• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 6, Gears and Forza Horizon 4 on PS4?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Just put Rare's old games on Switch. And Banjo & Kazooie in Smash Bros. Don't care about Halo or Forza at this point.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
This is never going to happen, and that's coming from an avid Switch fan. I cant believe some of these posts, haha.

This. People think he's referring to games like Halo, if that was even his quote since it seems to be taken out of context? Minecraft is understandable as it was multiplat before the acquisition and it prints hundreds of millions of dollars for them.

Wishful thinking, for than anything. It just seems to make sense to me. Nintendo and MS have been playing nice of late and could both benefit from such a partnership.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought it, but maybe their is truth to the rumor that MS is looking to get away from the hardware business. Yes, even with Scorpio launching tomorrow. It'd be a damn shame I can tell you.

Oct 27, 2017
I am not a fan of Microsoft essentially making the Xbox entirely redundant (like, if this happened, what would even be the point of the console at all?), but on the other hand, I don't own an Xbox, and don't feel like buying it for the handful of games that do interest me, so... sure, go ahead. Put them on PS4 or Switch.

Because (I think) it expands Xbox as a brand. Think Office on Mac/iOS/Android. Sure, they would love to have you buying Windows and Office, but they are also happy to take your money even if just for a license to one of their many products.

Also, having their console gives you the full "Xbox Experience": Xbox Live, GwG, actual good sales, etc.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft should just abandon the console market. Work with Sony, and Nintendo to bring XBL to those platforms, and license their games to them like Halo, Gears and Minecraft. Seems like it would be a win-win-win.

Oh and MS should make the controllers for PS too.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is never going to happen, and that's coming from an avid Switch fan. I cant believe some of these posts, haha.

There is far more of a chance of MS porting their big games to Switch than to PS4 by the simple fact Nintendo doesn't seem to mind XBL connectivity. Does this mean OMG Halo 5 on Switch OMG, no but I could easily see Rare games getting ported, even something like Killer Instinct.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have Minecraft on every device available and also have mobile titles (Wordament comes to mind) across the entire Android & iOS spectrum as well.

Selling consoles isn't where their money is, the core cash from the division probably comes from licensing and reoccurring service purchases (XBL Gold) as soon as they resolve how to push those services outside their own ecosystem they would probably be more than happy to get rid of the overhead associated with putting a set top box into retail establishments.

If they could get XBox built into an app for TVs/Mobile or even currently competing HW platforms I'm sure they would jump onto the opportunity.

Oct 26, 2017
viva_pinata__trouble_in_paradise_switch_boxart_by_goldmetalsonic-daw1dmp.png

Do it.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because (I think) it expands Xbox as a brand. Think Office on Mac/iOS/Android. Sure, they would love to have you buying Windows and Office, but they are also happy to take your money even if just for a license to one of their many products.

Also, having their console gives you the full "Xbox Experience": Xbox Live, GwG, actual good sales, etc.
Right, but this exact strategy was attempted with Windows Phone, and look at what came of it.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft should just abandon the console market. Work with Sony, and Nintendo to bring XBL to those platforms, and license their games to them like Halo, Gears and Minecraft. Seems like it would be a win-win-win.

I mean, Sony kinda does need some competitor going against them.

Admittably, M$ isn't doing an outstanding job at that...

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017

This would never work you are thinking Sony would give up PSN for XBL to be the mainstay that would never happen ever.

Oct 27, 2017

There's too much money in having a box that gives you a constant stream of revenue from transactions to give it up. Selling software isn't gonna cover that.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this could be beneficial for them. With Minecraft it makes sense since it's a massive franchise. But outside of that they don't have any other ips that are anywhere close to that size. And they dont even publish enough games for thier own system, much less for other platforms. Also isn't there biggest revenue stream from stuff like XBL, and the cut they get from game sales and microtransactiona? Both of which they wouldn't be able to utilize on other platforms.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I know he's probably referring to stuff like Minecraft and smaller live service titles but I can't see this strategy working out well for Xbox if they went with any of their bigger titles, even as an experiment.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I never thought it, but maybe their is truth to the rumor that MS is looking to get away from the hardware business. Yes, even with Scorpio launching tomorrow. It'd be a damn shame I can tell you.
This generation in particular I think MS has come into their own when it comes to hardware. The S and X consoles and their controller (the regular and the Elite) are amazingly designed and engineered. I doubt they'll leave the hardware business, but maybe it's a shift towards having their software and services on many devices while offering their own premium hardware for those who want it.

I am not a fan of Microsoft essentially making the Xbox entirely redundant (like, if this happened, what would even be the point of the console at all?), but on the other hand, I don't own an Xbox, and don't feel like buying it for the handful of games that do interest me, so... sure, go ahead. Put them on PS4 or Switch.
TBH, outside of Nintendo exclusives don't sell consoles like that anymore. Sony doesn't just make games to sell their consoles, they make games because they are a publisher, they make money, the games themselves are profitable on sales alone and they own the platform they make them for. With MS going all in on GaaS, it benefits them to make games for any platform that allows cross play.
again, this is the guy who says Excluives is bad and they then proceed to lock up PUBG. okay Phil. sure.
Only the unfinished product is exclusive, when it officially releases, it'll be available for PS4

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If their goal is to grow metrics then they benefit from being as many places as possible. If you want more people playing Halo every month, then you need to be on all platforms.

The problem with this is that would Sony (or Nintendo) allow you to sign in to Xbox Live on their platform as things stand now. On the one hand I'd argue no; on the other you kinda already sign in to UPlay or Origin each time you play a Ubisoft or EA game respectively.

It's interesting stuff.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TBH, outside of Nintendo exclusives don't sell consoles like that anymore. Sony doesn't just make games to sell their consoles, they make games because they are a publisher, they make money, the games themselves are profitable on sales alone and they own the platform they make them for. With MS going all in on GaaS, it benefits them to make games for any platform that allows cross play.
That doesn't make sense, exclusives are differentiators, and while individual exclusives (outside of Nintendo's) might not sell systems any more, you can bet that cumulatively, they absolutely do. NieR, Persona, Nioh, Bloodborne, and Horizon by themselves might not be enough to make anyone choose PS4 over Xbox, but collectively, that's five games you can get on PS4 but not on Xbox, and you bet that that factors into someone's decision making when they are choosing which of the two to buy (assuming the games interest them, at least marginally).

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
It sounds more like a journalist making severe assumptions, than any real answer.

In any case, they'll never compromise their big series (the three of them) beyond the Xbox/Windows umbrella, and the rest wouldn't do much business outside of it, as is already happening in their common ecosystem.

Whatever step they take, it will only come to work out if they're patient and insist for years.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I think over the next couple of years we will see Xbox (MS gaming) expand in two ways, one through Xbox live on mobile and the other being through a larger third party segment of their business. I could see them doing more third party publishing for indie developers and larger independent studios on other platforms, but I do wonder if they would do that considering it could hurt there partners like 505 and Devolver Digital. Currently Xbox third party wise licenses Havok and simplygon, manages Minecraft and in the past has developed games for platforms it doesn't see as direct competitors (DS.) It looked liked they would be going this way for a while now, I could even see them developing or publishing in genres that would previously not have been viable on Xbox through publishing these games on other platforms. This would allow them to build an audience in a way that would be viable for them, for example a blue dragon game for switch that would also be available on Xbox.

Last edited:

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
First thought that comes to my mind is that I think they want to do a more closely linked deal for PUBG, but the dev almost certainly wants to release on PS4 too, so they might do a thing where MS publish the title on PS4.

I wonder to what extent Sony will allow games with Xbox Live integration on PS4. They rejected the Minecraft update, right?

Sony allows EA and Ubisoft to connect to their own networks. If MS because a 3rd Party publisher on PS they would probably get some leeway on that. I mean hell my PSN id is linked to my steam id from that short initiative. The rejections right now stem more from the competing console.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop thinking of Xbox as a box/console or the success of Xbox being tied to a box/console. (Granted the console side is their biggest money maker, but the present and future direction of the segment is to expand outside of that further)

Xbox is now about the gaming software and services that can be accessed on a multitude of devices.

The Xbox One is just one entry point into the ecosystem. As is Windows 10. As is Mobile etc...
You must admit in the Xbox 360 era this is almost impossible to happen. Funny isn't?
But I hope Microsoft don't push the requirement of using a xbox live account to ps4/swicht.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess a fun question to consider would be if a title requiring XBL Gold to play on PS4 would fall under the subscription based loophole making it not require PS+ for online play.

Oct 26, 2017
I could see MS porting a lot of games to Switch especially if Nintendo doesn't care about XBL connectivity.

Evidence shows they're 100% okay with it as Minecraft Switch will require it once the Better Together update launches on it. Nintendo and MS could have a goldmine of a partnership if they want to, most specifically with Rare's IPs and likely their JP IPs (Blue Dragon, Blinx, etc), but could you imagine if Halo was ever greenlit for Switch? Ooooooh boy! O_o

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It would make sense to me for Microsoft publishing stuff on Switch than on any Playstation. I think Switch is less direct competition to Microsoft than Steam and they already publish games there so I guess it could happen. If I were Microsoft I would grant Nintendo permission to use Rare IP's on a hypotetical N64 mini (not for free of course, in exchange of a percentage of the profit) and even ask Nintendo to develop a new Banjo, Conker or Perfect Dark game. Microsoft would get a cut (similar to developing a game with Marvel IP for example) and see the value of their old Rare IP's increase as they gain popularity once again. Nintendo would get the possibility of giving the fans the N64 mini they really want and also contenting their fanbase with new games of much beloved franchises. Besides increasing the variety of Nintendo's catalogue. Win-win scenario IMO. Microsoft could also publish some games on Switch like Ori or Cuphead or even extend their services to Switch with an app "like Netflix" that would require xbox live subscription of course.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see things like halo gears Forza etc going anywhere else. But a game like Sea of Thieves in the end may benefit from being everywhere. If it explodes on the Xbox and PC and is a huge mmo like shared world game, it'd be enticing to have those microtransactions from everything. Mobile other consoles etc

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I couldn't tell you about competitor consoles, but Microsoft could definitely have a larger presence on iOS and Android. They have a few titles like Wordament, full priced Halo titles, and Age of Empires on mobile but I think an F2P Halo game before the launch of Halo 6 could be pretty cool.

Draft some mobile titles out of the old IP collection. Imagine Viva Pinata on mobile!

I can only think of releasing games on competing consoles if the games themselves are platforms i.e. Minecraft.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
You must admit in the Xbox 360 era this is almost impossible to happen. Funny isn't?
But I hope Microsoft don't push the requirement of using a xbox live account to ps4/swicht.

Of course they will Origin Ubi do it all MS won't be any different if they do that but I don't see this being a thing for a decade or two if it even happens

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question.

Do you ever see a series like Halo/Forza/Gears on a PlayStation system? Or would that be something too extreme for MS?

I don't think that it would be too extreme for MS, remember, this is a company that releases Microsoft Office on MacOS and Microsoft Outlook on Android and iOS. It's just a different mindset for videogames, which we're all used to the tribalistic history of consoles, where specific consoles get specific games from specific publishers. This is a relic of 1983, the ecosystem that Nintendo pioneered and made the standard, but it might not necessarily have to be like that for ever.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
If copping a Play Anywhere version of a first party Xbox game simultaneously gets me Nintendo and Sony console copies in the future... phew.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I could see them cozying up to Nintendo with their smaller published games like Ori, Recore and Cuphead arriving on the Switch for the holiday 2018 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.