• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
This guy on youtube reckons Gears 5 has been delayed to next gen. And that its not Gears 5 they are working on but some kind of Gears XCOM style spin off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5WeJO33ljY
0.jpg

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
All I remember this studio is for BRINK. Bought it at launch, it was probably one of my worst experiences in a shooter.
Yeah, BRINK single-handedly killed any interest that I'd have for future Splash Damage products. Splash Damage is such a weird studio to me. It more or less made a name for itself with the Market Garden map for Return to Castle Wolfenstein's multi-player. (I never personally cared for Market Garden, but I feel as though I'm in the extreme minority in that respect.) And that somehow made it so Splash Damage (and only Splash Damage) pursued development for games with Return to Castle Wolfenstein's style of objective-based multi-player.

The studio then went on to develop the multi-player component for the sequel, which ended up being Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and lacked any sort of single-player campaign (since the single-player stuff being developed by - I believe - another team just wasn't coming together). Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was certainly popular, but I still think the only reason it was "better" than Return to Castle Wolfenstein was because it was completely free. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory just lacked the polish that Return to Castle Wolfenstein had, in my opinion; it just felt as though the new stuff was the stuff that simply didn't work as well as it should've. Plus, so much of the new stuff was just borrowed from various mods for Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but people obviously latched onto Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory because it was free and - as such - had a larger player base.

Anyway, fast-forward to Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, which mixed the classes (not to mention the setting) up more and was decent, but was definitely a step down compared to even Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. The game's physics were limited to 30 fps unless you unlocked it via the console or the appropriate config file, so it generally felt terrible, as well, even if you were getting 60+ fps from a graphical standpoint.

And then BRINK. Ugh. I can't understand what was so wrong with the game play formula up until this point that Splash Damage saw fit to change so much. The S.M.A.R.T. system was terrible and pointless; if it didn't exist, then the maps could've essentially played the same had the developers just not littered them with random crap. The reliance on buffs and leveling just completely screwed up the balance. And the manner in which buffs and whatnot allowed you to snap to your teammates just introduced exploits that more or less negated the size and speed differences between players. Such a mess.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
This guy on youtube reckons Gears 5 has been delayed to next gen. And that its not Gears 5 they are working on but some kind of Gears XCOM style spin off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5WeJO33ljY

To be honest I'd like a turn based strategy game similar XCOM. You could have a small COG squad and you take turns placing them behind cover to get at the enemy.

It could also be a PlayAnywhere title with cross play support as you don't need to worry different control schemes having an advantage as it's turn based.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I loved it as well. I don't understand the hate, frankly, it was a lot of fun with a slightly more arcadey feel, very entertaining optional challenges in every encounter, the best visuals out of all Xbox 360 Gears games, and the superior control scheme (sorry!).

Anyway, I think Nirolak has jumped the gun slightly, perhaps Splash Damage are really working on a Gears spin-off of their own.
Though I'm not a huge fan of judgement, why the control scheme isn't even an option in Gears 4 annoys me. It's the controls that literally every other shooter now uses, why not even give players the option? Talk about being stubborn and purposely alienating some players. Judgement had some awesome modes like free for all as well.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going with the assumption there are two Gears games being worked on now, one being Gears 5 and the other a spin off. I imagine they first try to shake things up with the spin-off and, if successful, may incorporate things from it into Gears 5.

I do love the idea of TC helping on a PD revival though.