• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was kind of interesting, since they were only on the multiplayer for Gears of War 4.

That, or this game will have notably cinematic multiplayer modes.

Splash Damage said:
Cinematic Lead - Gears of War Franchise

As a Cinematic Lead at Splash Damage you will be responsible for planning, directing and delivering high quality in-game cinematics that will tie together gameplay and narrative through realistic acting, compelling action and expressive dialogs.
Storyboard Artist - Gears of War Franchise

Splash Damage is looking for a talented Artist to create cinematic storyboards and concepts to help us build stunning and inspiring art for an upcoming title. You'll be inspiring the team and helping visualize the narrative while collaborating with the Cinematic Lead to ensure that the visual style and pacing is maintained. You will help to establish the artistic vision for Cinematics and be highly film literate, with a good understanding of layout, composition, sequential drawing and editing.

As a Storyboard artist, you will

• Help establish and drive the visual narrative in collaboration with Leads.
  • Iterate and explore ideas based around the game and narrative design.
Source: https://careers.splashdamage.com/

You will notice there's several of these types of jobs here.

gearssplashdamageyxo6b.png

They're also doing an Executive Producer position on the game, so they might have a pretty prominent position in development.

Executive Producer - Gears of War Franchise

Are you excited to work on one of the best known, most loved gaming franchises of the last 10 years? Are you an energetic professional who thrives in a fast paced, low management environment? Do you like leading a team of passionate professionals and pushing them to exceed expectations? If the answer is yes to these questions, then Splash Damage is your next career move.

We are looking for a high impact, passionate leader to lead a large team of developers to deliver the next AAA hit.

gearssplashdamage2a8k94.png

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmm. Does this lend any weight to the rumours of The Coalition helping support work on a new Perfect Dark? Or am I adding 2+2 and getting 5?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is weird that they are freeing up the studio that was created to manage the GOW IP.

I hope that they are involved at least, it will be a waste to throw up all the expertise won in GOW4. I loved the game yet know that there was a considerable room for improvement

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting, so it may add more weight to the idea of Coalition working on more then just Gears.

They're such a talented studio, so i hope this is true.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm. Does this lend any weight to the rumours of The Coalition helping support work on a new Perfect Dark? Or am I adding 2+2 and getting 5?
Microsoft said The Coalition is exclusively focused on Gears as of January, so it depends if you believe them.

GamesRadar said:
When I asked a Microsoft representative about StoryLab's announcement, they re-confirmed that "The Coalition is exclusively focused on Gears of War" but left it at that.
Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/microsoft...with-the-series-but-this-leak-says-otherwise/

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Splash Damage has over 300 devs. Current projects are:
  • (small team) Dirty Bomb support
  • new IP for Wargaming
  • New unknown Gears of War project
  • (small team) Gears of War 4 multiplayer support
They have 73 open positions. That's a lot!

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The whole Gears 5 situation is extremely curious.

List of events:

- Leak about The Coalition helping out on Perfect Dark reboot
- Gears 5 doesn't seem to be coming soon going by the leaks
- CG studio that worked on Gears 4 puts out release saying they're working with The Coalition on a new IP
- same studio backtracks on these claims
- Microsoft announces a new Gears is in the works
- now this

If I had to put money on it, I'd say TC is divided into three teams right now. One is surviving as supplemental dev on a new PD (possibly with Rare at the helm), one is working on a new IP, and one is putting in the groundwork for Gears 5 along with Splash Damage. TC is a very talented developer so I'm pumped for whatever they put out.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know what the other games are?
One is Dirty Bomb, one is a game with Wargaming (World of Tanks) that we believe to be a strategic shooter, and one is a third person survival horror shooter.

The Wargaming partnership is technically for multiple titles, but it's not clear if they're making multiple at the same time.

N051DE

Oct 27, 2017
SEATTLE
All I remember this studio is for BRINK. Bought it at launch, it was probably one of my worst experiences in a shooter.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
That might be neat as it would free up The Coalition to make something else.

This, if them making Gears 5 allows the Coalition to do something brand new, that's awesome. Best of both worlds, a new Gears and a new I.P. This E3 is sounding to be pretty amazing. All of the tidbits we're hearing from all these sources is making Microsoft seen like they'r finally getting it. Exciting to be a Microsoft fan again.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Splash Damage has over 300 devs. Current projects are:
  • (small team) Dirty Bomb support
  • new IP for Wargaming
  • New unknown Gears of War project
  • (small team) Gears of War 4 multiplayer support
They have 73 open positions. That's a lot!
There's also this:

Apart from that, Splash Damage Group is developing several new games. It is worth noting that, a third-person survival horror shooter game masterpiece is in the preliminary development stage and is expected to start generating revenue in as early as 2018.
http://www.files.services/files/359/2017/0915/20170915170002_79513958_en.pdf

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I hope it's Gears Judgment 2 and The Coalition is working on Gears 5.

Because the world needs more Gears.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it involves an evolution of one of the best modes in Gears:
OverRun.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Great find. A "a third-person survival horror shooter" - couldn't that also refer to a new Gears game though?
"Gears of War Franchise", "Wargaming Partnership", "Dirty Bomb", and "Unannounced Project" are all separately listed on the jobs page, with the last seemingly having the most postings, so it seems to most fit with that.

I can see the argument for Gears though, but I'm not sure that's really a direct revenue generator in the same way, nor likely to come out in 2018.

Annihilator

Nov 10, 2017
West Fargo
Wait so the guys that made the worst version of horde ever now are going to get a chance to make a terrible campaign now too? Oh boy gears is in trouble if true.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Iirc there was a job listing a little while ago which mentioned vehicles in multiplayer. I think it's a spin off personally

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Fuck yes Judgment 2. Judgment was my most played Xbox game last year.

I loved it as well. I don't understand the hate, frankly, it was a lot of fun with a slightly more arcadey feel, very entertaining optional challenges in every encounter, the best visuals out of all Xbox 360 Gears games, and the superior control scheme (sorry!).

Anyway, I think Nirolak has jumped the gun slightly, perhaps Splash Damage are really working on a Gears spin-off of their own.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Iirc there was a job listing a little while ago which mentioned vehicles in multiplayer. I think it's a spin off personally
Someone mentioned in the previous thread that Rod Fergusson said Gears of War 5 would have lots of new gameplay elements now that they proved they could do the basic formula with Gears of War 4, though I don't know where they got that from.

Nov 14, 2017
Splash Damage has already remade Gears 1. Gears 3 remake? Maybe they are just helping the coalition make Gears 5. I have to believe this game is years out still. I think Gears formula needs to change. The campaign needs a radical new look and feel. I have played all the Gears game I bored with the linear gameplay.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Someone mentioned in the previous thread that Rod Fergusson said Gears of War 5 would have lots of new gameplay elements now that they proved they could do the basic formula with Gears of War 4, though I don't know where they got that from.

They did talk about that on a few occasions, like here, for instance:

Eurogamer said:
While they maintain that the devil is in the detail, Fergusson and Osieja both concede that Gears of War 4 is a little on the cautious side in terms of its core mechanics. "It's hard to [take risks] when you're taking over the franchise for the first time," protests Osieja. "We have no credibility. Outside of Rod and a couple guys we brought from Epic, none of us have made a Gears game before. Who the hell am I when it comes to Gears?"

Fergusson confesses that he had anticipated more pushback from returning players during the initial reveals and the Xbox Live beta. "I was expecting to have to defend ourselves more around whether we were credible as Gears of War maker. But people accepted it really fast, and I was like 'oh crap', and I had to pivot to 'look at all the new stuff!'" It was important, he adds, for The Coalition to "show respect" for the series before starting afresh - an evidently well-rehearsed choice of words that recasts Epic's trilogy as a war veteran, to whom due reverence must be paid.

Eurogamer said:
"We came in a little bit tentative because we felt we needed to prove ourselves," adds Fergusson. "When I started here there were lots of great innovative ideas that I felt were just too outside the box, for a studio that hasn't proven itself. There's a lot of room now to push the campaign further, mess with the formula a little bit, because people will just see it as the natural growth of our game, versus messing with it in order to mess with it."

And I really hope for some more pronounced changes to the Gears formula, Gears 4 definitely felt too familiar overall.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
That's interesting.

Maybe Microsoft is going "Sony's" way, letting The Coalition cock up a new IP, hence the need for a strong\big studio to help out The Coalition with Gears of War 5, since they wouldn't be 100% on it.

Oct 28, 2017
What a waste of their strengths as a studio. Unless they're doing some sort of interesting asymmetrical multiplayer, can't say I'm interested and I love Splash Damage.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
just give me a MP only Gears game. Still have no touched a second of the campaign in Gears 4.

at this point with the lootboxes and MTX they're getting all the map funding they need already.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I loved it as well. I don't understand the hate, frankly, it was a lot of fun with a slightly more arcadey feel, very entertaining optional challenges in every encounter, the best visuals out of all Xbox 360 Gears games, and the superior control scheme (sorry!).

Anyway, I think Nirolak has jumped the gun slightly, perhaps Splash Damage are really working on a Gears spin-off of their own.

Ha! So I'm not the only one.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
They deserve it. Splash damage is a fantastic MP developer. Really wished this was for Wolfenstein though.