• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Almost missed this, so excited, but also really wary. Just hard for me to imagine it being worthy, or necessary. Spelunky is pretty much perfect, and one of the best games ever. Definitely gonna follow closely and biy though. Just got back into doing the dailies, so perfect timing!

Havent made it through the whole thread yet, and details at all out there yet? Or just the teaser?

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the first one but I'm really interested in trying this one out. How does it compare to Steamworld Dig 2? I freaking loved it on Switch
Steam World Dig isn't quite a good point of comparison. Steam World Dig is closer to a 2d Minecraft with a story structure. Spelunky is more straight platformer.

You should check out the first. It's never too late with a game that good.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
Almost missed this, so excited, but also really wary. Just hard for me to imagine it being worthy, or necessary. Spelunky is pretty much perfect, and one of the best games ever. Definitely gonna follow closely and biy though. Just got back into doing the dailies, so perfect timing!

my thoughts exactly.

heard the news, got very excited and then put it in perspective. its just really hard to imagine a sequel being better than the first game...

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
my thoughts exactly.

heard the news, got very excited and then put it in perspective. its just really hard to imagine a sequel being better than the first game...
I guess this is Derek's challenge. I'd like to think he wouldn't have announced a sequel if he didn't think it possible.

But yeah, Spelunky's design is insanely fine-tuned. Everything seems meticulous in its design.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is Derek's challenge. I'd like to think he wouldn't have announced a sequel if he didn't think it possible.

But yeah, Spelunky's design is insanely fine-tuned. Everything seems meticulous in its design.

That's the one thing that worries me - Spelunky was the product of years of polishing the freeware version, which went through multiple revisions and tweaking. What we saw was the result of a long ongoing conversation between a dev and his dedicated fans. Spelunky 2 will unfortunately not have that opportunity, and we'll be counting on Derek's experience to guide him through to ensure releasing another masterpiece in the vein of Spelunky.

YRPRQHk.gif

No problem and thank you Danny and team!

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Loved Spelunky, didn't expect it to ever get a 2nd game. Day 1 for sure.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's the one thing that worries me - Spelunky was the product of years of polishing the freeware version, which went through multiple revisions and tweaking. What we saw was the result of a long ongoing conversation between a dev and his dedicated fans. Spelunky 2 will unfortunately not have that opportunity, and we'll be counting on Derek's experience to guide him through to ensure releasing another masterpiece in the vein of Spelunky.
Considering his approach to game design, I'm not that worried. He wouldn't be making a sequel if he didn't feel there were substantial improvements and changes and new ideas to be done. Have you read his book about making Spelunky?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at how some people are into this announcement and I'm happy for them, but this series isn't for me. I hate games like these where your progress is lost after playing.
Progress in a (good) roguelike and especially in Spelunky is in your skill level and understanding of mechanics and systems, rather than through levels. It's not just beating your head against a wall and loosing progress; each run is a learning process that unfurls and reveals more of the possibilities and strategies for you to understand and use

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I hope whatever Derek builds, he'll plan ahead for incorporating online multiplayer. Given how often this was requested, I doubt he'll forget about it.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Well, damn. I missed this announcement somehow. Amazing news! I just have to decide if I'll bite immediately or wait for a Vita version, because Vita was just the perfect platform for the first one.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
This was the most exciting announcement of the show for me, tbh. I wasted an entire year of college playing Spelunky.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was away at the parents for the last week so slowly catching up on PGW news.
Will pick this up on PC day one and double dip for a - fingers crossed - Switch release down the line.
And hopefully a Spelunky 1 release or a double pack or something.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So I wonder if this is gonna take place in Space. Kinda feel like the trailer hinted at that.

Also I just want to say that we live in a world where Spelunky 2 is getting made. Feels good man.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

Ahh yes! Will always remember my gold key drop. I cannot count how many hours and try to reach the level where you need the golden key, was at the last level, simply need to drop to the last ledge with the door with it, but misscalculate by one step the drop, took some damage and the key freakin drop into the abyss...

Cant wait for it to be release! Will sure buy it for ps4, and eventually for Switch when its released.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
original is master class game design. i never put enough hours into it to see very far, 4th or 5th world a couple times, 20 hours or so. but i understood what it was about. the more you put in the more you got out and it was amazing and intense. i should start playing again.

Hamoody

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh yes! Will always remember my gold key drop. I cannot count how many hours and try to reach the level where you need the golden key, was at the last level, simply need to drop to the last ledge with the door with it, but misscalculate by one step the drop, took some damage and the key freakin drop into the abyss...

Cant wait for it to be release! Will sure buy it for ps4, and eventually for Switch when its released.

Yeah can't wait for it either, too much hype!

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Well, damn. I missed this announcement somehow. Amazing news! I just have to decide if I'll bite immediately or wait for a Vita version, because Vita was just the perfect platform for the first one.
Wasn't Vita among the first console platforms the original released with? I would have thought we'd know about it straight away if it was coming.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Waaait the guys who did the Doom documentary did one for Spelunky? Will definitely be watching this later :)
Yeah it was part of a series with Jonathan Blow and the guy behind Frog Fractions (name escapes me, sorry), about the art of secrets in games. Probably my favorite Danny has done so far.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Well, the good thing about game sequels is that they can build off the first game. Derek has Spelunky 1 to build upon.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I've held out on the original for awhile and grabbed it a few months ago. Its pure arcade, makes me think of Pitfall, DK jr, and, if you remember, Super Bag Man.

https://youtu.be/cdT3ICizoJ8

But I can still barely get to the jungle on a regular basis. Got to step up before this drops.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Jeez finally beat Olmec for the first time, Ive done over 600 runs this last month and finally got all the way

No way Im going for hell, played for 8 hours today headache and sore from this, but what an amazing game.

Will dive in to spelunky 2 as soon it is released. How hard is this game compared to say dark souls series? This felt so hardcore yet so fun and rewarding

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez finally beat Olmec for the first time, Ive done over 600 runs this last month and finally got all the way

No way Im going for hell, played for 8 hours today headache and sore from this, but what an amazing game.

Will dive in to spelunky 2 as soon it is released. How hard is this game compared to say dark souls series? This felt so hardcore yet so fun and rewarding
Kornheiser_Why.JPG

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
People shouldn't afraid of bumping threads, especially since there's no Spelunky OT that he could have posted in instead. The bump also made me aware of the NoClip doc, so I'm actually grateful!

In any case, congrats Surface! Beating the game more consistently will come with time and experience.

Oct 25, 2017

Congrats pal. Spelankies is the gift that keeps on giving.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I'd never beat Enter the Gungeon... yet I ended up getting the platinum. With that said I'm pretty sure I'm never beating this game. :'(

Won't stop me buying the sequel though.

OP
OP
Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

They're very different games, so it's difficult to give you an idea. It's possible to excel at one yet utterly fail to become proficient at the other. What they have in common is that they reward perseverance.