• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah so it's the Ant-Man of this phase.
tenor.gif

Nov 1, 2017
The way the phases are split is kinda meaningless. Something as standalone and inconsequential as Antman being the end of phase 2 sealed that for me.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Peter says with actual spoken words in IW that they were headed to the MOMA. Why do people keep thinking FFH is a prequel because of the trip?

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Makes more sense than it being a beginning, considering how they have been hyping phase 4 up to be something completely different and disconnected from what came before. Although spiderman being the ending of the phase 3 is strange considering how end game is literally supposed to be endgame

I imagine it's an epilogue to everything.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peter says with actual spoken words in IW that they were headed to the MOMA. Why do people keep thinking FFH is a prequel because of the trip?

I knew FFH is set after Endgame, but I won't pretend I remembered something as small as that, so I don't blame other people for have missing that

The way the phases are split is kinda meaningless. Something as standalone and inconsequential as Antman being the end of phase 2 sealed that for me.

It works in either spot tbh

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they'll bridge Mysterio into a normal people getting powers thing, or if he'll be a fraud still. Could be reverse Mandarin. I think right now everything is magic, tech, or experimentation. In the film MCU at least.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda weird in my opinion. Wouldn't you want your big ending to be, well, your big ending? Why tack on another story? Does it set the stage for phase 4 or something? If it does wouldn't it work better as a beginning to phase four?

I'm viewing it as a bonus epilogue, I also doubt it hints much about what's next.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I would really like this, I'm just not convinced by Sony's business decision making
if sony really thinks the general audience will be entertained with a non-MCU spiderman, especially after a series of movies where spiderman finally has been in the MCU, then they really are not in fucking touch with the world. or they just don't want to accept the fact that spiderman and the spiderman universe will not be as successful or have the best storytelling without the rest of the marvel universe.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this makes sense since it's set in between Homecoming and Infinity War.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
As a big fan of the MCU all I can say is this whole "Phase" business is just nonsense.

"phase" is just speak Kevin Feige to get Disney's suits behind the whole "interconnected films" business initially, and it's what keeps the production monies flowing, imo. A realistic "beginning" and "end" to a series of films, so that it's not just seen as an unending series of big budget movies hurtling through the unknown.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
This phase business is confusing.
Are all the MCU movies supposed to be on the same timeline and all related to each other? I thought only the Avengers stuff were their own thing but the other movies weren't that related, even though Ironman shows up on the spidey movie.

Argh, so confusing!

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This phase business is confusing.
Are all the MCU movies supposed to be on the same timeline and all related to each other? I thought only the Avengers stuff were their own thing but the other movies weren't that related, even though Ironman shows up on the spidey movie.

Argh, so confusing!

No. They're all connected

Yeah this makes sense since it's set in between Homecoming and Infinity War.

It's set minutes after Endgame.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
if sony really thinks the general audience will be entertained with a non-MCU spiderman, especially after a series of movies where spiderman finally has been in the MCU, then they really are not in fucking touch with the world. or they just don't want to accept the fact that spiderman and the spiderman universe will not be as successful or have the best storytelling without the rest of the marvel universe.
I mean yeah. A company out of touch with the world. Creates the Amazing Spider-Man movies. Seems consistent to me

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
right...so going along with what PhilosopherDirtBike said, it doesn't make sense to have a standalone movie like antman or spiderman after the conclusive ensemble film
I mean yeah. A company out of touch with the world. Creates the Amazing Spider-Man movies. Seems consistent to me
they created the amazing spiderman movies before joining the MCU. they did so because the asm series failed. so you'd think they'd give up on the idea of doing spiderman shit on their own. looking bad, the asm series was probably a wasted investment on their part

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some people thought all those new heroes (Spider-Man, Black Panther, Doctor Strange and...) are really dead after Infinity War and we won't see them again? :|

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how it could be phase 3 if it's after endgame. I mean sure, they might consider it a phase 3 movie. But in terms of the events of the MCU timeline, I really can't imagine a scenario where the end of endgame isn't the end of phase 3

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is the significance of this movie being in Phase 3 vs phase 4?

Little to nothing.

But if you really want to search for meaning it basically means that Spider-Man Homecoming will be more tied in with the "Infinity Saga" than whatever is going to happen in the next Phase's arc.

Think of it as a bit of an epilogue to a season finale rather than the next season's premiere.

My theory is that Sony is the one who insisted on getting Spider-Man out at this time and if Feige had his way completely it wouldn't be out until Fall or next year. Them advertising Spider-Man whilst his fate is still relatively unknown in Infinity War was probably not ideal.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
they created the amazing spiderman movies before joining the MCU. they did so because the asm series failed. so you'd think they'd give up on the idea of doing spiderman shit on their own. looking bad, the asm series was probably a wasted investment on their part
Yeah, that's my point. ASM failed. But Venom and Spiderverse didn't. My worry was that Sony, as baffling as ever, would decide to take back the reins

labx

Oct 25, 2017
MedellĂ­n, Colombia
The bigger spoiler is that they are photos of
Nick Fury talking to him in the noir suit. I think is a pre infinity war movie

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTMvNzM3L2kwMi9TcGlkZXJNYW5GYXJGcm9tSG9tZV9GdXJ5LmpwZw==

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so minutes after endgame means everything is reverted back ala time travel. If a school can go on a trip to Europe after a universal genocide and the trauma and damage it would do to earth it has to be timetravel / parallel universe stuff. Hope I'm wrong because that would be lame. I much rather have the world moving forward as is in universe and mankind evolve into something new after the events. Some heroes have to return, somehow, but make this event be a turning point for earth in universe.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. But I don't neccisarily buy into lipservice. Their desire to renew the deal could be contingent on getting a larger slice of the pie. Otherwise, I imagine they'd love to have a live-action Spider-verse, featuring venom and the rest of Spidey's biggest enemies.

A larger slice of what pie? Because Sony is the one bankrolling these movies, Sony is the one that gets the profit from them. There is no "larger slice of the pie" to negotiate for because the entire pie belongs to them.

Let's ignore that basically everyone in charge at Sony Pictures when the ASM movies were made doesn't work there anymore (Pascal is the only one involved in these movies at all, and she's just a producer working as the go-between for Marvel and Sony because her and Feige have a good relationship), and it's an entirely new staff that's actually been on a pretty good run lately (Jumanji and Venom being the prime examples).

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
A larger slice of what pie? Because Sony is the one bankrolling these movies, Sony is the one that gets the profit from them. There is no "larger slice of the pie" to negotiate for because the entire pie belongs to them.

Let's ignore that basically everyone in charge at Sony Pictures when the ASM movies were made doesn't work there anymore (Pascal is the only one involved in these movies at all, and she's just a producer working as the go-between for Marvel and Sony because her and Feige have a good relationship), and it's an entirely new staff that's actually been on a pretty good run lately (Jumanji and Venom being the prime examples).
Thanks for bringing reasoning into this.

Kaz replaced all of Sony Pictures management with former Fox employees. Vinciquerra, Hopkins, Rothman.

Disney is gaining X-Men and Fantastic Four. They don't need Spider-Man. If Sony can make their SUMC work, why would they withhold their ability for Spider-Man to appear? FFH would have to make an obscene amount to justify it.

It makes little sense for Disney to produce Sony movies nor would it do justice to the Spider-Man franchise.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
People seem to forget what Disney has been all about these last couple of years: building good relationships. Steve Jobs gave up Pixar, Lucas gave up Star Wars, Marvel joined, etc. They intend to have a great relationship with Sony. Both from gaming to movies. They want to continue this relationship for the foreseeable future. Disney is a good partner (as long as you sell out when they take their wallet out).