• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
So does it look better than the DMC 5 SE performance RT-Mode? That one looked blurry as all hell on my 50" 4K TV

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Time to light the Digital Foundry signal. The guys have their work cut out for them this gen.
That's really exciting news though I'll check it out later.

Man, I cant even imagine the time and effort it takes to review, edit and put up these videos. Massive props to those guys. Legit hope they're taking care of themselves, stuff like this can cause a burnout.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
What is the point in even playing games at launch anymore. Wait a few months and you're rewarded with a bevy of improvements in most cases.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Got side tracked with Demon's Souls, but I'm going to have to dive back in to see how this looks. Good stuff, Insomniac.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
FIDELITY

Z.png

PERFORMANCE RT

Z.png

bubblegumcorp

Jul 29, 2020
Demon's Souls uses the same temporal injection technique as Insomniac (see their DF interview with Digital Foundry). They just don't have DRS as well, so whilst Spiderman-Man can go above 1440p in performance mode, DS is locked there.
Then I guess MM's aesthetic lends better to resolution drops, because even in fidelity, the game has a soft filmic look. This console gen has barely started and is already giving us results like those two games. These devices are amazing for the price.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing!
I want something like this in more games, a 1080p/60fps mode with great graphics.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do you think games could have RT that scales bases on proximity? Much like LOD? So if spidey is sat on a pane of reflective glass you get the best looking RT...but if your're swinging around it dials back to not showing pedestrian shadows and lowers it's resolution.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Great for everyone, but I will still stick with quality.

Their native 4K is the most impressive 4K I've ever seen and the first time I really thought 4K does make a huge difference. It's so natively crystal clear, it impresses me so much.

But great that they worked on something.

Now I would have some more important quality of life improvement ideas like finally adding a chromatic aberration toggle to the photo mode, since, I don't mind it actually, but it always stays activated even in photo mode which ruins a lot of photos so I had to deactivate it completely in the end, but I have no idea how to get this to Insomniac. 😅

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What is the point in even playing games at launch anymore. Wait a few months and you're rewarded with a bevy of improvements in most cases.

The best cases of this is when a game is "exclusive" to a platform. Has a bunch of technical issues and then ends up releasing on other platforms later all fixed with extras... It's like that first version was the beta test or something 😂

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Just another reason to hold off on buying games this generation. Could be worth it to experience some great benefits devs work to bring post-launch, plus probably saving a little money.

I enjoyed my time with this game. Got the platinum. Played my first run, the majority of my time, primarily in Performance mode. Played the NG+ in Fidelity mode and, except for the initial start or if I swapped back to Performance mode to see how different it was, I don't know if I can say I really disliked Fidelity mode. Having the ray-tracing and enhanced lighting really did make a difference in my experience.

After playing through the campaign with both modes, I'm as torn on them as I was before the game launched when I was unsure which mode to play on.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
There is no point for most games others than you wanting to play on release day. But most games are better or more content rich within a year or first 6 months.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried it. For me it's definitely more than 1080p. I usually hate 1080p due to softness. It's quite crisp
I will be wrong for for me it looks like fidelity is 4k. Performance 1600-1800 (which looks same as 4k) and this 1200-1400? Anyway. 60fps and raytracing. A god send
Update Spider-Man remaster plz !

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
From those comparisons seems like the resolution dropped a good amount for it. I'm guessing it's not as noticeable when swinging around anyway.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
I'm sure they'll update Spider-Man Remastered too, I mean they're running the same engine and everything.

Insomniac are ridiculous though. Getting this and SM:Remastered out for launch, 2 years after Spider-Man 2018, with Rift Apart also around the corner, plus still having the time to update this game with requested QoL features plus apparently also starting on the full Spider-Man sequel. How can one studio (technically two studios I know, but still) do so much?

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's unexpected. I was so torn between performance and quality mode. Now? Have to retry it right away.
Insomniac are amazing. Their support for games is something else.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
What the hell!? This gen is going to be insane if we already have 60fps raytracing in huge open worlds on (basically) day 1. Insane and amazing, thanks Insomniac.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
So, if I understand this correctly - Performance is 4K and no RT @ 60fps, Performance is Dynamic, less pedestrians and RT @ 60fps?

The text says that other than RT, Fidelity mode has other graphical improvements, I wonder what those are and if they are present in Performance RT.

(Haven't tried any of this, I will check it out tonight).

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
One more good looking graphics mode.
That will help me plenty in finding my preferred mode.

jk, props to them for patching that in.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Tried it. For me it's definitely more than 1080p. I usually hate 1080p due to softness. It's quite crisp
I will be wrong for for me it looks like fidelity is 4k. Performance 1600-1800 (which looks same as 4k) and this 1200-1400? Anyway. 60fps and raytracing. A god send
Update Spider-Man remaster plz !
I wonder if they were experimenting with it and their temporal injection with the lower render that's pretty neat to hear looking forward to seeing what DF or others may say about it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Alright been testing it out.

Effectively it's dark magic, it looks roughly the same in motion, I tested it from my couch and pc monitor.

It seems LOD and draw distance was also tweaked to lower settings, but it's just a nitpick, definitely worthy compromise to get 60 fps.

I'm not sure it holds 60 as well as the default performance mode, but overall it's great.

It looks super solid, Spider-man still has reflections. Even his helmet still has RT. The dynamic effects still show up in reflections, I'm pretty happy.

PqeWAjc.png

fKjeFFU.jpg

The IQ remains immaculate so it definitely either is higher than 1080p or they're using the best AA solution on the market.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's great that they do this but then when lots of people have already finished the game, it must kind of suck to know you beat it and didn't get the best experience possible.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah with this mode added, i think there are no ps5 games i am playing at 30fps anymore.
it will be difficult to go back to it, when some demanding games late in gen runs at 30

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried more. Day and night. Insomniac are wizards. It's 100% more than 1080. Beside some shimmering far away it's quite crisp. Damn

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm sure they'll update Spider-Man Remastered too, I mean they're running the same engine and everything.

Insomniac are ridiculous though. Getting this and SM:Remastered out for launch, 2 years after Spider-Man 2018, with Rift Apart also around the corner, plus still having the time to update this game with requested QoL features plus apparently also starting on the full Spider-Man sequel. How can one studio (technically two studios I know, but still) do so much?
I assume they named their studio insomniac for a reason?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Obligatory:
cutting_edge.png

You've always been better off waiting. More content via DLC/expansions, in a more stable game, at a fraction of the price. But you'll never get to participate in Era's enlightening hype-thruster OTs ever again.