• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, really. That's a very weird thing to say to someone who says you're bullshitting about some bizarre fan critique.

This is a thread about discussion on a film. This is a discourse. A discourse tends to veer into analysis of all pieces of the material.

But you're small minded, clearly, with your reductive assumption that this is fan lunacy when it's clearly a discussion.

Have a good evening.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, OK. But it still felt tacked on. I didn't care and didn't feel bad for the guy. For me it was missing something. Maybe more screen time, more dialogue from Flash would have helped. Maybe if he had participated in the plot more somehow. But when character conflict is seemingly generated from a shot of a text message, a confession, and a few seconds of "where's mom?", it just does not feel effective.

It was tacked on in a sense. Tony Revolori mentions in an interview on Collider that he came up w/ that ending bit during filming and they sort of retroactively went in and peppered stuff to help flesh it out. I'm sure films are made like this constantly, but i do think there was not fleshing.

Link Man

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's still possible to see Mysterio again. His team is still intact, probably with plenty of drones.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I mean, it's still possible to see Mysterio again. His team is still intact, probably with plenty of drones.
I still don't think Beck's actually dead. Peter didn't check for a pulse or heartbeat or anything, and Beck easily could've had a bullet proof vest underneath his mo-cap suit, just had to lay there and play dead until Peter left. He survived and whipped that video up with his team afterwards.

I still don't think Beck's actually dead. Peter didn't check for a pulse or heartbeat or anything, and Beck easily could've had a bullet proof vest underneath his mo-cap suit, just had to lay there and play dead until Peter left.
And nobody would have noticed the body going missing?

Movie villains are usually one-and-done. I think people tend to be overly expectant of repeat appearances, especially when, as here, they've gone through the main thematic point of the character already.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.

Movie villains are usually one-and-done. I think people tend to be overly expectant of repeat appearances, especially when, as here, they've gone through the main thematic point of the character already.
Mysterio's whole thing is fake-outs and illusions, what would be more perfect than the simplest "playing possum" routine?

Also, SONY and to a lesser-extent Marvel still seem pretty dead-set on doing the Sinister Six eventually, which Mysterio is traditionally a member of. If they go the route of Peter being hunted, it's too perfect to have this happen the next movie.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
But why? He liked Peter. He didn't even want to hurt him and originally planned only to kill Fury because he'd figure him out. Why would Mysterio go from "when I have to kill Peter because of your mistake it'll be his blood on your hands" to "I'm dying and I want to ruin your life"?

He's a petty, entitled ass. His and his team's entire reason for becoming villains is because they felt slighted. The villainous Obadiah slighted one, and Tony came up with a shitty acronym. And that's their reason for trying to destroy London and kills millions in the process.

Petty people want revenge even in death.

side-note: I hope Insomniac can recreate the scale of Manhattan represented in that last swinging scene when they get around to a Spider-Man sequel on PS5.

I was thinking the same thing! The PS4 game was pretty good (a lot of fluff, but the meat was delicious), but my god do I want to see that sense of scale.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Who would've searched for that body though? Fury's operations are unsanctioned and he didn't have the manpower. They would've left it to the local officials, who wouldn't have known to look for him.

Also, Mysterio wouldn't even have had to wear a vest. The Drones were able to fire blanks, as shown during the scene where he was rehearsing the "final" attack. The whole thing could easily have been a setup contingency plan. There's really nothing within the movie itself that proves he's dead and there's plenty of opportunity for it to have all been fake. I think the only evidence that Beck *could* be dead is actually industry stuff, because it's pretty common to hear about how many movies an actor signed up for. But that could be misdirection on the part of Marvel as well.

It's kind of cool.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Who would've searched for that body though? Fury's operations are unsanctioned and he didn't have the manpower. They would've left it to the local officials, who wouldn't have known to look for him.

Also, Mysterio wouldn't even have had to wear a vest. The Drones were able to fire blanks, as shown during the scene where he was rehearsing the "final" attack. The whole thing could easily have been a setup contingency plan. There's really nothing within the movie itself that proves he's dead and there's plenty of opportunity for it to have all been fake. I think the only evidence that Beck *could* be dead is actually industry stuff, because it's pretty common to hear about how many movies an actor signed up for. But that could be misdirection on the part of Marvel as well.

It's kind of cool.

I think we need to approach this on the basis of plot and character arcs.

What purpose is served by bringing Beck back? After all, his purpose is to serve as a stand-in Stark/Ben/brother for Peter. One that betrays him, as so many of Parker's villains do. Peter failed Uncle Ben; he made Stark proud, but still lost him; he looked up to Beck, but had to go against him for obvious reasons.

Peter, in this universe, has lost all of his male role models, save Happy, who came through big in this one.

Meanwhile, bringing Vulture back forces this Peter to confront his origins. That has merit, unlike Beck, who ran his course.

I still say do a dual-villain Lizard and Kraven. Kraven hunts Lizard, Peter has to save him and defeat Kraven, thereby finally rescuing and rehabilitating a father figure. He learns that he can save someone, someone who can aid him. It boosts his confidence, if only to take him down a peg in a future entry, (with, say, Doc Ock?).

I really, really, really want Holland to have 6+ film arc. He could be the definitive film version, with most of the major rogues gallery present, all of them feeding his character development before culminating in a Sinister Six (with Vulture being a candidate thus far).

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

What purpose is served by bringing Beck back? After all, his purpose is to serve as a stand-in Stark/Ben/brother for Peter. One that betrays him, as so many of Parker's villains do. Peter failed Uncle Ben; he made Stark proud, but still lost him; he looked up to Beck, but had to go against him for obvious reasons.

Peter, in this universe, has lost all of his male role models, save Happy, who came through big in this one.

Meanwhile, bringing Vulture back forces this Peter to confront his origins. That has merit, unlike Beck, who ran his course.

I still say do a dual-villain Lizard and Kraven. Kraven hunts Lizard, Peter has to save him and defeat Kraven, thereby finally rescuing and rehabilitating a father figure. He learns that he can save someone, someone who can aid him. It boosts his confidence, if only to take him down a peg in a future entry, (with, say, Doc Ock?).

I really, really, really want Holland to have 6+ film arc. He could be the definitive film version, with most of the major rogues gallery present, all of them feeding his character development before culminating in a Sinister Six (with Vulture being a candidate thus far).

Beck doesn't have to just serve the one purpose. He could easily come back as a mastermind of another plot, catching Peter unawares. It doesn't change or weaken the theme in this film but instead acts as a gilding trial for Peter. To get the one who turned his life upside down.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't get why Fury/Talos reacted that way to Peter saying Captain Marvel. Isn't (Talos) super enamored with her since she saved his family? Or was he trying to think how Fury would react, and would be mad at her because the cat scratched his eye?

Oct 27, 2017
She's also maintaining peace and order in half the galaxy, maybe they think this problem is beneath her, something earthlings are more than capable of handling themselves.

That makes more sense to me, the way he says it is sharp so it's ambiguous as to what the full meaning is, just doesn't seem like spite at least unless they've had a yet to be shown falling out

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a cheap parallel (Back in Black + Peter doing his Tony impression) but I chewed it up all the same. And the punchline was great, "I love Led Zepplin!", lol.

Yep lol agree with you but I'm 23+ movies in and marvel knows what to do to get me fucked up haha.

And yeah! That line was so good haha of course Peter would say that.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, there is no good reason to bring Beck back. Better to end it with a long lasting legacy.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm surprised that so many people take the identity reveal at face value. They did everything they could to spin JJJ as an Alex Jones type, just how many people do you think will buy into that without question?

It's like Homecoming's zinger of May finding out who he is, and I firmly believe it'll be played for jokes in the next movie.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised that so many people take the identity reveal at face value. They did everything they could to spin JJJ as an Alex Jones type, just how many people do you think will buy into that without question?

It's like Homecoming's zinger of May finding out who he is, and I firmly believe it'll be played for jokes in the next movie.

About half the population?

Peter's identity being openly revealed isn't something that's been done before in the movies, and not that often in the comics either. That's something new and interesting that Marvel Studios can explore. Feige's interview also say it's going to affect how the story is going to evolve, moving foward.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Peter giving the glasses to Beck was so dumb. It's like Star Lord punching Thanos as they're about to take off the Gauntlet, doing something stupid just to advance the plot.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Disagree, Starlord doing that was consistent with his character, and he had a very good reason.
I didn't say it was out of character. I mean writers writing a scene in such a way because they need a particular thing to happen. Star Lord being the only person who doesn't need to do anything while the rest are holding Thanos or removing the Gauntlet just so that he can trash talk and get angry, like when the heroes came up with the plan it was agreed Peter would just stand there and talk, it's dumb. Peter giving the glasses to someone he has known 10 minutes and then immediately leaving so they can set up the villain reveal and final third of the movie is also dumb, Peter wouldn't just give away something Tony had entrusted to him but the writers needed it to happen.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

I'm interested in flashs reaction. This dude seems like he has a shitty situation with his parents, so he really depends on Spidey. I think it'll be hard for him to accept that him and Peter are the same person. Meanwhile, the Asian guy (Devon??) is going to be all Gung ho about this new development.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Okay, I finally got by thoughts straight regarding this movie... and I'll give it the same rating as Homecoming though for different reasonings. Homecoming was much funnier, but FFH had a more solid plot as well as dat swerve and graphics.

Speaking of which, the CGI was alright, but I'm beginning to see caveat on it. I guess I'm getting too used to Marvel movies to be too impressed with them anymore (anyone thinking it compares to Spider-Verse must be smoking something).

Peter/MJ... I'm not sure what to think of the pairing right now. Acting wise it's sound. I guess I'm not used to awkward romances. Time will tell, though it's a definite leg up compared to Rami's MJ.

Quentin... man was he great at his role and I'm glad he has a chance to return.

Also... I can't be the only one noticing the Muslim girl in the hijab. Glad for Sony/Disney for depicting a NYC classroom with the actual demographic even as side characters.

Overall, I'd rate the Sony Spider-Man series as equals, slightly above Spider-Man 1 and the Amazing series. Let's see if Sony doesn't screw it up.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched Winter Soldier recently and Edith shares a lot in common with Project Insight.

Peter handing over the glasses seems rushed, but his trip has already been derailed twice and he wants to get back to his friends and MJ. To him, Mysterio and Fury have the world's problems in hand.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they deal with Spiderman putting away MJ's dad in prison at all in this movie? Did I miss it? Or is that being saved for the sequel?

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MJ's dad is safe and sound.

Wait. Wasnt Vulture MJ's dad? I swear that is how I remember it. O.o

That wasn't MJ, that was Pete's crush from the last movie who went away when Vulture got locked up. I don't think we'll see her again, but I really hope we see Keaton...

Oh ok.

Holy crap lol. I am wildly mis-remembering Homecoming. :D

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Wait. Wasnt Vulture MJ's dad? I swear that is how I remember it. O.o

rlf6phnbrhqmoo40iuvo

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
ooh man, I just remembered Pete's reaction when MJ tells him she was only looking in his direction because she thought he was Spider-Man.

That stung

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

I don't think they left Vulture alive unintentionally or just so Peter could confront his origins. They're very clearly working towards a bigger plotline involving multiple villains. Sinister Six seems possible at this point, especially given the success of the MCU Spider-Man films. It has the power to carry that arc now.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't 100% buy Beck being dead either. They sort of triple checked it, which was enough that I wouldn't be surprised if they left him there for good, but misdirection is such a huge part of the character they'll always be able to bring him back convincingly.

And frankly I want the Sinister Six ASAP and without Mysterio they have like three guys, tops, and they're all from Homecoming.