• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Going to be the biggest PS4 exclusive until TLoU2.

The game obviously needs to be critically acclaimed. But that Spider-Man licence, the Sony and Marvel marketing, it's going to do huge numbers out of the gate.

Oct 26, 2017
California
Yep its a Sony exclusive thread. People are concerned.
It's pathetic lol.

Evolve and No Man's Sky were both "proof of concept" / "amazingly intriguing vision" games. They won based on the promise of delivering on their conceptual premises aka people saw in those games a ton of potential.

With Spider-Man:

We know (and love) the IP.
We know (and love) the developers, and know how good their track record is.
We've extended segments of the game in action, including some boss fighting.
We've seen the core mechanics praised and have heard various reports stating "it is the best SM game I've ever played."

But yeah, totally the same thing guys.

Find another concern.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going to be the biggest PS4 exclusive until TLoU2.

The game obviously needs to be critically acclaimed. But that Spider-Man licence, the Sony and Marvel marketing, it's going to do huge numbers out of the gate.
I think TLOU2 will be Sony's biggest game, then God of War and then Spider-Man.

The story of every major first party PS4 exclusive in this community after Uncharted 4.

The Last Guardian, Horizon, GoW(before the big impressions thread month or less before release), Detroit and now Spiderman. All of those pre release threads have been annoying to go through full of (fake?)concerns and doubts.
Don't forget Days Gone. Every thread is a mess. And it already started with Ghost of Tsushima, too.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War is a gamers game. But it doesn't have the mainstream profile of Uncharted - let alone Spider-Man.

Until uncharted 4 came out god of war was actually the bigger series and sony's biggest outside of gran turismo. 1-3 were juggernauts and then ascension sort of almost killed the IP but now the new one has brought it back to top again. We'll see if it passes UC4, I think it will eventually.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alanah Pearce new Spider-Man impressions including comparisons to the Arkham games.

THRUcool87

Jun 20, 2018
Definitely one of the best games this year though the fighting part looks familiar to me, Rocksteady already set a bar for superhero game, also don't forget that a new Superman game is not out yet.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
G1QHDhk.jpg

That's why they should stick to Sony!

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bruh I swear that was a mistake with my phone auto correcting me for some reason and I didn't even check my post properly before submitting. Apologies guys. I mean fuck I don't even know why it was auto correcting me with "white". Anyhow my niece loves Marvel characters and spider man is one of her favourite.
Spellcheck can be really shitty.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...

I thought the game's E3 2017 showing was DIRE. 2018 looked a bit better, but I'm holding out hope it doesn't have the Arkham problem where you have to go out of your way to look cool and use the different battle tactics but really it's in your best interests to interact only when you need to. And yes, I know this is the case for Arkham; I platinumed Asylum and City.

Really, the biggest concern for this game comes not from its showings, but Ratchet and Clank PS4. We can chalk it up to the movie tie-in, but it was still utterly devoid of witty writing and adequate substance for the game world and it doesn't do a whole lot of favors for me looking at this game. It seems like this game has been cooking a lot longer than Insomniac's normal stuff though so it gives me hope.

I can't stop saying hope, which is pretty indicative of where my unbridled excitement levels are at (very low).

you know e3 awards end up being meaningless right?

It's probably not meaningless for the developers when getting everything ready for E3 and delivering is like a mid-development mini crunch.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Extremely hyped for this, what people have praised isn't some scripted linear section of the game. Ppl have gone hands on with the open world and the traversal and combat mechanics, basic parts of the game that need to be excellent throughout the experience, and from the sounds of it they've nailed it. It still feels like there's so much we don't know and a lot of surprises in store, I can't wait!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I find it amusing that so many people are still so sceptical and cynical about this game. It's probably Insomniacs biggest project yet, with a big budget and one of the biggest franchises attached to it. And Insomniac is known for delivering with Sony-exclusives since PS1-days. This will be a fantastic game, I have no doubt. The awards are only another sign for that.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I find it amusing that so many people are still so sceptical and cynical about this game. It's probably Insomniacs biggest project yet, with a big budget and one of the biggest franchises attached to it. And Insomniac is known for delivering with Sony-exclusives since PS1-days. This will be a fantastic game, I have no doubt. The awards are only another sign for that.
You're surprised that people are being cynical and skeptical about a game on resetera.com, no matter how good it may look or what the track record of the devs is?

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Really, the biggest concern for this game comes not from its showings, but Ratchet and Clank PS4. We can chalk it up to the movie tie-in, but it was still utterly devoid of witty writing and adequate substance for the game world and it doesn't do a whole lot of favors for me looking at this game.

So if I have this correct:

The budget-priced movie-tie-in Ratchet & Clank game we made (which got an 85 metacritic and is the most successful Ratchet/Insomniac game of all time) is making you concerned about our biggest production ever?

;-)

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018

The budget-priced movie-tie-in Ratchet & Clank game we made (which got an 85 metacritic and is the most successful Ratchet/Insomniac game of all time) is making you concerned about our biggest production ever?

;-)

Please jstevenson tell me the other boss fight are more challange than the one you showed(it was really bad)

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

;-)

In terms of revenue or unit sales?

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
When was the last Spider-Man game we got? Spider-Man also have a better reach, I can understand why they chose him.

2014, with the ASM 2 film. Also better reach vs Ironman? Not really. The brunt of these sales will come from NA. And I think you miscalculate how far Spidey has fallen in the world due to Sony not just giving him back to Marvel. 3 bad films in a row, with a 4th that only did as well as it did due to Marvel.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Until uncharted 4 came out god of war was actually the bigger series and sony's biggest outside of gran turismo. 1-3 were juggernauts and then ascension sort of almost killed the IP but now the new one has brought it back to top again. We'll see if it passes UC4, I think it will eventually.
No Uncharted 3 was bigger than God of War 3 worldwide.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
2014, with the ASM 2 film. Also better reach vs Ironman? Not really. The brunt of these sales will come from NA. And I think you miscalculate how far Spidey has fallen in the world due to Sony not just giving him back to Marvel. 3 bad films in a row, with a 4th that only did as well as it did due to Marvel.
How many of those are actually AAA on the level of this one and are backed by a company like Sony though? Also how much do you think this will sell? It will have no problem clearing +10 million.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

;-)

I just wanted to say that I hope you can tune out some of the ridiculous stuff in this thread, unfortunately a loud minority can really make things seem miserable.

I'm extremely excited for this game and I'll be buying it day one! It's obvious you guys put in a ton of work on this and I hope it pays off for you!

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
How many of those are actually AAA on the level of this one and are backed by a company like Sony though? Also how much do you think this will sell? It will have no problem clearing +10 million.

Honestly I don't think a Spidey game has had a AAA budget since the early 2000s. Sales wise I'd say 12 million is the ceiling depending on reception. 85+ meta is a necessity though. Marketing could've done wonders too. Personally I'd delay this to 2019 and launch with Avengers. Bundle it too with movie tickets.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Honestly I don't think a Spidey game has had a AAA budget since the early 2000s. Sales wise I'd say 12 million is the ceiling depending on reception. 85+ meta is a necessity though. Marketing could've done wonders too. Personally I'd delay this to 2019 and launch with Avengers. Bundle it too with movie tickets.

Personally, you should stick to the crappy hot takes and leave the game making and release schedule's to the professionals.

Oct 25, 2017

;-)

Even if the metascore was good, I am not a contributor to the metascore. I am just some dude that played it. I didn't think it was nearly as good as the game it was remaking — it was just alright.

Like I said, I had reservations about comparing the two because Ratchet and Clank did feel really hampered by the movie tie-in, but regardless that's what you guys have put out most recently, and since I don't own an X1 to play SO (RIP) I think it's a valid point of trepidation.

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

;-)

steve, what is the overall feeling from you guys about working in a big AAA project like Spider?

Dunno if I'm right but Ratchet, Sunset or VR games are way smaller projects in comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the metascore was good, I am not a contributor to the metascore. I am just some dude that played it. I didn't think it was nearly as good as the game it was remaking — it was just alright.

Like I said, I had reservations about comparing the two because Ratchet and Clank did feel really hampered by the movie tie-in, but regardless that's what you guys have put out most recently, and since I don't own an X1 to play SO (RIP) I think it's a valid point of trepidation.
I think it being a budget priced movie tie-in says it all really. I don't think it is something that can just be disregarded. We've seen what they can do without being tied down (Crack in Time).

Edit - And the development time was short.

Last edited:

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Lol at that exaggerated skepticism from some users here....
And that after the glorious E3 praise.

Can't wair for the review thread and some salty hater tears :D

Oct 25, 2017
Is it the frame-rate and/or Ratchet's positive attitude that you don't like in the re-imagining?
While I do prefer 60 fps Ratchet, the last game that was 60 was in 2009. I'm over it.

My problems with the remake can be summed up:
- lack of interactions between Ratchet and Clank, and the cinematography in the scenes is all but shot-reverse shot every time
- Ratchet being a wide-eyed space ranger boy instead of the cynical asshole in a world of cynical assholes
- lack of a space capitalism bent and more just fantasy planet hopping
- some of my favorite planets like Eudora getting cut
- the soundtrack is HORRID

the game is alright but the above really soured me on Ratchet's return to form.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
You're saying it would be dumb to release a Spider-Man game along with the most anticipated superhero film in history? In which the character will also appear? ....ok. I'll stick to the hot takes.

They can sell the game on release date and run promotions for spiderman game when avengers releases in 2019, killing two birds with one stone. Please continue with your shitty hot takes.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
While I do prefer 60 fps Ratchet, the last game that was 60 was in 2009. I'm over it.

My problems with the remake can be summed up:
- lack of interactions between Ratchet and Clank, and the cinematography in the scenes is all but shot-reverse shot every time

Shot reverse shot in every scene? I haven't played the game recently but if what you say is true than I would agree with this point to an extent.

- Ratchet being a wide-eyed space ranger boy instead of the cynical asshole in a world of cynical assholes

I'm not fussed anymore. Reinventing old characters for current audience isn't out of the ordinary but I understand your disappintment.

- lack of a space capitalism bent and more just fantasy planet hopping

This I can agree with.

- some of my favorite planets like Eudora getting cut

Time and budget.

- the soundtrack is HORRID

Come on now.

the game is alright but the above really soured me on Ratchet's return to form.

Maybe they'll address some of your critism in the next game, I'm just hoping they make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.