• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
No president has ever been impeached by the Senate, so that talking point continues to be bullshit.

When both Nixon and Clinton were impeached, there was none of this "we need to do more investigations" bullshit because an impeachment proceeding is inherently an investigative tool.
The last thing we want to do is pass articles of impeachment (in this case, solely for being a racist and not any of his obstruction of justice or other crimes or abuses of office) in the House without any hearings, which is essentially what Rep. Green was proposing. Even if they voted to impeach the motherfucker, they'd have done nothing to sway or inform the public before handing the matter over to Mitch McConnell's Senate for trial. It was a dumb stunt that was doomed to fail.

OP
OP
floridaguy954

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
The last thing we want to do is pass articles of impeachment (in this case, solely for being a racist and not any of his obstruction of justice or other crimes or abuses of office) in the House without any hearings, which is essentially what Rep. Green was proposing. Even if they voted to impeach the motherfucker, they'd have done nothing to sway or inform the public before handing the matter over to Mitch McConnell's Senate for trial. It was a dumb stunt that was doomed to fail.
Bad argument:
The most hypocritical thing about this is that internal polling had Americans voting to NOT impeach Clinton in the 90s but guess what?

They went through the impeachment trail anyways! They proceeded with the impeachment trail for Clinton for offenses much less egregious than what Trump has openly said and done.
Swaying public opinion isn't necessary.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being racist isn't criminal. Hopefully there is another vote after Mueller testimony.

High Crimes don't have to be criminal. It's about the high standards of the position

Tell me if this sounds familiar

That said Andrew Johnson, President of the United States, unmindful of the high duties of his office, and the dignity and proprieties thereof, and of the harmony and courtesies which ought to exist and be maintained between the executive and legislative branches of the government of the United States, designing and intending to set aside the rightful authority and powers of Congress, did attempt to bring into disgrace, ridicule, hatred, contempt and reproach, the Congress of the United States, and the several branches thereof, to impair and destroy the regard and respect of all the good people of the United States for the Congress and legislative powers thereof, (which all officers of the government ought inviolably to preserve and maintain.) and to excite the odium and resentment of all the good people of the United States against Congress and the laws by it duly and constitutionally enacted; and in pursuance of his said design and intent, openly and publicly, and before divers assemblages of the citizens of the United States, convened in divers parts thereof to meet and receive said Andrew Johnson as the Chief Magistrate of the United States, did, on the eighteenth day of August, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-six, and on divers other days and times, as well before as afterward, make and deliver, with a loud voice, certain intemperate, inflammatory, and scandalous harangues, and did therein utter loud threats and bitter menaces. as well against Congress as the laws of the United States duly enacted thereby, amid the cries, jeer, and laughter of the multitudes then assembled and in hearing.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even people who support impeachment voted to table this stunt
This. Stop supporting poorly thought out and lazy politics. If you want every dem in every seat to always "do what's right" then do the fucking work to give them veto proof majorities. Until then stop losing your shit because a politician is being political.

This selfish crusade for moral satisfaction will never be important enough to gamble with literal life or death issues.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Y'all ever see a take so bad you immediately have to assume it was posted by a Russian troll farm trying to cause a ruckus?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
User banned (permanent): Long history of disruptive and aggressive behavior, hostility towards members and staff

FTFY.

Including Era. We are fucking doomed. I just hope that when shit hits the fan, I will be at some place safe. Brazil isn't one of them, neither is the USA. I don't see how things could possibly get better without the escalation of a full blown world war, and it sucks because I made my living believing in the law. Believing in the system. Believing that people like me could hack the system and make this a better place.

Era seems like a safe place, but fucking isn't . If my head wasn't in a cool place, this place would be fucking toxic as fuck for me. And we question ourselves because shit like Etika happens. We are killing each other. We are punching down each other.

If I get a ban out of this, that's fucking ok. I just ended a relationship but I'm eager to meet this girl that I've been quite infatuated with but fate magically brought us together after we both just broke up. I don't really care about box office records and shit like that. I care about things that make me hopeful in the world we are fucking living in. I care about escapism, in order to be ready to fight in real life, with real world issues.

Do you want to break me, clique Era?

YOU. FUCKING. CAN'T.

The real world around us is worst than you but not even them could.

Would I be sad if I got banned? Yeah. I would. But I don't fucking feel welcome here, and when this place started, it felt like a safe haven from all the shit that is going on in the real world. I don't really blame Era for becoming a fucking monster. The world went to fucking shit. I get that, but I wish we could stand together, you know? My home team just got a big win. My life doesn't suck. I'm proud of the life I lead up until here, regardless how hopeless everything else, including fucking Era makes me feel. But this is the nightmare we are all living in, isn't? "Go out there and vote". I will. And I will fight. I have all the reasons for it.

I don't feel like I belong in this place. I'm fucking sick of the cliques and get hammered down every fucking day. This was supposed to be fucking safe haven for people like us. I've met crazy nice people. But the bad far much outweighs the good, and this goes all the way to the fucking top chain. Yep, I'm drunk, happy, crying and kinda proud of myself for having the guts to spell this shit out. We were supposed to be way fucking better than we are right now. We were supposed to not allow fucking bullies to thrive and shit over people like we do here.

And yet, we fucking are not. This has become a place of fucking cliques and shit like just the "old place" and other shitholes in the internet. And when all the people at the top are complacent, what makes this places better than the other places again?

And I'm fucking sick of it. Our world is fucking sick. Thank fucking the force I have a kick ass support system, thank the fuck I have good people, real life people around me. Because if I was suicidal, this place isn't fucking healthy. This place isn't healthy not even for people that are fucking healthy. We need to get fucking better on how we treat each other. The world has gone to fucking shit. Yes, FUCKING YES, ban permanently the bigots, the white supremacists, the homophobes, the transphobes, the racists, the sexists, the fucking rapists. But we need to learn to have more fucking empathy among ourselves, and remember that this was supposed to be fucking safe haven. Not for the fucking cliques. But for every fucking one of us.

And if this is my last post around these parts, I am fucking damn proud of it. Banned or not, it just fucking might. Sick of this shit.

Last edited:

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No president has ever been impeached by the Senate, so that talking point continues to be bullshit.

When both Nixon and Clinton were impeached, there was none of this "we need to do more investigations" bullshit because an impeachment proceeding is inherently an investigative tool.
Nixon wasn't impeached.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I am currently in a US history class and it's amazing to see the ups and downs in political parties. But God damn, if there were ever a time for the Republican Party to be down it would be now, yet somehow it's stronger than ever.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FTFY.

Including Era. We are fucking doomed. I just hope that when shit hits the fan, I will be at some place safe. Brazil isn't one of them, neither is the USA. I don't see how things could possibly get better without the escalation of a full blown world war, and it sucks because I made my living believing in the law. Believing in the system. Believing that people like me could hack the system and make this a better place.

Era seems like a safe place, but fucking isn't . If my head wasn't in a cool place, this place would be fucking toxic as fuck for me. And we question ourselves because shit like Etika happens. We are killing each other. We are punching down each other.

If I get a ban out of this, that's fucking ok. I just ended a relationship but I'm eager to meet this girl that I've been quite infatuated with but fate magically brought us together after we both just broke up. I don't really care about box office records and shit like that. I care about things that make me hopeful in the world we are fucking living in. I care about escapism, in order to be ready to fight in real life, with real world issues.

YOU. FUCKING. CAN'T.

Would I be sad if I got banned? Yeah. I would. But I don't fucking feel welcome here, and when this place started, it felt like a safe haven from all the shit that is going on in the real world. I don't really blame Era for becoming a fucking monster. The world went to fucking shit. I get that, but I wish we could stand together, you know? My home team just got a big win. My life doesn't suck. I'm proud of the life I lead up until here, regardless how hopeless everything else, including fucking Era makes me feel. But this is the nightmare we are all living in, isn't? "Go out there and vote". I will. And I will fight. I have all the reasons for it.

I don't feel like I belong in this place. I'm fucking sick of the cliques and get hammered down every fucking day. This was supposed to be fucking safe haven for people like us. I've met crazy nice people. But the bad far much outweighs the good, and this goes all the way to the fucking top chain. Yep, I'm drunk, happy, crying and kinda proud of myself for having the guts to spell this shit out. We were supposed to be way fucking better than we are right now. We were supposed to not allow fucking bullies to thrive and shit over people like we do here.

And yet, we fucking are not. This has become a place of fucking cliques and shit like just the "old place" and other shitholes in the internet. And when all the people at the top are complacent, what makes this places better than the other places again?

And I'm fucking sick of it. Our world is fucking sick. Thank fucking the force I have a kick ass support system, thank the fuck I have good people, real life people around me. Because if I was suicidal, this place isn't fucking healthy. This place isn't healthy not even for people that are fucking healthy. We need to get fucking better on how we treat each other. The world has gone to fucking shit. Yes, FUCKING YES, ban permanently the bigots, the white supremacists, the homophobes, the transphobes, the racists, the sexists, the fucking rapists. But we need to learn to have more fucking empathy among ourselves, and remember that this was supposed to be fucking safe haven. Not for the fucking cliques. But for every fucking one of us.

And if this is my last post around these parts, I am fucking damn proud of it. Banned or not, it just fucking might. Sick of this shit.
Of course you had to come in here and make it about you.

Just fuck off already, Zatt.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That was a vote to go directly to the impeachment vote without doing any of the impeachment hearings before that, which is the worst way to do it anyway.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say that it's better to focus on the election than on distractions that don't seem likely to actually happen, better to focus on the real goal instead of this stuff

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck? I was under the impression the Dems controlled the House? While I understand it would've probably only be symbolic, since I can't see a way it would've passed the GOP-dominated Senate, it still would have sent a strong and powerful signal. Fucking hell, almost 60% (!!) of the so-called Democrats voted against it as well... That's an outrageous amount of people claiming to oppose Trump yet at the same time vote the opposite direction. These opportunistic politicians should be banned for getting into the House on false promises, only to protect and serve their own hide.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
What the fuck? I was under the impression the Dems controlled the House? While I understand it would've probably only be symbolic, since I can't see a way it would've passed the GOP-dominated Senate, it still would have sent a strong and powerful signal. Fucking hell, almost 60% (!!) of the so-called Democrats voted against it as well... That's an outrageous amount of people claiming to oppose Trump yet at the same time vote the opposite direction. These opportunistic politicians should be banned for getting into the House on false promises, only to protect and serve their own hide.

They do, but controlling the House isn't entirely that easy. Even the best Speakers have trouble with their caucuses and the entrenchment of conservative culture with constituencies in large numbers makes it harder to keep everyone happy.

Sending a powerful signal would be wonderful, however, doing that requires ignoring the conservative politicians or those who run in conservative areas to sacrifice themselves and not everyone can do that. Particularly when their successors will likely be Republicans or identical Democrats.

Except they're not simply protecting their own hide, your solution would be ceding that territory to the GOP instead. Which would be worse then what we have now. It's bad enough with the senate being conservative, that solution would turn the House into that, too. There are a lot of conservative people in the US, and many in those red and purple states like Trump. They're not in safe blue seats like in New York, and even California isn't immune from conservative take over, both Arnold Schwartzneggar and Ronald Reagan were governors there.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
You have to wait until Pelosi amasses enough political capital to impeach Trump. Once Pelosi unsheathes her political capitol (focus tested 1000 times), then we can impeach him.
Don't worry, maybe once Ilhan Omar is literally murdered by a Trump supporter under the instructions of the President, maybe Pelosi will half consider maybe trying to get Trump out of office.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised, regardless of whether this was supported, expecting many Democrats to be bold versus the Trump onslaught is a pipe dream at the moment. Short term 'pragmatics' probably won't add up.

The two party system needs die...it is trash democracy.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that as many people voted in favor of this particular motion is a sign of how much support there is for impeachment among House democrats. This particular motion was always going to be doomed to fail but it's easy to see how the wind is changing

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
User warned: personal attack
How do you think impeachment works?
I'm not going to respond to you when it's clear how little you care about Ilhan Omar and her safety and how you're going to go on the same long-winded rant you always do about leftists and Bernie Sanders and how the Senate is needed to impeach and all the other shit you learnt about in Middle school civics class and never really analysed any further(half this forum has you on ignore for a reason buddy, noone likes talking to you, I can't imagine how insufferable you'd be in real life so maybe that's why you only post online 24/7.)
Nancy Pelosi and the crop of anonymous establishment dems constantly taking pot-shots at the Squad certainly don't seem to care with how quickly they threw her under the bus, leading us into this whole mess where the president of the United States is openly calling for the deportation (not a stretch to think he wants her dead either) of a black congresswoman. These are the people you're siding with, even your regular liberal friends are turning against Pelosi. The only thing Pelosi has done is the equivalent of a strongly worded letter against Trump while not calling him a racist specifically, just that his words are racist. Real good opposition to fascism here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hopefully if nothing else this kinda stuff just gets more people on board with impeachment. The more pressure the better.
FTFY.

YOU. FUCKING. CAN'T.

giphy.gif

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'd be ok with tabling this if Dems were actively planning on starting impeachment hearings, like... yesterday... but they're not so...

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You forgot the other 23 dimensions that she operates in, my friend. Once every thing is perfectly aligned in every dimension, Pelosi will... propose a bipartisan solution that will setup the republicans for even more trouble at some point later, maybe.

You joke but her political acumen is why she is such an effective leader. She understands the nuances of our political system and will never waste a punch.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can say it all you want, but taking an impeachment vote will do nothing even if it succeeds while the GOP is is in control of the Senate and complicit in Trumps behavior and actions. So what is your goal? He gets impeached by the House. The Senate votes and acquits. Then what? You have only done one thing, which would be embolden the right and independents who are on the fence who may have supported him in the past. Impeachment is meaningless without the conviction in the Senate. Clinton was Impeached. What did that do? Nothing, because the Senate acquitted him. There was no red wave as the Dems gained seats in the house in the next 2 election cycles. Nothing good will come of this if there is no conviction. And I want them to impeach him in the house, but understand it will do nothing but make some people feel better.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can say it all you want, but taking an impeachment vote will do nothing even if it succeeds while the GOP is is in control of the Senate and complicit in Trumps behavior and actions. So what is your goal? He gets impeached by the House. The Senate votes and acquits. Then what? You have only done one thing, which would be embolden the right and independents who are on the fence who may have supported him in the past. Impeachment is meaningless without the conviction in the Senate. Clinton was Impeached. What did that do? Nothing, because the Senate acquitted him. There was no red wave as the Dems gained seats in the house in the next 2 election cycles. Nothing good will come of this if there is no conviction. And I want them to impeach him in the house, but understand it will do nothing but make some people feel better.
You cite Clinton and ignore Nixon.

You cite Clinton and ignore impeachment happened in earnest after 98 and then largely ignore what happened in 00 (citing the House is funny given what transpired elsewhere).

You claim "Energized" with no evidence and as if it can only energize one party and not the other.

Edit -- You also claim it'll do "nothing" with no evidence because you've set up a removed/not removed binary.

These "my cynicism is actually intelligent, rational, and logical" takes are tiresome and ill-informed. Please study recent history.

Last edited:

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

You cite Clinton and ignore impeachment happened in earnest after 98 and then largely ignore what happened in 00 (citing the House is funny given what transpired elsewhere).

You claim "Energized" with no evidence and as if it can only energize one party and not the other.

Edit -- You also claim it'll do "nothing" with no evidence because you've set up a removed/not removed binary.

These "my cynicism is actually intelligent, rational, and logical" takes are tiresome and ill-informed. Please study recent history.

I don't know, he was more coherent. You're just railing against him.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nixon would have been convicted and removed from office had he not retired. He was told by GOP leadership that they had enough votes to convict and that he should retire to save him the embarrassment of being convicted and removed from office.

The house Impeached and the Senate did not convict.

Dems gained seats in the house after the impeachment not lost. The same could happen to the GOP of the Dems impeach and nothing happens.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Nixon would have been convicted and removed from office had he not retired. He was told by GOP leadership that they had enough votes to convict and that he should retire to save him the embarrassment of being convicted and removed from office.

The house Impeached and the Senate did not convict.

Dems gained seats in the house after the impeachment not lost. The same could happen to the GOP of the Dems impeach and nothing happens.

The Republicans lost 2 seats in 2000 while winning the House popular vote and the presidency.

I mean....is that supposed to be seen as some disastrous outcome?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, maybe once Ilhan Omar is literally murdered by a Trump supporter under the instructions of the President, maybe Pelosi will half consider maybe trying to get Trump out of office.
Why on earth would you think a conviction vote in the Senate would get Trump out of office at this point in time?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone think Trump will be removed from office? The dude sucks but stop with the forced moral victories

I'm still betting on him refusing to leave even if by some miracle he actually loses the election.

I'm half inclined to believe he might even stop the elections happening at all but, assuming they go ahead, he won't accept any result that isn't a landslide victory in his favour. His ego just won't let him.

If he somehow loses, he'll definitely accuse the votes of being rigged and either blame illegal immigrants or Russia. Heck he might even start spouting that QAnon crap. Either way he'll use every power at his disposal to overturn the results.

Donald Trump isn't leaving the White House peacefully and I don't think any politicians in America have the balls to force him to.