• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
image.png

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if TLOU could have cleared a mil if the game had launched in the state it is now. Probably left $20 mil on the table to launch 6 weeks sooner.

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing a game that was originally released in 2018 (Spider-Man) vs 2013 (TLoU1) and has had multiple releases across console generations, just seems like there would be less interest in TLoU1 in general. It would be more interesting to see how TLoU2 could do on PC.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's interesting to compare these numbers to SteamDB's estimates. Playtracker seems to be the most reliable source, and TLOU probably got a disproportionate amount of reviews due to how broken it was.

image.png

image.png

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
PC TLOU would have done at least double that if the port wasn't such a disaster. I hope whoever at ND or WWS signed off on releasing in that state to try to get it close to the TV show is regretting that decision hard.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
I preordered TLOU thinking it would be a great port because it's Naughty Dog. Regret it but couldn't refund. Definitely not getting TLOU2 at launch if they do a port of it, I'll wait for impressions first.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
TLOU1 deserved to sell even less. After getting some time with it across three completely different test systems, I think it's barely in a sellable state *now*, let alone in the weeks after launch. I try not to be too jaded, but I have zero doubt they knowingly shoved it out the door in a bad state to maximize on the HBO series' halo effect. I'm not gonna forget that any time soon.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would have been there day one for Last of Us if it weren't an absolute pile of shit of a port. Now I just don't know that I even care to grab it on sale down the line.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
TLOU fell out of the Steam top sellers pretty quickly once all the issues starting surfacing. I wonder how it would have done if it was a decent port

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Naughty Dog and whoever was responsible for forcing The Last of Us Part I PC to release the state of it at launch had already made their bed.

Deservingly with that Metacritic for their portfolio. 🙄

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
If you launch with the game in a bad state it will suffer long term. Do not understand why companies are releasing games unfinished snd saying "we'll fix it later". Just take your time and finish the game.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing a game that was originally released in 2018 (Spider-Man) vs 2013 (TLoU1) and has had multiple releases across console generations, just seems like there would be less interest in TLoU1 in general. It would be more interesting to see how TLoU2 could do on PC.
Tlou port was total shit at launch, so that might have something to do with it.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
TLoU was disastrous, I hope most of those sold copies ended up refunded because that trash was broken.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I think that if they had just ported the 2014 remastered, I (maybe incorrectly) assume they'd have an easier time porting it as a PS4 game with potentially much lower hardware requirements, then it might have sold more than the new remaster did on PS5. Coulda charged ÂŁ60 for it still I bet too.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If you launch with the game in a bad state it will suffer long term. Do not understand why companies are releasing games unfinished snd saying "we'll fix it later". Just take your time and finish the game.
They were coattailing the HBO Show success hastily & as soon as possible while it's still fresh & warm.

And this was coming from the same studio that said Sony gave them freedom & time for release date to ensure polished products.

But apparently didn't apply here.

Quality assurance be damned & really unprofessional from their part, in my opinion. 🙄🤷

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
$34 and $40 per game sold is really low as is the total revenue (and that's 2 of their 3 biggest IPs). I mean they are probably making a bit of money (not much because of dev costs) but it's insignificant compared to what they make on PS4/5 between games and services.

But at least Valve must be very happy to make easy money on those Playstation games.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
$34 and $40 per game sold is really low as is the total revenue (and that's 2 of their 3 biggest IPs). I mean they are probably making a bit of money (not much because of dev costs) but it's insignificant compared to what they make on PS4/5 between games and services.

But at least Valve must be very happy to make easy money on those Playstation games.
Valve and other sellers take a cut and wouldnt be part of their revenue shown.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Sony looks at it as growth. Any growth is good growth.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It might be worth noting that AMD are bundling The Last of Us with basically all of their current and previous generation GPUs right now, and have been doing so since March.

lastofusbundlemeef6.png

If those are counted as sales, that could explain the numbers.
I believe it was also supposed to end in mid-April but has been extended and is still running.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
They've gotta be making good money on this, can't imagine porting these games nowadays is more than a couple mil.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021

After a certain threshold of revenue, valve lowers 30% cut. I'd imagine Spider-Man made that cut pretty quickly

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Not at the cost of IP devaluation. That's long term potential problems.

Do you mean IP devaluation or Playstation branding devaluation? Because being available on PC doesn't devalue the IP of the games themselves. I guess one could posit that it devalues the point of having a Playstation, though that has yet to be proven. The games themselves aren't devalued at all (aside from terrible ports), the reach is most likely broader and if the games are good, drives more people to want to purchase the sequels, microtransactions, or pan-media content.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Honestly the Part I PC port doesn't deserve that many sales, not until it is completely fixed. What an embarrassing release that was.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
It might be worth noting that AMD are bundling The Last of Us with basically all of their current and previous generation GPUs right now, and have been doing so since March.

lastofusbundlemeef6.png

If those are counted as sales, that could explain the numbers.
I believe it was also supposed to end in mid-April but has been extended and is still running.

It's not counted, at least from dividing revenue by total copies sold:

$15.5M/368k = $42 per copy.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
TLoU PC port was shit. But the sales numbers are for less than a month.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I wonder if TLOU could have cleared a mil if the game had launched in the state it is now. Probably left $20 mil on the table to launch 6 weeks sooner.
Ehh, there was a lot of hype around Spider-Man and it was only a couple years removed from the PS4 release. TLOU was still originally a PS3 release, so I think a lot of PC gamers had played it already. That's where I'm at, I'll eventually play it again but I'm waiting for it to be super cheap before I buy it again where I bought Spider-Man at full price because I was excited to play it.