• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Well, it has been over a decade since I last played, so my memory is probably pretty rusty.

It's not that it isn't a skill based swinging system, there is still depth there, it's just in the traversal options and navigation, instead of just understanding the physics of the swing. You also have to keep in mind that, for Insomniac, this is a HUGE game for their studio, so making the swinging mechanics more complicated than they realistically need to be for the mass market would be, in my opinion, a mistake. Especially so close to the Spider-Man / Avengers movies, this game needs to be pretty accessible & fun, so I can certainly understand why they'd want to ditch the physics and opt for something more approachable, while still giving players optional depth through the other traversal mechanics.

I know, and everyone else who's played the demo knows, lol. If this were a regular, normal occurrence, people would bring it up. You likely experienced a bug, or your controller had a defect that initiated that result. It isn't normal behavior and isn't cause for concern at all.
Dope. Depth if you want it while not sacrificing accessibility is a good thing in my book.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't see how anyone can look at the 2018 gif and think it looks right.

The way he starts to move forward before he even connects the web stands out so much to me, and the lack of speed that should have been built up as he was falling, it just looks weird and doesn't feel right, regardless of what kind of "physics" you are applying to it.

It looks so off I'm fully expecting them to correct it before release. No way they're going to release it like that, especially after all the fan backlash.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you swing in an arc from that speed with only a few feet of space beneath you?

You don't, you crash into the building, which is why it was important in Spider-Man 2 to get good at web swinging if you wanted to get around as quickly and as stylishly as possible.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
What? If he slams into a building he just sticks to it. What do you mean miss a swing? If you don't hold R2 you will just fall to the ground.

That's the funniest part.

It's like half of the people in here haven't watched any of footage now available after E3. There is some automation in there, but you have a ton of traversal options, and they all work seamlessly. In order to gain speed you still have to chain them together, and you can still sort of lose it with poorly timed swings. On the flip side of that, you can release higher to elevate your swinging as well but you take a speed hit. Still canned physics and animations, but it looks fun, and is quite intuitive design wise.

Like SM2 I imagine it's much funner to play than watch. You can also upgrade your swing speed, so I assume other traversal options will be upgradeable as well.

pPuRLe

May 23, 2018
I dont care for any other PS4 exclusive, but Spiderman looks truly amazing and alot of fun to me

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I go back and play Spider-Man 2 on a yearly basis. The physics are still fun to mess around with but pretty much everything else about the swinging does not hold up. The camera is too far away from Spider-Man. The animations are stilted. The physics, while generally "realistic", can lead to a lot of bumping into buildings and awkwardness. Even for someone who has played the game for hours on end. The webs were very rigid in their behaviour in Spider-Man 2. While I can see that Insomniac's version of web swinging has a lot of failsafes in place, I think it's worth the trade off from a playability and an immersion standpoint. Spider-Man is graceful and superhuman. If you want to feel like Spider-Man, Spider-Man is going to need to do some of the work. He should be able to send his webs out at crazy angles or at just the right moment to make sure he doesn't hit the ground. It might not be as challenging as Spider-Man 2 but it looks better, keeps your momentum going constantly, and it feels more like Spider-Man.

Spider-Man 2 isn't going anywhere. You can always go back and play around with those physics if you really want to. I think Insomniac's game will nail the feeling of being Spider-Man far better than Spider-Man 2 because of the shortcomings I mentioned. Insomniac's game has webs that attach to buildings (which hasn't REALLY happened since Ultimate Spider-Man, even if the devs claimed otherwise), a close camera to give you a sense of vertigo and speed, the ability to parkour and wall run over any obstacles, the ability to zip to specific perch spots, and the best animations for all of these actions that have ever been in a Spider-Man game. Many of these things were found in past Spider-Man games but they've never been combined together and they've certainly never been this polished.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You don't, you crash into the building, which is why it was important in Spider-Man 2 to get good at web swinging if you wanted to get around as quickly and as stylishly as possible.
That's what I'm saying. The person I responded to literaly said: "we were expecting him to swing forward like in Spiderman 2".

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
How do you swing in an arc from that speed with only a few feet of space beneath you?

You don't. You crash to the ground, which is what would happen in Spiderman 2 (or, depending on your speed and direction, start running on the ground while holding the line, which was very cool). The reasoning that physics must be altered so that the player can't mess up is frankly ridiculous and utterly worrying.

That's what I'm saying. The person I responded to literaly said: "we were expecting him to swing forward like in Spiderman 2".

Swing forward and hit the building mid-swing in that particular case. Please don't be disingenuous when you know full well what I mean.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You don't. You crash to the ground, which is what would happen in Spiderman 2 (or, depending on your speed and direction, start running on the ground while holding the line, which was very cool). The reasoning that physics must be altered so that the player can't mess up is frankly ridiculous and utterly worrying.
Ok this makes way way more sense. I'm speaking from the same mindset and thought you were, somehow, expecting that swing to complete successfully.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
  • Long drop
  • Initiates swing about 5 feet above a rooftop

Yet people are somehow wondering why he suddenly jolts or momentum isn't completely conserved?

This is part of it too

The game has to find the correct attach point for the web (not many nearby), and then create a swing based on where you're heading / that point, and the player is initiating that swing very close to a rooftop.

There's a lot of things at play there along with taking player input into account.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

This is part of it too

The game has to find the correct attach point for the web (not many nearby), and then create a swing based on where you're heading / that point, and the player is initiating that swing very close to a rooftop.

There's a lot of things at play there along with taking player input into account.
This is pretty much exactly what I thought when seeing that GIF.

edit: Don't know why I can't get rid of this stupid broken GIF link.
giphy.gif

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It looks so off I'm fully expecting them to correct it before release. No way they're going to release it like that, especially after all the fan backlash.

I'm fairly confident any "fan backlash" is basically just a handful of people, respectively, compared to those who really, really enjoyed the traversal. It's highly unlikely to have any significant changes at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Well thanks for that! I really just want to communicate some of the more nuanced elements of the swinging. Granted, my conclusions on it being a design choice are chiefly made from my experience with the game, not from anyone at Insomniac. For instance, I did a "drug bust" and had to chase down the car as some of the goons got away, and you have to get a maintain a certain distance behind the car in order to close in on it and zip to the top & dispatch the remaining goons...if you had to do that with by building momentum and then maintaining the right amount of momentum, it wouldn't exactly be a fun experience, or rather, *as fun* as it could be.

There are a lot of options to move faster, but most gameplay videos didn't articulate that well. For instance, if you press X at the bottom of your swing, he'll vault forward with a speed boost, and you can increase your speed this way. If you press X at the top of your swing (the end) then you vault upwards, which gives you a good deal of altitude, enabling you to "vault" over big buildings. If you're over the top of a building, you can press L2 + R2, zip into it, and press X to immediately vault off the building into a swing. I found myself just vaulting over and around buildings to take shortcuts to locations instead of swinging around them and then running to the top of buildings. When you master these little nuances (it doesn't take long) you'll find yourself effortlessly navigating the city with great speed and it's so much fun.

So while the sandbox element of physics isn't there to "see what you can do", there is a lot of meat and potatoes there to experiment with and keep the traversal interesting and fun.

I played about 45 minutes and never once had the swinging stop. So long as I held R2, Spidey was swinging. I'd say that was likely either a controller issue or a freak occurrence. I could be wrong, but in my experience that didn't happen to me.

This all sounds great to me, can't wait to experience it myself in a few months.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Spiderman literally hovers in mid-air while swinging multiple enemies around in the game. I seriously doubt conservation of momentum based risk-reward traversal or accurate physics are a key development focus
I think that's what I liked the least from what they've shown, the combat a la Batman were it seems like the enemies are taking turns to get their assess kicked and Spider-Man just seems to be able to hover in the air for no reason. Also that attack by which he shoots web in all directions and suddenly takes out a whole bunch of enemies in the bat of an eye looks really unsatisfying and lazy way of dealing with enemies.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's what I liked the least from what they've shown, the combat a la Batman were it seems like the enemies are taking turns to get their assess kicked and Spider-Man just seems to be able to hover in the air for no reason. Also that attack by which he shoots web in all directions and suddenly takes out a whole bunch of enemies in the bat of an eye looks really unsatisfying and lazy way of dealing with enemies.
The combat seems like how Spider-Man fights in the comics. The hovering in the air is just them making for some combat juggling.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well thanks for that! I really just want to communicate some of the more nuanced elements of the swinging. Granted, my conclusions on it being a design choice are chiefly made from my experience with the game, not from anyone at Insomniac. For instance, I did a "drug bust" and had to chase down the car as some of the goons got away, and you have to get a maintain a certain distance behind the car in order to close in on it and zip to the top & dispatch the remaining goons...if you had to do that with by building momentum and then maintaining the right amount of momentum, it wouldn't exactly be a fun experience, or rather, *as fun* as it could be.

There are a lot of options to move faster, but most gameplay videos didn't articulate that well. For instance, if you press X at the bottom of your swing, he'll vault forward with a speed boost, and you can increase your speed this way. If you press X at the top of your swing (the end) then you vault upwards, which gives you a good deal of altitude, enabling you to "vault" over big buildings. If you're over the top of a building, you can press L2 + R2, zip into it, and press X to immediately vault off the building into a swing. I found myself just vaulting over and around buildings to take shortcuts to locations instead of swinging around them and then running to the top of buildings. When you master these little nuances (it doesn't take long) you'll find yourself effortlessly navigating the city with great speed and it's so much fun.

So while the sandbox element of physics isn't there to "see what you can do", there is a lot of meat and potatoes there to experiment with and keep the traversal interesting and fun.

I played about 45 minutes and never once had the swinging stop. So long as I held R2, Spidey was swinging. I'd say that was likely either a controller issue or a freak occurrence. I could be wrong, but in my experience that didn't happen to me.

Great feedback! Thanks for taking the time, it was a good read.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
This is part of it too

In any other game or brand but spider man, i totally want to do it all manually. Full control.

Id want a trigger and a reticle on the far side of the screen for each side, one in the center that's controlled by the right stick, and the control stick press for firing both webs at the analog sticks reticule, (left reticule for left hand, right for right hand, and analog stick controlled center reticule for a double web shot) and if I don't hit the building, I'm aiming for i'd splat, and if I dont pay attention to where I anchor and what side I shoot out my web, I might splat myself into a building.

I also might prefer this is an alternative 'pro' control mode even in a spider man game.

But I don't think most people would like watching spider man constantly splatter himself doing the spider hero equivalent of tying his shoes.

He's spider man, this shit is like walking to him.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
damn, are people really asking them to change the swinging and strictly make 2 again? i don't see anyone suggesting, but instead an intense reaction guarding conversation here...

I think there's room to just discuss the similarities and differences between either mechanic in a design sense. For instance, I think the point brought up about losing momentum is an interesting one, but likewise the consideration of where you're swinging and how to react when faced with a building wall is a cool thought. Streamlining and fantasy fulfilment vs player challenge/mastery

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't give up what Spider-Man 2018 is for Spider-Man 2. That game doesn't hold up outside of the swing physics and piledriving criminals off of tall buildings. The former only felt good after being fully upgraded and the latter is being explicitly avoided in this because Spider-Man can't murder people.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
damn, are people really asking them to change the swinging and strictly make 2 again?

I think there's room to just discuss the similarities and differences between either mechanic in a design sense. For instance, I think the point brought up about losing momentum is an interesting one, but likewise the consideration of where you're swinging and how to react when faced with a building wall is a cool thought. Streamlining and fantasy fulfilment vs player challenge/mastery

Yup, this definitely seems to be the collision here.

If I'm not the one who's actually doing it with my own skills, the fantasy fulfillment is hollow and patronizing.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Nothing on here should ever be confused with 'all the fan backlash'.

God helps us if Insomniac or whatever studio listens to ERA for constructive feedback, especially in this nostalgia fuelled thread.

I'm fairly confident any "fan backlash" is basically just a handful of people, respectively, compared to those who really, really enjoyed the traversal. It's highly unlikely to have any significant changes at this point.

You asked me "what fan backlash". I linked you to fan backlash. This isn't the first time the subject has been breached, to the point people are expressing exasperation that it keeps being brought up. I don't have the patience or time to entertain whatever you deem to be "appropiate quotas" for backlash.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
You asked me "what fan backlash". I linked you to fan backlash. This isn't the first time the subject has been breached, to the point people are expressing exasperation that it keeps being brought up. I don't have the patience or time to entertain whatever you deem to be "appropiate quotas" for backlash.
The way you mentioned it made it seemed like there was some groundswell of fan backlash or something going on which couldn't be further from reality.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
I'll say it again, but the swinging feels very much like a conscious and clear design choice, not an oversight. It isn't changing. SM2 swinging would be a nightmare in this dense city with considerably more complex geometry, not to mention the chase scenes (cars, enemies, helicopters) simply would be much more frustrating with SM2 physics based swinging. They want to maintain "regular" speed (it does vary) so that predictability and control are both at the top of the priority list.

Yes, they say as much with less words in the Gameinformer "How web swinging works in Spider-Man" video.

This is an experienced Spider-Man, they don't want him to faceplant regularly, but instead keep his flow and momentum through the city going. It's too bad for players expecting a higher skill ceiling for traversal, but as you say, the more accessible traversal mechanics are meant to facilitate smoothness and predictability of movement while engaging in the combat and activities the game has to offer. So you're right that ot's a conscious design decision and not a failure of execution. Having watched the Playstation Access 26 minute footage from last week a few times now, i have to say i'm fully on board with what they're doing.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I didn't though. If I understood we both shared the same perspective I wouldn't have been responding as though we didn't.

Sorry but I can't fathom how you can think anyone (not just me, anyone else in this thread) was asking for Spiderman to switch velocity to a 90 forward dash short of you never having played Spiderman 2.

In fact what you're describing is precisely what he does in the 2018 game and why it looks so off.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I don't want them to remake SM2, I want them to make a new game, that is more polished and has a better camera.

I'd also like there to be more of an emphasis on conservation of momentum than is shown in these gifs.

Because I want to play a game where I get to feel like Spider-Man, and conservation of momentum is a huge part of that.

I still think the game looks great, but I have a degree of concern about this aspect.

Dude let it go. The game is made, the way traversal works is a design decision. They're not changing anything just because some vocal minority who've never played the game refuse to take off the nostalgia goggles.

Skill trees aren't coming back to diablo 3 either.