• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
5b4f3454c757e.jpg

This interview was done a few days ago, but I was surprised to see that nobody did a thread on it. It had a few interesting tidbits of info, but here are some of the major points.
  • Rank X
    • The amount of active players in Rank X is a bit more than the initial players who were S+ 10 and above. Though this number is stabilized as Rank X power is reset every month and people with low power ratings get demoted. They explain the reason for why more people are in rank X is because more S+'s are trying to aim for it.
  • Music
    • When designing the music they thought that time has moved on and the trends and style of music have changed. This is expressed by having different bands appear, but when version 3.0.0 came along they wanted to balance that with a band from the previous game appear with Chirpy Chips.
  • Octolings (Non-Spoilers)
    • They planned Octolings since the start of Splatoon 2's development. However they didn't want to have Octolings suddenly be playable without an explanation, and wanted to find a way that could both explain that, get the player to empathize with the Octos and Off the Hook, which became the result of Octo Expansion.
You can check out the rest of the interview in the links provided in the Source section.

Source: Famitsu (translated by the Splatoon subreddit)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So maybe 2% of players are in rank x? Sounds about right. Sad to hear that Squid Squad broke up

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
The single player content and salmon run are so good that most of my playtime is that. I got so sick of the multiplayer. Even more so than OW or TF2.

The online structure, matchmaking, tickrate and control are all things that slowly turned me off.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Rank X
  • The amount of active players in Rank X is a bit more than the initial players who were S+ 10 and above. Though this number is stabilized as Rank X power is reset every month and people with low power ratings get demoted. They explain the reason for why more people are in rank X is because more S+'s are trying to aim for it.

It's not really stabilized. They really need to raise the minimum X rank power to like 2100 or higher. Even 2000 might be acceptable. Right now it's something crazy low like 1800.

The reason why more people are in X rank now is because S+ became much easier once players that made it difficult went up to X.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like the bit about the Octolings being introduced into the main game. Love the lore in the squid game.

Now about that 16 Hz refresh rate since it isn't ever getting improved amirite lol...

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of cool lore bits in this, thanks for sharing!

He mentions that Inklings are carefree and pleasure-seeking whereas Octolings are serious and hard-working. That's definitely the vibe I got from the game, and it makes me like Octolings more than Inklings. They are so downtrodden, they deserve better :(

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people in Rank X is around the same for each mode except Clam Blitz with the lowest percentage, probably as it was introduced later in the game.

more like solo Clam Blitz is fucking garbage and is a sure fire way to break your tv and console

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The jump from Hero Mode to Octo Expansion sure is something.

Hero Mode: Mean ol' DJ Octavio as stolen the Zapfish again! It's up to you to save the day!

You are trapped in a cage created by an insane AI who wants to chop you up in a blender and add your grounded up corpse to thousands of others in a gigantic slurry, which will then be used to power a laser that will destroy the entire planet and give rise to the ultimate lifeform.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
For Ranked I want:

^ This Way!
< You had one job!!
> Turn around!
v Booyah!
Even better: Default d-pad has offensive commands, L+d-pad has defensive commands

Offense:
^ This way!
< Push them back!
> With me!
v Nice job! / Booyah!

Defensive:
^ Need help over here!
< Defend this! (Might change with Clam Blitz, TC or whatever mode like: defend the basket! Defend the tower! Defend the rainmaker! Etc)
> Be careful!
v Retreat!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I suck at this game so much. I am only capable with the basic gun model and everything else is just a buttfumble disaster.

Oct 27, 2017
Also I suck at this game so much. I am only capable with the basic gun model and everything else is just a buttfumble disaster.
Play Salmon Run. It's the best way to learn how to use other weapon types better. And then when you find one you like test it out in Turf War, where you don't have to worry about your rank on the line

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
more like solo Clam Blitz is fucking garbage and is a sure fire way to break your tv and console

Hahaha. I turned around on CB and find it really rewarding solo. There is so much really valuable information to parse, and anticipating your teammates is about as important (maybe more) than your opponents.
Once I started learning to read the match, and find the right tools to really affect it, I started having more fun. Hitting Rank X helped too. There is some coordination, even in solo queue, among good players.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The jump from Hero Mode to Octo Expansion sure is something.

Hero Mode: Mean ol' DJ Octavio as stolen the Zapfish again! It's up to you to save the day!

You are trapped in a cage created by an insane AI who wants to chop you up in a blender and add your grounded up corpse to thousands of others in a gigantic slurry, which will then be used to power a laser that will destroy the entire planet and give rise to the ultimate lifeform.
dJRxqEr.png