• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
And nobody would have noticed the body going missing?

Movie villains are usually one-and-done. I think people tend to be overly expectant of repeat appearances, especially when, as here, they've gone through the main thematic point of the character already.

Indeed. When you're drawing 50 comics a year, you run out of ideas and that is a reason to re-use villains.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
A few pages back, somebody asked why this was set in Europe.

Thank god it was. Most MCU movies being shot on soundstages with CGI backdrops is a huge bore. This film looked pretty great in contrast.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I saw it yesterday and it was enjoyable, but holy crap did the trailer give away way too much. Like all the key plot points aside from the after credits stingers were not surprising at all.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
"I'm out of web"

* Proceeds to MacGyver the shit out of the situation *

That's the most Spider-Man shit I've ever seen

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movie villains are usually one-and-done. I think people tend to be overly expectant of repeat appearances, especially when, as here, they've gone through the main thematic point of the character already.

Normally I'd agree but Sony is pushing this Sinister Six thing really hard. As much as the Spiderman movies are part of the MCU, they're also building towards their own thing - and if Spidey is going to face off against a team of six villains, there's no way Michael Keaton, Michael Mando and Jake Gyllenhaal won't make up half of that team.

Normally I'd agree but Sony is pushing this Sinister Six thing really hard. As much as the Spiderman movies are part of the MCU, they're also building towards their own thing - and if Spidey is going to face off against a team of six villains, there's no way Michael Keaton, Michael Mando and Jake Gyllenhaal won't make up half of that team.
The most recent iterations reported of the Sinister Six film idea didn't involve Spider-Man being in it.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
A few pages back, somebody asked why this was set in Europe.

Thank god it was. Most MCU movies being shot on soundstages with CGI backdrops is a huge bore. This film looked pretty great in contrast

Yeah they did well, only thing they cheated on was that little bit set in The Netherlands; that was a far cry from being Broek op Langendijk ;P
But I'm glad that it wasn't as bad as Eurotrip, I believe 95% of that movie was filmed in/around Prague :P

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Damn what trailers were you watching
Whichever one had MJ flatout say she figured out Peter was Spider-Man, showed the plane exploding, and all the shots of Mysterio fighting giant CG looking monsters while working with Shield. Also "I think Nick Fury just highjack our school trip" was definitely in a trailer. Oh yeah, and it would have been nice of they'd saved "Nick" showing up in their room and tranqing his friend for the actual movie.

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017

I like this. Apparently Quentin and his crew are keeping an eye on Peter throughout the movie.

And when the camera moves from the doorway to the rooftop before the heart to heart they have, it's supposedly following Quentin's silhouette as he is walking in-costume behind the projection.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Whichever one had MJ flatout say she figured out Peter was Spider-Man, showed the plane exploding, and all the shots of Mysterio fighting giant CG looking monsters while working with Shield. Also "I think Nick Fury just highjack our school trip" was definitely in a trailer. Oh yeah, and it would have been nice of they'd saved "Nick" showing up in their room and tranqing his friend for the actual movie.

I'm struggling to see what huge spoiler is revealed in any of that. There are huge monsters and the mcguffin is that Beck (aka Mysterio) fights them, and Peter only gets involved because Nick keeps nagging him to step up.

A plane explodes just after everybody is told to get on board. Michelle obviously suspects Peter is Spider-Man. Because she's been watching him, and she's not utterly stupid.

I've not yet seen the film, but from what I've read (the whole plot) this is no spoiler.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm struggling to see what huge spoiler is revealed in any of that. There are huge monsters and the mcguffin is that Beck (aka Mysterio) fights them, and Peter only gets involved because Nick keeps nagging him to step up.

A plane explodes just after everybody is told to get on board. Michelle obviously suspects Peter is Spider-Man. Because she's been watching him, and she's not utterly stupid.

I've not yet seen the film, but from what I've read (the whole plot) this is no spoiler.
I don't recall using the term "huge spoiler." That's not what McGuffin means. I mean it was pretty likely that Mysterio was going to flip but there was always a chance they could have tried to pull a Captain Marvel with the expected villain but when you see Mysterio fighting giant CG monsters and telling Shield he's from an alternate Earth it because pretty clear how that was gonna go down.

These are simply plot points that I would have had greater enjoyment from the film by not knowing. The Endgame trailers were great compared to the Far From Home ones.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
These are simply plot points that I would have had greater enjoyment from the film by not knowing.

Okay. But I hope you do realise that trailers exist to persuade people to watch the film. A lot of people have seen the film, so maybe this whole "not knowing" thing doesn't count for much. Would "not knowing" about gravity make your future life more fun?

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I think that was one of my favourite post-credit scenes of any MCU movie.

Just an insane "Oh damn!" moment.
Followed by an "Oh damn!!!!!" moment.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Okay. But I hope you do realise that trailers exist to persuade people to watch the film. A lot of people have seen the film, so maybe this whole "not knowing" thing doesn't count for much. Would "not knowing" about gravity make your future life more fun?
I can see that you are desperately struggling to make a point of some sort, but this is pathetic. What are you trying to say?

Because asking me if I know why trailers exist and making weird hypotheticals about gravity isn't communicating much. If you have something to say, say it.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Trailers exist yes, but that doesn't mean everyone pays attention to them as a deciding factor in what to see, this is MCU Spider-Man after all.

And it's perfectly valid to feel that they show too much, as it was a common complaint for Homecoming as well.

That being said, I thought it was a bigger deal that the vocal lines in one of the TV commercials during the NBA Playoffs clearly implied Tony was gone. I still know people that haven't been able to see Endgame due to their location and/or current life circumstances.

Last edited:

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017

I like this. Apparently Quentin and his crew are keeping an eye on Peter throughout the movie.

And when the camera moves from the doorway to the rooftop before the heart to heart they have, it's supposedly following Quentin's silhouette as he is walking in-costume behind the projection.

I think the most noticeable one is when Peter and MJ are having the Boh conversation - there's a guy in the background, out of focus, but clearly watching them both and the shot lingers for a second after they walk out of frame.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to rewatch this to keep an eye on all the background people lol.

Apparently, when Peter distracts everyone during the drone attack on the bus, to make them look out the windows, MJ is the only one not turning her head, and instead she keeps an eye on Peter.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I can see that you are desperately struggling to make a point of some sort, but this is pathetic. What are you trying to say?

My apologies. What I really want to say is that your personal concerns have no effect on the success of the film. As somebody who hasn't yet seen the film, I really appreciate the efforts to inform me about its contents. I want to know whether to watch the film, and the trailers play a part in that decision.

Trailers exist yes, but that doesn't mean everyone pays attention to them as a deciding factor in what to see, this is MCU Spider-Man after all.

And it's perfectly valid to feel that they show to much, as it was a common complaint for Homecoming as well.

That being said, I thought it was a bigger deal that the vocal lines in one of the TV commercials during the NBA Playoffs clearly implied Tony was gone. I still know people that haven't been able to see Endgame due to their location and/or current life circumstances.

Well really, it's not such a big deal, is it? I haven't yet seen Ant Man and The Wasp, or any of the Iron Man films. I still enjoyed all the other films, particularly the ones featuring Iron Man. Why not? Robert Downey is one of my favourite actors.

But this is a Spider-Man film. He's far more important than anybody we've seen in the he MCU so far. He's the single most loved superhero on earth (though to be honest, maybe Steve and Tony have come close, such is the magic of MCU). Tony is dead. What kind of nutcase would you need to be to think you can ignore the facts?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounded like they envisioned it as a Suicide Squad-type thing.

Not sure I buy that at all. The Sinister Six isn't some Suicide Squad knockoff. They don't work for the government, they don't get forced into working together, they're not even an ongoing "team" ... They're a bunch of Spidey villains that are so fed up of losing to him that they team up to take him out.

Which they'll inevitably fail to do because Spidey is Spidey and by the time he's established enough to have multiple villains ganging up on him he ain't losing to shit.

Isn't that old news and back when Drew Goddard was attached to direct, before Sony shitcanned the project?
The most recent mention of it from Pascal has her still wanting Goddard to do it.

Not sure I buy that at all. The Sinister Six isn't some Suicide Squad knockoff. They don't work for the government, they don't get forced into working together, they're not even an ongoing "team" ... They're a bunch of Spidey villains that are so fed up of losing to him that they team up to take him out.

Which they'll inevitably fail to do because Spidey is Spidey and by the time he's established enough to have multiple villains ganging up on him he ain't losing to shit.
Just like Venom isn't a standalone hero with no connection to Spider-Man...

Adam Sadler

Nov 9, 2017
Oh my god I finally saw this movie. Mysterio was fucking perfect. I never thought I'd get a great adaption of him

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I just saw someone complain that Mysterio was awful because he uses CGI instead of practical effects for his illusions....

I'm done.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of nutcase would you need to be to think you can ignore the facts?

I saw Endgame again tonight, and based on crowd reactions most people there had no idea what was going to happen.

It's not that it ruins the movie when too much is known, but given the now massively connected universe, Marvel themselves are generally good about keeping a lot of things "a surprise." Sony is a different story, and the commercial I was referencing aired fairly soon after Endgame's release.

Anyway, it's just another common opinion that sometimes the overall experience can be better by knowing less. I'm fine either way, but I remain empathetic to those who aren't.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just like Venom isn't a standalone hero with no connection to Spider-Man...

Venom is an alien symbiote. It doesn't have to be connected to Spidey because it only became connected to him "by chance". You can jiggle it and they did.

You can't really get rid of Spidey in a movie about "a group of Spidey villains gang up on Spidey".

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I really hope they don't rush Miles into these movies
I really wonder what they do. I don't think they go ahead and kill Peter. The PS4 game atleast tries to set up them co-existing going forward, as opposed to the comics where that came after some Secret Wars universe-merging weirdness.

I'd rather they let Peter get to his mid-20's before bringing in Miles, like within a second MCU trilogy. The Spider-Verse movies will hopefully give that character plenty of time to shine as a dimension-hopper or something.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
My apologies. What I really want to say is that your personal concerns have no effect on the success of the film. As somebody who hasn't yet seen the film, I really appreciate the efforts to inform me about its contents. I want to know whether to watch the film, and the trailers play a part in that decision.

Please point to when I at any point stated that my concerns would have in impact on the success of the film? You have a penchant for responding to things I never said, and making valueless statements.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Please point to when I at any point stated that my concerns would have in impact on the success of the film? You have a penchant for responding to things I never said, and making valueless statements.

I'm not responding to your points, but rather clarifying my own which, to my regret, I seem to have consistently failed to communicate to you adequately.

The trailers are there to persuade people to go and see the film, and this is working splendidly, whatever personal reservations you may have. If you think Sony's marketing messed up, I suggest you think again.

Silly Buck

Oct 28, 2017
Venom is an alien symbiote. It doesn't have to be connected to Spidey because it only became connected to him "by chance". You can jiggle it and they did.

You can't really get rid of Spidey in a movie about "a group of Spidey villains gang up on Spidey".

Venom's entire look and movement choices are because of the symbiote learning from being with Peter, that was my biggest gripe about the Venom movie. To me the symbiote doesn't just decide to swing and run up walls because its a symbiote inherently.

But yes, you can't get rid of Spidey in a Sinister 6 movie. Heck I don't know why anyone would even want that...

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Venom's entire look and movement choices are because of the symbiote learning from being with Peter, that was my biggest gripe about the Venom movie. To me the symbiote doesn't just decide to swing and run up walls because its a symbiote inherently.

But yes, you can't get rid of Spidey in a Sinister 6 movie. Heck I don't know why anyone would even want that...

IIn their defence I don't think Venom did any "Spidey stuff" in the movie. It didn't even have the Spiderman logo on its chest. Obviously we know Sony really wants Tom Holland and Tom Hardy in a movie together, so who knows?

Maybe Spiderman will be in Venom 2 and it'll be a retelling of the usual Venom "origin" story but from the perspective of Eddie Brock trying to stop Cletus' rampage and temporarily losing Venom to Spidey. Then the third act is Spiderman and Venom vs Carnage.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it, I have a wild theory: EDITH was not actually built by Tony. This is not to say that Tony wouldn't be irresponsible to make such an device (he is Mr. invent first, ask questions later) but there are a bunch of small things that fill off.

First off, EDITH has no AI. EDITH is robotic and simplistic compared to any other Tony invention. Even his first robot could emote with how it moved it's arm. EDITH, on the other hand? Feels like an interface at best. Has no built in measures to prevent what happens in the movie to take place. No sarcasm or wit. It feels odd for a Tony AI.

Another point is how Peter gets those glasses. Fury appears out of nowhere, 8 months after Tony's death with a drone network tied to a glasses that look like what Tony wears. Why doesn't he give them in between those 8 months? And this is the guy who used a dead man's playing cards as a ploy to get people motivated. Whose to say that wasn't the plan here?

Finally the timing is off. There is a rather small window when Tony would have created such an invention and still have it make sense.

Like, this isn't to absolve Tony from blame but it really feels off. I think the drones are either Shield or Skrull tech that was pretended to be a gift from Tony as a way to both "protect the world" and to motivate Peter.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about it, I have a wild theory: EDITH was not actually built by Tony. This is not to say that Tony wouldn't be irresponsible to make such an device (he is Mr. invent first, ask questions later) but there are a bunch of small things that fill off.

First off, EDITH has no AI. EDITH is robotic and simplistic compared to any other Tony invention. Even his first robot could emote with how it moved it's arm. EDITH, on the other hand? Feels like an interface at best. Has no built in measures to prevent what happens in the movie to take place. No sarcasm or wit. It feels odd for a Tony AI.

Another point is how Peter gets those glasses. Fury appears out of nowhere, 8 months after Tony's death with a drone network tied to a glasses that look like what Tony wears. Why doesn't he give them in between those 8 months? And this is the guy who used a dead man's playing cards as a ploy to get people motivated. Whose to say that wasn't the plan here?

Finally the timing is off. There is a rather small window when Tony would have created such an invention and still have it make sense.

Like, this isn't to absolve Tony from blame but it really feels off. I think the drones are either Shield or Skrull tech that was pretended to be a gift from Tony as a way to both "protect the world" and to motivate Peter.

I could be mistaken but doesn't the satellite that launches the drones say Stark Industries on it?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just came back from it, those post credit scenes were the best one two punch in quite a while. Usually we only get one meaningful post credit and a jokey one, but both in this movie were meaty to say the least. Them bringing Simmons back made too much sense but I was still pleasantly surprised, glad I wasn't spoiled on that. I missed the F4 egg, but that's also really cool. There's so much potential in the MCU right now, with Fury leading SWORD as an obvious hint that things are going to get more cosmic.

I loved the movie in general (outside of that exposition heavy Mysterio toast, what a clunky scene), but the stingers were actually my favorite parts.

The Mysterio group with all the ties to Stark industries could be an integral part of Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers. Great how they that bald scientist (forgot his name) is an actual character now that could get an even bigger role in movies down the line.