• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Halo_TV_1920x1080.0.png

Master Chief will be a "lead character" in Showtime's upcoming Halo TV series, Showtime President of Programming Gary Levine tells IGN. The series is such an enormous undertaking, the premium cable network is aiming to air the series in 2020.

"It is a very different genre, it's futuristic, space-based science fiction, it's not fantasy," Nevins pointed out. "It took us a long time to get the script but we felt like we had something that was really interesting and felt like it belonged on Showtime in terms of its character depth, and it's gonna be a big show."

"We made a conscious decision to hire a writer not known for sci-fi and not known for big battle movies, because that's already baked into the Halo franchise and we will service that, but we also wanted to ensure that we were getting beneath the formidable armor of the Spartans and really getting inside the team drama so it felt like it belonged on Showtime," Levine added. "As David said, our hopes and dreams are that it will have enormous appeal to Halo fans and will also appeal to Showtime drama fans."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/06/showtime-halo-tv-series-master-chief-lead-character

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That just seems like a bad idea. The Chief is barely a character, and having the protagonist be a guy who's always behind a mask 24/7 means there's not going to be that much drama to it.

If he's just a character, that's one thing, but he shouldn't be the focus.

OP
OP
Klobrille

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That just seems like a bad idea. The Chief is barely a character, and having the protagonist be a guy who's always behind a mask 24/7 means there's not going to be that much drama to it.

Nah. Halo is Master Chief.

Also:
"We made a conscious decision to hire a writer not known for sci-fi and not known for big battle movies, because that's already baked into the Halo franchise and we will service that, but we also wanted to ensure that we were getting beneath the formidable armor of the Spartans and really getting inside the team drama so it felt like it belonged on Showtime," Levine added. "As David said, our hopes and dreams are that it will have enormous appeal to Halo fans and will also appeal to Showtime drama fans."

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017

He's actually a fairly interesting character in the books with a lot more backstory than we're ever presented in the games. I could see it working.

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like it's 10 years too late.

It shouldn't have taken near this long to get it off the ground. Wasn't Peter Jackson involved at some point early on?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He's actually a fairly interesting character in the books with a lot more backstory than we're ever presented in the games. I could see it working.

Yeah, I've read one or two of the books. It's just really hard to see that in the games, considering his only real character presence in those is making bland quips and occasionally saying Cortana's name. And it'll be even harder to do that in live action, where his internal monologue won't be visible to the viewer at all times.

It shouldn't have taken near this long to get it off the ground. Wasn't Peter Jackson involved at some point early on?

With the Neill Blomkamp movie that eventually turned into District 9, yeah.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

If it were anything but Showtime I'd already be out. But if it's going to be premium cable I'm still interested.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Though I wish focus was elsewhere, a retelling of John and co. being kidnapped and indoctrinated into the Spartan program, would be a great jumping off point. John is silent-man behind the mask now, but as a kid and teenager he had a bit more zest to him.

The timing's perfect if you ask me. Halo's been out of the spotlight for a bit, blockbuster television is huge, and the technology is there that they can actually deliver convincing CGI.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Or just in time for a massive Halo: Infinite launch.

If the series will go well, this will probably be a huge public boost for the franchise and Halo: Infinite.

Agreed. Since that Infinite trailer you can feel the ground swell. The series will be perfect timing for a resurgence in the franchise.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Or just in time for a massive Halo: Infinite launch.

If the series will go well, this will probably be a huge public boost for the franchise and Halo: Infinite.

It's gonna be pretty hard to sell this show to the mainstream audience if the protagonist is a mostly-taciturn guy in a mecha suit and a helmet whose face is never shown. That might go over well with gamers, but audiences aren't going to identify with him.

OP
OP
Klobrille

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's gonna be pretty hard to sell this show to the mainstream audience if the protagonist is a mostly-taciturn guy in a mecha suit and a helmet whose face is never shown. That might go over well with gamers, but audiences aren't going to identify with him.
Are you implying the "mainstream" (or in this case: the Showtime audience) doesn't know who Master Chief or what "Halo" is?

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The money and resources needed to turn Halo into a TV show must be eye watering.

If they get it right though? It could be spectacular. Time to get on the Halo Infinite and TV show hype train!

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
That's kind of a bummer. Was hoping for something more in line with the first few episodes of Forward Unto Dawn, which was great until, well, Master Chief showed up.

I want to hear the full quote, though. "A lead character" can mean a lot.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are you implying the "mainstream" doesn't know who Master Chief or what "Halo" is?

Yes. Gamers know what Halo is, but if you're trying to sell a show to audiences on a subscription-based premium network like Showtime, you're already looking at a niche of a niche. Expecting all of those people to know and care about Halo is folly, and expecting unversed viewers to be willing to tune in to a show where the protagonist is a faceless dope in a helmet is similarly not the kind of risk you want to take.

If this creative team wants this show to have any chance to succeed outside of gamer circles, you're going to end up seeing John without the helmet fairly often, and you'd better make your peace with that now.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I don't want to be a huge downer but I feel like the Halo craze is long gone. A decade ago this would of been amazing.

Not to mention I feel like a huge part of the Halo fanbase doesn't really care to "get beneath the formidable armor of the Spartans and really getting inside the team drama". It's much like making a COD tv show.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

From Gamespot.

Longtime fans of the Halo franchise might find that odd, given that Master Chief has never shown his face. What other TV shows feature human characters that remain faceless? However, according to Levine, the issue of Chief never unmasking is central to the show.

"It is a key question and an important part of our series is all I'll say," he teased.

All aboard, lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
From Gamespot.

All aboard, lol.

I mean, they can try. But it's not going to really work very well for general audiences who don't already care about Halo unless there's another protagonist to get them invested in the concept. Chief isn't interesting enough on his own to carry a show, especially if he never takes the helmet off.

he takes off the helmet every other comic now, there's no reason to pretend like it's a mystery in any adaptation.

It's not about the mystery. It's about audiences having a face to identify with and emotions to connect to. A faceless mask can't do that.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'm cautiously optimistic, the long term handling of the Halo world/characters is one of the most disappointing things to me in all of gaming but there's still so much to mine there so it could be incredible.

Also kinda confused about the helmet thing, I thought they've shown him at various ages in what I assumed were canon bits of story/marketing, it shouldn't be an issue either way they go really.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to be a huge downer but I feel like the Halo craze is long gone. A decade ago this would of been amazing.

Not to mention I feel like a huge part of the Halo fanbase doesn't really care to "get beneath the formidable armor of the Spartans and really getting inside the team drama". It's much like making a COD tv show.
If there is a good story to tell in an interesting science fiction universe, why does it have to be popular to be made? The Expanse didnt become a tv show because it was a hot property.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Halo has been in development forever at this point. They even had Alex Garland working on it for a while (known for 28 Days Later, Ex Machina, Annihilation - his feature script was alright).

Iunno if this is a property worth adapting >.>

Peter Jackson was producing a Neill Blomkarp directed movie yeah, but that fell through and turned into District 9 instead.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
They better fix the armor. It looked so bad in Forward Unto Dawn, needs to look weathered not clean and shiny.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Master Chief being the lead is a good sign. I was afraid we were going to get some random marine dude who is just some average Joe trying to get by like an unfortunate amount of other generic Hollywood protagonists. I was also afraid the budget was going to be low and not do the grand scale of the games justice, but they seem to be going all out with this so that's good to know. Ultimately, only time will tell if this will be any good.

OP
OP
Klobrille

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes. Gamers know what Halo is, but if you're trying to sell a show to audiences on a subscription-based premium network like Showtime, you're already looking at a niche of a niche. Expecting all of those people to know and care about Halo is folly, and expecting unversed viewers to be willing to tune in to a show where the protagonist is a faceless dope in a helmet is similarly not the kind of risk you want to take.

If this creative team wants this show to have any chance to succeed outside of gamer circles, you're going to end up seeing John without the helmet fairly often, and you'd better make your peace with that now.
If all that matters in your eyes is being able to "identify" with a character, who do you think people will identify with - Peter Parker that changes its actor like I switch my underwear or ... The masked Spider-Man? Do you really believe "identifying" with a character is only possible when you see a human face? You act like as if the Master Chief is just some piece of plastic without any character, origin or story. You are very wrong on this one. And it will be the job of this series to deliver this to the viewer.

I can't tell you today if they will deliver on this obviously. No one can. But if they focus on making this a story-driven and emotional series - and not some flat Michael Bay-like explosive sci-fi stuff - then I see a high chance for this to be a success. The things I'm reading on this IGN article are definitely steps into the right direction.

Last edited:

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
If there is a good story to tell in an interesting science fiction universe, why does it have to be popular to be made? The Expanse didnt become a tv show because it was a hot property.

Becasue this is a video game adaptation using the Halo brand to draw fans in, but as we all know video game adaptations never work becasue they don't understand what made the games popular. Halo never got popular for its team drama. It got popular becasue it was a big budget first person shooter where you could shoot aliens.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they can try. But it's not going to really work very well for general audiences who don't already care about Halo unless there's another protagonist to get them invested in the concept. Chief isn't interesting enough on his own to carry a show, especially if he never takes the helmet off.

If the writing is strong and if they nail the Chiefs role and get a good ensemble cast which tell exciting stories and it all looks incredible will you really care?

Halo is the name that piques the interest and generates the headlines but its the quality of the output that'll get people tuning in each week. To be dismissing it off the bat without us really knowing anything seems a bit premature to say the least.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least they got having Master Chief be a "lead" character right. Everything else more or less is up in the air. I think that is a mess in the making but hopefully they can pull it off.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

They started to really inject his book personality into the games with 4 and 5 which showcase it a lot better imho.

Edit:
I think his spoken dialogue went up by like 500% from 3 to 4.

Good video showcasing that.
----

Honestly with how they're phrasing the description, makes me think will be about Blue Team.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
ODST and Reach made me realise how much I want to see that universe from perspectives that aren't a Spartans.

I'm fine with this.

Oct 27, 2017

It's not about the mystery. It's about audiences having a face to identify with and emotions to connect to. A faceless mask can't do that.

I get what your saying but they can easily execute it if they world build around him you can say the same about any other video game adaption. if they build the world and characters right around him it can work

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Becasue this is a video game adaptation using the Halo brand to draw fans in, but as we all know video game adaptations never work becasue they don't understand what made the games popular. Halo never got popular for its team drama. It got popular becasue it was a big budget first person shooter where you could shoot aliens.
If it is good sci fi, then people will be interested regardless of the name behind it. With The Expanse continuing to gain popularity, there will be people interested in more sci fi.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I get what your saying but they can easily execute it if they world build around him you can say the same about any other video game adaption. if they build the world and characters right around him it can work

It can work, but they're putting a huge number of complications right in their own path by focusing the entire show around a character who's physically incapable of emoting. Unless they show scenes of him with the helmet off or do an under-the-visor view like Tony Stark's helmet-cam in the MCU films, the Chief will always look kind of like a clunky action figure or a CGI robot, and that's going to by default make it more difficult for audiences to identify with him.

Like I said, if he's just part of an ensemble cast, they're fine. No worries there. But if he's the primary focus, it's going to be a hard sell for anyone but Halo fans.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
... que?

I don't know how that can work in a good way.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
If it is good sci fi, then people will be interested regardless of the name behind it. With The Expanse continuing to gain popularity, there will be people interested in more sci fi.

I mean, The Expanse is an adaption of the book and kept what made the book good. Halo is going to be an adaption of a video game trying to make it work as a tv show.

Not to mention The Expanse isn't pulling in really great numbers. It got canceled and brought back purely because of the very vocal fanbase. Halo is going to end up a lot like Defiance which also had a video game counterpart.

Wedzi

Jul 17, 2018
The original Halo movie project couldn't get off the ground do to failing to agree on a proper budget.

I just hope Showtime steps up to the plate money wise. Give me some good effects, spaceships, maybe even some practical effects for the Covenant.

Also there's no way they would make this show without THE character and poster boy of the franchise. Which means there's a good chance Cortana might play a large role in humanizing Master Chief.

Anyone have any idea when this will take place? Halo CE?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
If they don't remove Chief's helmet, they can get Steve Downes to do his voice still!

Or Alex Puccinelli who did Forward Unto Dawn, a good enough impression for a younger chief.