• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Austin and San Antonio to be precise.

My wife and I have never been and we're looking for things we can do.

We love food, beer, coffee as well as art, museums, and hiking.

Can Texas-Era provide some suggestions?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Austin is nice. A lot of great places to listen to live music, eat tacos, and drink bourbon. 😉

SA has the famous River Walk. So many excellent restaurants there. And there's Pearl Field with its venues.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
If you haven't had Texas BBQ, yes there is Franklin's but it's a 4 hour wait. There are other places of similar quality like brothertons black iron bbq in pflugerville and others. Keep in mind market style by the pound bbq sells out and closes in the early afternoon.

Beer wise, as a former drinker I'd check jester king as it's pretty good, wide selection, and naturey. I stopped drinking before the supernatural Dean's family business opened probably good.

It's kind if too fucking hot for hiking, maybe mount bonnell before 8am.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The best restaurant I've ever eaten at in my entire life is in San Antonio. It's called Battalion and it's about a mile from the Riverwalk.

Amazing food. Amazing service. Amazing atmosphere. Decent prices. Was only $110 for the wife and myself, and that was with the $40 bottle of wine.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously though, River Walk is so great. Touristy? Sure? But it's a public gem of a space.

Game2Death

Oct 25, 2017
Currently living in Austin.

If you want to check out the bar districts there are a bunch. Rainy Street (my favorite), West Sixth Street, Dirty Sixth Street, East Sixth Street, Rock Rose Domain.

Hiking and outdoor things, the Greenbelt is really cool. Miles and miles of hiking and you can bring canned beer and swim in the rivers. Barton Springs is a nice cold nature springs you can swim in. Kayaking/Paddle Boarding on Lady Bird Lake is is also nice.

Food is everywhere, north/south/east/west. Can't go wrong.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
UnBarlievable is a fucking shit show. Fuck that place.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Drive to Gruene (pronounced Green) which is between San Antonio and Austin. It's a cool place to walk around, you can hop into the oldest honkey tonk in Texas, and if you are wanting to kill the better part of a day, charter a ride up the Guadalupe River to go tubing. It's a slice of Texas that you wouldn't get elsewhere and can be a really cool, relaxing time.

In San Antonio check out the old Spanish missions. The Alamo is surprisingly good despite being in the heart of tourist town but some of the missions just outside downtown are even cooler.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
Austin there's a lot to list but as far as beer.

Jester King is a drive but worth it.

Easy Tiger (6th Street) is always great and has a bakeshop for some awesome bread.

Austin Beerworks, Circle Brewing, Oskar Blues, 4th Tap, Adelberts, Celis, and Fairweather Cider are all within a mile and a half of each other up north off of 183 and burnetish and you can Uber / Lyft to go between them if you want to make a day of it.

Coffee

I like Cuvée downtown. People go nuts for Houndstooth but I think they're pretentious. Figure 8 is consistently awesome and they're near Cuvée. Fleet is further out from downtown and tiny but awesome.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
If you want to see some mildly white washed history of texas the Bob Bullock museum was updated recently. Probably about an hour.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
BTW dude, if you come across a hidden gem in Austin, TELL ONLY A SELECT GROUP OF PEOPLE, AT BEST.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Also rent a scooter and play bumpascooters with fellow tourists on state capital grounds. You may make friends with frodo.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Antonio - Definitely the riverwalk. Beautiful place with lots of shops, restaurants, close to museums and other tourist attractions.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
For Austin: Ramen Tatsuya, Home Slice Pizza, if you're feeling fancy and money to blow through, try Uchi. Then there is Franklins BBQ (La Barbecue is an acceptable alternative), Jester King Brewery (tho its too hot for that), Alamo Drafthouse (South Lamar location is the flagship), Green Belt for hiking, Pinballz for a BYOB arcade, kayaking the Colorado River near downtown. Avoid 6th street. Or go. But know it'll be kinda out of control.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's hot down here just FYI. Bring shorts and t shirts. Hit up the river walk in San Antonio. Eat some breakfast tacos. Check out the bats on congress street bridge at dusk in Austin. There ya go.
For Austin: Ramen Tatsuya, Home Slice Pizza, if you're feeling fancy and money to blow through, try Uchi. Then there is Franklins BBQ (La Barbecue is an acceptable alternative), Jester King Brewery (tho its too hot for that), Alamo Drafthouse (South Lamar location is the flagship), Green Belt for hiking, Pinballz for a BYOB arcade, kayaking the Colorado River near downtown. Avoid 6th street. Or go. But know it'll be kinda out of control.
These are all great suggestions.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm a photographer so I enjoy pretty outdoorsy/photogenic places as well. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

I'm coming from Tucson 😉
In that case, McKinney Falls State Park is south east Austin. It's where pieces of Alita, Predators, and Boyhood were filmed. Guadalupe River State Park is nice as well. Redbud Isle is super chill, but best experienced with a dog. It's super touristy, but seeing that bats come out on the South Congress bridge could be a good photography experience as well. I have a bias, but the Central Library is pretty photogenic. It is on Time's Top 100 places to visit .

Oct 28, 2017

I'm a photographer so I enjoy pretty outdoorsy/photogenic places as well. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

I'm coming from Tucson 😉

The Barton Creek Greenbelt is probably the best hike nearby Austin. I love hiking and it's my go-to if I want to see something nice. Just keep your expectations straight - Central Texas hiking is not great by any stretch of the imagination. Park at the Mo-Pac/360 trailhead and then go West. If you go Northeast instead, you'll encounter more people and eventually hit Barton Springs, which is a cool "pool" made out of a local spring, but I think for hiking that's not the way to go. Keep in mind this trail gets REALLY crowded in the summer since there's good swimming (wear a swimsuit if you like), so I usually go in the morning to have a more solitary experience.

Other hiking nearby includes McKinney Falls, which might be worth it if you really want to hike, McKinney Roughs, which I don't find to be particularly impressive, and Perdenales Falls, which has like one cool thing and probably isn't worth it.

For beer, Jester King is a great suggestion. They've got a little pizza place as well which is really good. You could probably do some interesting photography there as well since it's out in the hillcountry and is a working farm. Easy Tiger downtown is a cool spot as well. Austin has tons of local breweries and I've been too many of them, and I'd say Jester King is definitely best.

For BBQ, skip Franklins and La Barbecue. They are really good and arguably the best in Texas, but they also have gigantic lines and aren't worth it. You should go to Terry Black's BBQ in Austin, which I think is just about as good and rarely has a line, or maybe stop by Cooper's on your way to San Antonio in New Braunfels (which is an old German town that is also kinda interesting if you're into that). In San Antonio, I've heard good things about 2M Smokehouse but they were closed when I tried to go there. I went to the second best San Antonio place, supposedly, and it was awful, so I'd say to do the BBQ in one of the three I mentioned.

For Tex Mex, you want to try El Dorado or Matt's El Rancho in Austin. El Dorado isn't really Tex Mex but more of new age American/Mexican fusion. It's really, really good. Like truly excellent. You should go out of your way to go to El Dorado. El Rancho, on the other hand, is traditional Tex-Mex that I think is really good. Get the Steak Tampiquena for the best steak in Austin (Austin's steak houses suck from the ones I've been to). If you want Tex-Mex in San Antonio, you want Mi Tierra.

For art, you want to do the Blanton Museum of Art on UT campus. I don't like art, but people who do tend to love it. Right across the street is the Bob Bullock Museum, which is a Texas history museum. It's all within walking distance of the Texas Capitol, which has free tours. Austin doesn't have any really great museums -- you gotta go to Houston for that.

When you drive to San Antonio, stop at Buccee's in New Braunfels. It's just a gas station, but it's worth it. Out of town people are always amazed and amused.

In Austin, there's this awesome restaurant at 45th and Lamar. Great Skillet Quesos and Margaritas.

LOL.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Franklins bbq at least used(moved years ago) to let you drink while you wait in line outside so it was fun to get day drunk before 11 with friends

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Austin is all about our tacos, so you have to go to Taco Deli, Torchys, Veracruz etc and pledge your allegiance.

Lots of good ramen places. Ramen Tatsuya or Jinya are great. Peaches Tortilla is Asian bbq fusion and it's amazing. Obviously all the conventional bbq as well.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
SA resident here. Lots of good place to eat, but SA is much more sprawled out compared to Austin. Depending on where you're staying you'll def need to uber around a lot. The riverwalk is cool if you haven't seen it, but it's very touristy and locals tend to avoid the downtown part of it. The part of the riverwalk that stretches north up by the Pearl is great though as it's calm and more like a city park than the crush of ppl that the downtown section is. Same goes for the museum reach section that goes down by King William. Those sections are great to walk, esp after a large meal!

Random food recs:
Clementine
Gwendolyn
Bliss
Supper
Feast
Cured
Liberty Bar
Madhatters

Drinks:
Esquire Tavern
The Luxury
Cullum's Attagirl
Friendly Spot
The Modernist
Still Golden
Southerleigh

Check them out on Yelp/TA and see what catches your attention. IMO the best restaurant in SA at the moment is Clementine over in Castle Hills which is about 10 mi north of downtown SA. Since you like good food and beer, I'd recommend lunch/brunch at Cullum's Attagirl over on North St Mary's. It's a tiny little ice house that has a rotating craft beer tap, and IMO the best fried chicken wings in SA. They also do smoked wings which are often adventurous (think smoked pbj, figs, garlic/rosemary, etc. changes daily). It's def not a fancy place though, but it's laid back and friendly.

By far the best BBQ in SA is 2M Smokehouse which is way on the south side. It's probably the only SA joint that comes close to Franklin/La Barbecue in Austin. I also like Granary which is at the Pearl, but it's a bit polarizing among my friends.

The best coffee in SA is Local Coffee (multiple locations). They roast their own beans (under the Merit label) and they're excellent.

In general, Austin is a much more happening city. They win on night life and probably food also, though I find Austin to be a bit crowded, and a bit too full of itself sometimes. SA is def a more laid back. I like that on avg it's easier to get a table at a nice place in SA than it is in Austin. I also second most if not all of the Austin recs other people have mentioned in this thread.

el
The best restaurant I've ever eaten at in my entire life is in San Antonio. It's called Battalion and it's about a mile from the Riverwalk.

Amazing food. Amazing service. Amazing atmosphere. Decent prices. Was only $110 for the wife and myself, and that was with the $40 bottle of wine.

Interesting. I've been to Battalion twice and both times found it super underwhelming. Both times were when they were relatively new so maybe it was just growing pains. I also went with a group of friends who have a tendency to be food snobs (myself included lol) so I'll have to give it another try. The same folks who own Battalion also run Feast over in King William, and I'm a big fan of that place.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Franklins bbq at least used(moved years ago) to let you drink while you wait in line outside so it was fun to get day drunk before 11 with friends
A few years ago at a job I used to be at, we had a sprint planning meeting for work while standing in line at Franklins. We brought a cooler of beer too.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
SA resident here. Lots of good place to eat, but SA is much more sprawled out compared to Austin. Depending on where you're staying you'll def need to uber around a lot. The riverwalk is cool if you haven't seen it, but it's very touristy and locals tend to avoid the downtown part of it. The part of the riverwalk that stretches north up by the Pearl is great though as it's calm and more like a city park than the crush of ppl that the downtown section is. Same goes for the museum reach section that goes down by King William. Those sections are great to walk, esp after a large meal!

Random food recs:
Clementine
Gwendolyn
Bliss
Supper
Feast
Cured
Liberty Bar
Madhatters

Drinks:
Esquire Tavern
The Luxury
Cullum's Attagirl
Friendly Spot
The Modernist
Still Golden
Southerleigh

Check them out on Yelp/TA and see what catches your attention. IMO the best restaurant in SA at the moment is Clementine over in Castle Hills which is about 10 mi north of downtown SA. Since you like good food and beer, I'd recommend lunch/brunch at Cullum's Attagirl over on North St Mary's. It's a tiny little ice house that has a rotating craft beer tap, and IMO the best fried chicken wings in SA. They also do smoked wings which are often adventurous (think smoked pbj, figs, garlic/rosemary, etc. changes daily). It's def not a fancy place though, but it's laid back and friendly.

By far the best BBQ in SA is 2M Smokehouse which is way on the south side. It's probably the only SA joint that comes close to Franklin/La Barbecue in Austin. I also like Granary which is at the Pearl, but it's a bit polarizing among my friends.

The best coffee in SA is Local Coffee (multiple locations). They roast their own beans (under the Merit label) and they're excellent.

In general, Austin is a much more happening city. They win on night life and probably food also, though I find Austin to be a bit crowded, and a bit too full of itself sometimes. SA is def a more laid back. I like that on avg it's easier to get a table at a nice place in SA than it is in Austin. I also second most if not all of the Austin recs other people have mentioned in this thread.

Interesting. I've been to Battalion twice and both times found it super underwhelming. Both times were when they were relatively new so maybe it was just growing pains. I also went with a group of friends who have a tendency to be food snobs (myself included lol) so I'll have to give it another try. The same folks who own Battalion also run Feast over in King William, and I'm a big fan of that place.
Do try it again. I highly recommend the pork loin

Nov 1, 2017

Random food recs:
Clementine
Gwendolyn
Bliss
Supper
Feast
Cured
Liberty Bar
Madhatters

Drinks:
Esquire Tavern
The Luxury
Cullum's Attagirl
Friendly Spot
The Modernist
Still Golden
Southerleigh

-snip-

In general, Austin is a much more happening city. They win on night life and probably food also, though I find Austin to be a bit crowded, and a bit too full of itself sometimes. SA is def a more laid back.

-snip-

Didn't need the entire quote.

Cured is an amazing restaurant. I can not recommend the food enough. The wait and bar staff were both phenomenal.

The Esquire Tavern is absolutely worth spending an hour or so relaxing but my advice is to Google their info and reserve a booth otherwise you'll never find a seat. And it's on the Riverwalk.

Howl at the Moon - Dueling Piano Bar can also be a lot of fun depending on the night. The entertainment and the crowd together can make for an amazing evening.

I used to live in San Antonio (now Waco) and I've been to Austin several times and I have to agree with h1nch's assessment. Austin is by far the better scene for nightlife.

My two recommendations for bars/pubs there would be Darwin's Pub or The Container.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
The fact that I knew the 45th and lamar reference right away makes me an honorary Austinite right?!

Also I used to live there...

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

I'm coming from Tucson 😉

For pictures:
Congress street
Capital building, bring wide angle or fish eye lens
Mount Bonnell
The oasis
There's a spot near the 360 bridge
Hamilton pool
Go to the Congress bridge 30 minutes before sunset, nearly 2 million bats will fly out.

You're late for wildflowers but late March to early April basically anywhere with bluebonnets

Fucking auto fail spell

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
We don't leave until next week 🤗. I'm still open to suggestions! We've been making a list of places that have been mentioned here :)

Where have you been so far? Also, I know you're from Arizona, what do you think about the comparisons?

And yes, I (finally) lived in Austin for a little bit earlier this year, but not for too long. I adored it, but man it's a competitive job market.