• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! I went into the movie very lukewarm. I wasn't too keen on the animation style from the trailers and didn't really care about the story at all. I left the theater and have been raving about the movie since. It's a movie that everything just clicks perfectly and the parts come together to make an almost perfect whole.
This describes my experience to a tee. Been shouting from the rooftops about how great it is ever since.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
because if it shot her into last week, that event will happen again while she is there and shoot another gwen into last week. Understand? Thats why if that is the case, its bad writing. Thats why I think its the other way around. Where she came in from the previous event happening that the news report discussed while miles was in the car.

There won't be two Gwens last week because the Gwen that was there last week will now be in the present. That's how time works.

The movie outright refutes this, as well. Gwen specifically states she was thrown into last week. The reactor is established as pulling in people from other dimensions based on genetic samples or whatever. This is demonstrated when they raise the box the second time they activate the reactor to try and pull in Kingpin's family. The Spider-People were specifically pulled in because Goblin jammed Ultimate Spider-Man's face in the beam. The reactor being activated a week earlier and randomly pulling in Spider-Gwen at that time makes no sense, unless Pete was also sticking his face in that beam then, as well.

There was no previous activation of the reactor, some of the effects of the reactor being activated during the Spider-Man incident manifested a week ago, when Gwen showed up.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There won't be two Gwens last week because the Gwen that was there last week will now be in the present. That's how time works.

The movie outright refutes this, as well. Gwen specifically states she was thrown into last week. The reactor is established as pulling in people from other dimensions based on genetic samples or whatever. This is demonstrated when they raise the box the second time they activate the reactor to try and pull in Kingpin's family. The Spider-People were specifically pulled in because Goblin jammed Ultimate Spider-Man's face in the beam. The reactor being activated a week earlier and randomly pulling in Spider-Gwen at that time makes no sense, unless Pete was also sticking his face in that beam then, as well.

There was no previous activation of the reactor, some of the effects of the reactor being activated during the Spider-Man incident manifested a week ago, when Gwen showed up.

then its bad writing. Because even tho it pulled gwen a week prior, the event will happen again for gwen again which will then pull the another gwen a week prior, so on and so forth. Thats why "time travel" stuff in movies usually doesnt work well because it opens up a plot hole. If it Doesnt pull another gwen to a week earlier while gwen is there to experience it happening, then the current gwen should cease to exist. I dont understand how you cant grasp that simple concept. You talking specifics about the machine that happened prior is inaccurate. It showed a blackout situation exactly like what happened in the current time. And its when gwen would have came in. Thats when gwen came in.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
then its bad writing. Because even tho it pulled gwen a week prior, the event will happen again for gwen again which will then pull the another gwen a week prior, so on and so forth. Thats why "time travel" stuff in movies usually doesnt work well because it opens up a plot hole. If it Doesnt pull another gwen to a week earlier while gwen is there to experience it happening, then the current gwen should cease to exist. I dont understand how you cant grasp that simple concept. You talking specifics about the machine that happened prior is inaccurate. It showed a blackout situation exactly like what happened in the current time. And its when gwen would have came in. Thats when gwen came in.

The event only happens once. Gwen being there to observe it happening doesn't mean it happens a second time.

When she arrives, it's already happened - just a week from then.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The event only happens once. Gwen being there to observe it happening doesn't mean it happens a second time.

When she arrives, it's already happened - just a week from then.

dude, how are you not understanding this. If it is the way u say, the event will happen again for the gwen who was "transported back in time" which means another gwen would get transported back in time while shes there, thus 2 gwens. Thats how time travel works. I dont see how you arent grasping this simple concept.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one should even care, time travel is a broken mess every time it happens.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No one should even care, time travel is a broken mess every time it happens.

Doesnt change that if thats the case its still bad writing. To create a plot hole just for a meeting. I still think its
her coming in with the pervious blackout. Otherwise theres no reason to show a previous blackout that occurs the sametime gwen apparently arrives

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't it all depend on whatever stupid theory anyway?
Gwen being sent back in time a week and there being only one Gwen is perfectly believable to me. Gwen exists in Miles' universe because in the future, she's sent back in time and into his universe.
I try not to think about it because then it just gets dumb.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody seeing any nice big posters for this yet? Want to get one.

No, but my very brief search did find this bad boy (actually a comic cover):

https://www.allposters.com/-sp/Edge...4154916_.htm?upi=PY879O0&PODConfigID=10577378
u-g-PY879O0.jpg

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't it all depend on whatever stupid theory anyway?
Gwen being sent back in time a week and there being only one Gwen is perfectly believable to me. Gwen exists in Miles' universe because in the future, she's sent back in time and into his universe.
I try not to think about it because then it just gets dumb.

if you're sent back in time, regardless of universes, once the time approaches where the moment happens where you are sent back in time, if you arent sent back in time again, then your current self ceases to exist. This is regardless of a universe. This isnt a hard concept to understand

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
dude, how are you not understanding this. If it is the way u say, the event will happen again for the gwen who was "transported back in time" which means another gwen would get transported back in time while shes there, thus 2 gwens. Thats how time travel works. I dont see how you arent grasping this simple concept.

It's not "happening again", though

Say I walk past a horse in a field, and the horse takes a crap. Then, I travel back in time and walk past the horse again. Again, it takes a crap. Just because I saw it crap twice doesn't mean there are two piles of crap.

Gwen's perspective doesn't define reality.

if you're sent back in time, regardless of universes, once the time approaches where the moment happens where you are sent back in time, if you arent sent back in time again, then your current self ceases to exist. This is regardless of a universe. This isnt a hard concept to understand

The Gwen that observes the reactor going off doesn't need to be sent back in time. She's not the one who goes back in time. She's observing the moment when she was pulled from her own dimension and sent back a week in time.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Time travel can be just another possibility in an ocean of possibilities. Whatever happens won't affect her regardless other than her not belonging in Mile's dimension.

Last edited:

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not "happening again", though
Say I walk past a horse in a field, and the horse takes a crap. Then, I travel back in time and walk past the horse again. Again, it takes a crap. Just because I saw it crap twice doesn't mean there are two piles of crap.

Gwen's perspective doesn't define reality.

The Gwen that observes the reactor going off doesn't need to be sent back in time. She's not the one who goes back in time. She's observing the moment when she was pulled from her own dimension and sent back a week in time.

Right, but shes sent back a week in time due to what happened to miles that day right? Then we go a week ahead and that event happens again. If gwen isnt sent back in time again while that same event is happening again, she ceases to exist. Your other example, doesnt make sense to this scenario.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Into The Spider-Verse score now available on your fav platform. It released today, while the soundtrack (featuring songs such as Sunflower, etc.) Has already been out several days.

Hmm, if there is a way to spoiler tag embedded Spotify albums I couldn't get it to work. So here's a non-embedded link, in case anyone is scared of spoilers in the track titles:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5KP2NReDL2Bv0QLzHSvUwM
looking forward to ruining my spotify daily playlists by listening to this all week and making spotify think i want random movie scores

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if we wanna go with that concept, thats fine. Its still stupid and bad writing imo cause its existence is only
to set up miles meeting gwen earlier which is weak. Throwing time travel but then being like "but it wont dupicate the situation because of reasons", just so gwen and miles can meet a week early is dumb.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Even with all the praise and anticipation, this movie delivered. A+.

yep, this is one of the few movies where ive seen the high tomatoescore/rating, been like "holy shit, this thing is going to be something", and have it actually live up to that when i went to the theater

i rarely get blown away by a movie's visuals outside of just great photography, you can do anything you want in computers these days so most of it just isn't very impressive, but this movie completely floored, had a blast

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Right, but shes sent back a week in time due to what happened to miles that day right? Then we go a week ahead and that event happens again. If gwen isnt sent back in time again while that same event is happening again, she ceases to exist. Your other example, doesnt make sense to this scenario.

1. The event doesn't happen "again". By definition, it has already happened because she's already spent a week in Miles's dimension.
  2. Gwen doesn't need to be sent back in time "again" because the Gwen that is sent back in time isn't the Gwen that has spent a week in Miles's dimension. The Gwen who needs to be sent back in time is currently in her own dimension until exactly the point she needs to be.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  1. The event doesn't happen "again". By definition, it has already happened because she's already spent a week in Miles's dimension.
  2. Gwen doesn't need to be sent back in time "again" because the Gwen that is sent back in time isn't the Gwen that has spent a week in Miles's dimension. The Gwen who needs to be sent back in time is currently in her own dimension until exactly the point she needs to be.

didnt say she needed to be. But its pretty simple. I mean its time travel. I dont know any other ways to really explain why there would be 2 gwens in that universe at after the "event" as I explained it in multiple different ways already. I tottally get what you're trying to say and add these extra specific rules to dejustify any logic. But that just makes it bad writing and stupid imo.

Last edited:

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I finally saw this movie over the weekend. Absolutely phenomenal. Easily the best Spider-Man movie ever, and it's not even close. Everything about this movie is literally almost perfect to me. It's dripping with style from the studio logos in the beginning to the very last frame.

This movie absolutely deserves any and all praise and fame it can get.

The post-credits scene is actually my favorite scene in literally every superhero movie.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
didnt say she needed to be. But its pretty simple. I mean its time travel. I dont know any other ways to really explain why there would be 2 gwens in that universe at after the "event." I tottally get what you're trying to say and add these extra specific rules to dejustify any logic. But that just makes it bad writing and stupid imo.
Think of it this way: she didn't travel back in time, but rather her dimension is simply a week ahead of Peter B. Parker's and Miles Morales's. No second event had to happen, it's just that she ended up "back" in time relative to Miles and Peter.

Or something. Not saying that's the answer, but I am saying there are tons of ways to travel into the past without breaking continuity or ending up with duplicates. Not that the film ever tried to explain it. Not every instance of time travel has to have a rigid set of rules applied to it, or even be explained at all. And deciding to not waste time explaining the rules of something that happens once and is in no way a major component in the story isn't bad writing, it's smart writing.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I finally saw this movie over the weekend. Absolutely phenomenal. Easily the best Spider-Man movie ever, and it's not even close. Everything about this movie is literally almost perfect to me. It's dripping with style from the studio logos in the beginning to the very last frame.

This movie absolutely deserves any and all praise and fame it can get.

The post-credits scene is actually my favorite scene in literally every superhero movie.

Yeah, when those retro logos glitched on at the beginning I said out loud, "I'm loving this already." And as I sat through the credits I half-wanted to watch it again right away. This deserves to be seen on a giant screen with an audience.

Edit: the lack of an open spoiler thread has become untenable, seriously.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yQUOTE="F2BBm3ga, post: 16054635, member: 1782"]
[/QUOTE]

Timeline goes like

Gwen sent back two weeks to Mile's world from her world -> Gwen goes back home

There is no room for two Gwen, because she then is sent back to 2 weeks later in her timeline. It's strictly linear, she's just changing places in universes basically

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Think of it this way: she didn't travel back in time, but rather her dimension is simply a week ahead of Peter B. Parker's and Miles Morales's. No second event had to happen, it's just that she ended up "back" in time relative to Miles and Peter.

Or something. Not saying that's the answer, but I am saying there are tons of ways to travel into the past without breaking continuity or ending up with duplicates. Not that the film ever tried to explain it. Not every instance of time travel has to have a rigid set of rules applied to it, or even be explained at all. And deciding to not waste time explaining the rules of something that happens once and is in no way a major component in the story isn't bad writing, it's smart writing.

Thats your opinion, my opinion is its stupid if thats the case, and bad writing cause its still a plot hole that needs creative justification where there was nothing to justify it except a defense force on resetera. I still think the reference in the car which everyone wants to fucking ignore is the gwen shit. But whatever.

yQUOTE="F2BBm3ga, post: 16054635, member: 1782"]

Timeline goes like

Gwen sent back two weeks to Mile's world from her world -> Gwen goes back home

There is no room for two Gwen, because she then is sent back to 2 weeks later in her timeline. It's strictly linear, she's just changing places in universes basically

The poster who I qouted above you just now, gets what im saying. You dont. The end

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats your opinion, my opinion is its stupid if thats the case, and bad writing cause its still a plot hole that needs creative justification where there was nothing to justify it except a defense force on resetera. I still think the reference in the car which everyone wants to fucking ignore is the gwen shit. But whatever.

The poster who I qouted above you just now, gets what im saying. You dont. The end

THE END...OR IS IT?

They basically said the same shit my main man with a fancy pan attitude sure sam

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California

Pretty easy to understand.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's truly a super hero movie thread now that we've got dozens of posts and several pages going back and forth over some tiny ancillary aspect of this film.

Last edited:

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
2 issues I had with the movie

I feel like I had to have missed this one, but do we have any idea why the uncle was a bad guy trying to help Kingpen in the first place?

And a smaller thing, but anime spidey never got to do anything cool. Also that sad moment at the end for her was kinda confusing to me. So is the robot like its own being? I thought it was the spider controlling some of the expressiveness of the robot. At the end I thought the spider had died, but the spider ended up being fine. Not that it doesnt make sense to be sad at the loss of a created robot suit but I thought the implications were gonna be more serious with how the scene was set up.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
It's truly a super hero movie thread now that we've got dozens of posts and several pages going back and forth over some tiny ancillary aspect of this film.

Yeap. It's the first time there was something menacing. Last time I felt that way was with Heath Ledger's joker. And this film only had the prowler for a fraction of the running time.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
THE END...OR IS IT?

They basically said the same shit my main man with a fancy pan attitude sure sam

You're trying to explain it to me like I dont get that explantion, when In fact, I do. but im saying something else that you arent getting. The poster above saw where I was coming from with it. Doesnt change my opinion on that idea tho

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Going to see it again later this week hopefully. Hell I could go for a third round in theaters too, and I rarely see movies in theaters more than once.

The villains were so menacing. Like the Prowler's entrance was just constantly threatening from beginning to end. Such a great job.

Yeah, I really liked the Prowler and I think they did a great job with

Doctor Octopus. That was such a nice surprise, and I like her design.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

IT'S NOT!

F2BBm3ga, look at this:

gwentravel.jpg

This is Gwen's personal timeline. She moves through time in her own dimension until the event, at which point she both shifts dimensions and goes back a week, to before the event happened. She then spends the week in Miles's dimension, at which point she catches up to the event.

Gwen technically exists in both dimensions for the week-long period before the event, but this is still her "main" timeline. At no point are there required to be multiple Gwens in Miles's dimension, and there is no additive effect that would result in a pile of Gwens somewhere.

Gwen intersects with the event twice - once when she is moved through time and dimensions, and again when she's there for it actually happening. She is only affected in the first instance, though, and only observes the second. Her personal timeline never overlaps in the same dimension, and after her initial intersection with the event she is no longer required to time travel.

Pros:
  • Gwen flat-out says this is what happened.
  • The reactor pulls people from alternate dimensions based on a sample, and the Spider-Man sample was only provided during the event.
  • The co-director of the movie flat-out says this is what happened.
  • The stuff that happened a week before the event could be construed as fallout from Gwen arriving.
  • We're never explicitly told when the other Spiders arrive - they could have also arrived in a staggered timeline.
Cons:
  • You don't understand what happened and think it's bad writing, so you're substituting your own explanation despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, aside from Ledger's Joker, the Prowler is probably the most terrifying villain in any comic book film. You could feel the tension in the room every time he showed up.
Shit, even the fake-out with Parker in the cemetery was a bit edge of your seat for a second there.

I feel like I had to have missed this one, but do we have any idea why the uncle was a bad guy trying to help Kingpen in the first place?

And a smaller thing, but anime spidey never got to do anything cool. Also that sad moment at the end for her was kinda confusing to me. So is the robot like its own being? I thought it was the spider controlling some of the expressiveness of the robot. At the end I thought the spider had died, but the spider ended up being fine. Not that it doesnt make sense to be sad at the loss of a created robot suit but I thought the implications were gonna be more serious with how the scene was set up.
Miles's dad and uncle both ran with Kingpin in the past. Miles's dad quit, while his uncle didn't. At least that's what I understand from the character bio's and what little I know of the comics.

As for the not enough action for Peni I agree. None of the non Peter/Gwen/Miles characters got much screen time, so they definitely came off very one note. Great for a laugh, but not much else. Thinking on it, that's probably my biggest problem with the film. I don't mind it too much though since the rest of the film is so top notch and they were pretty funny to boot.

Last edited:

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Think about it this way, would you have needed an explanation if the uncle was just a random gang member? It's like that, but he has a costume and gadgets.

Peni mentioned in her backstory that the robot was her father's final creation. As for impressive moments, she did fix the MacGuffin herself (when the other Spideys couldn't) and she did swing the robot leg herself during her last fight. But yeah, she didn't get a big showcase of her abilities like Spider-Ham, which is a shame.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IT'S NOT!

F2BBm3ga, look at this:

gwentravel.jpg

This is Gwen's personal timeline. She moves through time in her own dimension until the event, at which point she both shifts dimensions and goes back a week, to before the event happened. She then spends the week in Miles's dimension, at which point she catches up to the event.

Gwen technically exists in both dimensions for the week-long period before the event, but this is still her "main" timeline. At no point are there required to be multiple Gwens in Miles's dimension, and there is no additive effect that would result in a pile of Gwens somewhere.

Gwen intersects with the event twice - once when she is moved through time and dimensions, and again when she's there for it actually happening. She is only affected in the first instance, though, and only observes the second. Her personal timeline never overlaps in the same dimension, and after her initial intersection with the event she is no longer required to time travel.

Pros:
  • Gwen flat-out says this is what happened.
  • The reactor pulls people from alternate dimensions based on a sample, and the Spider-Man sample was only provided during the event.
  • The co-director of the movie flat-out says this is what happened.
  • The stuff that happened a week before the event could be construed as fallout from Gwen arriving.
  • We're never explicitly told when the other Spiders arrive - they could have also arrived in a staggered timeline.
Cons:
  • You don't understand what happened and think it's bad writing, so you're substituting your own explanation despite all the evidence to the contrary.
I dunno it seems like time would continue normally in her dimmension andshe was only sent 2 weeks back in miles. Wth knows how time works in Gwenn's verse.

Maybe I misunderstand but eh

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
The score is so good. There's a lot of themes I didn't even notice in the movie. This is a good excuse to watch it again.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
What did

Scorpion say to Miles in Spanish during the fight inside Aunt May's house and what was his response?

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
What an exhilarating film! Watching everything sync for Miles and seeing his skills come together resulted in one of my favorite comic book movie sequences ever. I loved all the Spider-Peeps. Spider-Gwen reminded me of a young employee I was chosen to mentor. Even down to the hair and mannerisms, no joke! She grew to be quicker, smarter, harder working, and a better engineer than I ever was and it filled me with pride. I imagine that's how Peter must've felt when he saw Miles in the final act. And as an old fella myself who grew up with Peter, I really felt for him at times too. I can't wait to see this movie again.