to know this, of course, you must have watched Casablanca, which is my point.

Sure, and I'm not demanding that Casablanca be remade as a color movie without Rick, I'm just asking. :)
(just trying to give you some understanding of why you're not being taken seriously)

Eszik

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
If what you liked about Spelunky is "jump" and "how the character controls", then yours is the position of someone who doesn't know anything about Spelunky, and so doesn't really understand what they are asking for.
I'd disagree here. Obviously the game's biggest quality is the design of its enemies and hazards, and how they interact with each other and with the randomly generated levels, but what makes the experience so pleasant is also how well the character controls. Spelunky's whip is an incredible gameplay mechanic, and it doesn't need random levels to work.
IMO Spelunky would be far from as good if it had crafted levels, but the core mechanics are still one of its biggest strengths.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
A bit late but oh shiiiiii

Spelunky is one of my favourite games ever. Probably the closest a game has gotten to perfection imho

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... there's a fairly big moon motif in this trailer... wonder if the moon is going to play a key role in this one.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I'm kinda wondering if the main character being younger will have any effect on gameplay....or if it's just more of a narrative choice.

Satonaka

Oct 29, 2017
Madrid
Can't wait to see what changes they introduce to make it better than the original. I'm catching up with the PGW and, after seeing TLoU2 and GoW trailers, this was the announcement to make me smile from cheen to cheek.

Also, please bring it to the Switch! Spelunky is such a good game to play while commuting.

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever beaten Spelunky, only got to what I assume is the final boss. I'm terrible at the game.

That said I'll still probably play the second if I manage to get it.

Shifty

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic news, the original is such an incredible game. Think i'll load it back up to celebrate.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'd disagree here. Obviously the game's biggest quality is the design of its enemies and hazards, and how they interact with each other and with the randomly generated levels, but what makes the experience so pleasant is also how well the character controls.

I agree that Spelunky has exceptionally good control, feel and physics. However that is only a part of the puzzle of what makes it Spelunky.

Spelunky's whip is an incredible gameplay mechanic, and it doesn't need random levels to work.

Here, however, I have to emphatically disagree. Spelunky without the whip would still be Spelunky (what do you even find mechanically special about the whip?). Spelunky without random levels would not.

IMO Spelunky would be far from as good if it had crafted levels, but the core mechanics are still one of its biggest strengths.

Like most excellent games, Spelunky is a collection of amazing design choices; altering even one of them could make the entire game collapse. Frankly, without randomly generated levels I find it hard to imagine having even one tenth of the appeal the game has, let alone keep people hooked for hundreds of hours. It would become a completely different game, with the focus on memorizing levels instead of learning mechanics.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe you can't improve on perfection, but after doing pretty much everything in the game other than a no gold and an eggplant run, I'm pretty happy to see this announcement. very few platformers have ever felt as awesome to play for me as Spelunky, so I eagerly await to see what tweaks, new interactions and secrets derek yu can add to the already wonderful formula.

Is it crazy that this might be one of the games that justifies me getting a switch, if it comes to that platform? Spelunky absolutely popped on the vita. Plus a hell run (usually took about 40 mins) was almost the perfect length for some of the train journeys I take.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I think you're forgetting Spelunky HD isn't actually the original and had a lot of changes and balance tweaks to it compared to the freeware version. While I would expect there to be a more substantial overhaul when it comes to an actual sequel, I think Derek/Mossmouth has already demonstrated he can add and tweak stuff while still keeping the core of the game great.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Just heard the news, watching the teaser, and good lord... I'm hyped for this game! The original game kicked my ass, but I loved going through each stage over and over, there's something about that game that makes me feel cozy, even if I'm being very careful not to get killed by traps. haha

So stoked to play this game!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This is really exciting. Derek is a game design genius (I encourage anyone with even a passing interest in Spelunky to check out his book on designing the game), and I'm really excited to see how he expands and evolves upon Spelunky.

Void777

Oct 28, 2017
This is amazing news! I thought this day would never come! The first still captures my attention to this day. It is my most played game on Steam. I wonder what sort of themes they will create with the levels this time around, and how they could possibly improve the already perfect gameplay.

sealrite

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! Really interested to see how they develop the ideas from the first game! This is the first sequel that I can think of to a game from the modern resurgence of roguelikes, so I wonder if it'll be the same gameplay loop or if they'll add a few permanent elements.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Happy for my first post on Era to be this one:

Fuck yes, Spelunky 2! Can't believe there's going to be a sequel to this near perfect game.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Spelunky guy got hitched with yellow spelunker lady and got a cute kid (I wonder where the damsel fits into all this). I'm really looking forward to this, but I'm also preemptively really sorry for the amount of deaths I'm going to cause his kid.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It's cute they paired up those characters and adopted the dog and stuff. I never really though of them as characters but now that I'm seeing them in this light it's nice.

Ronkie Kong

Oct 27, 2017
Long time lurker for maybe eight years on the other place. This site and this announcement has made me pop out of my cocoon.

Really excited for this game! I always die on the last line when trying to beat Olmec for that last speedlunky trophy.

To bad the trailer wasn't gameplay action. Don't like to be honeydicked.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Rogueing/lite sequels are weird because the inherent appeal of the genre is that each new run is a whole new level set with the same mechanics, so to make a new Spelunky game Yu has to swap out the enemies and tilesets in order to iterate on the first, at which point it will be a radically different game. I expect the game to be divisive, with people having really strong preferences between 1 and 2.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
(I wonder where the damsel fits into all this)
Oh, that's easy.

spelunky2_kapalatusqh.jpg