• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
There's this one really special Spider-Man game out there that I've loved since childhood. Spider-Man: Web of Shadows. I enjoyed everything about this game. The storyline, combat, cameos of other Marvel characters, gameplay, open world New York. Being able to switch from normal Spider-Man to symbiote Spider-Man was awesome aswell. The boss fights in Web of Shadows were well done too. The combat is fun and engaging. Venom was a cool villain. If this game ever got remastered for current gen, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Honestly Web of Shadows might be my favorite Spider-Man game of all time. Yes even over Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man. I have fond memories of playing this game all the time. Sucks that Web of Shadows 2 was cancelled.

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I loved it too. Don't no that I would ever take the time to replay it but I enjoyed it a lot.
Was unaware a sequel was planned.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Flawed sure but I did like it alot. My top 3 are Insomiac's Spidey, Spiderman 2 and this one

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
I played it, but I don't remember much about it.

Ultimate Spider-Man is my favorite for that era of Spidey games.

Last edited:

Henrayuh

Oct 15, 2019
Put in so many hours into that game. I agree with some it had some flaws but it was still a great game.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
It had the best combat of any spider-game. It really made you feel like you were an acrobatic crazy dude with all the combos and shit. The map spanning bosses were also pretty crazy too.

The voice acting was a definition of mixed bag though. For some reason most characters like Black Cat and Wolverine had their regular voices but Spider-Man himself had this fucking nobody voicing him lol.

Web Swinging was the best there too

edit: and man, did I enjoy a replay after playing Insomniac's spider-man which was good but it also felt it also had a lot of things that were there because "triple A games have to have this"

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's got just... the worst voice acting ever. It's fun, but holy crap, I had to turn the voices off, they're so bad.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It really wasn't, people look back on that game with heavy rose-tinted glasses.

It had cool ideas, but was a bit of a mess

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was way better than people at the time said, but still not very good. Had some interesting ideas, but major tonal issues and repetitive combat and encounters/boss fights

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The DS version is really great. Quite fun.
341254-spider-man-web-of-shadows-nintendo-ds-screenshot-swinging.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
why are people on a liking bad shit kick lately, with this, the star wars prequels, zack snyder..

Hmm it's almost like people have different opinions and no entertainment thing is actually objectively bad. You don't get to tell me what game or movie is bad or good. I'll decide for myself.

Revolutionary right?

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Loved it, granted idk how I'd feel if I played it today. Just was awesome combat imo, loved how you could just switch to the venom suit with a button. I really loved all the Marvel cameos though, that's one thing I wanted in the new game.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I loved this game. Played through it 3 times. Fun combat, swinging felt pretty good. I loved the focus on staying aerial during fights.

You can also rip Wolverine in half.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has the best combat of any spiderman game. I adore web of shadows, even the stupid as fuck story. The symbiote wolverine fight with the destructible church wallks was awesome

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This is the one where Luke Cage reminds you how to be Spider-Man, and Wolverine asks you trivia questions during a battle?

Yeah, no.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
It had great airborne combat, but that's about all I can give it. The Symbiote having its own dedicated moveset was also really cool.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It feels janky as hell, and had tons of bugs, awful cutscene direction, mediocre voice acting.... But God that combat and swinging was awesome.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Web of Shadows is still the BEST Spider-Man game. The combat was really good and they did an excellent job of integrating the dichotomy between the symbiote suit and classic suit into the morality system and gameplay. One of the few games I've done a bad play though as my first.

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Web of Shadows is still the BEST Spider-Man game. The combat was really good and they did an excellent job of integrating the dichotomy between the symbiote suit and classic suit into the morality system and gameplay. One of the few games I've done a bad play though as my first.

I applaud you for your bravery.

I still think WOS has the best "interactive" web slinging. Spiderman PS4 streamlined alot of animations to give a more cinematic feel, but I was able to manually input many of those stunts and acrobatics by myself. Running up the wall for example is much more fun in Web of Shadows.

The ground combat is ambitious yet rough at the same time. I really really like the triangle button air juggling, and you were rewarded with cool animations after proper input timing. The fights just never felt "weighty". Spiderman PS4 wins that hands down.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The voice acting actually killed it for me. If Spider-Man's voice is physically painful to listen to then it's going to be a problem in a Spider-Man video game. The writing was bad and the mission design wasn't very good. The combat was definitely the strongest aspect of the game. The swinging was alright but it was really sloppy with webs just kind of floating five feet to the side of buildings instead of actually attaching to them. It was cool being able to swap between the normal suit and the black suit but the choice system was as basic as it gets. Really, the only fully fleshed out aspect of that system was the combat. At least the black suit choices led to some incredible acting scenes though.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
I worked on Spider-Man Web of Shadows for the Wii as the Lead UI designer. It was my first game I worked on as an artist. Development was split between two teams, Shaba Games and Treyarch. Shaba was the lead for both the 360 and PS3 version of the game while Treyarch spent most of their time on the wii version and also helped out with some of the level designs for the 360 and PS3. As I recall a different company took care of the PS2, DS and PSP ports. The Wii port of the game was semi amazing in the sense we were able to downgrade and squeeze the 360/PS3 open worldness on to the system. The Wii team was semi limited to what we could do so we tried to have some fun with the animations among a few other hidden things that the 360 and PS3 didn't have, for example on the Wii version of the game you could select multiple Spider-man costumes that you couldn't get on the 360 or PS3 (they were just new textures it was pretty much cosmetic ). Also all of the Wii cut scenes were pre-renders of the 360/PS3 cut scenes. One of the more Hilarious sequences for me was the part where Wolverine is questioning spider-man and you have to make answer selections also I think the guy we hired to play Spider-man was also Tidus in FFX (some correct me if Imma wrong here).

Bonus pic and fact everyone on the wii team got a really neat hoodie that was mainly for the Treyarch team, although I think we gave a couple of them out to a few people as well.

GHrWUdd.png

Last edited: