• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you didn't know the snap victims were coming back how are you currently operating an electronic device to post on the internet about it?

that's the real question for me

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
if you didn't know the snap victims were coming back how are you currently operating an electronic device to post on the internet about it?

that's the real question for me

They kinda just have to treat it like the Winter Soldier trailers. They didn't even attempt to hide that Bucky Barnes is The Winter Soldier, because the first thing you get when you google The Winter Soldier is his identity.

Like, if you don't know anything about Thanos or The Infinity Gauntlet saga when you're about to watch Infinity War, it would only take you a few clicks to see that the snap is actually the beginning of the story and to get spoiled on how it's all resolved. It's all fine and good to me, because it's about the journey & not the destination. I feel that way about most comic book stories because it's practically impossible to be into superhero comics and not be constantly spoiled by things whether it's from marketing or reading up on older stories or from talking to people about them.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
All I could think about watching this trailer was how much better Spider-Verse looks. Sorry, Tom Holland. I love the casting for MCU Spider-Man, but other than that, Homecoming was bleh in every way, so I don't have much hope for Far From Home, which looks like another generic MCU CGI action-comedy. Wake me up when Spider-Verse 2 gets greenlit.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
All I could think about watching this trailer was how much better Spider-Verse looks. Sorry, Tom Holland. I love the casting for MCU Spider-Man, but other than that, Homecoming was bleh in every way, so I don't have much hope for Far From Home, which looks like another generic MCU CGI action-comedy. Wake me up when Spider-Verse 2 gets greenlit.

I don't know why we can't enjoy both, they're both very different takes on the character and universe. And I'm pretty sure it already is.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They kinda just have to treat it like the Winter Soldier trailers. They didn't even attempt to hide that Bucky Barnes is The Winter Soldier, because the first thing you get when you google The Winter Soldier is his identity.

Like, if you don't know anything about Thanos or The Infinity Gauntlet saga when you're about to watch Infinity War, it would only take you a few clicks to see that the snap is actually the beginning of the story and to get spoiled on how it's all resolved. It's all fine and good to me, because it's about the journey & not the destination. I feel that way about most comic book stories because it's practically impossible to be into superhero comics and not be constantly spoiled by things whether it's from marketing or reading up on older stories or from talking to people about them.

even without that I think the most obvious conclusion to draw after Infinity War is that the snap victims were actually the ones who were safe and any casualties would come from the ones who remain. that was perhaps the biggest criticism of people who just want to poo poo the MCU. now it's a surprise?

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a nitpick. Does Peter's Spider sense not work? Shouldn't he have had at least a feeling that Nick Fury was in that room?

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Shield logo on the stealth suit edited out in this trailer too? Or was it really never there to begin with?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
For movies that are supposed to make people happy, they make for some pretty depressing forum discussion.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I have a nitpick. Does Peter's Spider sense not work? Shouldn't he have had at least a feeling that Nick Fury was in that room?

This was discussed earlier but Fury wasn't an actual threat to Peter. If Spider-Sense went off every time there was a perceived threat, Peter would never be able to rely on it.

It wouldn't just tell him that Nick's in the room, if Nick isn't an active threat to him.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Greenlit, not "in development." In Hollywood, those mean two different things. For example, Universal's "Dark Universe" was "in development," but after the Tom Cruise Mummy movie flopped, that cinematic universe idea got shelved. The Spider-Verse sequels/spinoffs in development are promising, but they aren't set in stone until Sony gives them the green light to begin production.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
even without that I think the most obvious conclusion to draw after Infinity War is that the snap victims were actually the ones who were safe and any casualties would come from the ones who remain. that was perhaps the biggest criticism of people who just want to poo poo the MCU. now it's a surprise?

Yeah, and I feel like Infinity War does a terrific job telegraphing that, but people will want to tear it down if they feel a certain way about how "death" is used as a plot device in superhero stories. Like it's horrifying and seems like a point-of-no-return in the moment when people are vanishing but look at the state of the heroes that are left standing in the end. That's the real tragedy in the making that Infinity War set up for Endgame to explore.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I don't know why we can't enjoy both, they're both very different takes on the character and universe. And I'm pretty sure it already is.
More power to people who enjoy the MCU's take on Spidey, but I have quite a few personal gripes with how they characterized Peter Parker in Homecoming, and some elements in the Far From Home trailer have me worried that the MCU writers still don't get what Peter Parker is all about. I don't mind that the MCU is taking certain liberties, like changing up MJ and Flash, but I feel that they've missed Peter Parker's character entirely. Don't let my bitterness stop you from enjoying Far From Home, though! I hope everyone excited for FFH gets what they are looking for.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and I feel like Infinity War does a terrific job telegraphing that, but people will want to tear it down if they feel a certain way about how "death" is used as a plot device in superhero stories. Like it's horrifying and seems like a point-of-no-return in the moment when people are vanishing but look at the state of the heroes that are left standing in the end. That's the real tragedy in the making that Infinity War set up for Endgame to explore.

I just think it's funny how quick that flipped. of course they'll come back! turned into omg they're back?!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this didnt do it for me. in the slightest. A bit of a let down after how great Spiderverse and its trailers were. But I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

For Chesty Jake.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
If this is after Endgame, I am surprised everyone is acting as if the dusting of Infinity War didn't happen.
I mean no spoilers but I'm pretty sure End Game is dealing with quantum realm/time stone shenanigans. We don't know if the dusting even happens in a post End Game MCU.

More power to people who enjoy the MCU's take on Spidey, but I have quite a few personal gripes with how they characterized Peter Parker in Homecoming, and some elements in the Far From Home trailer have me worried that the MCU writers still don't get what Peter Parker is all about. I don't mind that the MCU is taking certain liberties, like changing up MJ and Flash, but I feel that they've missed Peter Parker's character entirely. Don't let my bitterness stop you from enjoying Far From Home, though! I hope everyone excited for FFH gets what they are looking for.

It boggles my mind that people can walk out of Spider-Verse singing its praises and still think there's a certain/definitive way to portray Peter Parker.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I mean no spoilers but I'm pretty sure End Game is dealing with quantum realm/time stone shenanigans. We don't know if the dusting even happens in a post End Game MCU.

Yep there are a million ways it could play out. Peter could just never even get off that bus at the beginning of IW. Or they manage to stop Thanos before he snaps, or everyone comes back the exact moment they got dusted, or whatever the fuck they decided to go with in the end. Just based on how they've done these kind of things in the past & the fact that the MCU is moving full steam ahead, my guess is gonna be that no one (or just a very select few - maybe just the Avengers & Guardians) remembers the events of IW's ending & the masses go about their business unaware of the cosmic threats out there in the universe.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Characters die then come back all the time in comics. The real consequences often aren't the death, but the aftermath and the effect it has on the other heroes and characters

Infinity War seems to be following that idea exactly, and that final shot of the devastated survivors and the Endgame teaser reiterated that

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Characters die then come back all the time in comics. The real consequences often aren't the death, but the aftermath and the effect it has on the other heroes and characters

Yep. Feige, the Russos, Markus & McFeely know what they're doing. They clearly know how to handle a "death and rebirth" type story based on Infinity War.

Because superheroes put their lives on their line every time they jump into action. It's not so much "who cares?" if they're killed but they go into the fight knowing it's a possibility and they're prepared for it - that's what makes them heroes. The threat of death - for the sake of the characters in-universe - is always there and even if we know they'll win in the end 99% of the time because "they're the hero," what about everyone else who's left when they're gone? How do they move forward without that hero in their lives? How do they come to terms with the loss of life from losing the battle and being one of the survivors?

Most good death-and-rebirth stories explore this, even if it's so abundantly clear based on marketing or corporate greed or whatever the hell you want to call it. Endgame is set up to do exactly that.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i like that, wonder if mysterio is gonna be the fake ultimate hero

weird to be spidey without the spiderverse stuff now lol

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Looks like more Homecoming, which I thought was fine but kind of forgettable. Feel like Marvel is wasting their chance at making epic Spider-Man movies with these ho-hum plot lines/scenarios

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
This was discussed earlier but Fury wasn't an actual threat to Peter. If Spider-Sense went off every time there was a perceived threat, Peter would never be able to rely on it.

It wouldn't just tell him that Nick's in the room, if Nick isn't an active threat to him.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Verse was great but am I the only one on Era who vastly prefers seeing a story simply focused on Peter Parker rather than multiple Spider-Mans including a pig and anime girl?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Spider-Verse was great but am I the only one on Era who vastly prefers seeing a story simply focused on Peter Parker rather than multiple Spider-Mans including a pig and anime girl?

I still see no reason to choose one or the other. That's why Spider-Man is the greatest superhero ever. He works in every situation, whether it's as the friendly neighborhood wallcrawler, the Avenger teaming up to face off against global and even universal threats, or as a mixed race kid from the Bronx who encounters a veteran Spider-Man from another universe. Spider-Man can be anything and everything and I'm glad movies are getting with the program.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I still see no reason to choose one or the other. That's why Spider-Man is the greatest superhero ever. He works in every situation, whether it's as the friendly neighborhood wallcrawler, the Avenger teaming up to face off against global and even universal threats, or as a mixed race kid from the Bronx who encounters a veteran Spider-Man from another universe. Spider-Man can be anything and everything and I'm glad movies are getting with the program.
I can't totally agree, Miles is great but I certainly wouldn't want a movie based solely around Spider Ham or something similar. At least half the appeal of Spider-Man at least for me is the Peter Parker side. But it is nice to have both kinds of movies existing simultaneously.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Mysterio's reason to become a superhero is because the OG Avengers are gone. That would be a neat tie-in to Endgame.