• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

Spider-Man 2 developer discusses balancing sequel's darker tone

Chatting to Insomniac Games' Bryan Intihar and Ryan Smith about everything Spider-Man 2.

"Whether it's Kraven - which we confirmed in the beginning of the sequence - and obviously, we showed Venom when we first announced the game and now with the Symbiote and Pete being bonded with the Symbiote, there's naturally going to be some darker elements to the story," Intihar says. "That's just being respectful to those characters, and what they bring to the overall experience."

But this doesn't mean we will have to spend the entire game with a moody, bristling Peter Parker. Despite seeing a darker side to Peter in the gameplayer trailer - something that can be attributed to his new Symbiote suit - Insomniac says we should still expect to see plenty of the charm its studio is known for, as well as the human stories of the people behind their superhero masks.

"What we've talked a lot about is - whether it was Marvel's Spider Man or Miles Morales - our games are all about still having heart and humour," Intihar says. "It's really finding that balance between those darker themes and characters, but also delivering that very human story where there's a lot of heart and humour... I think that's what was tricky. But I do think we found that nice balance at the end of the day."

When Peter gets bonded with the Symbiote, it's not a joke. "It's not something we want to make fun of," the director stresses. "Yuri will forever be my Peter Parker, you know. When I hear Spider-Man, I hear his voice. That's how well he does as Peter. So I think it can be pretty jarring to hear him talk like that, like he does in the gameplay reveal.

"So, it's about really playing into those themes of addiction, how that can impact someone's personality, impact the people around them, and you're going to see that it's not just how it's impacting Peter on his own, but also those close to him. You're going to see that play out throughout the game."

A lot more in the interview, regarding gameplay, the graphics and polish the game will have, etc etc

Can't wait for Spidey!

OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
btw there's another part of the interview talked about in this other thread
www.resetera.com

[Eurogamer] Here's how character switching in Spider-Man 2 works

"When you're playing the main story, we control when you switch between Pete and Miles... it's done in service to the story when we're making those switches, for sure," Spider-Man 2's creative director Bryan Intihar told Eurogamer in an exclusive interview. "So, as you saw on that gameplay...

Regarding Spider-Cop

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
At least they heard the feedback.

Marvel's Spider-Man prompted discourse around the game's 'pro-cop' movement. "You know, obviously that wasn't our intent," Intihar says of the discussion it raised. "I think, just going forward, we think about things."

Another talking point was the game's use of Surveillance Towers to unfog its map. "They're not towers in this next game," Intihar adds.

Brooklyn confirmed!
OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Oh also, in a Famitsu interview, Brooklyn confirmed apart from Queens!

www.gematsu.com

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 map roughly twice the size of previous games, character switching detailed

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2’s map will be roughly twice the size of previous games, Insomniac Games creative director Bryan Intihar told Famitsu.
"We've added Queens and Brooklyn this time, so roughly speaking the map size is about two times larger than the previous titles," Intihar said. "Since these two areas are somewhat smaller and residential, I think you'll find them different from Manhattan. We've prepared some unexpected situations we haven't done before, like a battle on the river between two of the cities, so I hope you'll look forward to them."

Game double in size

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
――プレイ映像では新たなロケーションも登場していましたが、本作ではどの程度、エリアが追加されているのでしょうか?

Bryan本作ではクイーンズとブルックリンを追加していて、ざっくりとですが、これまでの作品の2倍ほどのマップサイズになっています。このふたつの地域は少しこじんまりとした住宅街なので、マンハッタンとは違った魅力を感じていただけると思います。街のあいだを通る川を使った戦いなど、いままでになかった予想外のシチュエーションも用意しているので楽しみにしていてください。

-The gameplay video showed new locations, but how much more area has been added in this title?

Bryan Intihar: We've added Queens and Brooklyn to the map, which makes it roughly twice the size of our previous work. These two neighborhoods are a bit smaller and more residential, so they have a different charm than Manhattan. We have prepared some unexpected situations that we have never seen before, such as battles using the river that runs between the neighborhoods, so please look forward to them.

www.famitsu.com

『Marvel's スパイダーマン2』開発者インタビュー。マップの広さは前作の約2倍。基本的にミッション中以外はピーターとマイルズを好きなときに切り替え可能 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

2023年秋にプレイステーション5用ソフトとして発売予定の『Marvel's Spider-Man 2(スパイダーマン2)』。マップの広さやピーターとマイルズの切り替えなど、PlayStation Showcaseで公開されたプレイ映像について気になることを開発者に直撃。

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Oh also, in a Famitsu interview, Brooklyn confirmed apart from Queens!

www.gematsu.com

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 map roughly twice the size of previous games, character switching detailed

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2’s map will be roughly twice the size of previous games, Insomniac Games creative director Bryan Intihar told Famitsu.
This is a great approach. They nailed Manhattan in the first game, better to just build on top of it than try and re-invent the same section of the city
At least they heard the feedback.
Yeah, you could already feel this shift in the Miles game. Curious to see how the NYPD play into the sequel

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
will there be an underground and a sky Manhattan?

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to checking out the more suburban areas.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
First and only time we've had Queens in an open-world Spidey up until now was Ultimate and traversing it was kinda eh because of its low-rise, residential nature... Point launching and the wingsuit should make it a lot more interesting in SM2 though.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
My kid was JUST asking me the other day if they'll give us the rest of the city because after playing Spider-man twice and MM once he's like "i know this place".

will there be an underground and a sky Manhattan?

It's okay, we can find the wingsuit and if you level that up you don't take fall damage.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I thought they would do, and that's exactly what they should. It's like Insomniac is reading my mind.

First and only time we've had Queens in an open-world Spidey up until now was Ultimate and traversing it was kinda eh... Point-launch should make it a lot more interesting in SM2 though.

As a former Queens/LIC resident, yeah. Aside from LIC itself there isn't a lot of verticality in Queens, but having the glide and super-launch is going to help traversal in Queens and Brooklyn a lot.

Vaern

Jan 9, 2023
1473968437376.gif

tumblr_ocoazkvNB61sc0ffqo3_500.gif

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool but also the best part is swinging between skyscrapers so I'm not sure how all the relatively flat ground in those boroughs is really gonna be interesting with the games mechanics.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Get on the horn with New York and tell them to build out because the video game recreations are getting a little samey

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not a huge surprise since they were already adding Queens, but it's good to have confirmation.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be all about the gliding and the point-launch to get around Queens, which is great. As well as presumably riding around on top of the N train.
Yeah, gliding looks very fun. I have a feeling, and I might be going out on a limb here, that this game will be a good time.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Hope the side content is much better.
I felt Miles Morales was a step forward in this regard. Every sub questline was built around a character in Miles' life, and they each provided meaningful little story bits as you worked through them.

Also letting you spawn Crimes-in-Progress manually was a game changer. The worst part of Spider-Man 2018 was swinging around at 98% completion hoping for some Hammerhead goons to do something illegal

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been dying for them to have Queens! Was happy to see it during the showcase a bit. I hope they really flesh it out with all the different and distinct neighborhoods. I hope we can go as far as Jamaica and JFK. IDK why but i really want to see them add the Belt parkway lol. Would be interesting with the glide wing suits like we saw with Miles.

Keeping my expectations in check though, because i still want them to get the topography and elevation of Manhattan better (125th street still barely exist to me and anything after that barely exist, and its flat instead of being the highest parts of manhattan)
So lets see how they do with Brooklyn and Queens

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, gliding looks very fun. I have a feeling, and I might be going out on a limb here, that this game will be a good time.

It really seems like they learned ALL the right lessons from making SM2018 and SM:MM.

Just please don't kill off Peter, Insomniac. Please.

Damn, an open world TMNT game with a huge intricate underground sewer system would be... so good.

A game that's like 80% sewer levels just made me elementally shiver, like someone just stepped on my future grave site. Oh god.

Sep 6, 2022

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
www.famitsu.com

『Marvel's スパイダーマン2』開発者インタビュー。マップの広さは前作の約2倍。基本的にミッション中以外はピーターとマイルズを好きなときに切り替え可能 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

2023年秋にプレイステーション5用ソフトとして発売予定の『Marvel's Spider-Man 2(スパイダーマン2)』。マップの広さやピーターとマイルズの切り替えなど、PlayStation Showcaseで公開されたプレイ映像について気になることを開発者に直撃。
Oh man, I hope the detail is good. Would love to visit Canarsie and see where I grew up.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I felt Miles Morales was a step forward in this regard. Every sub questline was built around a character in Miles' life, and they each provided meaningful little story bits as you worked through them.

Also letting you spawn Crimes-in-Progress manually was a game changer. The worst part of Spider-Man 2018 was swinging around at 98% completion hoping for some Hammerhead goons to do something illegal
I found Crimes-In-Progess to be very boring/repetitive though, so I didn't utilitize the manual spawning at all.

Dr_Pow

Oct 30, 2017
I'm curious if they will include Green Goblin in this game or a potential Spider-Man 3.
If the first game was a take on The Sinister Six and this seems to be a take on Kraven's Last Hunt and the Symbiote suit, would the follow up be Maximum Carnage?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if they will include Green Goblin in this game or a potential Spider-Man 3.
If the first game was a take on The Sinister Six and this seems to be a take on Kraven's Last Hunt and the Symbiote suit, would the follow up be Maximum Carnage?

I think Goblin is the long game. I think he's SM3. Trying to squeeze a satisfying Norman Osborn as Green Goblin arc into a game that's ALSO trying to tell a Kraven story and a Venom origin story is gonna feel super over-crowded.

My theory: Norman is going to go absolutely nuts trying to cure Harry and one of the things he invents is going to push him over the edge, and be the post-credits stinger/teaser for SM3.