• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elem

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason it never clicked with me. I love roguelikes and my favourite is probably BoI but I don't know why I can't get into Spelunky, maybe I don't fully understand the aim the game. Am I supposed to clear the level as quickly as possible before the ghost comes? Do I have to save the girl each time?

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Is it worth it to buy it at full price on psn?, only past year I got into roguelike/Lites and they became my favorite genre.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
recently got back into playing spelunky basically every night, and i just beat yama for the first time since i did it a few years ago
my desert island game. nothing else comes close

i have no idea how derek tops it, but i cannot wait for spelunky 2

please use this thread to discuss why spelunky is the fucking greatest (ps, vita means life)

jQJ1jyFfiuR97D-fS7vph4nwsTr6xP-m20RUPIAVnIMi8KdW5-2SnJNYIvYx3Kx7tsQ1vQUrwh1EWTnmHwGBSKIKN-hfA99-lQqrDdF_ur14NlqHRGuja3XL-BWKLslzE1ViFsxgo0o=w747-h560-no
Preach!
It's one of those games that.. dare I say it... would be perfect for switch.

I love spelunky even though I'm not the best player. there's real adrenaline to getting a good run going , and none of the others rogue likes have ever grabbed me the way spelunky did. I too am looking forward to the sequel

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely is. It manages to avoid the mistakes that so many other rougelike/roguelites steps into, like Dead Cells for example.

*There's no grind, just challenge.
*All runs matters. Each of them are a valid attempt to beat the game, you don't have to repeat runs just to unlock things.
*There are items and equipment, but it doesn't rely on them. You can beat the game without using any item at all.
*There's variations on each levels, themes, instead just being repetition with slight adjustments.

Keenest

Oct 27, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Spelunky is also one of my all-time favourite games. I've never completed it, so I still have that goal to accomplish. I have it on a few platforms. I must still figure out though why Spelunky (xbox 360) does not want to work anymore. I download the Gamepass version a while back.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I like it a lot, but I suck hard at it and never felt like I was getting much better. I will buy day one if there's ever a Switch release.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Sign me up to the Spelunky fan club :)
Easily one of my favourite games of all time, perfect for when you have a bit of spare time to kill. I've come ridiculously close to killing Yama but have still never managed it, unfortunately.
I'm excited for Spelunky 2, co-op should be a riot. Hopefully not much longer to wait now!

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
I honestly feel the same way. It's just seems perfect for me more than any other game ive played.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to get into it several times. It just doesn't land with me. I feel like I must be missing something. I say this as someone who loves roguelike/lite.

Recently there's been a lot of threads about how good spelunky is. It is enough to make me want to try and get into it for a third time.

Take a break from grinding ascension levels in STS.

Can someone explain to me what is roguelike about spelunky other than the generated levels? What is the gameplay loop, what things persist between runs? Are there any skills or itemization being managed between runs?

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Personally speaking, I gravitate away from games that have time limits - as I start to panic when the Ghost comes and mess it up - but I love watching people play Spelunky. Superfast runs or slow as fuck ghosting the gems runs or eggplant runs. It is an awesome game. I should try and get over my aversion to time limits.

OP
OP
doof_warrior

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Personally speaking, I gravitate away from games that have time limits - as I start to panic when the Ghost comes and mess it up - but I love watching people play Spelunky. Superfast runs or slow as fuck ghosting the gems runs or eggplant runs. It is an awesome game. I should try and get over my aversion to time limits.
it really creates this tense balancing act haha
rush too much and you might not get enough money to buy the equipment you need, or find the items you need via exploring
take too long and a ghost comes after you really ramping up the tension
AND if you take your time, it raises your chances of getting a dark stage next. (i think if you finish a stage under 1m30s you prevent a dark stage next)

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Until the Switch Lite came out, when I was doing any sort of traveling, I was still bringing my Vita with me instead of my Switch, mainly because of Spelunky (and because the normal switch is way too bulky to be a portable for me outside of the house). The only game I consider perfect is Tetris, but this is a close second- there are little things like the damsels being helpless women by default that prevent it from being a perfect game.

i honestly am so bummed i won't be able to play 2 on vita
someone mod a joycon and put a vita dpad on it for me (in the position where the analog stick is)

I fully plan on playing Spelunky 2 via Remote play on Vita from my PS4, even if its mostly going to be me sitting in front of my TV with the Vita. Spelunky not on a Vita just feels weird to me

I really wanted to like it and enjoyed watching Giantbomb play it but I just didn't like the feel of how it controlled. Really wish I could get more into it.

The Giant Bomb videos really got me into the game. I still use Dave Lang's stupid "bat-tech" that he discovered (and failed multiple times) to kill bats in the games!

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
it really creates this tense balancing act haha
rush too much and you might not get enough money to buy the equipment you need, or find the items you need via exploring
take too long and a ghost comes after you really ramping up the tension
AND if you take your time, it raises your chances of getting a dark stage next. (i think if you finish a stage under 1m30s you prevent a dark stage next)
Yeah, I want to explore the entire level at a nice leisurely pace but Spelunky is not that game. You have to be comfortable saying, that's hopefully good enough and the shop has Bombs for sale, fingers crossed...

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Speedlunky trophy (finish the game in under 8 minutes with no shortcuts) is still one of my rarest trophies. I remember it taking me fucking forever to achieve.

And yes, Spelunky is gaming perfection. The feeling of slowly getting better and making more and more progress, until you're at the secret level and fighting the secret boss and trying your damndest not to die because it was such a pain to get there in the first place...just incredible.

OP
OP
doof_warrior

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Until the Switch Lite came out, when I was doing any sort of traveling, I was still bringing my Vita with me instead of my Switch, mainly because of Spelunky (and because the normal switch is way too bulky to be a portable for me outside of the house). The only game I consider perfect is Tetris, but this is a close second- there are little things like the damsels being helpless women by default that prevent it from being a perfect game.

I fully plan on playing Spelunky 2 via Remote play on Vita from my PS4, even if its mostly going to be me sitting in front of my TV with the Vita. Spelunky not on a Vita just feels weird to me

The Giant Bomb videos really got me into the game. I still use Dave Lang's stupid "bat-tech" that he discovered (and failed multiple times) to kill bats in the games!
i always forget about the damsels haha
i set it to the dog day 1 and never looked back

The Speedlunky trophy (finish the game in under 8 minutes with no shortcuts) is still one of my rarest trophies. I remember it taking me fucking forever to achieve.

And yes, Spelunky is gaming perfection. The feeling of slowly getting better and making more and more progress, until you're at the secret level and fighting the secret boss and trying your damndest not to die because it was such a pain to get there in the first place...just incredible.
yep
and not only all of this
but part of the reason its just SO repayable, the ultimate "just one more run", is because its honestly not that much of a time investment to do a run. i can die in the most frustrating stupid way but jump back in and try again easily because at most it'll take me 10-20 minutes to get back to where i was
but at the same time, the game NEVER feels short. even the length is perfect

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Inside joke I'm not aware of?
Not really, people expected the game to come out in 2018, but then a trailer came out that slowly revealed a 2019 releasewindow. Afaik that's the last trailer we've gotten from the game and at the end of last year Derek Yu tweeted that the game wasn't gonna make 2019. So that's where we're at right now. No one knows when it's coming.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
It is an amazing game I wish I was not so bad at it. Even so what a wonderful piece of pure fun.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
The design of the game is near perfect, but I can't help but think that getting bounced around into spikes feels fuckin bad

OP
OP
doof_warrior

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
also i feel like this is a pretty good video for anyone not sure who to get into or get better at spelunky?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I watch so many Spelunky playthroughs where the player makes massive mistakes, screws up basic tactics, leaves money on the table, takes so many unneeded hits for damage, and doesn't know a ton of basics like standard hidden item locations...but are still way better at me at completing the game, beating Yama, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised to see so many in here talking so passionately about it. I thought it was just an alright indie platformer with some bullshit sprinkled in. It failed to feel satisfying to me. The gameplay loop never sucked me in. Even my first time where I made it several levels in I was just left feeling empty. Like I accomplished nothing. Probably because I never felt as though I was learning or becoming better, rather it just felt like a matter of being patient cause instant death was always lingering. A couple of runs I was real patient, made it real far. Never turned it on again.

I've given the game countless chances but I just can't see what people have really fallen in love with here unlike other "perfect" games, Minecraft and Tetris. Games I can appreciate without playing or mastering them myself. Spelunky isn't one of them. I would take Binding of Isaac over it any day as far as the genre goes. Good for you all for finding your baby though. It's just frustrating for me because I have heard so much about this game's greatness, spent good money on it, watched others play it, played it socially and never found anything even close to gaming addiction. Just boredom.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, it's a god damn masterpiece.

Got it on Vita, PS4, and Steam. I would quadruple dip in a hot second if there was ever a Switch port.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I really like Spelunky but I would like it even more if there was a mode that lets you play at your own pace with no time limit. make it ineligible for achievements and leaderboards, I don't care.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Yah

Was so bummed when PS cancelled PAX, only because they were slated to show off Spelunky 2 again and I was really hoping for a release date :(

It's been a minute since I played it, but I'm gonna get back into it once we get a release date to warm up again. Can't wait to be a part of figuring stuff out this time, rather than just following guides.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Thought my Vita was dead for sure, but turns out the charger I was using wasn't providing enough juice. Whew! Charging now and will be giving this a go at lunch. Pretty much will be a brand-new experience for me.

OP
OP
doof_warrior

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Yah

Was so bummed when PS cancelled PAX, only because they were slated to show off Spelunky 2 again and I was really hoping for a release date :(

It's been a minute since I played it, but I'm gonna get back into it once we get a release date to warm up again. Can't wait to be a part of figuring stuff out this time, rather than just following guides.
oh man i didnt even think of this.
cuz yeah by the time i played spelunky everything was known

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason it never clicked with me. I love roguelikes and my favourite is probably BoI but I don't know why I can't get into Spelunky, maybe I don't fully understand the aim the game. Am I supposed to clear the level as quickly as possible before the ghost comes? Do I have to save the girl each time?

The overall goal is to make it through the 4 areas, each of which has 4 levels, and defeat Olmec. Along the way, you're trying to grab as much treasure as you can to get a high score...but you're really just trying to survive and make it to the end. The girl/damsels aren't necessary, but bringing them safely to an exit gets you an extra heart of life when you complete the level, which can be a big help! The Ghost arrives at 2:30 into each level, so it mostly just functions as a "you can't just spend forever wandering around the level" timer. Of course, you can avoid the Ghost, but it's perilous! :)
Can someone explain to me what is roguelike about spelunky other than the generated levels? What is the gameplay loop, what things persist between runs? Are there any skills or itemization being managed between runs?
The loop is just trying to make it from 1-1 to 4-4, collecting as much treasure as possible. Nothing persists between runs. There is a "shortcut" system, wherein you can complete a set of tasks to let you skip to each of the four main areas, right from the start...but the way Spelunky works, skipping to the Temple (the last area) is actually a rather tough way to beat the game. You don't need any of the extra items that you typically collect as you progress on each run, but they are a huge help.

The level generation is pretty much the only "roguelike" part about it. There aren't any items with random effects, or skills that you buy for later runs, or anything like that. Each run is another chance to learn how the systems of the game interact: "oh, I see now that firing the shotgun has some kickback, which dropped me off this ledge onto some spikes. I'll try to remember that next time."

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only flaw the game has is that in order to get a true high score run, you gotta wait 'til the ghost shows up and kite him over all the gems. Which is really annoying.

that's the only flaw. which doesn't matter when you play normally or speedrun thru. Close enough to perfection tbh.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
I had my first Yama kill after like 7 years , yup the game is perfect , it is almost impossible that Spelunky 2 would top this game .

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
The overall goal is to make it through the 4 areas, each of which has 4 levels, and defeat Olmec. Along the way, you're trying to grab as much treasure as you can to get a high score...but you're really just trying to survive and make it to the end. The girl/damsels aren't necessary, but bringing them safely to an exit gets you an extra heart of life when you complete the level, which can be a big help! The Ghost arrives at 2:30 into each level, so it mostly just functions as a "you can't just spend forever wandering around the level" timer. Of course, you can avoid the Ghost, but it's perilous! :)

The loop is just trying to make it from 1-1 to 4-4, collecting as much treasure as possible. Nothing persists between runs. There is a "shortcut" system, wherein you can complete a set of tasks to let you skip to each of the four main areas, right from the start...but the way Spelunky works, skipping to the Temple (the last area) is actually a rather tough way to beat the game. You don't need any of the extra items that you typically collect as you progress on each run, but they are a huge help.

The level generation is pretty much the only "roguelike" part about it. There aren't any items with random effects, or skills that you buy for later runs, or anything like that. Each run is another chance to learn how the systems of the game interact: "oh, I see now that firing the shotgun has some kickback, which dropped me off this ledge onto some spikes. I'll try to remember that next time."
Things persisting between runs isn't even really a traditional roguelike thing. It's nice that with spelunky your first attempt, practice aside,has the same odds of reaching the end.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Man had 8 ropes on him and he does that? He deserved everything he got :)

yep jumping down blindly is how you shouldn't play Spelunky. I agree OP, this game is one of the few i consider perfect and cannot find any flaws. I have over 150 hours on xbox 360 version, 100%'d it, many speedruns etc. Never gets old.

Kalamoj

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I gave it like 3 or 4 shots, played it after different games, longer and shorter sessions cause it regularly comes up as a great game. I was bored as hell.
I guess it's not for me.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I would happily call Spelunky (HD) the best game ever, yeah. I would even call it "perfect." I know there's a lot of ways you can define "perfect," and a lot of things "perfect" can be, but for me I feel like any criticism I've ever read of any mechanic in the game can be argued against. There's nothing in the game that isn't important and that doesn't improve it somehow - even the stuff that feels like it wouldn't. Like, someone complained about the time limit but if you remove that, the rest of the game breaks down. Everything complements everything else, everything exists for the benefit of everything else. That, to me, makes it perfect.

I've been playing it for like eight years or something and I still turn it on almost every day.