• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
And people who criticised Evolve when it was announced also got "But the E3 impressions" as responses and look how that played out.

I'm not making any claims on wether or not Spider-Man will be a good or bad game. Literally all I'm saying is "But the E3 impressions" has been proven on more than one occasion to be a terrible way of shutting down someone else's subjective criticism.
Yeah, people are saying maybe pump the brakes on talking in absolutes or about how you know you will dislike how a mechanic is in the game before ever playing it.

If someone does a cake tasting and likes it, I'm going to hold their opinion in higher regard than the person who says they don't like the cake before they even try it. I acknowledge the possibility I could not like it and that the person who never tried it could be 'right' as well but I'm still going to trust the first hand experience more every time. That's a baseline of expectations I would expect people on here to have. Clearly, that's not the case for many.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, people are saying maybe pump the brakes on talking in absolutes or about how you know you will dislike how a mechanic is in the game before ever playing it.

Why though? I don't see you or anyone else calling out the "Day 1 for me posters" and telling them to pump the brakes and to stop talking in absolutes. I'm excited for this game but as with any game, it feels like people get caught up in pre-release hype and tell people who aren't as excited to wait until they play it before forming an opinion, while they themselves are forming an opinion without having played it.

If someone created a thread saying they thought the web swinging looked perfect, would you be telling them to "pump the breaks"?

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Exposure for said issue in gifs? What do impressions have to do with that anyway? I was hoping Insomniac might take something away from this thread and the one on reddit if you want the truth.
Take away what exactly? Did you have dreams that their entire physics system was going to change based on a thread on this forum less than 2 months from release date? What?

I don't think anyone is more aware than Insomniac that people consider Spider-Man 2 an unapproachable, perfect and never to be surpassed experience by a segment of the people potentially interested in a new Spider-Game.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Why though? I don't see you or anyone else calling out the "Day 1 for me posters" and telling them to pump the brakes and to stop talking in absolutes.
Likely because they're not looking to try and alter the game based on a few gifs and a skewed perception of how momentum works.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Likely because they're not looking to try and alter the game based on a few gifs.

They're still forming an opinion on the game without playing it, which apparently isn't allowed. Again, I'm excited for the game, I just hate how dismissive people get when someone criticises a game they're looking forward to.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Only if you ignore the poster in this thread who played the game and shares OPs opinion on this.

Sry did not read all postings but wow, one user here who complains with the OPs opinion..
But saw one from another user here and he means it is playing fantastic.

And when I look at Evolve reviews, the game seems to have typically mp game problems.
Like bad matchmaking, less content and bad dlc policy.

Spider Man could have a bad story or a very short campaign but at the moment, everything looks fine.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
They're still forming an opinion on the game without playing it, which apparently isn't allowed. Again, I'm excited for the game, I just hate how dismissive people get when someone criticises a game they're looking forward to.

I think people are dismissive because of the word "concern". The swinging isn't bad, it just isn't a straight duplicate of SM2. However, it's literally improved in every other area. Combat is better, design is better, city is dense and packed with people and cars, animation is better...so the idea that the swinging being just a tad different from SM2 is "cause for concern" immediately makes a lot of people write it off, because it seems so one note.

It's not much different from single issue voting. It's easy to dismiss the opinion of someone who votes for a candidate based on one single issue they are passionate about, while writing off everything else surrounding that candidate. If you do that, you're likely to miss out on a better product or choice.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sry did not read all postings but wow, one user here who complains with the OPs opinion..
But saw one from another user here and he means it is playing fantastic.

So now you're dismissing that persons opinion too, so I guess it doesn't really matter to you if they've played the game or not.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Did you have dreams that their entire physics system was going to change based on a thread on this forum less than 2 months from release date? What?
Let's take Spider-Man 2 out of the equation. It looks bad to me in general how the momentum gets cut instead of being transferred. That is something that can be tweaked fast since they have a constraint/condition on it in the first place. I want the game to be better than it already is.

What's your take on the devs comment?
Sounds promising. I'd like to see what he's talking about in motion though.

The comment about how they're noting trying to be a physics or momentum simulation irks me though since not even Spider-Man 2 was purely aiming for that.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people are dismissive because of the word "concern". The swinging isn't bad, it just isn't a straight duplicate of SM2. However, it's literally improved in every other area. Combat is better, design is better, city is dense and packed with people and cars, animation is better...so the idea that the swinging being just a tad different from SM2 is "cause for concern" immediately makes a lot of people write it off, because it seems so one note.

It's not much different from single issue voting. It's easy to dismiss the opinion of someone who votes for a candidate based on one single issue they are passionate about, while writing off everything else surrounding that candidate. If you do that, you're likely to miss out on a better product or choice.

Who's writing it off though? Even the OP says it still looks fantastic.

Trekkie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the more i see of this game the less hyped i am for it

will most likely still buy it first day tho

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Based on not having played Spider-Man 2, the gifs of its swinging look janky as shit. And woof @ that wall-crawling.

Now, apparently those of you who have played it think it is god-tier web-swinging, so what I'm guessing is going on here is that how something feels to play is different than how it looks in a gif when you've never controlled it yourself.

Food for thought.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Why though? I don't see you or anyone else calling out the "Day 1 for me posters" and telling them to pump the brakes and to stop talking in absolutes. I'm excited for this game but as with any game, it feels like people get caught up in pre-release hype and tell people who aren't as excited to wait until they play it before forming an opinion, while they themselves are forming an opinion without having played it.

If someone created a thread saying they thought the web swinging looked perfect, would you be telling them to "pump the breaks"?
Because I don't care if people get excited or purchase something. That's a big difference from claiming something is or isn't like something that has come before and that it is now concerning even though we have first hand accounts of the game feeling and controlling really well.

Saying the web swinging is 'perfect' without having played it is equally silly but at least it would be backed up by a litany of first hand experiences. We go through this 'concern' song and dance around this time for almost every AAA game and it's super old. Especially when the OP even admits they don't really care to have their opinion changed.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good point, and probably illustrates why a lot of people (myself included) are so frustrated with nit picking like this.

People forget that when you take away the swinging, what you're left with in SM2 is a truly, very, extremely mediocre game. Poor combat, poor missions design, and poor side quests. The only reason the side activities in SM2 were palatable at all is because you got to them by swinging. Swinging is the only thing that game got right.

And I'm not even convinced this game has worse swinging lol, I think it looks great, it's just different because they're focusing on different things. But people holding SM2 up to this standard is kind of insane.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I really hope this game avoids the fate of the Assassins creed franchise, which initially had traversal and parkour as big selling points. But since the system was basically automatic and there was no real way to fail, the excitement and thrill faded quickly and it just became a way to get from point A to point B. Personally, I find it really hard to stay engaged in situations like that, when it can be done while on auto-pilot. Hopefully Spider-man can avoid that fate, cause it would be a real tragedy if web swining, one of the most thrilling traversal methods ever got stale after a few hours.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Based on not having played Spider-Man 2, the gifs of its swinging look janky as shit. And woof @ that wall-crawling.
Now, apparently those of you who have played it think it is god-tier web-swinging, so what I'm guessing is going on here is that how something feels to play is different than how it looks in a gif when you've never controlled it yourself.
ImpoliteDefiniteDolphin-size_restricted.gif

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Likely because they're not looking to try and alter the game based on a few gifs and a skewed perception of how momentum works.
giphy.gif

Edit:
This too:

Food for thought.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017

Im not a fan. They are like just fillers made to waste time. The bouncing back and forth between enemies with actual very little control besides a slightly more interactive qte " oh no better press y now!" I literal quit halfway through Arkham knight because of extreme burn out to that fighting system. Only to soldier through it months later.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So am i the only one who thinks that SM2 gif looks like shit? Mid way through he literally ziplines to the next building as if he's being shot out of a canon. There's no weight to it at all. I'm sure it plays fine, but the new one looks leagues better.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Let's take Spider-Man 2 out of the equation. It looks bad to me in general how the momentum gets cut instead of being transferred. That is something that can be tweaked fast since they have a constraint/condition on it in the first place. I want the game to be better than it already is.
Note how you say 'looks' and then say you want it to be better than it is (again, you haven't played it) just because of your perception. You seem to have a weird sense of self-importance to think that an enormous AAA game needs to be or would be changed because of how you perceive it. When did this 'demand a game cater to me'-thing actually become a viewpoint worth entertaining?

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie the way the swinging and traversal looks in general is making this game a pass for me. There are times it looks right like in these quick gif cuts, but the more you watch there's just some weird things going on with how he moves and transitions. Maybe it's done for accessibility reasons but I wish there was something like a no-assist option.

Oct 27, 2017

Food for thought.

And we have come full circle, really.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Why do people keep acting like they want a 'no-assist' or a 'less casual' version when they actually want 100% of momentum to be magically conserved and put into a swing even if made at a 90 degree angle right above a rooftop?

Surely that's the less skillful version if anything.

Nymphae

Apr 3, 2018
I don't think anyone is more aware than Insomniac that people consider Spider-Man 2 an unapproachable, perfect and never to be surpassed experience by a segment of the people potentially interested in a new Spider-Game.

I feel like this is a gaming myth lol. I've never seen anyone say 2 was perfect and cannot be improved upon, I'm one of it's biggest cheerleaders and the game was clearly flawed as hell.

I believe that the issue is simply that SM2 is one of the only SM games to heavily prioritize momentum. All of the other ones that I've played didn't retain the system which allowed you to build speed with the in game physics, and up your top speed by boosting out of swings.

Every single one of them plays awesomely (Web of Shadows being a close second in terms of swinging, as a game it's far better than 2), but they lost that one little thing which made the swinging a game in and of itself. I can't tell you how much time I spent in 2 just trying to nail perfect arcs and boost out of swings as fast as I could, just moving from one end of the city to the other, and back again, because the mechanics themselves were fun to play with. No other SM game has cared about this to the degree that the devs did with 2.

It's not that 2 was an untouchable masterpiece, it's just that none of the other ones have even tried to do momentum based systems in a similar manner.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I really hope this game avoids the fate of the Assassins creed franchise, which initially had traversal and parkour as big selling points. But since the system was basically automatic and there was no real way to fail, the excitement and thrill faded quickly and it just became a way to get from point A to point B. Personally, I find it really hard to stay engaged in situations like that, when it can be done while on auto-pilot. Hopefully Spider-man can avoid that fate, cause it would be a real tragedy if web swining, one of the most thrilling traversal methods ever got stale after a few hours.

I have played this game multiple times, hundreds of hours, and the web-swinging doesn't get old.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Note how you say 'looks' and then say you want it to be better than it is (again, you haven't played it) just because of your perception. You seem to have a weird sense of self-importance to think that an enormous AAA game needs to be or would be changed because of how you perceive it. When did this 'demand a game cater to me'-thing actually become a viewpoint worth entertaining?
Jesus you're really using the magnifying scope on something so trivial? Of course I'm gonna say "looks" when I haven't played the game yet. No shit. I'm not demanding anything either, it's just food for though for Insomniac whether they want to make tweaks or not. Clearly I'm not the only one in this thread (or reddit) with this opinion. I'll probably still get the game regardless because it looks fun.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im not a fan. They are like just fillers made to waste time. The bouncing back and forth between enemies with actual very little control besides a slightly more interactive qte " oh no better press y now!" I literal quit halfway through Arkham knight because of extreme burn out to that fighting system. Only to soldier through it months later.
Yeah, if you don't like it in Arkham you will probably not like it here. I thought you meant more along the lines of technical issues, not personal preference.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks "off" because it's not janky like Spider-Man 2. Spider-Man lifts his body and changes direction after the swing initiates.
Nah. It looks off to me because it doesn't look as fast as it should be. You can call it janky if you want but despite the web swinging itself looking amazing, the thrill of jumping from a 40ft tall building seems muted. I can live with it, but I can't say I particularly like it. Hopefully the full game ends up better in that regard.

Oct 25, 2017
Exposure for said issue in gifs? What do impressions have to do with that anyway? I was hoping Insomniac might take something away from this thread and the one on reddit if you want the truth.
Take away what? Information from someone who hasn't touched the game and is criticizing the web swinging from a random assortment of gifs? There's no actionable value to this thread.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
But it doesn't matter to everyone, which is why "well everyone else likes it" is such a pointless response to a persons subjective criticism.

I only wrote that there are mostly positive impressions from people who played it.
And that counts more than the opinion from people who never played the game.

Nothing more.

And you came with Evolve that had at launch bad matchmaking, less content and a brazen dlc policy.
Weird comparsion...

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't understand where the automatic comments come from when it comes to web swinging.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaan, I would give half my organs to be you for a day or two lol
I think you'd appreciate a finished product instead of playing it so much by the time it's done that you may end up never playing the finished version more than one time, or it ends up feeling like work even if you're playing it at home.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only wrote that there are mostly positive impressions from people who played it.
And that counts more that the opinion from people who never played the game.

Nothing ,ore.

And you came with Evolve that had at launch bad matchmaking, less content and a brazen dlc policy.....

Right, so the final game didn't live up to the first impressions. So saying "well E3 people like it" is a bad response to someone's subjective criticism.

Evolve was just one example too, it's very common for a game to come out of E3 with good impressions but to be poorly received after release. Again, not saying that's going to be the case with Spider-Man, just that it's a terrible counter point.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Jesus you're really using the magnifying scope on something so trivial? Of course I'm gonna say "looks" when I haven't played the game yet. No shit. I'm not demanding anything either, it's just food for though for Insomniac whether they want to make tweaks or not. Clearly I'm not the only one in this thread (or reddit) with this opinion. I'll probably still get the game regardless because it looks fun.
How is it trivial? It's the very basis of this thread's existence: your perception of something you've never played not being as good as something you played 14 years ago.

Saying this thread is potential 'food for thought' (implying Spider-Man 2's swinging hasn't been brought up ad nauseam since the very first time the game was revealed) to devs weeks before their game ships doesn't actually help your position btw.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017