• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Yeah, i like to learn and master a level, beat it and move on, that sense of progression
Even if it will last 5-6 hours, I will love to play it in that way and the mechanic of Spelunky were good (jumping and killing) but everything else turned me off after one hour.

I prefer to play "crafted" product, so I asked, that's it.

It might not change your mind, but this page goes into brilliant detail about how Spelunky's levels are generated - they're basically as close to being crafted as they can be without actually being so.

Spelunky is about mastering the mechanics and the enemies, rather than the levels. Again, might not change your mind, but it's worth a read even from a game-design viewpoint. It really is a masterpiece.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i like to learn and master a level, beat it and move on, that sense of progression
Even if it will last 5-6 hours, I will love to play it in that way and the mechanic of Spelunky were good (jumping and killing) but everything else turned me off after one hour.

I prefer to play "crafted" product, so I asked, that's it.
I kind of feel that some have a notion that random/procedural-generated content have little room for mastery and progression. How could they, it's random, there's no sense of beating a specific challenge? But that's the beauty of Spelunky and the best roguelikes: you are absolutely mastering the game and progressing even when you start at square one. The mastery in a roguelike isn't one of mastering a specific level, it's mastering the game's systems and logic. It's the same principle behind those early runs through a Souls game, in that as you learn the mechanics and rhythm, what once seemed impossible can be sprinted past and defeated with trained ease

Roguelikes and Spelunky are the same way. Except the impossible isn't a tough boss or area; it's the situations the game places you in, and then asks you to roll with the punches. Can you improvise, adapt, react your way out of a bad situation, overcome through your knowledge and understanding of the systems and mechanics?

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I kind of feel that some have a notion that random/procedural-generated content have little room for mastery and progression. How could they, it's random, there's no sense of beating a specific challenge? But that's the beauty of Spelunky and the best roguelikes: you are absolutely mastering the game and progressing even when you start at square one. The mastery in a roguelike isn't one of mastering a specific level, it's mastering the game's systems and logic. It's the same principle behind those early runs through a Souls game, in that as you learn the mechanics and rhythm, what once seemed impossible can be sprinted past and defeated with trained ease

Roguelikes and Spelunky are the same way. Except the impossible isn't a tough boss or area; it's the situations the game places you in, and then asks you to roll with the punches. Can you improvise, adapt, react your way out of a bad situation, overcome through your knowledge and understanding of the systems and mechanics?
This

Mastery of games should be about mechanics not level memorization at least for players not for professional speedruns that's different

Like how an enemy in an action game shouldn't automatically do the same routine of attacks always but should be random as to test the skill of the player

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I own the first everywhere, played it hundreds of hours, never even beat Olmec once. It's still one of my all time favorite games.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I am super excited for Spelunky 2. I never would have realized a game like Spelunky would even get a sequel because the first game, in my eyes, was a 10/10; one of the best games in the past 5 years or so.

It's going to be interesting what Mossmouth can cook up with the sequel: secret bosses, secret rooms, secret indie star characters.

Insane Dead

Oct 25, 2017
Love the first game so much I always play it on my vita. Was definitely not expecting to see this. So hyped for this game.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope he doubles down on the physics - one of the main things I loved about the first game was how problem solving was resolved within the physicality of the world - it rewarded creativity and allowed for multiple approaches. Fingers crossed for some sort of fluid dynamics, or rope physics.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
Cannot believe I have never played the original, just like stardew valley, which I have only every played for a month, this thread is going crazy over, another game, I cant wait to get my hands on, due to the excitement of ERA.

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
Wow.

I know Spelunky sold boat loads, but I legitimately never thought we'd ever see a sequel. I'm so excited!

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Hmmm i'm gonna have to get some Hell runs going, see if I still got it.

Playing Spelunky is like riding a bicycle, once you know how to play it I don't think you can ever forget completely haha. I went more than 1 year without playing twice and then got to hell on my first try. I'm not even that great at the game, I never managed to do the no-gold challenge.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Spelunky 2 will be a roguelike. That's your answer.
Thank you, it was really that simple, I only wanted an information.

For who recommended me the PC level packs: I have the PS4 version.

Yeah, I don't like Souls, I only beat Bloodborne (and didn't go that bad, beated almost all bosses at first try) and then the DLC but stopped there, I'm not the type of person that finish more time a game, I prefer to search for new experience.

I feel that roguelike becomes too repetitive too quickly, most of them relay on great mechanics but it's all about them, so I got bored really quickly without a clear progression regarding the levels, boss, etc. like any other platform/action-adventure.

It's not a metter of difficulty, it's just how designed is the game and how they can't "catch" me. Even with TBoI, I finished it one time, played another hour but didn't see the reason to go on, It wasn't fun for me.

I sure didn't want to offend anyone who liked the first one, I only exposed my feelings on Spelunky when I got asked why I didn't liked.

Ninja

Oct 28, 2017
I've never hit a preorder button that fast. At least I would have if there was one available. so bought

Deadweight

Oct 29, 2017
I am beyond hyped for this. I'm really curious about gameplay but I have full faith that Derek Yu will make another fantastic game.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Fingers crossed for some sort of fluid dynamics, or rope physics.

I really hope they don't touch or add to the physics in any way, and to be honest why would they? Things like "physics" when you go overboard with them just make the gameplay random, and that's one thing that Spelunky never had in its gameplay - randomness. When a landmine blows up a rock you can (or could) know 100% of the time which direction it's going to blast off in, and that goes for everything. The only reason Spelunky works is that while every level is random, the gameplay is completely predictable. You can't have randomness in both levels and gameplay and then still have a fun game.

A purely underwater zone, or some kind of space-like area with altered gravity could work, but I definitely wouldn't be introducing anything other than that.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the yin to your yang; I tried to get into Isaac but it didn't click. Do you have a link to anything that might help me "get" it? Maybe it would help to pass the time until Spelunky 2
I mean, they are very different in that Spelunky does level generation waaay better than Isaac, and there's also the fact that Spelunky is not stat-focused. What I like the most about Isaac is the hope of getting stronger or invincible (it's almost DBZ levels of absurdity), and not the exploration itself. It's like playing an RPG where you can break the game easily, but condensed to a 20-minutes long run.
If what you like about Spelunky is the exploration, I think you should play Catacomb Kids instead of Isaac, but if you like the secrets and unpredictability of Spelunky, then Isaac is probably just as good. What helped me get into Isaac was watching Northernlion as well as just playing it over and over.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they don't touch or add to the physics in any way, and to be honest why would they? Things like "physics" when you go overboard with them just make the gameplay random, and that's one thing that Spelunky never had in its gameplay - randomness. Wthe hen a landmine blows up a rock you can (or could) know 100% of the time which direction it's going to blast off in, and that goes for everything. The only reason Spelunky works is that while every level is random, the gameplay is completely predictable. You can't have randomness in both levels and gameplay and then still have a fun game.

A purely underwater zone, or some kind of space-like area with altered gravity could work, but I definitely wouldn't be introducing anything other than that.

It's only random if the same scenario plays out differently each time you execute it - if we're getting a new game, i'd hope for meaningful/risky changes. New tools, new environmental challenges, and new elements. Playing the first Spelunky, was about understanding the constraints of your environment and finding ways to overcome it.

Slippery

Oct 29, 2017
Some change is necessary of course, otherwise it's just Spelunky. Going to come down to what Derek Yu thinks the game needs to justify a sequel at all, and what does the fanbase want? (What he thinks they want, not what we think they want...)

Oct 25, 2017
I am super excited for Spelunky 2. I never would have realized a game like Spelunky would even get a sequel because the first game, in my eyes, was a 10/10; one of the best games in the past 5 years or so.

It's going to be interesting what Mossmouth can cook up with the sequel: secret bosses, secret rooms, secret indie star characters.
I feel the exact same. How can it be better? I can't think of a single way. But I'm willing to find out!

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
It's only random if the same scenario plays out differently each time you execute it - if we're getting a new game, i'd hope for meaningful/risky changes. New tools, new environmental challenges, and new elements. Playing the first Spelunky, was about understanding the constraints of your environment and finding ways to overcome it.

Do you have any examples of what you'd want to see? It may be that we're talking about different kinds of physics-objects!

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will hereby retire Spelunky on my PC*. So many great times, so much enjoyment. Still missing low score and co-op achievements, though, I gave up on them a long time ago. Bring on Spelunky 2!!!

Spelunky_20171031.png

* Will probably continue playing on PS4.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
Well I guess I found the game that finally gets me to stop playing Spelunky!

I have no idea what to expect or what I even want from Spelunky 2 though. I'm sure how you go about making a better Spelunky.

I have a feeling this is going to be another situation where I end up buying 3 different versions of the game too.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any examples of what you'd want to see? It may be that we're talking about different kinds of physics-objects!

I'd love to see some sort of rope swing mechanic - as for fluids, in the current Spelunky fluids disperse when you blow a hole, it would be nice to see the water collect somewhere logically. It would also be nice to see more environmental interactions (wet things freezing over if its cold enough, water turning into scalding steam etc).

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I'd love to see some sort of rope swing mechanic - as for fluids, in the current Spelunky fluids disperse when you blow a hole, it would be nice to see the water collect somewhere logically. It would also be nice to see more environmental interactions (wet things freezing over if its cold enough, water turning into scalding steam etc).

Ah, that water thing sounds fine actually, wouldn't have any issues with that and I can see how that would lead to some interesting scenarios! Especially if there was stuff that could be damaged/lost by water running away or coming into contact with it.

Not sure about rope swinging though, feels like for that to have any benefit you'd need to have levels that randomly generate to require swinging on ropes, and then if the player has no ropes when they get there they'd find themselves in impossible situations. The alternative is to have rope swinging as a mechanic without any areas that truly require it, but then what's the benefit you're gaining?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about rope swinging though, feels like for that to have any benefit you'd need to have levels that randomly generate to require swinging on ropes, and then if the player has no ropes when they get there they'd find themselves in impossible situations. The alternative is to have rope swinging as a mechanic without any areas that truly require it, but then what's the benefit you're gaining?

Or, just ensure that the ropes are part of the existing environment - they don't have to be a player resource. Anyway, these are just ideas - I'll trust Derek to do the right thing :)

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Could never get into Spelunky for some reason. Never got as far as the second area (forest-ish area?). Does it get better later? Do you get better as you play, since I'm pretty bad it.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder will we explore planets or rather some terrain in the sky like in Owlboy?

I mean, the teaser strongly suggests we're not going back under ground. And that's so cool.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised at how some people are into this announcement and I'm happy for them, but this series isn't for me. I hate games like these where your progress is lost after playing.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Never played the first one but I'm really interested in trying this one out. How does it compare to Steamworld Dig 2? I freaking loved it on Switch

Oct 26, 2017
Spelunky might be my favourite game but I think there are things that could be improved, like shopkeeper behaviour being a bit smarter against threats you had no contact with like venomous snakes or exploding frogs.

Positioning an upwards jump between two blocks was always slightly more fiddly than it needs to be too, although I never use walk mode, so that's partly my fault. Maybe smaller collision box or have jumping into the corner of a block realigning you slightly.

Last edited: