• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vinnykappa

Oct 27, 2017
It was during an Ready Player One promotional interview in Japan. The source is in Japanese:
https://tvfan.kyodo.co.jp/feature-interview/interview/1147818

Rough translation:
- Does director have actually played VR game?
- I played "Mario" etc on PlayStation. I did not want to remove goggles when I first did it (laugh). When I removed the goggles, I did not like the disappointment that "Why nothing on earth?" In VR, I experienced every direction 360 degrees, so I thought that it was an unbelievable world and I was fascinated. I wanted to go to the world.

-監督は、実際にVRゲームをプレーしたことはあるのでしょうか。
プレイステーションで「マリオ」などをやりました。最初にやったときはゴーグルを外したくありませんでした(笑)。ゴーグルを外したときの「何だ地球じゃないか」というがっかりする感じが嫌でしたね。VRでは、360度、全方向の体験ができたので、信じられないような世界だと思い、魅了されました。

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Probably his way of saying that he tried Lucky's Tale at one point and Mario/Playstation was the first words that came to mind.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
"Mario" may just be a generic name he's giving to whatever platformer it actually was.

Just like every console you ever owned was a "Nintendo" to many.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo burying the axe and expanding to Playstation?

Or simply Spielberg sees everything as Mario?

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
He probably saw some blurred colours and was like yeah I know what's going on here, definitely.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
If he's in Japan, maybe he played Mario Kart VR? It's at a pretty popular place called VR ZONE right now.

"PlayStation" means video games to old people.

Feb 22, 2018
Maybe Speilberg is making the Who Framed Roger Rabbit of video games. He's making the ultimate crossover game. A new Oculus Mario game played exclusively with a Dualshock 4 or Playstation Move. Featuring Nathan Drake, Kratos, Master Chief, Conker, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine going back in time to 1993 and telling a Sega/Sonic fan you just played the latest 2D Sonic game on the latest Nintendo console.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe he played it on a Virtual Boy?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
when the worlds most popular mascot meets the worlds most popular console...and you're too old to know what you're talking about.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steven has never played a video game in his life except maybe ET on the Atari.
Spielberg was a super hardcore gamer back in the eighties, he owned arcade cabinets that he would bring from sets to sets of movies he was working on. You can find scans of interviews with him about this, and he's posing with some of his collection at his office.

He's also behind the first Medal Of Honor game

edit: http://www.slashfilm.com/steven-spielberg-arcade-game-movies/

He's probably referring to that homebrewed VR Mario Kart game.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
He might have played that Mario Kart VR thing and got confused. I believe the headset that was used was a Vive.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like that kid at school who lied about everything to sound cool

"I've played a special Playstation that lets you play games from every system"