• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rlf6phnbrhqmoo40iuvo

You know...if Liz wasn't bliped, she'd be an adult and around the age she starts helping the Vulture. Maybe she becomes the Vulture in the eventually Sinister Six movie?

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I really, really enjoyed it. My wife isn't a big MCU fan and always groans when I ask her if she'll go with me, but she really liked this one. She's a teacher and found the students and especially the teachers to be portrayed very accurately. When Mysterio finally did his villain reveal, she leaned over to me and whispered "I had a feeling he was bad." She also thought he was Dr. Strange until they threw in that line about it not being him. For all the talk about weak MCU villains, Spider-Man's 2 main villains so far have been excellent and possibly the best portrayals of their respective characters in any medium.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The way people reappeared at the exact spot they were before it had me wonder about those who were dusted while sitting in a plane that crashed after.

This adds to the other question I had after endgame about whether the people who died as a consequence of the dusting (car crash, plane crash etc.) were resurrected or not. (And if they did get to be part of the memorials.)

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The way people reappeared at the exact spot they were before it had me wonder about those who were dusted while sitting in a plane that crashed after.

This adds to the other question I had after endgame about whether the people who died as a consequence of the dusting (car crash, plane crash etc.) were resurrected or not. (And if they did get to be part of the memorials.)

It's stuff like this that makes me hate the way they chose to handle the snap and the unsnap.

In the real world, this would be a tragedy that would overshadow everything and make the world so unlike ours as to be unrecognizable.

Which is exactly why I liked how FFH basically blew off the whole thing.

Oct 25, 2017

If hulk wished "I want everyone that was snapped to return to where they belong safe and sound in the present day" then whatever logic that space magic follows would figure "safe" out.
Basketball players would appear back on the court.
People in planes would probably appear at one of the two airports or just on the nearest safe ground to where they were in the air.
Probably didn't include people that died from secondary causes.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Gyllenhaal is such a good actor. He pulled off someone trying to act seriously who cam't really act so well.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
The opening montage was so stylistically shitty it was great. The Comic Sans font was a great touch.

Overall I don't really care for making Peter face yet another villain created by Tony Stark. Because of that, of the three MCU films this is in third place behind Captain Marvel and Avengers. Although it's neat that the villain is basically SFX.

Brad was completely pointless as a character. Also it was pretty obvious that Fury and Hill were Talos and Soren, since Fury was throwing his weight around way too much to be really Fury and Hill was snarking about Fury exactly how Soren did about Talos in Captain Marvel.

Peter and MJ's relationship was very well done.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
Finally saw this and boy, that wasn't very good. Peter and MJ carried this movie. The two actors that played his teachers (Gilfoyle and JB Smoov) are both great comedic actors but were so uninteresting in this. Aunt May was worse here than in Homecoming, her relationship to Peter is so strange, there's never any meaningful moments between the two. I appreciated how they handled Mysterio, but his team he worked with and their motivations? They didn't like their boss so now they're killing millions? WTF! His classmates were less interesting in this than homecoming, especially Flash and Ned, they felt pointless in this movie. I don't think any of the jokes really landed for me. That Night Monkey joke jeeeeeeesus. The movie was very boring for me until the reveal of Mysterio's illusions, but even then it wasn't a shock for anyone that knows Mysterio. This is a hot take, but just put Spidey back in Manhattan, I like watching him web swing, let me watch that, high in the sky webslinging aerial battles. Idk, I really wanted to like this, I just left feeling confused. Speaking of which, I don't understand the blip stuff at all, don't know if that's the movie or on me. P.S. JJJ was sooooo hype haha

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That was really meh. Knowing the source material, I knew the Mysterio carpet pull was coming, but the people I saw it with, who have no comic knowledge, thought it was incredibly tacky and I cant say I disagree. The "big reveal" scene with the kitschy flashbacks and big ZOOM IN on the villain moments to hammer the point across was like a bad parody of itself. Gyllenhaal was good, for what it's worth. The first illusion mindbend scene was easily the best part of the movie for me.

Awkward MJ and Peter was good too, and Tom Holland is still peak live action Spidey, but this was just not a very good movie, even on a CBM curve. I saw people here saying it was better than Spider-verse but that's absolutely bonkers. It's not even better than Homecoming.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just rewatched this. Loved it even more the 2nd time around, now I'm convinced it's my favorite Spider-Man movie

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Gyllenhaal is such a good actor. He pulled off someone trying to act seriously who cam't really act so well.

I think that exposition scene is the hardest scene in the whole movie for an actor to pull off, and he nailed it. Not too hammy, just enough, but also an undercurrent of real menace and humour. Gotta give everyone credit, writers and director for nailing the overall tone of the movie.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Thought Homecoming was such a better movie.
Too much happening, not enough of Peter's struggle, way too much CG.
Gyllenhaul was good, but maybe it was just the material..

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I was thinking about how this movie was sorely lacking in Spidey Quips, but it actually made sense because Peter was fighting mindless CGI monsters for part of it, he had his guard down with people who know him personally for most of it (a little too much in Mysterio's case) and at the end of the movie, he was rightfully serious as fuck and knew he couldn't psych Beck out with dumb jokes.

He had a few good, goofy moments (the web shooter line is a treasure) but I love how no-nonsense he is in the final fight. Spider-Man being mostly silent when he gets serious is super intense.

nevercomehome

Oct 25, 2017
Sitting through that in memoriam montage made me realize that, yeah, vision is just straight up dead. For some reason I just thought they'd bring him back somehow. Kind of upset about that tbh. didn't really do much in his time in the MCU.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Sitting through that in memoriam montage made me realize that, yeah, vision is just straight up dead. For some reason I just thought they'd bring him back somehow. Kind of upset about that tbh. didn't really do much in his time in the MCU.

Captain America was in the montage too though. The public doesn't know he is still around. Has no bearing on Vision's future.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about how this movie was sorely lacking in Spidey Quips, but it actually made sense because Peter was fighting mindless CGI monsters for part of it, he had his guard down with people who know him personally for most of it (a little too much in Mysterio's case) and at the end of the movie, he was rightfully serious as fuck and knew he couldn't psych Beck out with dumb jokes.

He had a few good, goofy moments (the web shooter line is a treasure) but I love how no-nonsense he is in the final fight. Spider-Man being mostly silent when he gets serious is super intense.
Reminded me of Tobey in the final fight

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

I absolutely loved when he finally relied on his Spider-Sense and took out the hallway of drones, with the flashes of the real world and Mysterio's illusions interspersed. So, so good. Quiet Spidey is scariest Spidey, and that's not even just a cheesy bit from the comics. When you consider that he could literally punch someone's skull in without breaking a sweat, and his affable nature and good heart is what keeps him from going too far, it's really satisfying to see him cut loose a little. The way he was dismantling those drones like it was nothing was pure Spider-Man. God help anyone that pushes him too far, were he to be a villain.

The Mysterio Illusion battle is definitely the setpiece of the film, but I think the Peter Tingle barrage at the end deserves some love too. It was a flashy action scene, sure, but it also served the character (Spider-Man learning to channel his Spider-Sense in a way we haven't seen in the films up to this point).

I've seen the movie 3 times now, and I've enjoyed it more on each viewing. It really is a tightly done movie. It still manages to capture that high school movie feel of Homecoming, while putting Peter Parker in an unfamiliar setting, and challenging him in a slightly different way than other films have tackled his "With Great Power" thematic motif.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

It's cool to see just how much he's evolved even since Homecoming (which was just 2 years ago, and this is our 5th Holland appearance?) But like at the end of that movie, he was scrambling. He's just keeping up to do the right thing. He's never been in a real fight like this. And it's not like he wants to kill Vulture - it's his girlfriend's dad. He just wants to stop the robber. He's sceaming "I'm trying to save you!"

But Mysterio was a knife in his back at his most vulnerable. When he goes into this fight, he's not scared, he's focused. He has a job and he's going to bring this motherfucker down. And then he just stares down Beck with "You can't trick me anymore."

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Just got back from seeing it. I liked it quite a bit.

The Illusion scene was fucking awesome, holy shit. What an absolutely perfect way to use Mysterio, the final battle, while still good, was a huge bummer for me because they they didn't bother attempting anything like that again.

Everything before the (painfully obvious) Mysterio reveal was on the weak side though. They didn't even try to make Mysterio's fake backstory seem convincing whatsoever, which felt really off to me.

Loved the end credit scenes. JK Simons back as JJJ is amazing, we're getting fucking SWORD for Phase 4, hell yeah.

I also liked how Mysterio's team is still out there, so they could easily bring him back as a holographic bad guy (kinda like Hatsune Miku, but as a supervillian lol), so he can still join the Sinister Six.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I can't believe they fucking got JK Simmons to play J. Jonah Jameson!! I flipped my shit when he popped up! Hope he's there for the next one, he should considering the events in which the movie ends.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Oh yeah also, a couple of pretty amazing moments during the film:
  • Really glad they decided to go all in and crazy with the Mysterio effects during the illusions, which made possible something that usually doesn't happen in these live-action Marvel movies. Shit was stylish as hell and kind of reminded me of Spider-verse at times.
  • We all felt exactly the same way Happy did when watching Peter doing his thing and developing his suit. Don't lie.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
It's cool to see just how much he's evolved even since Homecoming (which was just 2 years ago, and this is our 5th Holland appearance?) But like at the end of that movie, he was scrambling. He's just keeping up to do the right thing. He's never been in a real fight like this. And it's not like he wants to kill Vulture - it's his girlfriend's dad. He just wants to stop the robber. He's screaming "I'm trying to save you!"

But Mysterio was a knife in his back at his most vulnerable. When he goes into this fight, he's not scared, he's focused. He has a job and he's going to bring this motherfucker down. And then he just stares down Beck with "You can't trick me anymore."
I was scratching my head after watching this movie. I was beginning to wonder if i was that out of touch. I'm a huge Raimi Spider-Man 2 stan, but i think that Homecoming and Far From Home are the best Spider-Man experiences ever, and this is coming from a lifelong Spider-Man fan since the oldest cartoons. When those lists circulated about ranked Spider-Man movies and Homecoming was so low (and Spider-Verse was so high) I started questioning if i really *ever* understood Spidey. Clearly not if ERA was any indication. FFH was everything that I've ever loved in Spidey, and the Mysterio fights were things I never thought I'd see executed. Marvel continues to surprise me. These movies are incredible.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
so how were the drones acting as other spider-men piling on top of peter or grabbing him from beneath the ground

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Mysterio paid a bunch of people off the street.

"Okay, I've got this really awesome elaborate show planned. When I give you the cue, you just need to sort of squirm on top of spider-man for a little while. Y'know, just dog pile him and get grabby and wiggly for a good 15 seconds. No weird stuff. Once he's really got the jitters you may leave. A bearded man with gift cards will be waiting at the corner of Maltby and Grange Walk."

It was actually just a couple construction workers on their lunch breaks, a greasy looking chav and an eccentric transient the locals call Batty Betty.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Another great Spidey flick. The Berlin scene was bonkers. They did such an awesome job with Mysterio overall, and I have a feeling that he might not be dead either, or that Mysterio is coming back in some form. Gotta have that sinister six.

Now we just need Kraven to get a live action appearance and it be cool if the next movie is about him hunting down Peter.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movie felt.... pointless.

Why be set in Europe? Felt more like Tony fighting an evil Tony than Mysterio. Yeah he had illusions but it was like Spidy vs Drones.

I was glad Happy was being not a dick for a change.

And what happened to Friendly Neighborhood Spidy? He really is becoming the new Tony.

Aside from Zendaya, the whole film felt off

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why be set in Europe?

Why not? It's a change of scenery from New York, and helped set up the conflict of Peter choosing between his superheroics and enjoying his vacation with his friends and crush.

Felt more like Tony fighting an evil Tony than Mysterio. Yeah he had illusions but it was like Spidy vs Drones.

I mean they're illusions. How else is he supposed to realistically fight Spider-Man and terrorize the city? He doesn't have powers.

And what happened to Friendly Neighborhood Spidy?

Nothing?

He really is becoming the new Tony.

The movie literally spelled out that no one can be the new Tony/Iron Man. Even Tony himself couldn't live up to that ideal. That said, the similarities the two share aren't inherently bad either.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Can't wait to see Flash's reaction to Peter Parker being Spider-Man. I expect some r/PublicFreakout shenanigans

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Is anybody talking about how Jake Gyllenhaal confirmed that Mysterio is alive and well on IG? I'm probably late to the party since that was like 8 hours ago but still!

Oct 25, 2017
Is anybody talking about how Jake Gyllenhaal confirmed that Mysterio is alive and well on IG? I'm probably late to the party since that was like 8 hours ago but still!

You talking about this?

gJofTF2.png

bZpkFEZ.png

Is this something I'm going to have to keep a lookout for in the home release? Does he appear in this outfit hidden in a crowd or something post-death, or what? Is that what I should be looking for?

Last edited:

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was great. It makes perfect sense that following the craziness of Thanos, instead of a real threat it'd be a manufactured threat in a society that clearly has come to worship super heroes as gods. A man who wants to be loved as a super hero by presenting himself as the solution to the problems he creates. Reminds me of Griffith from Berserk in the most recent arc.

How fickle is the public? Would they believe an evil man good and a good man evil if told to believe it in trusted media?

And what makes it work is Jake looks like the kind of guy you'd cast to be a super hero. He affects the role so well, only to be a completely ridiculous character. In the same way The Mandarin being portrayed by Ben Kingsly, who is the kind of guy you'd cast to be a villain in a hero film. When he ends up being a complete pile of garbage, it was awesome IMO.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
You talking about this?

gJofTF2.png

bZpkFEZ.png

Is this something I'm going to have to keep a lookout for in the home release? Does he appear in this outfit hidden in a crowd or something post-death, or what? Is that what I should be looking for?
Cool I would love to see Mysterio in more films plus it would be such a waste to only use Jake Gyllenhaal for just 1 movie.