• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Hell, how did no one else see through his plan immediately? It was super unclear what was and wasn't an illusion at times, which would be cool if it weren't for some obvious questions, like: I take it the lava all wasn't real, so did nobody notice that the ground of that Prague square was immediately fixed after Molten Man was defeated?

The drones are blowing shit up to correspond to the Elemental attacks, so it's not like when the hologram stops there's no damage left behind.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure, but how obviously weak that plan was I at least understood that plan. Mysterio though...

He was angry at Stark, so when Stark died he wanted to use his technology to take Iron Man's place to do what, exactly? Get rich? Do heroes get a paycheck?

Let's say his plan worked and he "saved" London, what then? What would he do when actual alien or supernatural threats came knocking? What would he do when the rest of The Avengers want to check him out and see through his ruse in ten seconds?

He'll probably get away with not helping the same way all the other Avengers mysteriously get away with not helping during all the solo movies. He'll just be "busy" or "off-world" :b

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I don't see Jameson has some alt-right guy. His political side is not Spidey's.
Politically, JJ would never be portrayed as an alt-right nut job. But that's the point, he is the one siding with Mysteryo and scammers instead of the hero. It's not a stretch to see him rejecting Sam Wilson as Cap, praising an Osborn's lead "Avengers" team or hating on mutants. Excited to see how he will work within Spidey and the MCU as a whole.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so frustrated at myself for missing the Mysterio reveal's hard pivot. When they were talking in the bar I was really needing to go to the bathroom and I figured this would be a safe time since they'd probably transition back to Peter going to talk to MJ based on the convo so I ran out for about 90 second and came back to Mysterio standing on a table talking about how Stark had wronged them all and I was like "oooooh okay....dammit."

Now I need to go see this again...

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
What the fuck they got J.K. Simmons back?

There's a YouTube video of Simmons voice acting Jameson for some other Spidey media (a game I think). He was obviously as delighted to be back as everybody else at the session was to have him there. It was before anybody knew (or would admit, at least) that he'd be back in Far from Home.

Edit: not posting the link because I think I already did that a few days ago.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Not just MCU Spidey Films.

Iron Man 2 villainis because of his dad.
Iron Man 3 was because of Tony.
Avengers Age of Ultron was because of Tony.

Tony is the best villain in the MCU, period.
Those movies are mainly about Iron Man/Tony Stark though. Spider-Man technically isn't (or at least, shouldn't be).

When is it believed he recorded the footage of him giving away Spider-Man's identity? He has the same injuries in the footage as he does when he 'dies' so, it's a bit of a stretch to think he was this prepared.
Who says he recorded that footage? It could have been doctored by his engineers easily. The dude from Iron Man 1 downloaded the footage of Spidey ordering the drones to stand down, then spliced in some doctored footage of wounded Mysterio, added the voice lines and boom.

It's easily possible within the tech he has, since the same tech in Civil War was used to create Tony's farewell to his parents, with voices and all, and we know they already have holographic footage of Mysterio (both in suit with helm and without helm).I want Mysterio to not be dead too, because Gyllenhaal and Mysterio are awesome, but I doubt we'll see him again except maybe as holographic cameo.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
It is kind of interesting how in both MCU Spidey films the villains exist only because Tony screwed them over.
I won't even be shocked at this point if three movies from now Tony Stark reveals that he wasn't killed, and he finally has a full-proof plan to build his prison planet. Whether we like it or not.
I still haven't seen the film, and I've been rather busy on real life stuff. It's posts like this that make me want to go and see it in the cinema. "Record scratch," that's a very graphic image. I shall steal it.
Hell yeah man, that's why I go to the theater. I'm a comic geek so I knew what was up and I feel like that scene was designed for me just as much as it was for the unaware. They ratchet up the stakes in a huge way right before the reveal that had me being like, "Damnit Peter." It was great.
Also, give me Mysteryo as one of the Osborn's or Zemo's "Avengers" aka Thunderbolts.
Dude, yes. Punisher's current line has Zemo forming the Thunderbolts under Mayor Fisk's strike team. Would love to see them circle back to Hydra after all this time.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Wonder what the significance of Talos' line about Kree sleeper cells was. My assumption was that Captain Marvel did help to end the Kree/Skrull war in the time passed. Guess that's not the case, will we get to see it play out in the sequel movie?

Kree infiltrating the earth, with Skrulls helping the Avengers to stop them, is an interesting flip on Secret Invasion.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
He had access to all kinds of technology, including now EDITH, so I imagine he figured he could work his way through it. He almost beat Spider-Man, after all, so clearly he can take on superpowered people.

Beyond which, posing as a hero is Mysterio's comics origin story. He's probably not thinking about how he might beat Galactus.

But they needed to deploy a fake Nick Fury to even hit the point home harder that his endgame made little sense.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok some more random thoughts:
- Humour felt a bit more hit-or-miss than in Homecoming. Pretty much everything with the teachers was a miss (the first time one of them mentioned witches was good)
- That long illusion scene... So damn good.
- I really liked the start of the Mysterio reveal but it just went on so long that it started to feel like exposition for exposition's sake.
- I just love Holland's Peter and Zendaya's MJ, and I love them being a thing and MJ knowing Peter's secret. I'm not a big fan of the drama coming from superheroes trying to hide their identity from everyone close to them at all costs. I figured this was going to be a great starting point for the next film until...
- That mid-credits stinger. Wow. The one-two punch of me realising they got J.K. Simmons back (I got so happy!) and then revealing Spidey's identity to everyone. I did not see any of that coming, holy shit. I figured Mysterio was going to frame him or something but not that he'd just drop the name like that.

I enjoyed the movie a lot, but with that ending I can't stop thinking about it.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Saw this on Saturday and while it does have its issues, I had a really good time with this. Think I liked it more than Homecoming in some areas. I thought they did a great job with Mysterio here and had a blast watching his character. The scenes with him putting Peter through those illusions were fantastic and I know someone else in here said it but that shot of him in the snowglobe is a damn good shot. I'll be fine if he's actually dead as I feel that scene was handled well but I enjoyed the character so much, I'd love to see him come back.

Also, that mid credits scene got my hyped. They recast one of the best castings on comic book movies and hit us with that reveal.Again, while these Spider-Man films do have their problems, I still enjoy them a bunch and Tom Holland plays such a good version of this character that I want to see more. I am very excited to see where they go from here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm looking forward to watching it a second time to see Sam L Jackson playing Talos playing Fury. I bet there's lots of small details in his body language and stuff.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The first hint:

bFLLG3euV9Vl.jpg

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last night, really wasn't that into it. I just don't think I like MCU's take on Spiderman. That post credits scene was pretty "OH SHIT" though lmao, honestly curious to see how that plays out.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
My only gripe is that I wish there was more of the Mysterio illusions against Spiderman. Got some SpiderVerse vibes from it all. He completely dismantled Peter after that first fight, and I wish Peter was beaten down just a bit more from it. He bounced back pretty quick after talking to Happy. The first third of the movie was a bit too long imo.

Still not a better movie than Spiderman 2 though. Maybe a better Spiderman movie if that makes sense.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I wonder if the guy on the receiving end of the "BOX OF SCRAPS" lecture knew that in 11 years he would reappear as a villain against a character Marvel Studios could not even mention in 2008.

[edit]I just googled who the actor was, and it's the kid who plays Ralphie in A Christmas Story. WHAT THE FUCK? HOW DEEP DOES THIS CINEMATIC UNIVERSE GO?
Wow that's dope.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to watching it a second time to see Sam L Jackson playing Talos playing Fury. I bet there's lots of small details in his body language and stuff.

It's funny because his performance comes off as someone doing an awkward Fury impression. It made me laugh at the end when Happy tells him that Peter will call him, and he gives this nervous laugh.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the guy on the receiving end of the "BOX OF SCRAPS" lecture knew that in 11 years he would reappear as a villain against a character Marvel Studios could not even mention in 2008.

[edit]I just googled who the actor was, and it's the kid who plays Ralphie in A Christmas Story. WHAT THE FUCK? HOW DEEP DOES THIS CINEMATIC UNIVERSE GO?

Whoa. I didn't recognize him, despite having seen him as an adult before.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

He should have warned Quentin that if he overrode safety protocols... he'll shoot his eye out.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

Woah, and he was actually an EP for Iron Man. That was probably just a vanity cameo at the time lol

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I saw someone say that mysterio in this is basically a combination of syndrome from incredibles and Lou bloom. pretty spot on

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Talos is responsible for exposing Peter's identity. Nick Fury would probably have never told him to unmask himself when entering the cave, it was Talos, who had no experience with heroes with secret identities, that told him to unmask himself and introduce his real identity to Mysterio.

"Never invoke her name" when referring to Captain Marvel alone makes the whole thing worth it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That was a great time and full on classic Mysterio mind games mixed with his original introduction is just perfect

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know some people seemed to think having JK Simmons back had implications for the multiverse

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be fun like a Doctor Who Anniversary special but it would also mean the Raimi and Amazing Spider-Man movies would be MCU "canon".
I want Secret Wars making all those old movies canon. Bring back even Henry Cavill as Hyperion to make the failed DCEU "canon" :v

Affleck should come back as Daredevil though. And Jennifer Garner as Elektra.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mysterio's entire plan hinged on Peter never wearing the glasses around him and noone in the world recognizing him or running a photo of him for a match. That's cute.
How would he know for sure that Peter hadn't seen him at Stark Industries?
The whole thing is a giant WTF.
Night Monkey was cute, though.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mysterio's entire plan hinged on Peter never wearing the glasses around him and noone in the world recognizing him or running a photo of him for a match. That's cute.
How would he know for sure that Peter hadn't seen him at Stark Industries?
The whole thing is a giant WTF.
Night Monkey was cute, though.

You think Mysterio and his team didn't have a contingency for that too? He would probably have pretended to be surprised, and convinced everyone that person was the Quentin Beck of 'Universe 616', even if the name was different.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved it. Peter and MJ are adorable. Mysterio was a great villain and I hope he's brought back.

Tons of great action scenes but my favorite has to be Peter going Ultra Instinct in the hallway at the end.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You think Mysterio and his team didn't have a contingency for that too? He would probably have pretended to be surprised, and convinced everyone that person was the Quentin Beck of 'Universe 616', even if the name was different.

That's just too much of a stretch. I'm not going to do the writers' work for them.
If they'd snuck in something about him faking another version of himself since he was fired then... nah, that still wouldn't be enough.
The nature of his work and him having beef with Stark just raises huge red flags even if you think there are multiple versions of him.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah he didn't hid himself to "fury" or no one, they used alternated earth cover-up so if they asked the Mysterio team would have an out

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also do we know for a hundred percent Quentin Beck is his real name? Or did they just roll with the name he gave them and don't know his real one from his stark days?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I could see Stark Industries cutting ties with him and acting as if her never existed there. He was probably nothing more than a fleeting thought to Tony.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Also do we know for a hundred percent Quentin Beck is his real name? Or did they just roll with the name he gave them and don't know his real one from his stark days?
I think he has a line where he suggests his writer helped "create" Quentin Beck. It's not 100% confirmation, but it would solve the nitpick I've seen others complain about that Nick Fury/Talos should have been able to learn about the real Quentin Beck's history from their universe working for Tony Star on hologram tech. If Beck is essentially a fictional character all around, it would at least make it a bit more plausible that his fictional biography wouldn't get holes punched in it right away.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't fully understand the Asian dude. The HS news segment said people who blipped came back as if they were never gone. Why was this blipped dude ripped? Was it just an unsolved mystery?

Also, there was the HS footage of people returning to the exact same spot as they blipped from, but was the before and after both a pep rally? I cant remember now but it made it seem like they were never gone.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't fully understand the Asian dude. The HS news segment said people who blipped came back as if they were never gone. Why was this blipped dude ripped? Was it just an unsolved mystery?

Also, there was the HS footage of people returning to the exact same spot as they blipped from, but was the before and after both a pep rally? I cant remember now but it made it seem like they were never gone.

How do you lose track 5 seconds in

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Are you talking about Brad? He wasn't snapped lol, he used to be younger than Peter, but in the 5 years he was gone he hit puberty and what not and is now Peter's age.