• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anybody here who works in construction know anything about this topic?

I was ripping up carpet in my bedroom so I could put down laminate. The carpet was glued down to an old tile floor that was breaking up as the carpet was pulled up, so we ripped that up too. Today we were taking all this to the dump and my Dad sees it and tells me it's asbestos tile. Great. Just fucking great.

We were breathing in the dust for two, maybe three hours. I know it's too late to do anything about it now but yeah, how fucked am I?

P.S. I'm already ready for all the Kenshiro memes.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody here who works in construction know anything about this topic?

I was ripping up carpet in my bedroom so I could put down laminate. The carpet was glued down to an old tile floor that was breaking up as the carpet was pulled up, so we ripped that up too. Today we were taking all this to the dump and my Dad sees it and tells me it's asbestos tile. Great. Just fucking great.

We were breathing in the dust for two, maybe three hours. I know it's too late to do anything about it now but yeah, how fucked am I?

P.S. I'm already ready for all the Kenshiro memes.

According to this site it depends how damaged the tiles were. If they were being shredded/torn up then it might be an issue, but if they were coming out intact you should be fine, based on what the site says:
https://ehs.oregonstate.edu/asb-when

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'd go to a doctor. Perhaps there's a way to clear out lungs or something shortly after exposure, but then again I don't know shit on account of not being doctor.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I don't think it matters all that much -- long-term exposure is the risk, not breathing minimal amount of asbestos.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
I'm no asbestos doctor, but you would need prolonged exposure to absestos fibers before you develop asbestosis, which can take years for symptoms to show up after said exposure.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Serious illnesses relating to asbestos really only occur after long-term exposure to it as far as I know. One hit of it, even for a few hours, shouldn't cause you any major issues if you're otherwise a healthy person. Your lungs do have the ability to clear themselves out.

But it ain't good for you! I wouldn't worry but if you wake up with a cough and a scratchy throat, or even just for peace of mind, might be best to see a GP. That's not to say anything would be seriously wrong, but being told by a Doctor that you'll be okay can put your mind at ease. And if something was wrong, you'd be on top of it.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
If you want peace of mind than you should at least contact your personal doctor and see what they think but I'm reckoning they will tell you you're fine unless you have any issues breathing. Risks from asbestos exposure usually occur over a long term. Wear a mask next time!

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
PSA:

Whenever you demo anything, WEAR A MASK!!!

Things are designed to be put together, not be taken apart. You have no idea what you expose yourself to when doing demolitions.

OP
OP
Maligna

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm pretty sure that isn't true. I don't think problems require long term exposure.

Over two hours of exposure? lol

You're fine, OP. Asbestosis takes literally years, sometimes decades to become a thing. It's not something you can suffer from after an afternoon of exposure.

Besides, the doctor wouldn't be able to detect anything wrong with you anyway.

Conflicting reports. Don't know who to believe. Ah!

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Conflicting reports. Don't know who to believe. Ah!

If I recall, the risk has more to do with the type of asbestos that was in the flooring, due to the structure of the fiber. The most commonly used is most dangerous after long term exposure. Other types can be dangerous after a short exposure. But you most likely were exposed to the former, meaning you're probably okay.

OP
OP
Maligna

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, that seems like the kind of answer a doctor could give.

Instead of, 'pretty sure'.

Found this on a medical forum:
Unfortunately if someone thinks they have come into contact with asbestos there isn't any known actions or medication that can be prescribed to take away any particles inhaled, and no test available to detect the presence of asbestos in the body. Therefore a visit to the GP in this instance would be of no benefit I'm afraid.

I doubt two hours would do much harm

If you're alive now, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cancer due to asbest-exposure takes decades (ca. 15-40 years).

But, as OP describes it, if it were "only" a few hours on a single occasion, the chance of cancer due to the asbest is very slim.
You'd need a permanent exposure over some time (literature says 1-2 years) to be in real danger of getting mesotheliomas or asbestosis.
If OP is a smoker or drinker, the chance is higher that he probably dies of that. Or because he got hit by a car.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
That sounds like a doctor's worst nightmare.
There are some nurse call services for minor issues.

My mother works as one and basically gets calls from people on issues. Severe ones they have to call 911, but a lot of stuff is just "put some itch cream in it, put a bandaid in it, might just be gas, etc."

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I love these "I have a very serious medical question" threads on a video game fourm. Go to the doctor immediately dude, it usually takes long term exposure but you need to get checked

OP
OP
Maligna

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lol I love these "I have a very serious medical question" threads on a video game fourm. Go to the doctor immediately dude, it usually takes long term exposure but you need to get checked

Sometimes you just gotta talk about it to see if anyone with experience can help ease your mind. You can't see your doctor at the drop of a hat.

After reading the posts here in a little less freaked out. But I'll definitely mention it to my doctor.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Asbestos issues stem from long term exposure to the dust and powder.

so unless you snorted asbestos dust, you should be fine as long as you don't continue to breath it in

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that seems like the kind of answer a doctor could give.

Instead of, 'pretty sure'.

Well, it doesn't take a doctor to understand what asbestos is.. which is fibrous crystals and the fibrils aren't coming out from inside you with some pill or exercise or some shit.

You'll be fine, don't waste a co-pay going to the doctor. There ain't shit they are going to do.. and wear a damn mask next time and learn what the fuck you are demoing before demoing.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Look on the bright side. Now you'll be able to join one of those mesothelioma class action lawsuits they've been advertising for on TV for the last 15 years.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Did the same years ago and zero problems so far. Didn't have a mask so tried to hold my breath when handling that shit.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CuGtC0Y.jpg

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Bad news, OP, you're gonna die. Probably in 30-40 years though because your exposure has been so limited

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good lesson to always wear a mask. It's just ridiculous what people do without a mask.